Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th January 2011, 00:26   #1
BHPian

Smile Unicorn Engine Upgrade!!!

Hi,

I have been a big fan of the Honda Unicorn ever since it was launched. While I rode a bullet for over 5 years, my younger brother had a Unicorn, which coincidently amongst the first lot of Unicorns manufactured and sold.
After a couple of years of selling my Bullet and becoming a carwala, I decided to put my monies into a Unicorn again.
I totally love the bike and decided to take my riding from beyond highways to off the road with the bike and a conversion later, I haven't been disappointed.

Now after a couple of thousand kms of touring and off road testing, I have this dream of plonking a 200+ engine onto the bike (but plenty of reading later, it works out to be a rather expensive affair).
An idea that came out, based on studying the ZMA and Unicorn engine externally and keeping the technology in mind, I presume that the piston and cylinder should sit right into the Unicorns engine.. This ofcourse is rather half baked understanding.

Anyone with the know how of the possibility of the same. I am already scouring the chor bazaar type markets for a crashed ZMA to be a donor (maybe even a total engine swap is possible if I find one with a good running motor).

I have a free flow filter installed and 17" Pirelli MT60 at the rear, so the torque increase has been good, want more torque from the off roading point of view!!
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 00:57   #2
BANNED

Default Re: Unicorn Engine Upgrade!!!

Umm, Why not just buy a second hand KArizma instead and save the trouble. This "engine swap" will never work. I suggest you not do it as it is just not viable. And it is a safety hazard too.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 01:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
An idea that came out, based on studying the ZMA and Unicorn engine externally and keeping the technology in mind, I presume that the piston and cylinder should sit right into the Unicorns engine.. This ofcourse is rather half baked understanding.!!
The Uni engine is an offset bore and not sure if it will work with ZMA parts.

you are waay better off starting with a ZMA
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 09:29   #4
BHPian

Get a ZMA piston (65.5mm), re-bore the current cylinder, port the head and get a bigger carb and air intake.
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 04:27   #5
BHPian

How about getting yourself a CBR250R!
altius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 10:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
How about getting yourself a CBR250R!
hehehehe... yes yes why not, but then I am limited to road use only!! Besides ideally if I were to look at a 250 I would rather look at the ZX250R except for the ridiculous cost!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
Get a ZMA piston (65.5mm), re-bore the current cylinder, port the head and get a bigger carb and air intake.
is it really possible??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The Uni engine is an offset bore and not sure if it will work with ZMA parts.

you are waay better off starting with a ZMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Umm, Why not just buy a second hand KArizma instead and save the trouble. This "engine swap" will never work. I suggest you not do it as it is just not viable. And it is a safety hazard too.
Safety Hazard if the chassis isn't strong enough to hold it in place right!!
Old 8th January 2011, 12:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Chassis is capable and if combined with a ZMA engine it'll be a fun machine. Lighter in weight than ZMA, and nimble. And i hear that installing the ZMA engine with unicorn chassis is a straightforward job.

I liked the front end look of your Unicorn, the enduro type mudguard gels well with the headlamp and visor assembly.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Chassis is capable and if combined with a ZMA engine it'll be a fun machine. Lighter in weight than ZMA, and nimble. And i hear that installing the ZMA engine with unicorn chassis is a straightforward job.

I liked the front end look of your Unicorn, the enduro type mudguard gels well with the headlamp and visor assembly.
good news that is!! Super, time to intensify my search for a good running motor!!

I have a lot more fine tuning to do on the front section, the rear is set (for the time being, till I can figure out how to increase the ground clearance a little more for the rear section).

The 2 inch boosters mounted for height increase upfront to accommodate a 19" wheel upfront are not exactly even and the fork stabilizer is a very crude version of the finished product!!

Last edited by intoxicangel : 8th January 2011 at 13:45. Reason: Typos!!
Old 9th January 2011, 20:01   #9
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Unicorn Engine Upgrade!!!

Instead of all this headache, why don't you just take your bike to Joel & he'll do the needful for you with the same engine itself. It will definitely be more fun to drive than a stock ZMA engine. All the Best for your quest.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 20:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Contact VENU in Banglore he is the best person to look at if you need to do such a MOD.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 20:45   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Unicorn Engine Upgrade!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Contact VENU in Banglore he is the best person to look at if you need to do such a MOD.
Venu & Joel, both of them are equally good in their jobs, I've ridden bikes done by venu & they are good. But my P220 has been worked up on by Joel & I can vouch for him too. I think depending on where you stay, you can take a call. If Siddaiah Road is closer to you, then go to Venu. If Koramangala is closer to you then you can go to Joel. Joel is in Ten10 racing & their team has done pretty well in the championship, so I'm sure this will tell you about his capabilities. Rest is all upto you.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 15:58   #12
BHPian

I have read about both Joel and Venu's eploits with the twin fiero and 200cc fiero.. and heard a lot bout the work they do.. so yes, does sound like a plan..

anyone with contact details of either?? I stay in Vijayanagar, so either ways I don't mind going either ways!!
Old 10th March 2011, 12:54   #13
BHPian

Take extreme caution if you plan to change your exhaust. The results have not been very good with modified exhaust.
I have seen free flows kill the lower sections of the tacho completely.
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 15:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Take extreme caution if you plan to change your exhaust. The results have not been very good with modified exhaust.
I have seen free flows kill the lower sections of the tacho completely.
Which modified exhaust are you refering to?
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Which modified exhaust are you refering to?
I cannot exactly say it was because of the exhaust. May be it was because of poor workmanship, or wrong specifications.
The exhaust was made by some company called tectrac or so.
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote