Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th December 2005, 02:21   #16
Max
BHPian

I own CBZ since 2001 and I can proudly say, pulsar, unicorn etc., can't match its ride quality and power. CBZ is very good for people with height (I am 5'10") and I don't feel cramped while sitting on it.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2005, 02:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

cbz no doubt is a very able and good bike. Its height helps on handling too.

But its clearly outdated and outclassed now. pulsar 150 is sure no better than cbz in acceleration but other factors help pulsar 150 win.
same goes for unicorn.

Herohonda now needs to bring in a new bike.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2005, 11:36   #18

wait for TVS Apache (launching on 2 Jan) and TVS Chicane (somewhere around mid-may 2006)..
TVS Apache - 150cc 13.5 bhp
TVS Chicane - 170cc 16 bhp

they'll rock the market for sure
perestroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 04:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

yeah I hope they do.

I am really proud to show off my bike when its Indian.

Ask a pulsarian and you will know what I am talking about.
Old 13th December 2005, 20:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Just a small note for Pulsar 180.
I have ridden three P180's all 10,000 km+ & all three bikes had some gearbox issues (specially between first & neutral) don't know if its universal but owner did confirm it

If it was me, I would go for Unicorn electric start
You're right about the Pulsar 180 having gearbox problems. The clutch isn't all that great either. I have a 2002 Pulsar 180. Excellent bike but the gearbox is notchy and the I don't get much feedback from the clutch. I've heard the new Pulsar 180's gear box is much better (never ridden it). Having said that the engine is an absolute delight, very free revving, albeit a bit noisy. The dynamics of the bike are great and very confidence inspiring.

I would say that the Pulsar 180 give you maximum FUN for your buck. The bike still thrills me after 3 long years. The fuel efficiency is not bad either. The new Pulsar 180 has even better FE. If that extra 5 KMPL is not that important the Pulsar 180 makes an excellent choice. And yes make sure the helmet is worn at all times.
parijnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 05:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

My Pulsae 180 (touchwood) has been comepletely maintainence free until I used it. And FE from V1 I got was 40-45kmpl(touchwood again.

Two of my friends use a hero honda passion and a splendour. Never ever do they quote omre than 55-60kmpl.
Old 14th December 2005, 18:52   #22
BHPian

well well well...
lemme start with the CBZ: an excellent bike, sporty riding posture, looks nice. what killed it was its fuel economy. not bad (40-42 in city) but coz ppl werent interested in buyin a bike with such a low avg, sales went down. the older version still looks better than the new star one. production has been/is about to be stopped. expect a new cbz, with may be a tweaked/more powerful engine

P150: u cant go wrong with it. has the looks, the combo of power and fuel economy, value for money. but, u gotta care for it to have it going for yrs n yrs. it will,provided 'u care for it'.. electric start still has to see improvement

Unicorn : probably the best out there. its a honda. the mono-shock rocks. really improves the handling to a very large extent.

P180 : u cant compare this to other machines. the new paint scheme (engine n alloys in black color) looks awesome. its a fun machine.. BUT, as with the p150, electric starter needs to be improved... the engine looses out on refinement too with time.. but its a very good buy...

do consider the new achiever from HH.. basically, ambition's body with unicorn's engine. but no mono-shock. engine is tweaked a little for more drivability

choice can only be made once ur fren takes all these bikes for a spin... n looks wat he wants

other options he says are the tvs fiero F2, LML beamer
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 20:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia
do consider the new achiever from HH.. basically, ambition's body with unicorn's engine. but no mono-shock. engine is tweaked a little for more drivability
isint the ambition body same as the CBZ body. Any why is Honda giving their engines to HH
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 20:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
isint the ambition body same as the CBZ body. Any why is Honda giving their engines to HH
no dude... ambition's body and cbz's body arent same.
and the reason why honda is giving engines to HH is because they have a tie-up with them here in india for a specific period and its only after that they can think of stopping the JV.
Of course....they are making a lot of money too
Old 15th December 2005, 00:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hero Honda sucks. they have just had 1 new bike in the form of Kariza in the last 3 years.
Old 16th December 2005, 11:02   #26
BHPian

Talking To all mere mortals !!!

hey ! Well to start with the pulsar is an ok bike, great for the Indian market and all that. But there are a lot of hassles when one owns a pulsar.
[SIZE=2]The bike has some serious issues as regards balance. Slamming your "Front" brakes is a definite NO-NO on this bike; be it the 150 or 180. Though visually appealing the bike's design is an brilliant copy for those who speak against Honda. Atleast they copy their own international brand. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Bajaj has bought a lot of bikes into the Indian market off-late. But that does not mean quality in all cases. When on looks at mass production there is always compromise on quality. Thats the only place where they can cut costs and increase profits. Bajaj is doing just that.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Coming to the people who doubt the CBZ. Its a brilliant bike, one of the best as regards riding posture, stance, handle position, seating and engine power. The bike has awesome balance and has to one of the best balanced bikes in the Indian market ( better than any bike, even the Karizma). The CBZ, if maintained can take the case of almost any bike on Indian roads in the first few gears. So kindly refrain from saying that the CBZ is not a good bike.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As regards Hero Honda removing new bikes, I already mentioned the quality aspect that one has to consider. Just releasing tonnes of new bikes does not mean that the company is better than the rest in the market. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The honda UNICORN is yet another marvel, but thats a different story. I am here to save the CBZ from unecessary taunts. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]NO HARD FEELINGS. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.
[/SIZE]
Azzkikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 13:38   #27
BHPian

@Azzkikr : buddy, no doubt the cbz is a brilliant machine, but the case with our indian companies is diff. they want to make a model only if it means profit to them. yes, cbz still has a massive fan following but the prob is that majority of ppl want fuel economy. and this led to declining sales. and hence hhml stopped the production n went in for the Achiever. there wasnt ne thing wrong in the cbz. its jus that indian ppl wanted to save 200-300 bucks each month on fuel and thus over looked the cbz..

i started my bikin life with the cbz, n miss it. still love it. hate the newer star version
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 05:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkikr
hey ! Well to start with the pulsar is an ok bike, great for the Indian market and all that. But there are a lot of hassles when one owns a pulsar.
[SIZE=2]The bike has some serious issues as regards balance. Slamming your "Front" brakes is a definite NO-NO on this bike; be it the 150 or 180. Though visually appealing the bike's design is an brilliant copy for those who speak against Honda. Atleast they copy their own international brand. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Bajaj has bought a lot of bikes into the Indian market off-late. But that does not mean quality in all cases. When on looks at mass production there is always compromise on quality. Thats the only place where they can cut costs and increase profits. Bajaj is doing just that.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Coming to the people who doubt the CBZ. Its a brilliant bike, one of the best as regards riding posture, stance, handle position, seating and engine power. The bike has awesome balance and has to one of the best balanced bikes in the Indian market ( better than any bike, even the Karizma). The CBZ, if maintained can take the case of almost any bike on Indian roads in the first few gears. So kindly refrain from saying that the CBZ is not a good bike.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As regards Hero Honda removing new bikes, I already mentioned the quality aspect that one has to consider. Just releasing tonnes of new bikes does not mean that the company is better than the rest in the market. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The honda UNICORN is yet another marvel, but thats a different story. I am here to save the CBZ from unecessary taunts. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]NO HARD FEELINGS. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.
[/SIZE]

ever heeard the rattling issues in the CBZ? especially from the tpfc fiber part?

I have done stoppies myself on the p180. I have full faith in the discs of pulsars. CBZ is a great bike. Pulsar 180 is ever greater. I belive though that p150 maybe outclassed by the cbz and unicorn where unicorn performs the best.
Old 19th December 2005, 21:53   #29

Default TVS Apache launched !!!

TVS unveils 'Apache'
Chennai | December 19, 2005 5:30:44 PM IST

Two-wheeler major TVS Motor Company today unveiled its latest masterpiece, "Apache", a bike for the youth.
Formally launching the 150 CC, five-speed motorcycle, Chairman and Managing Director Venu Srinivasan told a press conference here"Apache is spirit of youth and has been designed and engineered to woo youngsters in the age group of 18 to 25 years." The new bike in the fast growing top-end premium segment, was not only a technological marvel but had the best look and style, he claimed.

The company proposed to sell about 25,000 units a month and scale up after three or four months.

"With its sporty and chiseled looks and unmatched performance packed with superior technology, the Apache is sure to be a head turner," Mr Srinivasan said.

Priced at Rs 52,498, Apache riders would have four colours to choose from with alloy wheels as a standard feature. The bike had an electric start and 240 mm front disc brake, Mr Prasad Narasimhan, Vice President-Marketing said.

With the Apache, TVS had set a new benchmark and aimed to strengthen its position in the premium segment of motorcycles and consolidate further on total volumes, he said.

The Inductive Digital Ignition (IDI) engine technology would result in a host of benefits to the rider with excelent engine response, consistent fuel economy and excellent cold startability.

The bike had so much of power that it races to 60 km per hour in just 5.3 seconds, he said.

He said the national roll out would happen at the end of January or early February. After catering to the domestic market, the company would look at the export market, he added.
Old 19th December 2005, 21:54   #30

sorry guys.... no pics yet
but will post em as soon as possible