Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th October 2010, 21:03   #1
BHPian

Default Transitioning from a CBZ to RE Std 350cc

So yes , I finally managed to get hold of a std 350cc , 2009 model. Infact sort of fell in my lap , I searched around without any luck & this bull was parked only some 5 mins away from my house. Good condition too.

Now I have been riding a cbz for some 7yrs now, its been very easy machine which is eager to please. Its been three days on the bull for me , the gears are a lot harder than those of the cbz , which I think will take not long for me to get used to , I do run in to false neutrals a lot , sometimes even getting gears sort of stuck making a large rattling noise (which I suspect is due to the incorrect usage of the clutch - either loose or quick realse by me) the brakes are also quite different in usage & I am using the front brake a lot as my legs arent quite adjusted yet to the left brake as much.

Riding tips are very much welcome. This is my first real bullet experience.
vikrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 21:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
So yes , I finally managed to get hold of a std 350cc , 2009 model. Infact sort of fell in my lap , I searched around without any luck & this bull was parked only some 5 mins away from my house. Good condition too.

Now I have been riding a cbz for some 7yrs now, its been very easy machine which is eager to please. Its been three days on the bull for me , the gears are a lot harder than those of the cbz , which I think will take not long for me to get used to , I do run in to false neutrals a lot , sometimes even getting gears sort of stuck making a large rattling noise (which I suspect is due to the incorrect usage of the clutch - either loose or quick realse by me) the brakes are also quite different in usage & I am using the front brake a lot as my legs arent quite adjusted yet to the left brake as much.

Riding tips are very much welcome. This is my first real bullet experience.
Welcome to the RE family! :-)
Over ride and handling will be improved/you will feel it after few weeks. Your 350 cannot be compared with CBZ. You will start loving it soon, keep it well, it will take you places safely.

Ride safe!
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 21:31   #3
AWD
BANNED

Congrats & happy thumping Vik!

Soon you shall start feeling confident with the machine, just keep thumping!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 21:32   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the Bullet.

Yes, it will take sometime for you get accustomed to the left side gear shifter. Once settled in, it will be comfortable. Just like the CBZ or any other bike, engage the clutch completely when you shift gears. Check the play at the clutch lever and adjust it if it needs to be. Clutch release (slow or quick) has nothing to do with any sounds coming from the gearbox. Check the gearbox oil level (its a mix of oil and grease). If its low, get it refilled. How many kms has the bike done? If the grease inside the gearbox gets hard, this can happen.
Not to take any chances, suggest you to do an overall checkup at the ASC.

Before taking off everytime, press the nuetral level down and then shift to the first gear. This way, you can make sure about the gears.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 08:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys , I changed the oil , oil filter , air filter & brake liner of rear tyre. The gears did feel a little smoothend after the oil change. (bike had done a shade over 5k kms)

Yes I love the neutral finder & use it , I think I am not engaging the clutch completely (..which needs to be rectified ) ..

Also , how do i deal with my girl who gets worked up when I get the 'stare' from other chicks when i ride the bull

Last edited by bblost : 18th October 2010 at 17:29. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to 2 per post. Extra smiley has been deleted. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Also , how do i deal with my girl who gets worked up when I get the 'stare' from other chicks when i ride the bull
Congrats on the Bull

She will understand, its a part of owning a bullet.

Keep thumping & ride safe.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 17:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

@vikrut. Congrats and welcome to the RE Family.

Just one word of advice. Never rev a cold engine. This bike is not meant for sudden acceleration. But a lazy speed build up. On the highway you can slowly and steadily build her to a good speed and keep it there for the whole day. But doing many short burst of high speed like in a typical city scenario is bad for the engine.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 19:23   #8
BHPian

Practice emergency braking often, espcially if you have front disc brakes. The RE disc brake is very grabby and can easily lock the front wheel during panic braking in an emergency. To get used to the right amount of force to be applied, use the front brake all the time.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 22:01   #9
BHPian

thanks guys , im getting a little comfortable on the machine by each day. Still havent quite got into the groove for the gears , getting lot of false neutrals , but im sure will master it eventually.