Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th October 2010, 01:00   #1
Default TVS Apache silencer Makes Ringing Sound !

Hi fellow BHPians !
My TVS Apache RTR has recently started making a funny ringing sound in the silencer , bit of a botheration now (read : spoils exhaust's sound )
I have checked with the silencer guard ( rather removed it ) , but still the problem persists.

I really try to keep my motorcycle in pink of health and now this problem is worrying me ! Help

PS : I recently changed my engine oil from TRU4 to Castrol Active 4T !
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 10:35   #2

Something inside is loose or some small object must have gone in. Have the silencer removed and cleaned.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 10:49   #3
Unhappy Live with it

This is a common problem in four stroke bikes.

Most probably one piece of the mesh inside the silencer is broken (due to rust). This is because of the emission norms and 'clean burn' of the engine, the silencer pipes get corroded (the exhaust gases have practically nil oil residue, but have some water residue), and tend to break-up after some time. These pieces will lie within the silencer barrel and cause the 'tinkling' noise - you have to live with it or replace the silencer.

If you are a fanatic like me - weekly water wash, only premium petrol and oil, clean spark plugs, air filter and replace oil every 2500 ~ 3000 kms, the problem will crop up sooner! (I have this problem in may Gladiator within 10000 kms)

AFAIK, 4 stroke bike silencer is a sealed unit - you cannot dismantle it. The only method (not advisable and the end results will be a shabby looking silencer) is the 'cut and burn' method.

In this process, the tail end of the silencer is cut, the inner tubes removed, cleaned (or repaired, where possible) and re-welded. The welded portion will be very much visible and will scar the silencer permanently.

Ways to avoid this problem is to tie a plastic bag at the end of the silencer while washing the vehicle - which is a good idea; and, pump some oil into the silencer - not a good idea, because it will damage the silencer in the long run.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote