Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th January 2011, 12:58   #1
BHPian

Default Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

Dear Freinds,

I have spent the past few days in going through various threads, ownership reviews, photos etc., and would want to write down what i want seeking your help.

I want to buy an RE Bullet as my signature states. I always had this passion of owning a bullet. It also happened to me breifly during the year 99 when i bought a '83 model standard bulllet and rode it for 18 months. Then i had my first Car and the usage for my bull became very limited. Considering the financial situation and the mind set etc., during then, i thought it was difficult to maintain the same and did away with that. Now, i know what blunder i made by doing the same. Anyway that is past and want to re-claim the bullet thing.

Currently own a Fiesta and that is for my day to day office drives. But, just to have the pleasure of a motorbike, i am again thinking of going in for a Bullet and obviously i am confused to get the right thing.

Used bullet - CI engine, authentic etc., but the seconds are expensive as well with all those inherited problems anyway. Still if i could get a good deal on a well maintained bull, i will go for it. So the exercise have started.

New with ALL UCE Twinspark engines : I went to the Royal Enfield exclusive in Chennai and had a close look and did TD on 3 of them. First thing was - it was so easy for me to handle all those bullets and that gave me confidence. (probably becuase i have ridden this beast few years back)

Forgetting that none comes with the old CI, i need to analyse within what is available and i am just putting my mind below and PROS and CONS are just for me from my angle of thinking :

UCE STD 350
Pros :
Still retaining the bullet charm
All black
Muscular fenders (mudguards)
Old type head lights and tail lights
RE emblem on the tank with gold lining painted
Straight forward seats and a descent handle bar
Cons :
Front drum brakes
No self start (for me, i don't need it anyway)
Headlight does not light without the bull being started, so power may dip on low speeds (atleast that is what the sales man told me)

My own opinion on buying : 80%

Electra 350
Pros
Retains most of the bullet charm
Disk brakes
Electric start
Cons
More of chrome, which i do not like
The fenders/mudguards are thin and hence lots of space seen between the tyres and them which makes it little odd (not looking solid)
RE emblem on the tank
Shocks look thin and thick - not the conventional

My own opinion on buying : 70% as i do not need the ES but forced with one and no choice

Thunderbird
Pros
Well styled
Comfortable
Disk brakes
Tach meters and those stuff
Cons
More chrome again which is not to my liking
Not the conventional head light assembly
let me put it this way , much of it is non-conventional

Opinon on buying : 80%. If i could convince myself against the conventional look and those Chromy things, the look is a killer and my KIDS like this one too very much.

Finally the CL350
Pros
Both conventional looks and modern
ES, even if i do not want
Front disk brakes
18" tyres
Lovely fitting muscular fenders/mud guards
beautiful tail tamp
Zapper tyres
ride comfort was good as well
cons :
Seats, the look is fantastic, but i am not sure how practical it is going to be with double seats when i take my kids or my wife out

Opinion on buying - 90% as it fits mostly all my expectations.

Above is my own perception and i have not taken into account the price difference between all of these. Also, i might have missed more pros and cons.

So, now, when considering all above and also the price, i am either thinking of going in for the UCE STD350 (main loss is the disk brakes, but i know many of the older bullets still run with drums and for normal speeds, that should be fine). And, i can change the seats, exhaust to may taste after some time and not spending money upfront for an ES etc.,

OR

Straight away the Classic 350 by paying additionally 18K and get the best of both worlds and just work on the seats to my liking without compromising on the aesthetics. Pls do not ask me how did i arrive at those buying %s, i have not done any spreadsheet thing, just i have put down what my mind said.

I am still breaking my head on this and any tips on used bullets or the ones above will be great. The waiting period is too much, but no choice if i want to get one of these beauties.

Note : I may not do any long trip touring and this will mostly be used for weekends with my family and self drives to meet up my freinds. I will also plan to take it to my office atleast a day in a week.

Thanks and please help.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:10   #2
BHPian

Default re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

I am also in a similar situation. I also like the 500 but heard that EFI has a lot of reliability issues where as 350 is a tested and reliable engine. Though I would rate the looks of Bullet std at par with the classic but I would like to add here that You can always use the kick start at your discretion but the ES saves some serious embarrassment when the bike stalls in a dense or moving traffic some times.
Another deciding factor could be the waiting period. Classics have a waiting period of 8 months where the rest have a waiting of 4 months in Hyderabad. Does this make it easier for you to decide in favor the Std 350?
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:32   #3
BHPian

Default re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

huntrz,

thanks for sharing. i agree to your point on the ES and it is of a definite help at certain points. yes, the waiting period in Chennai is very similar and will have to see if there are other means to expedite a delivery. Not sure though. Still contemplating on which one but it has to be either a STD or Classic for me.

Swami
Old 13th January 2011, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Note : I may not do any long trip touring and this will mostly be used for weekends with my family and self drives to meet up my freinds. I will also plan to take it to my office atleast a day in a week.
No brainer. The CL350 ofcourse.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think that if you want to ride with your Mrs. and the KIDS. and want the old world charm and every thing go for the STD 350. when you buy it rite away get the disk fitted and you are good.

The CL350 is a good looking bike engine wise its all the same. but the STD 350 is way more comfy when compared to any of the others apart from ELECTRA.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I think that if you want to ride with your Mrs. and the KIDS. and want the old world charm and every thing go for the STD 350. when you buy it rite away get the disk fitted and you are good.

The CL350 is a good looking bike engine wise its all the same. but the STD 350 is way more comfy when compared to any of the others apart from ELECTRA.
Thanks spitfire for the suggestion.

@desideep, can we fit the disk straight from RE or is it aftermarket only ? pls clarify why STD is less comfy than Electra - because, the outer specs were all exactly same for both, starting from Handlebar, Seat, Tyres etc., and i sat on both which made no difference. Probably i missed something to spot. thanks for clarifying. (only thing the sales guy mentioned was electra comes with MRF tyres and STD comes with Dunlop tyres !)

Swami
Old 13th January 2011, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

The disc brake kit for Standard is available from RE. Even though the older Bullets run well without discs in front, personally I prefer one. Also, the UCE Twin Spark is capable of doing decent speeds, so I would put that on top of my list.

If you do not plan to do long rides, then the Classic 350 is the best option. The seats of Classic do not pose any issues for short trips.

Last edited by kaushikr : 13th January 2011 at 17:09. Reason: grammer
kaushikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:54   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

Hi
I had been in a similar situation couple of months back. I had test driven all the vehicles more than 3 times and i really got on the nerves of the sales executives in REB showroom in chennai. Finally i had booked the 500cc classic in december. It has got a 10month waiting period and i am ok with it. I had almost booked the 350cc when the thread by randhawa made me take more test drives and changed my mind to 500cc. The EFI setup in 500cc is not a complex one and has got very little issues. This has been confirmed by other 500cc owners i had met. Why dont you read the post 4100km ownership review of REB 500cc by randhawa and it might change your mind. Only point against classic is the long drive comfort which is not as good as your Standard or thunderbird.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:19   #9
BHPian

Avoid the CI's. CI's need a a bit more attention compared to the UCE's. The exorbitant amount at which people are selling their CIs is absurd
Go for the Standard 350 UCE.
Disk brakes can be fitted from the showroom itself costs an additional 9k approx.
Well worth it.
As far as seating is concerned Standard UCE's are rolled out with Electra seats, differs from region to region. Ask at your showroom. Electra seats costs around 2.5k.
Tyres again differs from region to region some are sold with MRF some are sold with Dunlop.
iron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks spitfire for the suggestion.

@desideep, can we fit the disk straight from RE or is it aftermarket only ? pls clarify why STD is less comfy than Electra - because, the outer specs were all exactly same for both, starting from Handlebar, Seat, Tyres etc., and i sat on both which made no difference. Probably i missed something to spot. thanks for clarifying. (only thing the sales guy mentioned was electra comes with MRF tyres and STD comes with Dunlop tyres !)

Swami
Yes the DISK is a fitment avaiable with RE it costs aroun 7.5 K iirc. i am sorry but i never said that the comfer is differnt in STD and ELECTRA, they both are the same. if i am going to buy one for look i may go for a CL but for riding and comfort i will go for a STD or a ELECTRA . hmmmm i am sure i will go for a STANDARD cause the black is what i want in a bullet.

I may be wrong but what i have realised that the new SHOCKERs on the CL and C500 are very stiff on any of the settings and the ride is bumpy when compared to the older GAS shocks and also when compared to the STD shock.

I would love to see a UCE STD350 in your driveway soon. best of luck

The front rubber would not make much of a diference. for the rear try to go MRF nylogrip 3.50 size. and you would be happy dont stick with the DUNLOP if you get it as stock.
On the front if you can find a IRC in 19 inch go for it i cant remember the exact model of the tyre. but it gave mazing grip for DISK and even otherwise it was a better looker and better performer.

Last edited by desideep : 13th January 2011 at 19:25.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 08:21   #11
BHPian

Personally I would opt for the 350CI, easy maintainance, very good residual value and if the TLS is set up correctly then it proves to be a good stopper. I would not be without mine (all 3 of them).
REgards Peter.
elan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Hi, thanks very much for all the encouragement and tips on choosing the correct one for my needs.

@kaushikr - thanks and my family and freinds (who does not know more details about a bullet) also say go in for the Classic 350 and they are just fascinated by the looks.

@drrajasaravanan - I have gone through Randhawa's reviews, but to be honest, i am not willing to stretch that much for a CL500 considering my needs because my primary vehicle is anyway going to be my car. Thanks for your suggestion and i would love to, but does not bring in value for me.

@ iron - thanks and it seems many people suggest to have the disk brakes which i feel makes a lots of sense irrespective of riding higher speeds are not. So that makes an additional 8-9K over the STD price and probaly few more Ks for tyres etc., That is going to hit close to the CL350 price then. hmmm, then CL350 makes more sense to go for with more features like better tyres, better lights etc.,, is it not?

@ desideep - thanks for your suggestions and with respect to the shockers, i will again go today for another TR on the Classic and see. Tyres - suggested a change + disk brakes.

Thanks again to all of you in providing valuable tips and i am just worried about the waiting period. Working on it and i will let you all know my decision soon.

Swami
Old 14th January 2011, 15:25   #13
BHPian

Hi,
I have tried with all dealers in tamilnadu but i could not cut down the waiting period by more than a month at the most. Since i have waited a long time for this a couple of more months would not matter for me. But randhawa suggested you can book the vehicle in chandigarh with a delivery time of less than 3 months. Plus the cost of the vehicle is tad bit lower than in chennai so that would compensate for the transportation charge bringing REB back to chennai. If you can find a way around it and can get a REB within a short period let me know.
Cheers.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 14th January 2011 at 15:27.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 20:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
@ iron - thanks and it seems many people suggest to have the disk brakes which i feel makes a lots of sense irrespective of riding higher speeds are not. So that makes an additional 8-9K over the STD price and probaly few more Ks for tyres etc., That is going to hit close to the CL350 price then. hmmm, then CL350 makes more sense to go for with more features like better tyres, better lights etc.,, is it not?
Hi Swami,

A CL350 costs around Rs 119,363 in bangalore and a STD costs around Rs. 99,674 on road. I just got myself an electra on Jan 8th (Rs 111,500 plus 1200 for the std leg gaurd) and seems to be doing good. I wanted a self start as its bit more convinent in city rides. My first service is due this weekend. Will let you know how it holds.

regards,
Sunil
sunil.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Hi sunil.nv thanks and glad to know that you have got yourself a Electra. Please share with us your experience on the new bull.

I am breaking my head over new vs used because of this long waiting period. I might not have the patience for 8 months. So, i am looking for some 2008/2009 models with low Km/well maintained vehicles. Let me see where i end up. I will keep the forum updated on that soon.

Swami