Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th December 2005, 00:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

They should have sold it in China too.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 00:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Avoid it, dude. Seriously! There's a guy in my office building who owns one. I've seen that bike dismantled for 80% of its life. That's how difficult it is to live with. A diesel bike? Man, you gotta be really obsessed with fuel economy!
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 00:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

BUt wont be worth coz of the bills for maintaining it. And what if it stops at red light and you think it would start in one kick?

Get RE 350, the standard one. Still rules. Better would be RE Electra 5S,if you can afford.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

It was (still is?) the world's first diesel bike, allegedly. And hopefully the last, R.I.P !

In fact, the only other small capacity diesel in the market must be the one inside Tata's Ace. Everyone else seems to use that antique Greaves Lombardi engine.

It isnt the world's first Diesel bike. I know of Matchless making a diesel bike back in the early 60's. And the US army is developing a diesel bike that would put most trail bikes to shame. She drinks diesel and is being jointly developed by the US Dept. Of Defense and Kawazaki. The reasoning behind this is that they want a single fuel army and that petrol is more volatile and expensive and harder to store.

And not all the diesel powered 3 wheelers are using Lombardini engines like the Pugueot Ape. And for the record, the Tata small pickup is using the Indica engine with a new gearbox.
kylohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:25   #20
BHPian

Im sorry to repeat the US army developing a diesel bike in association with Kawazaki thingy. Didnt go through all the posts. OOPS!
kylohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 06:18   #21
BANNED

dude i still remember tht day when i went to buy a 2nd hand Taurus... took it for test run n u wouldn't believe i was standing on top of that damn kicker n tht stupid thing wont even go down... the owner started the thing for me... on my ride i saw thick smoke on the mirror... it was like a mini (old) train on the road... it vibrated like i was given 220V of current passing through my body...(well i had a good body pain for the next 2 days)... think the highest i tried on it was 40kmph.... coz the sound n smoke it was givin out was scary.. n in the end i made a good decision.... THT TRACTOR IS NOT GONNA BE MY RIDE....

its a bit exagerated.... but believe me... it really S***S
chullan_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 03:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Save diesel for Cars. Bikes are better off with a 2-stroke engines(If manufacturers ever develop a new technology) That 2-stroke simplicity is just perfect for a bike.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 07:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

this is pathetic piece of machinery,yes it is capable of 80kmpl but its i wonder if anyone can tolerate that autorickshaw type engine.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 08:41   #24
BHPian

hey orphe i dont think after reading these man tbhp telling no to enfi diesl you would go and buy.(seriously if u are planning keep a crane ready to lift the metal.)Ellse if u are really crazy for huge bikes buy a second hand enfi and mod u can find lot of models which have been moddded at xbhp so go for it and fast.coz delay in buyin a bike is really bad
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 18:34   #25
BHPian

A second hand bullet standard costing anywhere from 18-23k should be the perfect bike for you.
powerslave12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 18:13   #26
BHPian

I remember reading a review of the enfield Diesel quite a long time ago. I dont think they had anything good to say about it. Although they did mention that it was probably cheaper than walking
aggressive_anush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 02:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Its got a 8bhp pumpset engine. Heard it can give 80kmpl !. Its sluggish, difficult to maintain,start.

You do have to make a choice..power or mileage. Std Bulls does give 40+. CT100 gives 70+ so should be some HH bikes. Pulsar 150/Unicorn/ HH Achiever should be a good choice.

P.S. See that your post aint just HTML codes next time. Its a pain to read. I hope its just not me who sees your post with HTML code
80kmpl if it starts in the first place
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 03:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Orpheus, I am sure you have read what most folks are saying on this thread, they think its a big joke. However I feel that there are some definite positive points that everyone has failed to highlight for buying Enfield deisel. First things first, guys who have 12 lakh to spare, prefer Octavia over Carolla, the reason, caz those guys with that much money still care about mileage and running costs, so why shouldnt a guy earning 10k per month think about economy in his bike. I feel he is more entitled to worry about running costs than the guy who has 12 lakh. I feel that Enfield Deisel would be a good choice in your situation, you seem to love long drives so u wont be needing instant power on the tap like Karizma, but rather could do with the ride quality and the torque of your deisel enfield. Also most other folks have petrol enfields, so you would stand out in the crowd, would have a story to tell to everyone u meet. With 80 km per litre, you could travel from delhi to chandigarh in 150 Rs, thats even cheaper than a local bus. Yes, there might be some minor problems with spares, but I am sure any decent mechanic would be able to help you. Besides most Enfield owners themselves become mechanic after owning an enfield as even the petrol cousin has niggling problems, so by routinely fixing them, one gets used to them. So go ahead with your decision, I think you have made a great choice.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 17:40   #29
BHPian

In fact I remember reading about that army bike. Can't find the URL now. They made a prototype(think in the mid or late 90's), which looked like a dirt bike and had a bullet engine converted to diesel. It had a new cylinder head with a four valve arrangement and produced 16+ horsepower with about 500+cc on hand. Now that would have made for a good diesel option.
Motorholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 17:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

I feel Diesel Enfields might have even vintage value since there are so few around, my suggestion is grab one as soon as you find one!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote