Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th November 2010, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Default Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!

Hi everyone!

I took delivery of my Ninja 250 yesterday.

It was a bit of an impulse buy - I'd seen it in the Probiking showroom window while driving past the a couple of times, but I finally went in to have a good look on the evening of the 17th.

The sales guy told me they had ordered it for someone who was now unable to take delivery, so it was now up for delivery off the shelf...

Now, I'd gone in thinking I'll have a look, and that's that.

You see, I was madly excited when Bajaj brought in the 250R, but was prowling the markets looking for a cheap but usable sawed-off shotgun when they announced the prices.

THE RESEARCH

Anyways, I had a look and it was all I could do to stop myself from drooling all over the floor of that showroom. So I asked for a test ride, which they politely declined, saying that it was not permitted and the bike was being sold straight off the showroom. I was kind of disappointed, because in my book, no matter what the cost of the bike and the consequent concerns of the staff as to its safety, I want to know what I am paying for. Add to that the fact that the sales staff are not unusually bright with their information on the bike - when I went in there, I asked the guy to tell me about it - and he started with the price -2,83,707 OTR. After he saw that I had not fainted, he told me that it's imported, and this was therafter followed by a lot a smiling and posturing but frightfully little information.

So, in my quest for information, I visited the service center and noted that they had a separate dedicated bay for the Ninja as of now (though I doubt they will stick with it once the number of bikes goes up). I managed to get hold of the numbers of a few owners and enquired about service quality. Most didn't answer the phone. Managed to speak with a nice bloke called Pallav who was kind enough to give me time and he told me that he was happy with both the bike and the service offered. I also spoke with another gentleman (I forget his name now) and he wasn't too happy with the bike - he told me that he regretted his buying decision! But more on that later....

Of course, aditya & balenopower's threads gave me all the other info I needed. I will not be exaggerting to any extent if I say that I have been sleeping for less than 3-4 hours a night since I first went to the showroom. I've literally been burning the midnight oil poring over everything these two guys have written. So thanks, guys! Your effort is deeply appreciated.

NEXT: THE DILEMMA

Meanwhile, here's my bike:
Attached Thumbnails
Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-picture-022.jpg  

Brocklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:26   #2
BHPian

congrats!.
looks like its raining Ninja's everywhere.
rvmohankumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Beautiful, Congratulations.
You could refer to n_aditya's Ninja thread if You have any doubts.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 16:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Goodness!! Raining baby Ninjas on Tbhp nowadays.

Congrats Brocklock. Ride safe and wish you happy miles with the Black beast!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 16:15   #5
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Ninjas

Congrats and wish you many miles of riding pleasure! Do keep the thread updated with the riding experience and more pics.

I like your nick :-)
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations bro Have a wonderful ownership and keep posting regularly. It will help also get tips. Have you bought the riding gear yet? \
Did u get the bike from DOon? Oh man what wouldnt I have given to sport another UK-07.

Cheers man and ride safe.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

First of all, Congrats on the ninja. Wishing you many years of happy and safe riding. I love the black as much as the green and took quite a bit of time (read as few weeks) to zero in on the green. Although the green was an obvious choice as it looks stunning and bright, i love the paint job and the gloss on the black... and its very understated so no worries parking it in open spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
I also spoke with another gentleman and he wasn't too happy with the bike - he told me that he regretted his buying decision! But more on that later.
I'm curious to know what made that gentleman feel that way. Please share.

Quote:
Of course, aditya & balenopower's threads gave me all the other info I needed. I've literally been burning the midnight oil poring over everything these two guys have written. So thanks, guys! Your effort is deeply appreciated.
Thanks a ton. Glad that i've been able to help, indirectly at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
looks like its raining Ninja's everywhere.
+1. I was on my way home yesterday (in the esteem) and a guy on a brand new green ninja pulled up next to me. Had some temp no. scribbled on the plates. The guy was in some burning hurry (as it had started drizzling i guess) and took off when the lights turned green. Was hoping it was sammy but it was someone else with a white motocross lid.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th November 2010 at 17:08.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 17:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my Ninja 250 yesterday.
Congratulations Brocklock; have a splendid time with your Ninja; your choice of color is a silent ruler of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
+1; yes pls share, what made the other guy to loose 4K? Or he might've taken the delivery of Green probably.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 17:48   #9
BHPian

Congrats brocklock.. 2010 is the year of the ninja..that color looks pretty good with that water droplets. I thought ninja came only in green and black.

2,83,707 OT? I thought it was near 3.5 otr
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 18:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
that color looks pretty good with that water droplets. I thought ninja came only in green and black.
It is a black ninja. The light makes it look like a navy blue color. And yes, it does look hot with the water droplets and with the blueish tinge.

The on road price of the ninja is probably the highest in blore at 3.2 lacs. But on road prices vary from state to state with the taxes and registration fees that are applicable in that state.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 18:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Brock Feel happy for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Its a bit OT considering its a 250R thread, but at my place there are approx 20 R15's and no one is happy with it, why?
1) Pillion/s
2) Low on torque
3) Can't off-road
4) You got to be careful while riding.

In short you have to stay committed & know Sports Motorcycles inside out and you can't ride one like a commuter. And Sports Motorcycles aren't for every-one. You have to have fuel in your veins. A guy jumping from a Re-500 or any other Indian Motorcycle won't appreciate these committed Motorcycles.

I am thinking to start a topic, but it deals with different issues, though a parallel can be drawn.

^Would our grannies approve of a 911 to ferry them? or some normal Car/UV?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 21:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Gorgeous machine in black.
On a roll, Ninja are.
But my dear wife is strictly against the bikes.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 22:27   #13
BHPian

Hi! First, thanks everyone for the good wishes - much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Its raining Ninjas

Congrats and wish you many miles of riding pleasure! Do keep the thread updated with the riding experience and more pics.

I like your nick :-)
Thanks! I will keep this thread updated. I do not know if I will be able to contribute to the same measure as Aditya and Balenopower, but I shall try my best. More pics will be coming up in the next few days once I am able to free myself up a bit more and get some kilometres in on the Ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congratulations bro Have a wonderful ownership and keep posting regularly. It will help also get tips. Have you bought the riding gear yet? \
Did u get the bike from DOon? Oh man what wouldnt I have given to sport another UK-07.

Cheers man and ride safe.
Thanks Sammy, may you have a wonderful ownership too. As I said before, I will post regularly.

Yes, I bought the bike from Dehradun - that's where I am now, actually. Just have a second home in Delhi. The riding gear is not in yet. Nor are the frame sliders....As I wrote, it was a bit of an impulse buy, so I'm going to head over to Delhi in a few days and sort that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Congrats brocklock.. 2010 is the year of the ninja..that color looks pretty good with that water droplets. I thought ninja came only in green and black.

2,83,707 OT? I thought it was near 3.5 otr
As aditya said, it's black in colour. I think the sunlight played a bit with that photograph.

Yes, as someone else also pointed out, the OTR price quite depends on the state you buy it in. I bought mine in Uttaranchal, and they're cheaper here by quite a bit. I'm not sure about 3.5L, but I have seen quotes of 3.1 odd.

@aditya / aargee: I'm just getting around to posting the second part of that first post now, so please have a look there for what the guy said... Thanks!
Old 19th November 2010, 23:34   #14
BHPian

So here's the second part of that first post -

THE DILEMMA

As I wrote earlier, I spoke with a couple of owners over the phone to try and gauge their satisfaction with the service on offer for the Ninja, as that was one of my prime concerns. I've owned a Pulsar 180 for the better part of 8 years now, and the sheer callousness the service guys will treat your bike with really riles me! So I was clear in my mind that if I had one indication that Bajaj was offering poor service, I would drop the whole thing and wait for a while.

After I called Pallav, I spoke with another guy, who was of the opinion that the Ninja had been a waste of his money. First, however, he said that it was a nice bike, and he was happy with it. As we talked, he became a little more vocal and said that he had actually been duped by the hype as he paid money without having taken a test ride - the showroom refused to let him take one.
He went on to say that I should first take a test ride and only then pay for the motorcycle (which was good advice). He said that with a pillion on board, the motorcycle's performance is not good. Apparently, he had recently ridden up to Mussoorie (without a pillion), which is about 4000 ft above sea level, approx. 29 kms from Dehradun, and he was 'frustrated' with the motorcycle. He didn't explain much, but said that the bike is fast all right, but picks up speed slowly. Then, it just started to unravel a little:

"If you want a good bike and you have money, the Enfield is the way to go. It costs little over 1L and is much more powerful. It has 500cc."

"If you want an even better bike buy the Aquila. Or then look at a Harley Davidson"

By this time I had figured out WHY he didn't like the Ninja. He had bought himself the wrong bike type. But notwithstanding his strange, almost-American confusion that MORE CCs = MORE POWER, he did give me his valuable time, and I do appreciate the thought behind his advice.

Anyways, the conversation made me think. If IKM launch the Ninja 650 by March, was I rushing in a little here? Should I wait? What about the CBR 250? Should I just give this a little time and see?

So I went through everything that I could find about this stuff, an this is how I reasoned:

One, the 650 isn't here. It was supposed to be here by Diwali, but now everything says March, earliest. Second, I've ridden one and didn't like the riding position much, although it's certainly more comfortable. Third, if someone so much as sits on my bike while it's parked and fiddles with it without asking, I don't like it. I've seen people sit on someone else's bike, chatting with a friend, and idly scratching the paint on the tank as they talked... Man, that irritates me! So I thought, I'll probably me more comfortable leaving the 250 around unattended than a 650 in the current Indian scenario. Hopefully, as big bikes become more common, it will be less painful parking in the open. Fourth, the price estimates vary wildly - from 4.5L to 7.0 L ex-showroom. Lastly, if I want it bad enough when it comes out, I'll buy it, what the hell.

The CBR 250 wasn't so big a challenge. Turns out it's a single-pot motor and I'm looking at at least a twin.

So I finally decided at about 2:30 in the afternoon yesterday. Called probiking and went to take delivery armed with a draft for the amount.

DELIVERY

Reached the showroom around 3:45 pm. The bike was PDI'd and ready for delivery.

I liked the fact that the showroom offered me a test ride before I paid. Mind that I had still not paid a penny upto that point - just that I had stated that I would buy it.

It had been a big grouse upto that point - I wanted to see what I was paying for.

Anyway, I took her out and rode for about 2 klicks before returning to the showroom.

As the paperwork was being carried out, I was taken to the service centre and introduced to everyone. Apparently, this place has 2 Kawasaki trained mechanics and both were on leave. Overall, the impression I came away with was that while the Probiking Showroom manager tried his best to make me feel that this was a world apart from the Pulsar bays right next to it, the staff - including the service manager - generally seemed kind of bored.

One thing that miffed me a little was that no one seemed to have a clue about the bike's nitty-gritties. For example, they were able to tell me that the First Aid kit was under the seat, but also said that I should come back the next day to learn from the mechanic how the seat was to be removed. Not a big deal, but kinda weird to show the delivery guys how to remove a seat - supposed to be the other way round, right? Further, no instructions about running in, RPM, or anything of the sort. Luckily, I had read through Aditya & balenopower's threads and knew that I shouldn't exceed 4000 rpm...

Left the showroom about 6ish, with the rush hour at its peak and almost forgot that my wife was waiting in the car outside! Drove a good kilometre before I realised I'd forgotten my better half at the showroom! Anyway, was able to make a decent enough excuse about waiting on the other side and get away with only a mild firing!

Got home happy about 7ish and wanted to go out again immediately with the wife, but some guests turned up unexpectedly and so put that off till today...

Rode about 50 klicks today.... My wife seems to find the seat hard, but manageable. The seating position is rather new for her, but she's coping fine, apart from getting on and off, which seems to remind her of mounting and dismounting a horse!

I had chosen the black because I thought it would be discreet as well as pretty. It's pretty all right, but from the reaction of passers-by on today's ride - NOT SO DISCREET.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Congrats on getting the Ninja, It looks great.

Keep us posted on the ownership.

Quote:
Left the showroom about 6ish, with the rush hour at its peak and almost forgot that my wife was waiting in the car outside! Drove a good kilometre before I realised I'd forgotten my better half at the showroom!
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote