Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th January 2011, 18:19   #1
BHPian

Default I want to take a bike abroad for a trip and bring it back.

Hey. I made a thread sometime back regarding bringing a bike to india. That does not seem logical and quite expensive. So there goes my triumph and ducati idea. Anyway i am planning a trip to south america in 2012. Aug 2012 to be precise. I was due to do it by bus. But reading alot of blogs i see that many take their bikes with them for their adventures and bring them back once done. I am looking at such an expedition myself now. As i am located in London i have gone around looking for quotes to export and import a bike on temporary basis but the quotation is nearly 3 lakhs without insurance which is another 40 thousand i gave them the weight and dimensions of a bmw g650. Anyway i was hoping that perhaps coming to india buying myself a reliable touring bike or something close to a touring bike and shipping it to chile where i plan to begin my journey. any idea how much sea shipment will cost? I have researched the import laws and no carnet is necessary, a temporary import permit will be given there which is valid for 6 months. The only reason i want to do it this way is, due to very expensive rental options, infact as expensive as ship cargo from london for a 5 month expedition and the fact that i am not able to purchase a bike in any country as i am not a resident. anyway all i need to know is: 1) shipment cost from india to chile or any other south american destination except brazil as customs seem to be a pain there. 2) type of bike - i have an enfield but id rather not take a bike i am attached to incase it gets stolen. So which other 4 stroke bike is considered great on indian roads as the roads out there are similar to the ones in india.
ronaldfurtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 00:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: I want to take a bike abroad for a trip and bring it back.

Anyway you look at it, its going to work out expensive. I believe shipping to south America would be costly. Personally, although I never owned a RE, after reading all the niggles with even the modern day REs, as someone who has toured in various countries, I dont think using the RE in a far off land seems a great proposition unless you want to carry all the potential spares and can repair the bike yourself. As for the official imports available in India (Bandit 1250, etc that are better suited for touring), you will be buying it at almost double the price it costs abroad and then you have to ship it and what not. If it is damaged/stolen, that much more heartache...and cost.

I know you did mention about your residency status, but the best bet would be (if possible) to buy a low mileage used Suzuki DL650 or Kawasaki KLR650 in USA (should get for between US$ 3-4k) and ride down to south America or ship it out there. After the trip it can be sold off in USA. These are very reliable bikes & easy to repair as well as sell. Besides, if you need any part/tire etc, you can get it shipped in less time from USA than anywhere else.

You can search/put your above query in Horizons Unlimited - THE Motorcycle Travel site or Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum. Lots of helpful guys/gals there and they may be able to give you more info on shipping/customs and other details pertaining to south america. Good luck.

Last edited by Haroon : 27th January 2011 at 00:25.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 10:08   #3
BHPian

Why dont you rent a bike in which ever country you visit, this way you will also get service back up and other services. It will be more economical and hassle free. The adventurous trip you are looking at will be more in going through the custom formalities rather than the ride itself, if you have to take one from another country,

I am sure, you would have looked at this option, but why would you want to take one along with you?

Have you evaluated a cross country bike tour? Which can be more adventurous...

Good luck,

Srisha
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:02   #4
BHPian

Hi ronaldfurtado,

It is really interesting to read your plans of doing a South America trip on a motorcycle. Since you are not going to take your own motorcycle, it is always better to hire or buy it in the country of touring and sell it after it is done. This is more economical and involves less legal complications.

Have a safe and enjoyable touring.

Anyway just an off-topic info. One of my colleagues (a German national) has done an extensive touring on an Enfield few years ago. I just thought of sharing the interesting read and photos link now. I hope T-BHPians would be interested. The below is the mail I had received from him.

"Dear all,

As you might heard already this is not the first time Im in India. I visited your country already during a travel from 1990 to 1991 after high school and before university. I first saw an Enfield in Nepal returning from a Trek around the Annapurna Sanctuary and fell immediately in love with this beautiful old-fashioned motorcycle.

Coming from Nepal I first stayed in Varanasi before heading to Madurai where I bought an Enfield Bullet 350. Continuing the travel on 2 wheels I visited Kodaikanal, Mysore, Udaipur, Jaipur, Agra, Delhi among many other places before driving further north to Kashmir. Next stations I remember were Srinagar, Leh, Manali and back to Delhi before I visited Amritsar and crossed the border to Pakistan. The "way home" went through Iran, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, and Czechoslovakia before finally returning to Berlin after almost one year of travelling.

I remember my stay in India as a great time. Please click on the following link to see some pictures from that journey. Because I sold my camera equipment to have enough money for a used Enfield there are only few remaining, some in poor quality. I hope its enough to give you an impression about and unforgettable experience in a time where digital cameras were unknown, PC and Internet uncommon and the first cell phones with the size of a suitcase unpayable.
1991 India to Germany

The next trip with my Enfield was 1992 From Berlin to the Northern Cape and back through Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. Mostly I remember 3 weeks of rain out of a 5 weeks journey and temperatures near zero degrees already end of August. But the landscape in Scandinavia is beautiful and the Northern Cape a must for a "real motorcyclist" such as the Everest for a mountaineer ;-)
1992 Northern Cape

The final tour with my Enfield was a 5 months travel from Berlin to the Cape of Good Hope. I took a holiday semester during my engineering study and started in September 1993. My journey lead me through France, Spain, crossing the Mediterranean sea between Gibraltar and Ceuta. After visiting Morocco, Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Botswana I finally reached South Africa. Again this was an amazing journey and the Enfield - despite some repairs - a loyal company on asphalt as well as on mud or desert roads. Unfortunately there was no money left to ship her back home so I sold my Bullet after 4 years and nearly 80000 km in Pretoria, the capital of South Africa. Maybe shes still on the road.
1993-1994 Africa

Those travels belong to the most interesting times of my life, always connected to India and the Enfield."
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_4_Fortune View Post
One of my colleagues (a German national) has done an extensive touring on an Enfield few years ago.
WOW!!! Thanks for sharing. This is simply out of the world.

On a bike I once owned, cried and got rid of. This guy has done the unbelievable for me.

Does he have a travelogue somewhere. Those pictures are just BRILLIANT.

In 1991, man no words.

Please ask Mr Thor Opl to join in on here. It would be great.

Last edited by Spitfire : 27th January 2011 at 13:56.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Wow that is one amazing trip that man did on the bullet. never knew you can ride through cities and countries without a problem.
How did this guy manage to cross borders with the bike without any issue.
Please enlighten me, is it a possibility to just ride your bike through different country borders without any problem.
I bet it was illegally bought in Madurai. How did he manage to get one without a residence proof and manage to ride all around the country with no one to question.

Well its possible only in India.
Pick any country which is poorer than India and may be they will bend their rules for us.
Happy touring.

Yeah the best option is to buy a bike in whichever country you are planning to go, use it there, and then sell it before you leave.
Transporting a bike across borders is expensive.

If you still want to know a good problem free bike from India which can manage a different country... Then my answer will be NONE. :-)
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 17:13   #7
BHPian

@spitfire and visaster,
May be 20 years ago the rules weren't so stringent as it is now and one could cross the borders with less paper work and with Vitamin M in dollars or of that particular country.
I think now doing such a trip would involve too much complicated process and paper works.
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Well i understand what most of you guys are saying. My initial option was renting out there. But there are problems with renting. 1) If i rent a bike in one country i cannot cross over to the next. As the bike wont be in my name and inter country relations are not great in south america especially with laws. Also deposits are crazy. 2) rental cost for a Kenton bike (some cheap japanese make of 150cc for 3 months works out to about just near 4000 dollars. These are from known renters that market themselves on the web. The unknown ones are not my cup of tea. The bike itself costs around 1200 dollars brand new. 3) it is impossible for me to buy a bike in my name. If i do it would be even more of a hassle paying bribes at every border. 4) To buy a bike in america again i need to be a resident or have some paper trail to register it in my name as thats the main agenda. Bike and licence name should be one. 5) I have had chats (as in web) with a few travellers and most of them take their bikes to chile or peru pay for a temporary import permit which lasts 6 months and the permit is accepted at all borders. I have to see which comes cheaper as the hassle is almost minimal or non existent as the bike will have all the documentation. such as International insurance , RC book, permit. A Carnet de passage is not necessary for travel in any south american country. I am well versed with the bullet. I will take spares and parts but i have taken my bike over 20,000 kms which includes, indias toughest terrain and the only problem i encountered was my chain breaking a link. I am actually doing a trip in June from Delhi to Leh and then nepal on the way back on the bullet. So i am aware of how a bullet will respond. to harsh or absolutely crazy terrain. Saying that if i do take a bullet i will purchase a new one do around 2000 kms before i take it to a different country. I dont love all Enfields just the one i have had and thats the one i wish to keep for a long long time.

Last edited by ronaldfurtado : 27th January 2011 at 21:48.
ronaldfurtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 17:14   #9
BHPian

Rent a Motorcycle in Chile. Rental of a motorcycle in Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, South America, Patagonia. Renting motorbikes is the way to adventure and tour along Dakar Rally, Desert, Antofagasta, Calama.

I believe it will be better if you tour the SA with these guys.

I am almost sure that you will not find any Bullet spares in any of the Latin American countries. It is not practical to carry spares with the luggage restriction these days in an airplane.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote