Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

After not using the bike for more than 6 years, finally decided to restore it to it's original glory. Everything had to be changed since it was rusted and torn apart in the garage. Here are some updates. One more day to go for the delivery.
Attached Images
        
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,674
Thanked: 740 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

@Naveen could you please provide details on the parts sourced new, their price and from where sourced? Are all these genuine Yamaha spare parts? This will be helpful for people like me who are planning for RX restoration soon. Where did you get this done in Cochin?

EDIT- Have you changed the sprocket size?

Thanks!

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th February 2011 at 12:39. Reason: see edit
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Naveen could you please provide details on the parts sourced new, their price and from where sourced? Are all these genuine Yamaha spare parts? This will be helpful for people like me who are planning for RX restoration soon. Where did you get this done in Cochin?

EDIT- Have you changed the sprocket size?

Thanks!

Spike
Spike,

I shall provide all the details once I get the bill from the workshop. Most of them are genuine Yamaha parts while others were retouched to bring it back to it's original shape.

Spike, the restoration is currently taking place in Blore since I have my car modded from there too. Will be driving to blore on monday for some more mods to my car. Will get detailed pics of the 135 and the price details in a couple of days.

Cheers.!
Naveen
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 14:45   #4
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 425
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Wow naveen! I am planning restoration for my '98 RX135 4 speed as well. In addition to cosmetic changes, also looking to get it bored. Looking forward to a lot of useful info from this thread.

Last edited by benzinblut : 12th February 2011 at 14:48.
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 20:30   #5
BHPian
 
georgev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KL-05
Posts: 233
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

looks great naveen, check for rust in the tank which is sielent killer of the engine, use a OE petrol filter
georgev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 21:01   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Wow naveen! I am planning restoration for my '98 RX135 4 speed as well. In addition to cosmetic changes, also looking to get it bored. Looking forward to a lot of useful info from this thread.
While at it, get it converted to 5-Speed. It's a simple mod. Also try a get a head of the RXZ/RX135 5-Speed so that you get the 14 BHP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
After not using the bike for more than 6 years, finally decided to restore it to it's original glory. Everything had to be changed since it was rusted and torn apart in the garage. Here are some updates. One more day to go for the delivery.
Why did you change the rear wheel. The stock one with a 3.00 tyre looks the best.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Remove the Yezdi head lamp as well kills the RX looks, use additional lamp if OE lamp feels dim.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 12:02   #8
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 425
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
While at it, get it converted to 5-Speed. It's a simple mod. Also try a get a head of the RXZ/RX135 5-Speed so that you get the 14 BHP.
Yes. Good. Ill search the forum for more info on this. Can you help me out with some links please?
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:11   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Here are the final pics. I shall share the spare parts details and price soon. Comments plz
Attached Images
                              
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:14   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Pics Contd from previous post
Attached Images
  
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:56   #11
BHPian
 
josejoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 635
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Great! Superb! I like it.

Please change the head-lamp dome to the original type as well as the rear tire to 18 inch rim and get the original handle bars.

Do post the price list of spare parts when you get time.

BTW, what are the mods for the Swift?

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 16:05   #12
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 425
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Amazing. Nice detailing. Looks like a you took a lot of pain in restoring it.

A few things are different from stock, but they are going well in my opinion. Looking forward to your price breakup now.

EDIT: The main reason for my restoration would be to bring back the firing sound. I did an engine overhaul sometime back and have lost that Rx note. I think the 135's dont sound as sharp as the 100's in any case, but my current firing is no where close. Atleast on the lower revs the yamaha sound is noticeable, but on higher revs it sounds like suzukis. Ill start a different thread all togegher when I start my restoration.

Last edited by benzinblut : 14th February 2011 at 16:13. Reason: See EDIT
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 18:09   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Great! Superb! I like it.

Please change the head-lamp dome to the original type as well as the rear tire to 18 inch rim and get the original handle bars.

Do post the price list of spare parts when you get time.

BTW, what are the mods for the Swift?

Thanks,
Jose.
I think the handle bars will be changed in the future. Wanted something different with the dome, so went with these.

Yes, will update the price soon.

As for the swift, I will install the side skirts and front sunfilms. Will update that thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Amazing. Nice detailing. Looks like a you took a lot of pain in restoring it.

A few things are different from stock, but they are going well in my opinion. Looking forward to your price breakup now.

EDIT: The main reason for my restoration would be to bring back the firing sound. I did an engine overhaul sometime back and have lost that Rx note. I think the 135's dont sound as sharp as the 100's in any case, but my current firing is no where close. Atleast on the lower revs the yamaha sound is noticeable, but on higher revs it sounds like suzukis. Ill start a different thread all togegher when I start my restoration.
Thanks dude. Yes, did invest some time into this.
Yes, even I do have the problem with the sound. Very hard to bring it close to 100. But satisfied with the current sound. Although not loud, it's got that cracking sound that 100's are famous for.
Will update the thread soon.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 18:22   #14
BHPian
 
jaguar.runs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Naveen, tastefully done mods and good restoration. You have kept the basic look of the RX same and have done only slight mods which is okay. This was common for the RX series during it's reign.

The paint and powder coat job is amazing. This is my dream bike and I am planning to get one when I settle back in Kerala. Hope to do he purchasing soon as the prices are already going up.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 14th February 2011 at 18:26.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 18:40   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,733
Thanked: 3,065 Times
Default Re: Restoring '98 model Yamaha Rx 135 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Naveen, tastefully done mods and good restoration. You have kept the basic look of the RX same and have done only slight mods which is okay. This was common for the RX series during it's reign.

The paint and powder coat job is amazing. This is my dream bike and I am planning to get one when I settle back in Kerala. Hope to do he purchasing soon as the prices are already going up.
Thanks a lot. Yes, decided to go for the original look while modding some of the parts. Will update the price of these too.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In search of the Legendary Swamp Tiger - Sundarbans Tiger Reserve Subrat Seet Travelogues 21 27th June 2015 22:47
First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed PowerPort Motorbikes 11 8th February 2013 14:21
Season 2011-2012 : Independent Tiger monitoring at Pench & Tadoba Tiger reserves abheekg Travelogues 30 3rd May 2012 08:55
Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2 v&v Travelogues 49 11th April 2011 14:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks