Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 10:59   #1
BHPian
 
throttleking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 336 Times
Default Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)

Guys,
I am Planning to buy riding / offroading boots, found three available options RJays thats costs around 9k, Sidi that costs around 14k and Alpinestar which cost 16k+ and 20k+ respectively. Due to budget constraints I am contemplating to buy RJays or max Sidi, But not sure about the quality and protection it offers. Please share you opinion on all three brands.

RJays : Cost 9k
Name:  RJays.jpg
Views: 6810
Size:  69.3 KB

Sidi : B2 Costs 14k
Name:  sidi.jpg
Views: 9126
Size:  246.5 KB

Alpinestar : Costs 16k+
Name:  Alpinestar2.jpg
Views: 6666
Size:  105.5 KB

Alpinestar : Costs 20k+
Name:  Alpinestar.jpg
Views: 8209
Size:  77.1 KB
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default

Hey Sagar, long time since we caught up man.

I'm planning on a pair of boots myself and am doing a fair bit of research at the moment before i decide to spend a small fortune on it.

Looking at the pics itself I can safely say that the quality of the boots in terms of looks and ability to withstand abuse notches up with each pic of the RJays, Sidi and A*.

Best best is to go for Sidi if you can't afford the A*. RJay's are also good but wont last as long as either the Sidi's or the A*'s.

Since you are in Pune, why dont you check out the boots at planet dsg? For details : www.planetdsg.com.

P.S. Quality comes at a price and since this involves your personal safety, go for nothing but the best. Wait a month or two if you have to but dont risk your life and limb wearing something that is not going to protect you.

Keep us informed of your purchase and do post a review on the product.

Edit - ensure that the boots you buy has ample protection for your ankles and shin.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th September 2010 at 12:20.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 13:35   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I have been using SIDI (the exact same ones in the pic above, in blue color), i bought them from performance racing store mumbai. I can say they are very comfortable, they are getting softer and taking the shape of my feet with every ride.

As for A*, a friend of mine picked up a pair in Malaysia for just Rs 7000/-, he swears by them, i dont have any feedback on Rjays so cannot comment.

A piece of advice though, when you go to buy the boots, make sure you try them on with the socks you would usually wear for your rides. I tried them on with thin dress socks, and later they a felt a bit tight with sporty adidas socks.

Also, after every ride, i stuff my boots with newspaper, this keeps them in shape and also absorbs all the moisture and perspiration.

All the best
sachinwadhwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 14:42   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default

The only experience I have with riding boots is with Setup, which is a subsidiary unit of the Sidi, but is no longer marketed in the US, therefore relatively unknown this side if the planet too.
I have had them for close to two years now, and they have only gotten better after every ride. They did not really need any breaking in as such, but did take a lot of getting used to due to the toe plates. If the Setup build quality and ownership experience apart from the really good reviews I have come across for Sidis is anything to go by, I'd strongly suggest getting yourself the Sidi B2.
Heck, from the pictures they even seem to look 5K better than the Rjays!

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 23:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,208
Thanked: 4,835 Times
Default

Joe Rocket? It has good riding boots too.

I personally don't find much difference between Joe Rocket and A* and IMHO it is the brand value associated.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:40   #6
BHPian
 
throttleking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 336 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hey Sagar, long time since we caught up man.

Since you are in Pune, why dont you check out the boots at planet dsg? For details : www.planetdsg.com.

P.S. Quality comes at a price and since this involves your personal safety, go for nothing but the best. Wait a month or two if you have to but dont risk your life and limb wearing something that is not going to protect you.
Hey man, good to hear from you too, you should come for the bombay-pune meet which happened at Big Wheels.

Yes checked the planetdsg, no options other than A*.

lets, i will keep you posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwadhwani View Post
I have been using SIDI (the exact same ones in the pic above, in blue color), i bought them from performance racing store mumbai. I can say they are very comfortable, they are getting softer and taking the shape of my feet with every ride.

As for A*, a friend of mine picked up a pair in Malaysia for just Rs 7000/-, he swears by them, i dont have any feedback on Rjays so cannot comment.

A piece of advice though, when you go to buy the boots, make sure you try them on with the socks you would usually wear for your rides. I tried them on with thin dress socks, and later they a felt a bit tight with sporty adidas socks.

Also, after every ride, i stuff my boots with newspaper, this keeps them in shape and also absorbs all the moisture and perspiration.

All the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The only experience I have with riding boots is with Setup, which is a subsidiary unit of the Sidi, but is no longer marketed in the US, therefore relatively unknown this side if the planet too.
I have had them for close to two years now, and they have only gotten better after every ride. They did not really need any breaking in as such, but did take a lot of getting used to due to the toe plates. If the Setup build quality and ownership experience apart from the really good reviews I have come across for Sidis is anything to go by, I'd strongly suggest getting yourself the Sidi B2.
Heck, from the pictures they even seem to look 5K better than the Rjays!

manson.
Yup, so i am now contemplating to buy Sidi, look protective, good and value for money. Right now strugling to get the right size, I am sure RJay must be good too.

@ Sachin, yes man i will try it on sports socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Joe Rocket? It has good riding boots too.

I personally don't find much difference between Joe Rocket and A* and IMHO it is the brand value associated.
Agree with you, but availability of JR is a problem.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:35   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post

Agree with you, but availability of JR is a problem.
Have you checked with Performance Racing Store, they apparently have packages coming in from Joe Rocket every other day. So if you can affirm your sizing and the boot that you really want, I'm guessing they should be able to help you nail the boot for you.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:44   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 826 Times
Default

Last time i visited the Performance Racing Store a month back they had a few boots from Joe Rocket.

I fact i'd like to say that from looking and feeling both the Alpinestars and Joerocket in hand i feel that Joe rocket is a tad better than Alpinestar.

Alpinestar do a wonderful job at photography.So everything looks awesome until you see and feel it in your hands.Also the Alpinestars Sizing is non standard.

The finish on the SMX2 boots that i was planning to buy was below what i had thought of looking at the pics.

I'd say you have a look at Performance racing store before putting your money down.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 13:35   #9
BHPian
 
Fantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 122
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hey guys, how's it going? thought i'd throw in a bit of input on the boots for my very first post here at bhp. first on the rjays, i can't comment as i've never even heard of the brand. it's not one of the regulars or big names we have over here.

sidi i have a pair of and they've been my only street riding boot for the past ten or so years. still in great shape and comfortable to ride in. have protection in all the needed places.

now the alpine stars, great brand that's been around for ages. the first pic you've posted shows the boots have venting and what appears to be perforated leather. i would assume in a climate like india's that would be a very important feature for general use and comfort. in the end i don't think you'd go wrong with either the sidi's or a stars. just try 'em before you buy 'em.

throttle you also mention for "off road" use......i'm not quite sure what you guys refer to as "off road" out there but if it means the same as it does to us out here none of the boots you've shown would qualify. you'd be better suited with a moto cross type boot for off road riding.

lastly i don't know if they'd be available out there but sneaker manufacturer puma has gotten into the motorcycle shoe/boot game. i own a pair of their shoes for shorter commutes in the city and they work well. have extra padding around the ankles and heels. they are however more of a high top sneaker vs. an actual boot hence the use for shorter commutes. there is no venting and on hot days aren't the greatest. not a huge issue as we don't have a heck of a lot of them here. i've heard good things about the actual boots they make as well. i don't know what pricing would be like in comparison...i'd assume in the same neighbourhood so probably worth a look.

take care and happy/safe riding.

Last edited by Fantasy : 11th September 2010 at 13:51.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 16:36   #10
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

i find the question pretty lame, sidi any day, astar and sidi are both italian companies making riding boots since donkey years, sidi has an unbelievable reputation for riding boots, i would recommend sidi over astars, sorry to say this but rjays don't even come in this comparison..

cheers..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 03:09   #11
BHPian
 
prasadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 564
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
i find the question pretty lame, sidi any day, astar and sidi are both italian companies making riding boots since donkey years, sidi has an unbelievable reputation for riding boots, i would recommend sidi over astars, sorry to say this but rjays don't even come in this comparison..
What can be wrong about comparing three brands/products that are at hand? They are all priced differently, there certainly is a difference in branding, & quality as well. Google tells me RJays is an Aussie brand, that has an extensive line of biking gear. http://www.rjays.com.au/home/media/p...itude-Boot.jpg
Its half the price of A* when the bike is dumped and the boots scuffed, it would be half as painful to dump Rjays than A*s.

Disclaimer: Have never owned this Aussie branded products, just tried to put the critical comment in the right perspective.

Last edited by prasadee : 13th September 2010 at 03:12.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 03:12   #12
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
What can be wrong about comparing three brands/products that are at hand? They are all priced differently, there certainly is a difference in branding, & quality as well. Google tells me RJays is an Aussie brand, that has an extensive line of biking gear. http://www.rjays.com.au/home/media/p...itude-Boot.jpg
i agree with you but what i mean was any biker who watches racing or is a racer knows who sidi & astar are, i didnt mean to bring rjay brand down, they are good no doubt but if you have the budget nothing like Astar & sidi when it comes to boots, again not bringing rjay down.

Cheers..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 13:55   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

When do you guys use these ? .I mean daily use / touring /track blast ?

Offcourse you cannot use them daily . If you use , how will you guys walk .

Why not go in for all weather all purpose boots which you can use day in and out ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 17:38   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
When do you guys use these ? .I mean daily use / touring /track blast ?

Offcourse you cannot use them daily . If you use , how will you guys walk .
This is exactly where the comfort level of riding boots matters. I have worn my Setup riding boots even while just riding out for coffee, evening spin to get a bite etc, and they feel no different than say a pair of steel toe boots.
The Alpinestar range is most very track focussed, and are not the most comfortable to be in whilst just 'hanging out' though.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 22:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,208
Thanked: 4,835 Times
Default

I am eying Joe Rocket as my next riding boot purchase. Found it to be comfiest. Better than 'street burner'
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ciaz vs City boots : The mystery of the matching luggage! slicvic The Indian Car Scene 39 24th June 2016 10:48
Schumi likely to hang up his boots (again) libranof1987 Int'l Motorsport 75 5th October 2012 18:01
'Xing'ing around ! - HathiSingh Temple, Sidi Saiyyed Mosque & a Haveli in Ahmedabad. hotstuff Travelogues 3 9th June 2010 15:30
tips on riding this old classic devarshi84 Motorbikes 20 12th October 2005 02:51
Karizma - Long Riding Redshark Motorbikes 16 4th April 2005 13:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks