Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th February 2011, 16:14   #16

Default Re: Rear Disk Brake on Bullet Electra UCE..!!!

DL650 comes with standard rear disc, so dont you think it is more of the driver error in your case Haroon?

Rollin' Thunda, yes, will do a lot of research and opinion polls before i decide, main reason i am posting in tbhp

Abhi
Abhi2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 16:15   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Locking up rear wheel is very dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Few years back on a group ride I have seen first hand when the rider in front of me in a panic situation suddenly applied only the rear brake and I saw the bike, a DL650 rapidly fishtailing from side to side and then went down totaling the bike and injuring the rider (when I picked up the bike, he had neither done gear braking as the bike was still in 6th gear). Thank god, my bavarian baby's brembo brakes, ABS and applying both brakes together avoided me running over him and I managed to safely stop my bike away. So locking up the rear wheel could have disasterous results.

Not to frighten you, but this is how that bike looked after the crash.
This is indeed very unfortunate but I don't think that only disk brakes are the culprit and as you have said that the bike was still in 6th gear, this might be one of the reasons...BTW has anyone seen the ABS device that is available for bikes and cars in Mumbai. the factory is in Mulund, I guess and this can be retrofitted to almost all bikes and cars which are not having ABS.. The cost for bike for single brake is around 1500 bucks..

Check the below link..
Saferide ABS

Regards,
Rahul K
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 16:47   #18
BHPian

Guys,

Just happened to google for ABS after posting my previous reply and found something on wikipedia..

Quote:
In 1958, a Royal Enfield Super Meteor motorcycle was used by the Road Research Laboratory to test the Maxaret anti-lock brake. The experiments demonstrated that anti-lock brakes can be of great value to motorcycles, for which skidding is involved in a high proportion of accidents. Stopping distances were reduced in most of the tests compared with locked wheel braking, particularly on slippery surfaces, in which the improvement could be as much as 30 percent. Enfield's technical director at the time, Tony Wilson-Jones, saw little future in the system, however, and it was not put into production by the company.
Regards,

Rahul K
Old 17th February 2011, 20:00   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Locking up rear wheel is very dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
BTW has anyone seen the ABS device that is available for bikes and cars in Mumbai. the factory is in Mulund, I guess and this can be retrofitted to almost all bikes and cars which are not having ABS.. The cost for bike for single brake is around 1500 bucks..

Check the below link..
Saferide ABS

Regards,
Rahul K
I have it on my TBTS. It helps, but is not a true ABS. It just moderates the braking on disc brakes, so that going from 0 to 100% braking occurs over a greater movement of the brake lever. Unlike a true ABS, it does NOT release the brake when a skid occurs. You can skid and fall with this device (I have ).
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 20:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi2902 View Post
DL650 comes with standard rear disc, so dont you think it is more of the driver error in your case Haroon?
Abhi
Yes Abhi, I am referring to locking up of rear wheel as a result of rider error. My point is not about a rear disc brake on a RE being good or bad, but the necessity to use both brakes simultaneously with more dependence on the front brake.

Quote:
This is indeed very unfortunate but I don't think that only disk brakes are the culprit and as you have said that the bike was still in 6th gear, this might be one of the reasons...BTW has anyone seen the ABS device that is available for bikes and cars in Mumbai. the factory is in Mulund, I guess and this can be retrofitted to almost all bikes and cars which are not having ABS.. The cost for bike for single brake is around 1500 bucks..

Check the below link..
Saferide ABS

Regards,
Rahul K
Been using ABS equipped bikes since 1999 and ABS is a whole different ball game. With ABS, gear braking is not essential (atleast upto 100kph in my own personal experience-thanks to a dog on a wet road). You can hit both the brakes hard on a wet road and the bike will come to a complete halt without any skidding or fishtailing.

As for the Rs 1500 'ABS', I havent seen it, but heard a lot about it. The video shown on their website is taken straight out of YouTube shot by Honda for their Hornet bike. The link is here.

On the genuine ABS technology I have seen on bikes & cars, its just not possible to have it all for Rs. 1500. The ABS system in my bike uses almost 3-4 times more brake fluid as there is a separate pump and lots of piping to/from it. The pump sucks more power from the battery as well. Also 2 separate sensors judging wheel speed etc connected to a dedicated computer that automatically sends signals to the amount of braking power & braking modulation the system does. BTW, the ABS system holds & releases 15 times in one second (So if the guy selling for Rs. 1500 can demonstrate to you on a wet road by taking the bike to a speed of 100kph and suddenly jam both brakes & you still see him & bike in one piece- Thats ABS and you can buy it!!). I would call that a simple brake modulator and not ABS.

Last edited by Haroon : 17th February 2011 at 20:57.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 20:57   #21
BHPian

Regarding Starting issue, try kicking (not hard kicking) 2-3 times with ignition key in off position, after that turn it on and start. It should go well if nothing major is wrong.

Regarding issue while idling at signals, just make sure one pipe on the top of carburetor is attached with it. In case if it's not, just connect it, this will fix the issue. Also, in case while starting if back-kicking happens at that time the above mentioned pipe will come out, just make sure that it's in proper place.

Since I don't know what that pipe is called, I have wrote like that, let me know if that has any specific name.

Quote:
Also for quite some days, I am facing starting problems. Earlier, it used to start with just a single gentle kick thumping slowly to life. But nowadays, I am required to kick it at least a dozen times and also increase some throttle to bring it to life. This has started happening after I had a fuel at a pump where I guess the petrol was not clean. Also around 2 months back, it had a bad return kick where the Carburettor disloged from the rubber fitting on both the sides, just enough to hold the carburettor in place till I got is fixed. Also nowadays, it just switches off when idling at signals..this happens even when the engine is sufficiently hot. Is this due to poor setting of carburettor or something ?
Request all you GURU's to guide me get my Bullet to original condition. Hearty apologies for the second query under a different heading..

Regards,
Rahul K
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 23:49   #22
BHPian

Thanks Pradipk,

The starting problem is solved now as I had taken my Bullet to an expert mechanic, who is unfortunately not a authorized Service Provider, but has lots of knowledge with the bulls. As per him, the carburettor settings were wrong and the idling was low which should be around 1500 as per RE standards. Although it is not @ 1500, the idling is still somewhere near 1K and sufficient to keep the bike idling at signals and in neutrals.

Secondly, he opened the carb's bottom portion and showed me some metal & color particles which are supposed to be from the inside of the tank. Also the petrol tank opening is bent at the mouth and he suggested me to visit the dealer and get the whole tank replaced.

Even I am not aware of the pipe's name but it seems to be there for releasing the compressed air / gases

Regards,
Rahul K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Regarding Starting issue, try kicking (not hard kicking) 2-3 times with ignition key in off position, after that turn it on and start. It should go well if nothing major is wrong.

Regarding issue while idling at signals, just make sure one pipe on the top of carburetor is attached with it. In case if it's not, just connect it, this will fix the issue. Also, in case while starting if back-kicking happens at that time the above mentioned pipe will come out, just make sure that it's in proper place.

Since I don't know what that pipe is called, I have wrote like that, let me know if that has any specific name.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Hello- MY2BITS-

I ride a Harley Sportster and my Classic 350's brakes are just as good as any autorickshaws- the braking performance can be increased.
If you read, practice and follow Keith Codes' book 'A Twist of the Wrist' you will appreciate bigger and better brakes in the front tire first.
As you brake over 70-80% of the bikes load goes onto the front tire and the balance on the rear. Therefore the bias towards bigger dia discs in the front.
The rear brake is modulated to keep the rear in line and prevent it from swinging out of the riding line.
By design the discs will give you better quality braking, better response than the drum set up, so even if you think its just 10-20% of your weight being controlled, its being done much better, and therefore giving you better confidence when you have hit the brakes.
Now, on newer generation bikes all over the world, it is said that its easier to replace brake pads and shoes rather than engine transmissions, and one of the biggest headaches when riding the Harley is to undo the mental downshifting in turns- as you are to hit the brakes, lower your speed, and then shift into an appropriate gear and rocket off ... meaning, not using the 5th-to-3rd before the turn or while going into the turn- rather, 5th-brake-3rd-accelerator.
Now, if the hub+disc mounting for the rear is proper (which it should be) and the anchoring of the caliper is done properly too- then its a worthwhile change for the better.
I have said enough on this rear- I will upgrade if available- but there will be some issue with the new TB having a slightly oval swing arm to accommodate the rear disc- sigh.
I would also concentrate on getting a better quality CI Disc, and good calipers as an after market upgrade to the front. The RE fronts suffer from terrible heat induced fade.
I ride a better bike half the time, and I wish for somethings on the Bullet to be better- the brakes are one of them.

There is no harm in discussing or asking advice on the forum for any step towards that...

Whoever saw that RE 'rear disc kit'on the net- didnt post the URL- makes me wonder...
Hammer & Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote