Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Passion Fuel Tank

MODS please move or merge this thread if it is already existing

Hi all

My 2003 passion is been lying sparingly used for last 3-4 years and the fuel tank has started rusting and the fuel is leaking very very slowly.Now how do i fix this problem ?

Should i take to a tinker /welder and get it sorted out or should i change the tank itself

Since am not using ti much i would not like to spend much on it and if tank is going to cost me > 4k then i can very well repaint the whole bike and make it look like new.

If in case i want to change the whole bike to look like latest version ,how much would it cost

All are requested to give me some valuable inputs

Thanks
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 16:46   #2
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

M-seal. It works. It wont be a problem if it is under the tank, but it will look dirty if it is above.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 23:03   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

My bikes tank developed a leak. M Seal did not work. A minor weld job also failed to keep it sealed.

I had the welder cut it open and made the tank bigger.
The whole cost of expanding the tank came to 5k.
Some 3k to the welder and 2k to the painter.

Since it needed a new coat of paint as well.

As you might not be interested in expanding the capacity, check the price of a new tank before doing anything.
If Mseal works for you it is the cheapest.

Else decide between the welder+painter and new tank cost.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 23:40   #4
BHPian
 
abdriver2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 330
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

My 2003 Caliber developed a leak after about 5 yrs. M-Seal contained these pinhole leaks for about 2 years. Earlier this year, i got the welder to replace the bottom of the tank and got it painted. Unfortunately I could not find the original Kawasaki decals and had to settle for the Bajaj ones. The whole cost of welding, painting and decals came to about 2200.

A new tank was not readily available, but i was quoted about 3k by the dealer if i was willing to put a deposit and wait endlessly.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 23:52   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Meerut
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
MODS please move or merge this thread if it is already existing

Hi all

My 2003 passion is been lying sparingly used for last 3-4 years and the fuel tank has started rusting and the fuel is leaking very very slowly.Now how do i fix this problem ?

Should i take to a tinker /welder and get it sorted out or should i change the tank itself

Since am not using ti much i would not like to spend much on it and if tank is going to cost me > 4k then i can very well repaint the whole bike and make it look like new.

If in case i want to change the whole bike to look like latest version ,how much would it cost

All are requested to give me some valuable inputs

Thanks


well we run old bike parts shop at meerut, let me know how i can help.
tank will cost you about 3k including paint and stickers from here
crazy4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 06:21   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

@Joshguy - Which location is the fuel leaking from? Is it somewhere in the middle or at the bottom? Like BBlost says, M-Seal might not help for the reason being, petrol is less denser & it will turn to gas & start leaking; it will be like, you get the smell of petrol, but might not even see the droplets.

You may want to consider replacing the tank for peace of mind; if you're not a DIY person, then leave the tank to the mechanic or H.H.A.S.S & they'll get it fixed with some juggad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4s View Post
well we run old bike parts shop at meerut, let me know how i can help.
Oh!!! we have the same here as well, if you've heard - Pudupet ; one can find parts for vehicles from 1950 over here.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 06:25   #7
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My bikes tank developed a leak. M Seal did not work. A minor weld job also failed to keep it sealed.
If Mseal works for you it is the cheapest.
I used the wet type M-seal, the white colored one and it has been going strong for about 1 year. I cleaned the area, scrubbed the metal, and put some amount inside the small hole too. I think the size of the hole (i had about 2 mm hole) too plays a part.

M-seal will be the cheapest option if it works for you.


EDIT: I just googled M-seal and petrol leak and did find many users trying this.

Last edited by Chipz : 28th November 2010 at 06:29.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
M-seal. It works. It wont be a problem if it is under the tank, but it will look dirty if it is above.
It has worked for 1 year now but still is not effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
My 2003 Caliber developed a leak after about 5 yrs. M-Seal contained these pinhole leaks for about 2 years. Earlier this year, i got the welder to replace the bottom of the tank and got it painted. Unfortunately I could not find the original Kawasaki decals and had to settle for the Bajaj ones. The whole cost of welding, painting and decals came to about 2200.

A new tank was not readily available, but i was quoted about 3k by the dealer if i was willing to put a deposit and wait endlessly.
I got the quote for 3900 for the new tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4s View Post
well we run old bike parts shop at meerut, let me know how i can help.
tank will cost you about 3k including paint and stickers from here
In that case i would like to change the whole bike to latest model say passion pro /plus ,so let me know the cost of side panels,tank ect

i would like to change it sports RED - refer Hero Honda Passion Plus


Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Joshguy - Which location is the fuel leaking from? Is it somewhere in the middle or at the bottom? Like BBlost says, M-Seal might not help for the reason being, petrol is less denser & it will turn to gas & start leaking; it will be like, you get the smell of petrol, but might not even see the droplets.

You may want to consider replacing the tank for peace of mind; if you're not a DIY person, then leave the tank to the mechanic or H.H.A.S.S & they'll get it fixed with some juggad.


Oh!!! we have the same here as well, if you've heard - Pudupet ; one can find parts for vehicles from 1950 over here.
Exactly what you wrote is what is happening ! i can smell it but no drops of pertol,i fill it and then it goes missing and may be i should try Pudupet for this

BTW next problem is the tank lid isnt opening ,i use the bike only once is a month or so and its my mistake

Any suggestion for this?

Last edited by joshguy : 28th November 2010 at 14:11.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 14:40   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

Not opening as in, is the lock stuck.

A little WD 40 helps.

I once had this problem in the middle of nowhere after a water wash.
The ignition did not turn. The closest source of oil was the engine oil sump. So I took out the dipstick and put in a drop into the key hole.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I got the quote for 3900 for the new tank
If you intent to keep your passion for long, then go for a new tank; but first, most importantly, diagnose where the leak is. If the leak is somewhere around the fuel cock, then changing fuel cock or fixing it will help with few 100 bucks. That's the reason I asked to find where the leak is from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Exactly what you wrote...Pudupet for this
Diagnose & then decide on the next steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
BTW next problem is the tank lid isnt opening ,i use the bike only once is a month or so and its my mistake
Nothing mistake. Use WD40 or Zorrik from Pidilite industries. If the rust is blocking from opening the tank, these solutions will help to fix them. Shake well & apply in full force with regular intervals until it opens.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 17:03   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

M-Seal will not last long - the leak re-occured after few months. Remove the tank and dry it completely before applying M-Seal.

Finally I had to get a new tank for my Fiero. I have not tried getting it repaired from a welder.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 17:42   #12
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Well if M-seal does not last long, have you tried welding it. If it is a small hole it can be welded easily.

I think the problem with M-seal is that the surface should be clean of any dirt, oil, or petrol. then apply the M-seal and let it stay for about a day before using. Then paint it.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default 2nd hand Unicorn or Refreshed passion ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Not opening as in, is the lock stuck.

A little WD 40 helps.

I once had this problem in the middle of nowhere after a water wash.
The ignition did not turn. The closest source of oil was the engine oil sump. So I took out the dipstick and put in a drop into the key hole.
Ya the lock got stuck due to rust or something....i was searching for oil and your idea of dip stick didnt strike me will try today itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you intent to keep your passion for long, then go for a new tank; but first, most importantly, diagnose where the leak is. If the leak is somewhere around the fuel cock, then changing fuel cock or fixing it will help with few 100 bucks. That's the reason I asked to find where the leak is from.


Diagnose & then decide on the next steps.


Nothing mistake. Use WD40 or Zorrik from Pidilite industries. If the rust is blocking from opening the tank, these solutions will help to fix them. Shake well & apply in full force with regular intervals until it opens.

Now You made me think ,i wanted to sell this bike and get myself a 2nd hand unicorn as i find it comfortable but didnt want to spend much. so thought will refresh this bike and have it for next 4-5 years as there is no problem as such.

i am 6.2" so i find passion to be little uncomfortable and get back pain when i use it for long time

Ok now how much can i sell this bike for ?

Feb 2003 Passion (Red & Black)
Done 45k kms as on date
New tyres ,chain spoket
Accident free
Single owner

And also let me know what will be the cost of a unicorn (2006-2008 models) run less than 25k kms

I am thinking of using my bike twice a week hence forth so there will be usage and your suggestions will help me decide

joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Now You made me think ,...will be usage and your suggestions will help me decide
Aah!!! Now we're going too much away from the original problem. But, trust me, I was about to suggest to buy another one when I read 2003 Passion. Anyway, I thought it should be of some emotional attachment to you & hence didn't suggest.

Regarding your question on Unicorn, you've an absolute idea of what you're talking & there's no second thoughts on your choice. A bang good choice there. But consider yourself as why you need to go for a used one.

Reason being that, Unicorn is such a great motorcycle, unless someone has abused it so bad, no one would want to sell, other reason could be, he's moving out of the country or absolute insane!!!

Why not buy something new that's practical for your use & then consider retatining it for long terms?

PS - You can still continue using the Passion, ofcourse, you need to get it serviced once in 3-4 months, that's all.

Edit - Regarding your sale on Passion, trust me, these days it wouldn't fetch you much that you'll consider retatining it yourself, unless you're concerned about dumping it. I'm not sure on the used motorcycle market except on 2-strokes .

Last edited by aargee : 29th November 2010 at 12:40.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 16:25   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Aah!!! Now we're going too much away from the original problem. But, trust me, I was about to suggest to buy another one when I read 2003 Passion. Anyway, I thought it should be of some emotional attachment to you & hence didn't suggest.

Regarding your question on Unicorn, you've an absolute idea of what you're talking & there's no second thoughts on your choice. A bang good choice there. But consider yourself as why you need to go for a used one.

Reason being that, Unicorn is such a great motorcycle, unless someone has abused it so bad, no one would want to sell, other reason could be, he's moving out of the country or absolute insane!!!
True Argee but unicorn is costing 57-60k and the waiting period is 6 months for it.

A used 2007 unicorn run 25k is up for sale and is costing 35k is it worth?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel tank capacity measurement, how? giri Technical Stuff 77 6th December 2017 09:30
How do you refill your fuel tank? What is the best practice? souravbasu Technical Stuff 132 18th April 2017 22:34
Can the fuel tank capacity be increased speedsatya Modifications & Accessories 4 11th November 2009 09:31
fuel tank 42lt.- fuel in-44lt. v.tec Technical Stuff 55 29th August 2006 20:50
Fuel Tank Rusting and Leaking in my Fiero F2 souravbasu Motorbikes 15 21st April 2006 12:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks