Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th December 2010, 20:56   #1
BHPian

Default Help Required on Yezdi Deluxe

Friends, i have got a 1989 Yezdi Deluxe, and am facing some problems with that.
three months back i had planned to ready the engine, and had bought a new standard bore, and had replaced all the bearings. All the work was done.
After starting the Engine, There was some engine noise, so i thought the noise was from the Gearbox, as there was some work done on the GEARBOX, and thought it will reduce upon running the bike for 1500 Kms.
After ridign 1500 Kms, i took the bike for a long ride, and the bike ceases for every 30- 40 mins. Now after the long ride, there seem to have developed some bore noise, and gearbox noise has increased.
Any suggestions on this?
srinikasyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:16   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Help Required on Yezdi Deluxe

Check the crank for the noise you were referring to.

As to why it seizes, can you be more descriptive about the seizing? Is it a dul rising note leading to a scream and then shut off? In which case it'd be piston expansion. What piston are you running? Check the carb as well.

How'd you source a new bore?!

How? When? Where?

Is it an original?

Please write me and tell me more! I'd really be interested in picking up spares if any are available.

If it isn't original though that could be the cause of all your problems. But, considering your collection of bikes I'm sure you already know this and were careful about what you bought.

Cheers

Rahul
RT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 21:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Check the crank for the noise you were referring to.

As to why it seizes, can you be more descriptive about the seizing? Is it a dul rising note leading to a scream and then shut off? In which case it'd be piston expansion. What piston are you running? Check the carb as well.

How'd you source a new bore?!

How? When? Where?

Is it an original?

Please write me and tell me more! I'd really be interested in picking up spares if any are available.

If it isn't original though that could be the cause of all your problems. But, considering your collection of bikes I'm sure you already know this and were careful about what you bought.

Cheers

Rahul
Hi Rahul,
Thanks for the reply,
Its not an Original Bore, but i picked up this bore from a reliable person, and its one of the Best brands of local available in Chennai. He had 2, and we had picked up both and they are running on two diff bikes.
Yea siezure means the same which you are referring to. a loud noise and the bike goes off. Its the piston which i got with this bore.
i got it for 3000 Rs, and my mechanic also vouched that its a Coimbatore Bore, and much better than the ones available.
Reg the noise, what to check with the CRANK? its all repaired and overhauled.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:00   #4

Hi,
The bore ceasing is okay till the 1500kms. But if it had ceased more than 5 or 6 times then check ur bore. This could have damaged ur bore. The coimbatore bore had a complain of the same type with one of my roadkings. also check if the piston rod has a play. Also if u can tell me what kind of noise it is, may be i can help u. if the sound comes only when u open the accelerator then also check ur carb slider. PM me, I might be able solve ur problem.

- Praveen Daniel
praveendaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 16:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hope you are adding more 2t oil for the first 2000 km run.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 19:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Hope you are adding more 2t oil for the first 2000 km run.

Do that and next time it happens open the spark plug add some engine oil to the cylender. Let it sit for 10minutes and kich again.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Hello Praveen, noise cannot come from the Slide, its a new Pacco carb.
It ceased more times. i had taken it for a 1300 Kms ride, Chennai - Kodai.
I added extra 250 Ml oil for a Full tank of fuel, in addition to normal oil with the fuel.
my new addition!

A Colt Deluxe! 1985 model.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow !!! You seem to be an Yezdi freak. I need help in fixing my CL-II.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
Hi Rahul, Thanks for the reply,
Its not an Original Bore, but i picked up this bore from a reliable person, and its one of the Best brands of local available in Chennai. He had 2, and we had picked up both and they are running on two diff bikes.
Yea siezure means the same which you are referring to. a loud noise and the bike goes off. Its the piston which i got with this bore.
i got it for 3000 Rs, and my mechanic also vouched that its a Coimbatore Bore, and much better than the ones available.
Reg the noise, what to check with the CRANK? its all repaired and overhauled.
Hmmm.... well it sounds like a piston issue all right. To be honest, I've never actually seen a local bore. Piston yes, bore never. So I'm not sure how good, bad or indifferent, it would be.

Trouble is, metallurgy usually is really bad on these things. The seizing is def due to the piston. I used to have the same problem when I got my bike. Previous owner had put in a crappy local piston.

I finally found a very good quality (local) piston made by the guys who do CNC reboring in Bangalore (pretty famous) and have had no problems at all since I replaced it with that.

Your options would be either to wait it out until the bore opens up and the piston expansion doesn't seize it. This isn't ideal because it would essentially mean your bore needs to get a little battered.

The second option is to open it up, take out the piston and take a bit of metal off the piston, all along it, until just below the top. This would still allow compression but would allow for the expansion. This would at least save your bore from damage and shouldn't cause any real problems.

Your third option is to find a better piston and replace it.
Old 29th December 2010, 07:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Wow !!! You seem to be an Yezdi freak. I need help in fixing my CL-II.
Hi Esteem lover: whats wrong with your CL-2, wru in chennai? i work @ Guindy & Stay in Thiruvanmiyur.
@ RT: i am going to try to take out a ring of metal from the BORE. Lets see what happens.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@ RT: i am going to try to take out a ring of metal from the BORE. Lets see what happens.
Srini, I seriously do not advise that... Once you take metal off the bore there is NO going back. And expansion and seizing is caused by the piston not the bore. Seriously consider trying another piston or taking metal off the current one. You can write off the piston easily enough but the bore is serious heartache if it gets buggered up..

Besides, you can't take off small amounts of metal on a jig bore. Which is why they usually do it in increments of .5. Even .25 (claimed by lots of people) is rarely an accurate enough job even for a CNC machine, which I don't think anyone in Madras has (only one guy in Bangalore and someone in Bombay do to my knowledge).
Old 29th December 2010, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Srini, I seriously do not advise that... Once you take metal off the bore there is NO going back. And expansion and seizing is caused by the piston not the bore. Seriously consider trying another piston or taking metal off the current one. You can write off the piston easily enough but the bore is serious heartache if it gets buggered up..

Besides, you can't take off small amounts of metal on a jig bore. Which is why they usually do it in increments of .5. Even .25 (claimed by lots of people) is rarely an accurate enough job even for a CNC machine, which I don't think anyone in Madras has (only one guy in Bangalore and someone in Bombay do to my knowledge).
Hi RT, We take the bore the Lathe shop, and ask them to keep some clearance on thee bore, maybe they will grind off one "thou" and its also called as Lapping( Correct me if ia m wrong). WHich will give way for the piston to expand. Anyways i will lookout for a Piston too.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Esteem lover: whats wrong with your CL-2, wru in chennai? i work @ Guindy & Stay in Thiruvanmiyur.
Srini, I stay in Koyambedu and work in Anna Nagar, I guess we are in different poles. The first and second gears slip in my yezdi. Also a full service is required. Need to know a handy mech near by.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi RT, We take the bore the Lathe shop, and ask them to keep some clearance on thee bore, maybe they will grind off one "thou" and its also called as Lapping( Correct me if ia m wrong). WHich will give way for the piston to expand. Anyways i will lookout for a Piston too.

Ah, so THIS is what people refer to as lapping. I was going to ask about it next time somebody posted.

Well, I hope it works for your sake Srini, otherwise it would have messed up a new bore.

Just fyi, if they're telling you they can grind one 'thou' off, ask them one thou of what. And if they say one-thousandth of a cm I would seriously take it with a BUCKET of salt. Even CNC boring machines of the highest accuracy here in Bangalore take it down to only .25 of a mm (which is why the incremental sizes of pistons are a minimum of .25mm's, and even that is arguably not easily achieved other than by CNC machines). .01 mm's is a virtually ridiculous claim, also because it is unlikely the bore metallurgy is so perfect as to allow an equal removal of .01 all around.

Of course mechanics will always claim the most outrageous things with complete confidence.

Hope it works out in the New Year

Happy New Year to all.

Cheers

Rahul
Old 4th January 2011, 07:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Srini, I stay in Koyambedu and work in Anna Nagar, I guess we are in different poles. The first and second gears slip in my yezdi. Also a full service is required. Need to know a handy mech near by.
@ Esteen: There is one mech, Mani who is near Anna nagar, call and speak with him. You can refer my name if needed.9941501020

Quote:
Ah, so THIS is what people refer to as lapping. I was going to ask about it next time somebody posted.

Well, I hope it works for your sake Srini, otherwise it would have messed up a new bore.

Just fyi, if they're telling you they can grind one 'thou' off, ask them one thou of what. And if they say one-thousandth of a cm I would seriously take it with a BUCKET of salt. Even CNC boring machines of the highest accuracy here in Bangalore take it down to only .25 of a mm (which is why the incremental sizes of pistons are a minimum of .25mm's, and even that is arguably not easily achieved other than by CNC machines). .01 mm's is a virtually ridiculous claim, also because it is unlikely the bore metallurgy is so perfect as to allow an equal removal of .01 all around.

Of course mechanics will always claim the most outrageous things with complete confidence.

Hope it works out in the New Year

Happy New Year to all.

Cheers

Rahul
@ Rahul: Thanks and same to you and all others out here.
Let me try first asking my mech to open up the Bore, and then will see what can be done to it.