Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd October 2010, 18:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Pointless discussing about the C5 in this thread.

I don't quite understand the design, I understand the twin exhausts even less. Lets see how it performs.
Will keep my fingers crossed for a twin at this price point (1.5-1.75)!
Even i am intrigue about the twin exhaust. Are they both in working condition or is one of them light-weight dummy?

If they are really working, its kinda cool to have dual exhaust from single cylinder.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th October 2010 at 22:17. Reason: Guys Lets just keep the Bullet out of this thread, thanks
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Even i am intrigue about the twin exhaust. Are they both in working condition or is one of them light-weight dummy?

If they are really working, its kinda cool to have dual exhaust from single cylinder.
It is nothing new. The good old 250cc Jawa/Yezdi had twin, working exhausts from a single cylinder and had excellent pick-up as a result.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:57   #108
BHPian

It truly amazes me that in this day and age, with all the tools and resources at our disposal here in India (let alone with international collaboration) and with design awareness being at an all-time high, that anybody could have come up with something so downright HIDEOUS! It also (from the pics) has a really tacky, plastic look and feel to it, very reminiscent of Daelim's stuff. Look how that bombed despite them supposedly being rather decent bikes.

Ultimately, I know its each to his own, but with every company in India up-ing the ante as far as design quality is concerned (ref. the FZ, R15 and even the Indian models - Apache, RE Classic, Pulsar), this really is a new low. The discussion about 'real bikers' being unconcerned about looks is actually rather condescending.

I don't think anybody WANTS a bad looking bike. You might choose to compromise on the looks but at 1.75 lakhs (plus taxes) why should you?! Wouldn't you be really a lot happer about putting down that cheque if it looked slick? I honestly think that had Mahindra just outsourced this to a half-decent design house it would've paid dividends.

When a co. with no credentials in the two-wheeler segment puts out a new product at nearly 2 lakhs (which I expect it would approach after taxes), its certainly a risky move (I personally feel its crazily overpriced) and I would imagine they would want to give it every possible chance of success.

With this design they really shot themselves in the foot. If it succeeds, it will be in spite of the design rather than because of it.

We haven't even begun to gauge performance though have we. And then it'll be all about the after-sales service. Something which has killed many a decent product before.
RT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:58   #109
BHPian

I don't know what to make of the Mojo.

What I like about the bike is the top drawer cycle parts - Paioli suspension, radial mounter discs, EFI (Ducati) and Pirelli tires.
But overall I not convinced with the bikes look.

Also Mahindra has not done itself any favors by pricing it so high. At this point the Baby Ninja looks so much better. Even if you are a Pulsar 220 owner the Mojo does not warrant a significant upgrade.

The production starts only in Jan 11 and the test rides will be given on payment of a deposit or something to that tune, this is ridiculous.

All the best Mahindra selling this.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:03   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post

When a co. with no credentials in the two-wheeler segment puts out a new product at nearly 2 lakhs (which I expect it would approach after taxes), its certainly a risky move (I personally feel its crazily overpriced) and I would imagine they would want to give it every possible chance of success.

With this design they really shot themselves in the foot. If it succeeds, it will be in spite of the design rather than because of it.
Totally with you on this one. Come to think of the the Malaguti concept bike on which the Mojo (sic!) is based on looks quite nice.

Malaguti MR250 concept bike.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:29   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Totally with you on this one. Come to think of the the Malaguti concept bike on which the Mojo (sic!) is based on looks quite nice.

Malaguti MR250 concept bike.
Thats a rather nice looking bike alright.

Personally, that tubular frame mated to the little triangular side panel (splease feel free to give me the right terminology for that) still seems a little awkward but it isn't anywhere near as ghastly as the Mojo. In the Malaguti looks fairly nicely integrated for some reason.

The Mojo also has the rather bulky-looking liquid cooling setup below the tank and a fairly pointless scoop below it which detracts from the naked look the Malaguti is able to pull off.

And is it me or is the fork-frame angle rather pronounced as compared to the Malaguti? I think less of an angle would've reduced that gap between the fork and the engine, making it look more taut.

The front headlight setup is just a write-off.

I actually think anyone with cajones enough to buy it should just first rip off the setup and junk it. Then either make it a naked setup or try using an FZ or something of the sort. This one just looks plain bug-eyed. As if a snake suddenly sat up in front of it and scared the crap out of it.

And whats this weird stuff about test-rides only on a downpayment?!?! Kawasaki doesn't even do that for the Ninja!!

Crazy...

Last edited by RT13 : 4th October 2010 at 13:30.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:31   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Thats a rather nice looking bike alright.
The front headlight setup is just a write-off.

And whats this weird stuff about test-rides only on a downpayment?!?! Kawasaki doesn't even do that for the Ninja!!

Crazy...
Mahindra have, I think bought the design from Malaguti it seems because the design is the same except the headlamp which i totally bonkers.

And whats with the twin exhaust for a single cylinder engine? At this rate a used Ninja makes a lot more sense.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:59   #113
BHPian

The Mojo looks more of a disappointment as we really need more competition in the 200+ cc class of motorbikes. The Ninja, though a great bike, is a bit of a cheat in this competition as it is a foreign bike with a low foreign price tag. I am now hoping that Honda or Suzuki will come up with a designed-for-India 250 cc bike.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:33   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is nothing new. The good old 250cc Jawa/Yezdi had twin, working exhausts from a single cylinder and had excellent pick-up as a result.
1X2 makes even less sense on a 2 Stroke.

In the MM, the 1x2 screams 'form over function', tick all the right checkboxes, without understanding. And for me this is cause for concern.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:43   #115
BHPian

3 days after launch but mahindra2wheelers.com still displays a big fat coming soon. What gives?

I am not sure Mahindra quite understands the 2 wheeler business and the passion it evokes among riders.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:32   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very very disappointed at the Mojo. Why does Mahindra have to always end up making their vehicle Gaudy. Look at the RD350. It looks beautiful after all these years. I feel the Mojo will not be everyones cup of tea given that it looks like a dragon fly on steroids. This one is definitely not for me. I'd rather wait for a 2xx or 3xx from Honda or Yamaha or a 3xx from Bajaj.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 09:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
1X2 makes even less sense on a 2 Stroke.

I don't think so, my friend! The Jawa was considered an over engineered machine in stock form and was easily modified to 25 BHP in race/rally trim. May be some technical guys (I am not one) can comment on the twin exhaust ports in a single cylinder.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 21:43   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

I don't think so, my friend! The Jawa was considered an over engineered machine in stock form and was easily modified to 25 BHP in race/rally trim. May be some technical guys (I am not one) can comment on the twin exhaust ports in a single cylinder.
Yes. Best we wait for experts comments. In any case discussing 2 strokes on the Mojo thread is way OT.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 00:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Looks a horrid design, not sure of the target market but I would not ride pillion on one let alone buy one.

Mahindra have taken on DC's role of churning out these 2 cent pimped up designs.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 11:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Mahindra have taken on DC's role of churning out these 2 cent pimped up designs.
Actually, I think they might have actually benefited from hiring someone like DC to work on the design for them.

DC pimps out cars to look better than whats under the hood. A sheep in wolf's clothing if you will.

The Mojo is actually the reverse. From what we've been told about the specs, its a decent engine in a lousy skin - more like a wolf in pig's clothing.

I don't know if people here are going to be offended by me saying so, but the first TVS Fiero which came out was just such a weird design. But, it performed well, was reasonably priced and was made by a company with a long and trusted history in two-wheeler manufacturing. They even evolved the design and discarded the old one as they went along. Importantly, their customers weren't really risking much at that price tag.

At nearly 2 lakhs, this is a real test of blind faith for a Mojo buyer.

A test which is really silly to force a customer to pass.

I just don't get it...