Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th November 2010, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Default New bike, 60k budget. suggestions please

I know i haven't been around here lately, but i need your help now.
I need a bike urgently. Traveling by bus has taken a toll on my health and I can't afford to take the car everyday.
I've been looking for a 2-stroke bike for the past month, but that was fruitless too.
so my question to you guys is, what two-wheeler do you guys recommend? my budget is Rs.60k give or take.
I've looked at the pulsar 135 and liked it, are there any known problems with it?
looking forward to your suggestions.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

You can start by going through this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...a-twister.html

Then there is also the Suzuki GS150 which has a couple of reviews on the forum.
The Honda Unicorn is also supposed to be a good one but am not sure about the prices. I could have recommended the RTR180 which I ride but then that is over the budget.

The Pulsar 135 did get some really nice reviews but I have no experience with it so cant say much on it.
All the best.

Last edited by sammyboy : 16th November 2010 at 14:37.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will help if you can narrow down your requirements. Will a commuter with excellent mileage do? Or it should be best of both worlds? Any taboos about the cc? Will you look at motorbikes only?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 20:36   #4
BHPian

My requirements are performance mileage and looks in that order. I'm not expecting a 100kmpl economy bike though, somewhere around 50 is good enough for me.
It does have to be a motorbike though.

Thanks for that link, sammy. I'll look through that.
The unicorn is out of my budget and the last three Honda dealers I visited rubbed me the wrong way, so i'm not too high on getting one. And as you said, RTR is too expensive.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

...or you can pick up an old RE, and restore it. Not only will you have fun in the restoration process, and learn a lot about the bike, but it will also give you years of service and pride of ownership.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 23:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also suggest the new Yamaha 150CC (forgot its name).It should also cost the same as the Twister.

P135 is a nice bike. Not sure about it long term reliability but it looks good,has power.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 23:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would vote for the Pulsar 135. Really smooth power delivery and ease of service.

The SZ-150 as recommended by jkdas is a good package as well. The CB Twister is a really good city bike! If you can find a decent Honda dealer, you can perhaps look at this as an option.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 23:58   #8
BHPian

P135 looks puny. BUT don't go by its looks! It has pretty advanced engine in its category & has service backup of the most popular brand -> BAJAJ

SZ150 is an excellent product to its pricing & can expect some good solid looks & performance by the king of bike makers 'the YAMAHA'.

Nevertheless both bikes are performance oriented. All it matters is how you experience them to ride, with the taller SZ & a pretty stout P135. Twister & other <150cc bikes are just for A->B kinda city travel unlike the above mentioned two.

I suggest you to test ride each of them & can zero in onto whichever suits you better. After all its you going to ride it forever its with you.. not us! Roughly would say, if you are under 5'6" P135, if taller then SZ150 would suit you I guess!

Last edited by tantragna : 17th November 2010 at 00:03.
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
...or you can pick up an old RE, and restore it. Not only will you have fun in the restoration process, and learn a lot about the bike, but it will also give you years of service and pride of ownership.
I was planning to do exactly that with an old RX, but no luck there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I would also suggest the new Yamaha 150CC (forgot its name).It should also cost the same as the Twister.

P135 is a nice bike. Not sure about it long term reliability but it looks good,has power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I would vote for the Pulsar 135. Really smooth power delivery and ease of service.

The SZ-150 as recommended by jkdas is a good package as well. The CB Twister is a really good city bike! If you can find a decent Honda dealer, you can perhaps look at this as an option.
No disk brake on the Yamaha makes me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
P135 looks puny. BUT don't go by its looks! It has pretty advanced engine in its category & has service backup of the most popular brand -> BAJAJ

SZ150 is an excellent product to its pricing & can expect some good solid looks & performance by the king of bike makers 'the YAMAHA'.

Nevertheless both bikes are performance oriented. All it matters is how you experience them to ride, with the taller SZ & a pretty stout P135. Twister & other <150cc bikes are just for A->B kinda city travel unlike the above mentioned two.

I suggest you to test ride each of them & can zero in onto whichever suits you better. After all its you going to ride it forever its with you.. not us! Roughly would say, if you are under 5'6" P135, if taller then SZ150 would suit you I guess!
My friend got a P135LS a week ago and that's what set this new bike ball rolling for me. I'll definitely test the others before buying though.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
I was planning to do exactly that with an old RX, but no luck there.
Not RX buddy, RE... :-)
Old 18th November 2010, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Yes, yes, I got that. But the parentals decide the budget for me, sadly, and if I'm to get a used bike, it falls to Rs.20k only.
I doubt I could get an RE with room to spare for a resto in that.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you could. You can pick up a used RE 350 for about 25-30K. Spend 30 K on the restoration to Stock condition... No Mods. It is easy.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

^

This will be a broken down RE 350 that needs a complete overhaul?

If not, help me find one please!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I recently saw a couple of Black Old Model RE 350s in Gurgaon, with an intact frame, block and some of the other major components... The asking price was between 30-35 K. I guess it can be bargained down a bit. Most people end up over-spending on a restoration when they go in for fancy Mods. A RE, even in Stock condition, is at least as desirable, if not more, than a Modded one.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:49   #15
BHPian

I got a test ride in for a Pulsar 135 today, it's got comfy enough ergos and fits me well. Power was good too. I rode a red bike, Bajaj calls it wine red, I dare them to find me wine that looks like that red though. Thankfully, it looks pretty sharp in black.

I'll head out to Yamaha and Honda this weekend and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Yes, you could. You can pick up a used RE 350 for about 25-30K. Spend 30 K on the restoration to Stock condition... No Mods. It is easy.
Err, budget for a used bike is 20K...
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
Yes, yes, I got that. But the parentals decide the budget for me, sadly, and if I'm to get a used bike, it falls to Rs.20k only.
I doubt I could get an RE with room to spare for a resto in that.