Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th September 2010, 03:42   #1
BHPian

Default Mahindra Rodeo - Initial Ownership Review

Have been wanting to write this for almost a month now (since the first service of the bike)

Decision to buy Rodeo

I own an enticer and use it 90% of the time. But we also had a kinetic honda that was used by my dad, younger sister and occasionally by me. It is basically pre-historic model (1994 ) and had run more than 65k. But the condition was so bad that everyone has been avoiding it in last couple of years. Finally it needed a minor accident by sister on kinetic to decide to ditch it. So it was time to find a replacement for it and i took full responsibility for it . After all nothing more fun than reading bike/car reviews and going through the whole process of buying it.

One major difference i found while searching for scooter when compared to geared bikes is the total lack of variety in scooter .
While you can get bikes from 100 cc to 250 cc with wide varying power outputs as well looks, almost all scooters have the same performance and look kind of similar too. In other words you are unlikely to make a great decision nor a bad one in picking one over another.

Having figured that out, i decided to prioritize my objectives and decided to go a better looking and newer bike rather than old model. Since i wasnt going to ride it primarily, performance wasn't a major point. So this was my list:

1. Looks
2. Convenience
3. Performance

In this order. I am not concerned that much about mileage either. We were planning to use it that much to be worried about fuel consumption.

Rejections:

Scooty, Kristal - Too small.
Activa, Access and Duro - Bland and boring looks.
Aviator - Too bulky and wasnt better than activa except having disk brakes
Wego - Just had released and honestly didnt find many reviews at all in any site or magazine.
Flyte - Looked like scooty but cost 10k more

So shortlisted Rodeo, Dio and Pleasure.

Rejected dio just because it was too common and rather an old model.
Decided to go have a look at showrooms and TD rodeo and pleasure.

Rodeo:

The staff was pretty courteous (at that time) accomodating. Got a scooter to test drive immediately. Rode it for some time and liked it very much. The instrument console was mind blowing. I have rode lots of bikes and feel only the new karizma has better looking console. Probably only scooter having digital display, tachometer and trip meter. Another major factor was front fueling. One of the most convenient features. Looked like decent pickup. Overall nothing to complain.

Pleasure:

Looked beautiful and kind of feminine . The show room guys wanted me to wait for some time to get TD. I just looked around, took quotation and came back. It was smaller than i thought.

Decided to buy rodeo primarily for front fueling and digital console. Booked dark blue as it looked kind of cool.

The guys at showroom were pain in the *** once i booked it. They told will get the bike in 3 days and took 2 weeks giving excuses like all staff went for a marriage !! to an out station and so on. Was damn frustrating to say the least. This was after the cheque for the bike was cleared. And then I go the bike they didnt registration number for few days asking me not to ride in main roads with excessive policemen !! After a long time i actually lost my temper and had to speak extremely rudely to the salesperson there. That helped i guess and eventually got registration number !!
It cost Rs 50,500 in bangalore. During initial bargaining, i got few minor things free like teflon coating, seat covers etc. But price was not reduced.

Actual Review:

First service was done around 500 kms and it has so far done around 750 km. Based on this experience, these are my observations.

Looks and comfort:

The scooter does look very good but fairly small though it isnt small in terms of dimensions. I have got lot of good looks from people all around and complete strangers have even enquired about the scooter. The funnier part is all my friends have seen me in Enticer for 5-6 years now and they cant bear to see me in puny scooter. They break out in huge round of laughter each time they see me !!
The seat is pretty comfortable and leg space is good. I am 5 11 and i have fair amount of space even while riding doubles. It is 105 kgs kerb weight (which is only marginally less than activa) but feels much lighter.

Engine and Performance:

125 cc Engine with 8 bhp.
Unfortunately haven't add the pleasure of revving it as i am still in break in period. Pickup seems good even in doubles.
The engine isn't as refined as Honda's and there is a minor jerk sometimes. You feel an additional thrust while accelerating. But fairly silent at lower speeds (under 50).
Breaking seems ok though nothing spectacular.

Ride and Handling:

Since i am more used to geared bikes, i am not sure if i am able to judge this well. The tires are very small and that could be the reason i feel the ride to be kind of stiff and bumpy too.
The ground clearance is on lower side (but way better than kinetic honda). Only on huge speed breakers the lower side of rodeo touches the ground.

But handling feels good and turns in very well. It seems to bend well too for a scooter so might be fun at higher speeds.

Mileage:

As i said earlier mileage is not a big issue for me. But it was rather inconvenient. Due to front fueling, the tank is very small 4.5 litres.
The bike's mileage was also low atleast during break in period. It is giving around 32 kpl within city and i ride it very smoothly and rarely have crossed 45 kph.
So the problem is range of the scooter is low and i need to refuel kind of often which is irritating to say the least.

Other Features:

Front fueling is very convenient and so is trip meter.
Digital Fuel gauge is pretty accurate.
Also has 0-50 kph timer !! Though not sure how many people riding a scooter would play with that.
There is a mobile charger though i dont use it.
Since there is no fuel tank under the seat, the storage space is huge there. 22 liters or something. You can keep a big helmet and small bag along with it.

So overall i would give 8/10 for it. The only major negative might be low mileage though the front fueling and other features easily make up for it.

PS: My dad and sister both seem satisfied with it though my dad did complain that quality of plastics wasn't very good. I dont really know much about plastics and stuff. So havent specified it.

PS2: Have come to US now and would be unable to speed test the bike once it crosses the break in period
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Rodeo - Initial Ownership Review-rodeo1.jpg  

Mahindra Rodeo - Initial Ownership Review-rodeo2.jpg  

Mahindra Rodeo - Initial Ownership Review-rodeo3.jpg  

baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey mate.. Nicely written review. Good choice of color as well. You might already know that the Rodeo is an upgraded flyte and the Duro is the upgraded Kinetic Nova.

And totally agree that the range of the scooter is very less. The puny fuel tank coupled with lesser mileage add to the agony of searching for fuel pumps often.

It would have been good if you had posted some pics of the new digi console on the scooter, but since you are out of country now, not sure if it would be possible.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 03:13   #3
BHPian

@Abhinav - Yes am aware that Mahindra bought Kinetic.

In fact the only difference between flyte and rodeo is the digital display in rodeo (analog in flyte) and front separate mudguard in rodeo while there is mudguard as such in flyte.
Rest of the specs are same.

This pic doesn't do justice to the digi console but this is what i got in quick search

http://bikeadvice.s3.amazonaws.com/w...deo-Photos.JPG
baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 08:56   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Rodeo - Initial Ownership Review

Anyone interested in mod jobs, I heard there are some performance tuning kits available at Taiwan for SYM engines. If you have any friends /contacts at Taiwan and very good workshop contacts locally you can go for a mod job for your sym scooter.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 14:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and nice review.I observe that indian scooters lack chrome accents everywhere and its kept very minimal.I wonder why?
Also please get a nice seat cover to remove the dealers name on the seat.Its looks akward.
Happy and Safe ride and do wear a good helmet.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 13:51   #6
BHPian

Digital console of rodeo rz aug 2012 model went off inlast weeks heavy rain at bangalore. I was lucky that it got repaired by mshaveer motors for 300.else for replacement price is around four k.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiju.dba View Post
Digital console of rodeo rz aug 2012 model went off inlast weeks heavy rain at bangalore. I was lucky that it got repaired by mshaveer motors for 300.else for replacement price is around four k.
But why pay for repairing? Your warranty should take care of it free right? I got my 2009 rodeo's cluster replaced in 2010 for free.

Last edited by nijelj : 9th June 2013 at 07:26.
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 07:15   #8
BHPian

Provided my rc book copy for address rectification. Which was a mistake done by the mahaveer dealer. More than a week i am pursuing this. Tje concerned person is not at all available at office. I am closely observing their actions. Will reveal my entire experience over this soon. Worst part is vehicle model name was duro dz in place of rodeo rz.
Old 16th May 2015, 14:16   #9
BHPian

It's been 5.5 years now with the rodeo. My impression is that Mahindra 2 wheelers need to get their service centres into shape
The different problems that I had;

1. Fuel piping gets cut if two people ride on it through the city: paid to replace the pipe the first time, then the mahindra core service team did some suspension updates and problem did not reoccur so often, but it did happen. Last week it happened again, but mahaveer motors,Bangalore did not replace the pipe, just cut the end and put back in again. I told them to replace it but no use.

2. Headlamps keep conking off if we use the horn: Kept replacing bulbs at ASS until I got tired of it and gave them an earful. They have done something because the headlamps have been ok since then.

3 The horn switch,headlamp switch was malfunctioning(it used to work intermittently) : Gave it to Mahaveer and they changed the switches and the horn and headlamp!! Again,unnecessary cost for me. To top it off, it seems they have cut up my entire wiring harness and rejoined it. But atleast the headlamps have not been a problem since then. Problem is now the team has changed at Mahaveer, so now the service looks at me as if I have taken it to some third-party workshop, which I never have. Now the turn indicator switch is malfunctioning. I'd hate to take it again to the ASS

4. Outrageous service cost: The service guy claims that we have to service the Rodeo every 3 months and it'll come to 'only' 1000rs/every time. I was like.

5. Accelerator cable gets stuck if you rev and take a turn: ThIs becomes permanent after some time. Then you use the brakes to keep the vehicle from moving forward. I didn't realise it then but using the brake when the accelerator is pressed is a strict no-no on these automatics. Had to get my entire clutch assembly changed due to that. This time when it re-surfaced, I took it to the service centre. The guy said that he would reduce idling for me and it should be fine. I told him to change the accelerator cable because I was in no mood to bear those clutch costs again.

6. Fuel consumption : it gives me 30kmpl on a good week.

Now the cluster does not give a proper tacho readout, the seat lock does not work and there have been several other niggles, too much to write down!

Overall, very very disappointed in this scooter. I bought this because of the feeling of patriotism and at that time TVS Wego was not in the market. Will buy a mahindra 2 wheeler, only if no other options exist.

Last edited by nijelj : 16th May 2015 at 14:21. Reason: some updates
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 15:48   #10
BHPian

2010- Rodeo. The CDI Unit started giving intermittent problems. The symptom is that the scooter won't start and I have to physically disconnect the unit and reconnect after a minute. Kind of becoming an expert in doing this now . Unable to source the spare even with ASS. I am at least happy that I made a good choice second time and bought Wego.
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 18:56   #11

Hey, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but my mum's Flyte is having the same issues described above. The throttle sort of gets stuck and the idling speed increases quite a bit. I actually have to hold the brakes to keep it from moving.

My question is, does anyone know where the idling adjust screw is? It's too painful to take it all the way to the service center. I looked around and for the life of me I cannot figure out where it could be.
Tomcat1011 is offline   Reply With Quote