Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:30   #46
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Yamaha Fazer 600+ CC i guess would suit the best.
Exactly, something in the tourer line. But I just checked the Yam site and its not on their line up. When is it gonna be launched in India? Dad wants a first hand gaadi with clean papers too!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:01   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 826 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Frankly i don't see any 600s being launched in the near future.Yamaha has not even started putting up an assembly line for the 600s.
Oh yes i hope you know that no bike below 800cc can be sold in india as a CBU.Its by law.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:44   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 1,526 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
My 60-year-old dad wants to buy a superbike!!! He has always been a biker... RD 350, Yezdi Roadking, RX 100 he has driven it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
After months of search, including dozens of trips to Dreambikes (for seeing Busa, Intruder, Bandit) and even Pro Biker (for Ninja baby), we had nearly narrowed our choice down to just one -- Suzuki Bandit, then came Harley with the Iron 883. Dad, just had a chat with the Mumbai Harley guys, might go there this weekend. Bandit is a low maintenance bike, than's where Busa and Intruder got ticked out of our list. How is this Harley 883???
Leepower,

With a riding history basically on all 2 stroke legends of yore, your dad is not going to be too happy on HD Iorn.

Though entry level - its not something to be written off. It can have sustained speeds of over 140 KMPH on good roads. It has an ultra low level seat and a really attarctive price tag (I saw it advertised at INR 5.5 Lakhs in Bangalore - Hindu of 28th Dec).

HD is medium maintenance bike, from the experience of my fellow bikers here. Its is the extras (one tends to add to a HD) that eats in to ones pocket.

Bandit is a good bike if your dad is comfortable with its ridding position. This would also depend on how tall he is.

Old school bikers like me (I am 50+) find sustained riding in a forward bend position little uncomfortable, often.

Ideally he should ride both (HD & Bandit) and then decide. Also a crucial part would be where he wants to ride.

If its Pune then the open roads out of town could be a HD country (to me a Bonniville Country - when I get her to India in the near future).

Also as Suped99 suggests Ducati Sport Slassic GT1000 is worth looking in to as well.

Once a biker always a biker.

Best regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 3rd January 2011 at 21:47.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 00:35   #49
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Leepower,

With a riding history basically on all 2 stroke legends of yore, your dad is not going to be too happy on HD Iorn.

Though entry level - its not something to be written off. It can have sustained speeds of over 140 KMPH on good roads. It has an ultra low level seat and a really attarctive price tag (I saw it advertised at INR 5.5 Lakhs in Bangalore - Hindu of 28th Dec).

HD is medium maintenance bike, from the experience of my fellow bikers here. Its is the extras (one tends to add to a HD) that eats in to ones pocket.

Bandit is a good bike if your dad is comfortable with its ridding position. This would also depend on how tall he is.

Old school bikers like me (I am 50+) find sustained riding in a forward bend position little uncomfortable, often.

Ideally he should ride both (HD & Bandit) and then decide. Also a crucial part would be where he wants to ride.

If its Pune then the open roads out of town could be a HD country (to me a Bonniville Country - when I get her to India in the near future).

Also as Suped99 suggests Ducati Sport Slassic GT1000 is worth looking in to as well.

Once a biker always a biker.

Best regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

My dad's around 5.11 and well build. He knows a lot more about bike maintenance as he had driven a Chang Jiang solo while he was in China for around 2 years. Ducati Classic GT1000 is good. Will check that out also when we go to Mumbai.
Thanks
P.S. Any idea about when Triumph is coming to India?

Last edited by Leepower : 5th January 2011 at 00:38.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 00:52   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 826 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

5'11 and well build.Trust me you don't want to go for a ducati then.Those really are miniature bikes for us well built guys.very very uncomfortable for even small rides.

Perfect bike for a well built guy-Hayabusa.

Its also good enough for a first timer because of its modes.Its like a tame 300cc bike in the C mode.Just perfect for purring around town.and graduate through the modes as your father learns.

A friend has just bought a Busa.He too is a first timer.He just rode it initially in the c mode.Now he's slowing getting used to the b and a modes.But he still loves it in the c mode.Says it takes a lot of responsibility off the right hand.And the new busa is a good handler too unlike its predecessor.

I would really say your dad should test ride one.Dreambike guys are pretty good and should offer you one for a test ride.

Its a big comfy scooter as my friend calls it.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 01:00   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 1,526 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
P.S. Any idea about when Triumph is coming to India?
Leepower, that is a Million Dollar question with no answer yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Its also good enough for a first timer because of its modes.Its like a tame 300cc bike in the C mode.Just perfect for purring around town.and graduate through the modes as your father learns.
Navpreet,

I think you have not read the previous posts here. Lee's dad is a veteran biker who has ridden almost all bikes in cluding the "giant killer" RD 350. Saying "as he learns" would be like "teaching a squirrel how to climb a tree"

As I and many have said before "once a biker always a biker"

Best Regards & DRIVE/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 01:16   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 826 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Well Mr.Ram point was that since everyone was suggesting 600cc bikes so that his father can have an easy bike.So anyone would infer that Mr.Leepower is getting the idea that his dad might not be able to handle the bigger capacity bikes.

More so it is the general notion that these big cc bikes are very tough to ride and handle.
That is why i gave that reference.
On another note good that his dad is an avid biker and then he won't have any problem riding any superbike.All it takes is simple biker sense and any bike can be ridden.

On one more note the RD350 is no giant killer.Its a fast bike by any standards but comparing an RD350, and that too of the previous years when the 2 strokes were not as powerful as now with the digital cdi's, to a superbike is like chalk and cheese.

A superbike is a precision tool.the kind of speeds it can reach in the first couple of gears is what generally catches people offguard.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 22:13   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 1,526 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Lee,

Hope you and your dad has seen this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-report.html

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 00:06   #54
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

After more than a year of hunting around for superbikes and countless test rides, which included three visits to Harley showroom in Mumbai, my padre has zeroed in on NINJA 250R. He has opted for the Black one... Waiting period is 120 days... Wow what a way to end a year!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 00:27   #55
BHPian
 
Furebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 312
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
After more than a year of hunting around for superbikes and countless test rides, which included three visits to Harley showroom in Mumbai, my padre has zeroed in on NINJA 250R. He has opted for the Black one... Waiting period is 120 days... Wow what a way to end a year!!!
Whoa! what an abrupt way to close the thread, Ninja 250?? Seriously?

Anyway congrats...Please TRY to explain why you decided to go with the 250!
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 02:45   #56
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Whoa! what an abrupt way to close the thread, Ninja 250?? Seriously?

Anyway congrats...Please TRY to explain why you decided to go with the 250!

Ninja 250r is an entry level sports bike i.e. after you master the art of riding this baby monster, you can conquer bigger monsters easily. Dealership is in town, low maintenance, affordability

When we started our hunt there were no Ducatis, Ninja 650rs, or Hayosungs. But now the market is just opening up.
We had nearly bought the Bandit. But he wanted a sports bike, not a tourer.
Harleys were also out of the list as according to him "New Harleys can only be driven in a straight line". (I love Harleys, but I didn’t want to force him)
He had been to the Ducati showroom in Bangalore. Was quiet impressed also. But Ducati showrooms started closing down left, right and centre. So stayed as far away from them as possible.
What ended his obsession with bigger CC bikes was a Honda NSR 250r. A friend owns one and he happened to ride it. Man was he blow away by the ride. But he wanted to buy a first hand bike which could give him atleast something like NSR. (I even suggested that we could get a good old 2stroker RD 350 and do some mods like expansion chamber and stuff… he rejected it outright)
Then he started looking for bikes with small heart but oodles of power and voila Ninja 250r is the only choice in that segment. And most importantly, this is just a temporary ride. He would be upgrading after he masters this one.

P.S. I am not too happy about its exhaust note. Which after market exhaust is best: Yoshimura, Two brothers or Leo Vinci. And where can I buy them???
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 02:53   #57
BHPian
 
Furebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 312
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
And most importantly, this is just a temporary ride. He would be upgrading after he masters this one.
Ahh, This is the news I wanted to hear! If it is a temporary one then good choice. At least your dad can get the hang of it...
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 03:02   #58
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Ahh, This is the news I wanted to hear! If it is a temporary one then good choice. At least your dad can get the hang of it...
Yes sir, I am glad that he is finally getting a ride. And any guesses on who will get this baby once he upgrades.... ME

Last edited by Leepower : 21st December 2011 at 03:05.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 10:35   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 60
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Yes sir, I am glad that he is finally getting a ride. And any guesses on who will get this baby once he upgrades.... ME
So the push for 250 might have come from you also!
Even the new Ninja 650 might have been easy on him as far as riding comfort and handling was concerned. The 2012 model does look attractive.

120 days for Black? Last time I checked in Sept'11, it was 90 days for black and 30 odd days for Green.
Shrek_924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 10:44   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT - Its a Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I am not too happy about its exhaust note. Which after market exhaust is best: Yoshimura, Two brothers or Leo Vinci. And where can I buy them???
First off, congrats to your dad on the new bike. Wishing him a speedy delivery, happy ownership and safe rides.

Regarding aftermarket pipes let me warn you that the ninja 250 will sound like a dirt bike at higher revv's with any brand of pipes. Please dont expect it to sound like an RD or even an inline four.

That said, you can source Akrapovic or Yoshimura from Performance Racing Store or Leo Vince from Bachoo Motors. They ship all over the country.

Akra and yoshi have deep bassy notes while LV's are slightly flat. Listen and buy would be my suggestion.

If you want the best, then as far as reports go (from the US ninja forums like Ninjette.org) AreaP full system exhaust is the best as it gives the highest power bump compared to any other competitor. Next in line is the Dan Moto exhaust which has a nice deep bassy rumble. Unfortunately these are not available here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
And any guesses on who will get this baby once he upgrades.... ME
Haha. Thats nice. Glad she's gonna stay within the family circle.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha Fazer 250" and the Honda CBX 250 Twister devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 19 13th November 2013 14:25
Ninja 300R & 400R to be launched. EDIT: Ninja 300 Launched @ Rs.3.5L exshowroom Delhi jkdas Motorbikes 89 11th April 2013 11:07
Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250? Edit - Bought a used Ninja 250 RacerByHeart Motorbikes 45 17th September 2011 10:51
Kawasaki Ninja or Honda CBR 250 R or Suzuki GW 250??? ierocks Motorbikes 10 25th March 2011 12:08
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:48.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks