Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th January 2011, 22:28   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike to buy? Pulsar 220F or Yamaha FZ EDIT: Booked 220F

Hey guys thanks for ur replies....
Got the bike on 21 of december.There was no problem with the bike on delivery.Yes i was exited but kept my calm and checked all the things before leaving the showroom.Got the teflon coating done on the day of delivery.Done about 350 kms.Loving my bike....

Thanks a lot guys
syedhafeez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 22:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
Hey guys thanks for ur replies....
Got the bike on 21 of december.There was no problem with the bike on delivery.Yes i was exited but kept my calm and checked all the things before leaving the showroom.Got the teflon coating done on the day of delivery.Done about 350 kms.Loving my bike....

Thanks a lot guys

Congrats.

Please post pics when it is possible for you. I am always pic-hungry actually.

Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 19:00   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. i am joining the public demand here. Pics of the bike please.
And just one question though, How can we identify if the teflon coating has been done correctly as some of the dealers tend to take the money and do nothing on the bike.
Please advise
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Hey guys will post the other pics later.
thankyou
Attached Thumbnails
Which bike to buy? Pulsar 220F or Yamaha FZ EDIT: Booked 220F-img185901.jpg  

syedhafeez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 20:32   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike to buy.220f of fz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
IMO, Fz all the way! The thing is far-FAR superior in the overall fit'n'finish and the built to last feel. Own one for the past year and I'm still grinning from ear-to-ear. Never gave up on me, no dramas, packs a punch (but crossing 80 initially takes a tad more than you expect, but that's only till the bike gets used to it), sticks to the road on corners as if running on a rail. Once rode a Pulsar and I felt everything is going to fall apart in every pothole on the road, on the other other hand the fz feels as if sculpted from a single chunk of metal. 13 months and 15000kms down, I'm one satisfied rider, dare I say lover

EDIT: Forgot to add, the bike still turns some serious heads. Mine being the S version in Black/Yellow Livery adds more to the head turning factor. Gets even better with the chin light on, I'm Lovin' It!

Best wishes, God bless!
Scorcher, Now that you have close to 4 years of ownership with your FZ, can you help to update on the below concerns which I collected through reading multiple reviews of the FZ

1. Riding this bike is prone to backache after use every day.
2. The bike tires get punctured very frequently mostly air leakage from the rims which cannot be easily detected
3. The tires last only 15~20K Kms.
4. The spare parts are costlier and increases the ownership cost.
5. The service support is not as good as Honda or Hero / Bajaj.
6. The ride comfort is not as good as Unicorn or Suzuki GS150R.

I am planning to buy a new 150cc bike and am considering Unicorn and FZ-S on top of the list. Have been riding a Unicorn for the past 5 years as well. Given that you have been riding FZ for past 4 years, I want to know your opinion in the ownership experience.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 08:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Scorcher, Now that you have close to 4 years of ownership with your FZ, can you help to update on the below concerns which I collected through reading multiple reviews of the FZ

1. Riding this bike is prone to backache after use every day.
2. The bike tires get punctured very frequently mostly air leakage from the rims which cannot be easily detected
3. The tires last only 15~20K Kms.
4. The spare parts are costlier and increases the ownership cost.
5. The service support is not as good as Honda or Hero / Bajaj.
6. The ride comfort is not as good as Unicorn or Suzuki GS150R.

I am planning to buy a new 150cc bike and am considering Unicorn and FZ-S on top of the list. Have been riding a Unicorn for the past 5 years as well. Given that you have been riding FZ for past 4 years, I want to know your opinion in the ownership experience.
Hi,

I have owned an FZ for the past 4 years and 33k km. I'll respond to your statements.

1. I'm 5'10". I have a back problem but I'm very comfortable on the bike.
2. I very rarely had punctures. (Good luck, maybe?). If the air leaks at the joint between the tyre and rim, it's because the rim might be bent or because the tyre bead is dirty or because the tyre seal is failing. The back tyre in my bike started to leak air from the joint with the rim but by then the tyre was already at the end of its life.
3. The tyres lasted my 30k km. Maintaining correct tyre pressures is critical to ensuring good life of the tyre.
4. Parts are reasonably priced. Common running parts like brake pads, filters, etc. are the same as other brands. Generally the parts quality is decent and they last a long time.
5. Service is not good. But I've seen and read about Honda's service. They are just as bad. Bajaj are also bad for cheaper bikes but are very good for their KTM and other expensive bikes.
6. The FZ is not an uncomfortable bike to ride on normal city roads. The Unicorn and GS may be more comfortable but the trade-off is poorer handling. The FZ is not very powerful but the handling is very good and makes it enjoyable in city conditions.

My bike has never given me any major problems so far and I'm quite happy with it. I used to have a Pulsar and its reliability was much worse than my FZ. Important parts were replaced on a regular basis. But it too never let me down.

Good luck with your purchase!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 10:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Hi,

I have owned an FZ for the past 4 years and 33k km. I'll respond to your statements.
Wow!! This was exactly the information I was looking for from people who has been riding the FZ for a few years. Thanks so much Motard_Blr.

Talking of Honda Service, I was just waiting for one hour at Haiku Honda to leave my Unicorn for servicing. After one hour of waiting, the service manager told me that they are not accepting any more vehicles for the day since they are too full.

Last edited by gopikb : 25th November 2013 at 10:49.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 20:05   #23
BHPian

guys - i need some serious help on the "What bike to buy" question.

i need something for a daily commute from north bangalore (Hebbal) to east Bangalore (Whitefield). Those of you familiar know that this 17 odd kms distance will take at least 45 mins if you are lucky and are on a bike. In a car about 30 to 45 mins more. 9 times out of 10 its stop and go kind of traffic with a lot of bad stretches of road.
Might also indulge in some weekend trips.

I currently ride wifey's activa to work instead of the Honda City. Its good but i feel my back is going to be busted soon.
Need your help in deciding what bike can i pickup for my need.

Priorities
1. Need something that could take the abuse of the bangalore roads and traffic and not let it impact my health. This is the topmost priority. I am a very sedate rider.
2. Looks. I am a full fairing bike kinda guy. and a RE or the likes dont even suit my physical appearance. But am open to them. never ridden a RE yet though. But i dont want an avenger kind of a bike. IT will become a pain in the stop and go traffic.
3. budget can be stretched upto a cbr250 kind of range.

FE is probably last on my list as i am not going to be doing cross country touring.

Let me know.
arepalli99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 21:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
guys - i need some serious help on the "What bike to buy" question.......... Let me know.
I would suggest you to test drive the karizma zma/zmr. I feel it fits best taking into account your priorities. CBR250 really isn't a bike for city commute ,it's more of a tourer in my opinion.
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 01:01   #25
BHPian

A CBR or any fully faired bike will be difficult to negotiate in the city, whereas a power commuter would suit your need way better.
A Honda Unicorn should be good enough.
Else wait for the unveiling of the Pulsar 200 SS at the Delhi Auto Expo.
preetam_KORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 07:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
guys - i need some serious help on the "What bike to buy" question.

i need something for a daily commute from north bangalore (Hebbal) to east Bangalore (Whitefield). Those of you familiar know that this 17 odd kms distance will take at least 45 mins if you are lucky and are on a bike. In a car about 30 to 45 mins more. 9 times out of 10 its stop and go kind of traffic with a lot of bad stretches of road.
Might also indulge in some weekend trips.

I currently ride wifey's activa to work instead of the Honda City. Its good but i feel my back is going to be busted soon.

Let me know.
I don't know how a geared motorcycle can beat the comfort of an automatic scooter. The auto transmission is a boon but maybe the suspension wouldn't isolate you as much as a motorcycle would. The two Hondas mentioned already are nearly perfect as commuters that can handle bad roads. However based on your comments regards the fairing you might find the Zma's looks a little hard to digest. The Zma won't be that excuse to go on a tour just for the heck of it, but it can tour very well if asked to do so. A very under rated tourer.

Used 2 year old Zmas are available for very little money, some very good values really.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 17:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I don't know how a geared motorcycle can beat the comfort of an automatic scooter. The auto transmission is a boon but maybe the suspension wouldn't isolate you as much as a motorcycle would. The two Hondas mentioned already are nearly perfect as commuters that can handle bad roads. However based on your comments regards the fairing you might find the Zma's looks a little hard to digest. The Zma won't be that excuse to go on a tour just for the heck of it, but it can tour very well if asked to do so. A very under rated tourer. Used 2 year old Zmas are available for very little money, some very good values really.
I agree with the point about automatic/gearless bikes. But we don't have any options in India beyond the activa or Vespa.

I will test drive the zma soon.
arepalli99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 18:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need your help in deciding what bike can i pickup for my need.
For stop and go traffic, an automatic scooter is really very comfortable over any geared bike. I would recommend you any of the following:

1. Aviator
3. Suzuki Swish
4. Suzuki Access

2-3 have good power, and 1 has excellent reliability of Honda. The common point in this list is scooters with telescopic suspensions. The activa that broke your back has a link type suspension, which gets worse with every passing kilometer. However the above scooters have telescopic suspension similar to bike, and offer much comfort over link type.

You may add Wego and other TVS scooters that have similar suspensions, somehow I don't like them, so didn't add them. Yamaha Ray too has such suspension but I haven't ridden it, so can't suggest.

For such heavy traffic, trust me, no amount of power in the bike gives as much comfort as an automatic scooter. Keep biking separate from commuting

My primary suggestion will be top version of Aviator with Disk brakes. They work beautifully, though costs some 6-7k more than base version. In that additional money, you get front disk brake, alloy wheels and body color panels on the inner handle part. Any day worth spending the extra if you are going for Aviator.

Last edited by ani_meher : 7th January 2014 at 18:47.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 18:48   #29
BHPian

Why not a 150cc or a 125cc bike? Powerful bikes do not make sense in stop and go traffic.

You dont have a lot of options with the faired bikes.

R15 v2 looks good and is equally bad when it comes to pillion. Your better half will find it very difficult to even get on the pillion seat.

CBR150R could be a good option in case you want a faired bike.

My suggestions would be FZ or Shine/Stunner.
katchkamalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 18:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Why not a 150cc or a 125cc bike? Powerful bikes do not make sense in stop and go traffic.
Kamlesh does that stand true for Cars also ? and if not why not.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote