Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th October 2010, 20:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rollin' Thunda for sharing the information. I truly appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
2. You also need to get the transfer endorsed on your vehicle registration. Unfortunately, this endorsement will not be just to state B, but a specific district in state B. So make sure that the right district is put in, because that is where you will have to go to get the transfer done. If neither your place of residence nor your place of work falls within that district, you are in trouble!
I see a catch above. From what I understand, one needs to thorougly know about the district/RTO under which the vehicle's supervision will be falling in State B before hand isn't it?

And where does one go to pay the state tax? Is it at commercial tax office or can it be paid at the respective state B's district RTO itself?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Then your vehicle is physically inspected, on that or some other day. A letter is sent by RTO B to RTO A to confirm that the NOC is bona-fide. This letter is usually never answered, so a copy of the letter is handed to you so that your agent in RTO A can get the necessary confirmation sent. You new registration is released within days.

See, so simple! I love my India!
I suppose you mean 'your new registration is released within days of getting a confirmation from RTO A'.

I think this will take the most time, unless your agent at A cares to respond to your request. This also means shelling out more money!

Thanks for taking the trouble of posting the 'simple' procedure. Makes life easy, eh?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble of posting the 'simple' procedure. Makes life easy, eh?
Well, I guess, Rollin' Thunda's requirement stops at step 1 in state B because he intends getting back to state A always. In that case, he needn't worry on anything else.

At the time of leaving, he need to be doing step 2 in state B, that's all.

From these perpective, things are simple isn't it?
Old 20th October 2010, 07:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks Rollin' Thunda for sharing the information. I truly appreciate.

I see a catch above. From what I understand, one needs to thorougly know about the district/RTO under which the vehicle's supervision will be falling in State B before hand isn't it?

And where does one go to pay the state tax? Is it at commercial tax office or can it be paid at the respective state B's district RTO itself?
If you are moving to within a city, you can name the city on the RTO. However, Hyderabad is surrounded by different districts, and if you are in a suburb, most likely you will fall within the jurisdiction of one of these districts, rather than the city of Hyderabad.

Yes, you do need to know which district you will either stay or work. The RTO of a district will not do the transfer unless the NOC is issued for that district and you are either working or staying in it. Usually, people move because they transfer or change jobs. In this case it is safest to give the district of your work place on the NOC, and later get a letter from your organisation's HR stating that you are working for them. [Often you do not know where exactly you will be staying when you come to a new city].

You can pay the road-tax at the RTO itself (at least I did), but they need a bank draft. So you first need to stand in queue to find the amount owed, then stand in line at the bank to get a draft for the amount, and you get to stand in queue once again to submit the bank-draft at the RTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I suppose you mean 'your new registration is released within days of getting a confirmation from RTO A'.

I think this will take the most time, unless your agent at A cares to respond to your request. This also means shelling out more money!

I should have put quotes around the phrase "in a few days"! Yes, that is what they claim-- that you will get the new registration in a few days after they receive the confirmation from RTO A.

Yes, this is what takes longest. I have done the road-tax payment in three hours. Physical inspection will be done on a separate day, and will again take 3-5 hours. The confirmation part will take a couple of months, at minimum.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 20th October 2010 at 07:07.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 07:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you first need to stand in queue to find the amount owed, then stand in line at the bank to get a draft for the amount, and you get to stand in queue once again to submit the bank-draft at the RTO!
^^^ Most hilarious statement ; I enjoyed reading that

But clarify something to me, in your case, you can stop with just paying the tax & need not do anything further right?

This means, you can still ride in Hyderabad with Kanpur's registration number happily until your stay right?

Only when you need to go back to Kanpur, you need to redo the entire process of NOC from State-B & stuffs right?

Re-registration is required only when you intend to camp in Hyderabad for ever or if you decide to upgrade your ride right?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ Most hilarious statement ; I enjoyed reading that

But clarify something to me, in your case, you can stop with just paying the tax & need not do anything further right?

This means, you can still ride in Hyderabad with Kanpur's registration number happily until your stay right?

Only when you need to go back to Kanpur, you need to redo the entire process of NOC from State-B & stuffs right?

Re-registration is required only when you intend to camp in Hyderabad for ever or if you decide to upgrade your ride right?
Right on all counts! You can ride on forever in State B with your old registration, as long as you carry the road-tax receipt, or its xerox copy, to fend off cops eager to make some bakshish!
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:56   #22
BHPian

Rollin' Thunda,
I've been riding my KA03 motorcycle in Pune for the past 20 days. Since I'm here for just a year, I was told that I wouldn't need an NOC, since it cancels my KA registration. I'd be more at ease carrying a roadtax receipt around, so can I do this without an NOC?

Cheers
rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:12   #23
BHPian

@rahul I am not sure. Check with the RTO, and see if you can pay the road tax without the NOC.
Old 26th October 2010, 20:00   #24
BHPian

Ok, i just found out from the Pune RTO guys that it is possible to pay roadtax here (7% of the bike's value) without the need for an NOC. Just original RC and insurance documents are sufficient, and if possible the sales invoice to show vehicle's original cost.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 26th October 2010, 21:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I moved from Kanpur to Hyderabad recently on a two-year assignment. I took an NOC from Kanpur for moving my TBTS and got this endorsed on its registration.

My question is, can I stay the entire two years at Hyderabad without getting an AP registration (and paying 8% road-tax)?

What if I decide, at the end of two years, to stay on at Hyderabad; can the registration be changed then?

What if I decide to sell the bike in Hyderabad, does the registration need to be changed before I do so? (I don't intend to sell my beloved TBTS! Just asking)

Thanks,
after you obtain an NOC of a vehicle, its mandatory to register it to another State rto within 1-3 months. That vehicle is written of the record of the former state.

If you have gone to Hyderabad on temporary basis, you can use the vehicle there and pay tax for the period of stay.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 00:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ok, i just found out from the Pune RTO guys that it is possible to pay roadtax here (7% of the bike's value) without the need for an NOC. Just original RC and insurance documents are sufficient, and if possible the sales invoice to show vehicle's original cost.

Thanks,
Rahul
When I came to bangalore 6 years ago, I could pay the road tax at a traffic check post. It was told by a traffic policeman who first caught me w/o tax KA tax paid receipt. As per him, any traffic police above a certain rank is eligible to collect road tax. So, I simply went to the next signal where the traffic inspector was present and just paid the amount in cash. No need to stand in queue at RTO, take a DD or even sales invoice. Basically, the inspector issues a traffic challan wherein it is mentioned "KA LTT Paid" in the column for offense . I haven't faced any issue till date with that receipt.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 18:41   #27
BHPian

Wow Jaguar, thats really an advantage! Will enquire with the cops outside whether they do it here too. Thanks for the info!

Cheers
Rahul
Old 29th October 2010, 03:57   #28
BHPian

Learned some new stuff on this thread. A doubt -- what if an NOC is issued from state A and the person fails to get the transfer effected in state B? If state A "writes off" the vehicle, won't the owner will be in limbo, so to speak? A colleague of mine let this happen with his M800, which he brought from Hyderabad to Bombay four years ago. Is there any way he can 'reapply' at either place? I expect the Great Indian Grease-the-palm Trick is his only option...

Edit: I understand that he's paid the octroi and MH road tax as well. I wonder why he suddenly developed amnesia after all that trouble! I'm guessing the new Fiesta given by his company might have been one reason.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 29th October 2010 at 04:00.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 12:27   #29
BHPian

Edsel, I am not sure but there should be an option to re-validate the NOC from state A by paying a fee.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 21:19   #30
BHPian

Default Re: For how long is an NOC valid?

Quote:

1. you have 90 days to use your NOC, after which it expires. During this time you SHOULD pay the life-time road-tax in place B (which is sufficient to keep the cops happy) . Use form 27. In case you intend to go back to State A, you need not do any more (till you are about to leave, when you will probably have to get the NOC re-done in state B, I think).

2. If you want to apply for re-registration in state B, you should do so using form 33. Submit your original registration, form 28 (filled by RTO A), NOC, and proof of residence (or place of work, to do this I had to talk to the RTO in-charge, as the clerk wanted proof of residence within that district, which I couldn't produce as I am living outside it).
Did you get the form numbers mixed up by any chance? Form 33 says intimation of change of address and 27 says application for assignment of a new reg mark. I had my car on company lease, which means the company is the first owner and I am getting it transferred to my name. At the same time, since I live in a different state now, I also need to do everything in the state where I reside now. I have got the NOC from state A already. In this case, can I just change the ownership and address and not get a new registration no? TIA
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote