Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th November 2010, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Default unicorn with smoky exhaust

some 10-15 days, my bike was waterlogged upto engine when parked in baner. that was just for 5-10 mins. when i moved the bike out of water, had problems in starting it as the exhaust was filled with water.
Was able to start the bike after some time and as i raced hard (in neutral gear), the water was forced out of exhaust.

But now, i am seeing that there lot of oil getting spilled on the heat sinks/fins of engine. The engine is very very noisy.
The exhaust is giving out lot of smoke, just like when one uses kerosene :(

I have already tried the honda authorised rahul service centre (pashankar service centre) and have been told to that piston head might be damaged. but i dont trust them. every time i take my bike for service, he just replaces parts and produces huge bills. so wanted to take some opinion before getting duped.
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 14:21   #2
BHPian

Default plz delete this thread

as no one is responding, i guess this is wrongly put here by me.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:12   #3
BHPian

Even though this thread is 3 yrs old and no one has replied , still I am curious to know what was the problem as I own a Unicorn 2005 model.

By your description it seems that oil is leaking from the cylinder head and somehow oil is finding its way inside the cylinder causing it to burn, most probably from the valve stem area.

Are you sure its oil burning or water mixed causing a white smoke ? Can you share what was the actual problem.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 16:19   #4
BHPian

Did u do an oil change after u got it started, if not do it asap. As for the smoke, it could be that the valves are busted. Get it checked by a good local mech once, he should be able to guide you accordingly.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like your engine has taken in some water through the air intake. It will be difficult for any reader on the forum to diagnose without seeing the bike. If the Authorized service center is a rip-off. Find a good independent mechanic. But either way you will need to open up the top of the engine and check the valves & cylinders and replace the gaskets.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
But now, i am seeing that there lot of oil getting spilled on the heat sinks/fins of engine.
On a typical 4S engine, if there're oil leaks, then it attributes to only one problem - rings worn out. However, tell me, if the oil leaks are between the cylinder & cylinder head or else where?

Quote:
The engine is very very noisy.
The exhaust is giving out lot of smoke, just like when one uses kerosene
Symptoms of worn out rings or damaged cylinder walls.

Quote:
I have already tried the honda...some opinion before getting duped.
Piston head or rings or cylinder walls, be it whatever, the work is the same, replace the rings or rebore the cylinder.

But wait, take a second opinion from another competent mechanic, the valves, timing chains etc could also be in trouble. So get that checked as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Even though this thread is 3 yrs old and no one has replied
Thread 3 years old??? Did you mean 3 days old?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 15:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
On a typical 4S engine, if there're oil leaks, then it attributes to only one problem - rings worn out. However, tell me, if the oil leaks are between the cylinder & cylinder head or else where?
its on the topmost part of engine..from side view, i can see the spark plug attached at top. this oil spill is to the front side of engine (facing the front type).

I can see thin rubber band kind of ring on top of the engine head.
maybe this is used for filling gap.
initially i thought these have worn out.
So do you mean that the rings inside the engine must be damaged?
Old 12th November 2010, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Thread 3 years old??? Did you mean 3 days old?[/quote]

Ops by mistake I refered to your join date instead of thread date.
BTW is your problem resolved ? I am sure its something related to the cylinder head.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 17:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its on the topmost part of engine...initially i thought these have worn out.
Quite possible that the cylinder gaskets could also be worn out too, not necessarily with piston rings; BTW, what's the ODO clock & how many years old is the Unicorn?

Quote:
So do you mean that the rings inside the engine must be damaged?
Not necessary; if I understood you right, its between the cylinder head & cylinder right? Or is the leak at the spark plug gap?

Well start with cylinder head gasket change that should cost you nominal. If it still doesn't improve, pls post some pics. Tks.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 17:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

No guessing games here, open the engine and inspect, start from the head. If you are lucky its a minor busted gasket and if not, ie water has gone inside the cylinder, then you have a real problem in hand. Whatever it is, dont ignore it and get it attended by a competent mech. Try the castrol bikezones, they are much more reliable is what i have heard.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:41   #11

Default Re: unicorn with smoky exhaust

I have a 2005 unicorn , odo - 48500km , there was oil leak from engine for about 2 years, recently I gave the bike for service at Castrol bike zone, they replaced valve timer , for about 3 weeks the bike was fine but again now oil started leaking from engine, any opinion on whether valve gasket cover also has to be changed ??? will be going to Castrol bike zone again....
arjun_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote