Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st March 2011, 19:18   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriag

In the amazing console, I found only the tacho to be an eyesore
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriag

Hey AlphaKilo

Sorry for posting a little late, but I started looking for a replacement for current bike just recently. So I came across your post and its lovely!

I currently ride Hero Honda Ambition 135 with around 65,000 on the odo. Its a lovely bike and Hero Honda bikes "usually" last really long.

Now regarding Suzuki GS150R. Its a damn good looking bike with a very healthy heart. First one to have 6 speed box. It has an excellent road presence. Love those alloys too. I have few queries:

1) "Kitna deti hey"? Sorry for the cliche, but you know its a 2 wheeler, so just wanted to know. I don't ask the same question to any car owners, because I think its senseless.

2) How high is the pillion rider seating position? Or in other words, how difficult or simple it is to climb on the pillion position?

3) How are the spares' costs?

4) What is final OTR you got?

5) What are the warranties/free bees offered?

I hope I have not bombarded too much, but I am too much interested in this bike. "Love at first sight- Sequel" may be...
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey AlphaKilo

Sorry for posting a little late, but I started looking for a replacement for current bike just recently. So I came across your post and its lovely!

I currently ride Hero Honda Ambition 135 with around 65,000 on the odo. Its a lovely bike and Hero Honda bikes "usually" last really long.

Now regarding Suzuki GS150R. Its a damn good looking bike with a very healthy heart. First one to have 6 speed box. It has an excellent road presence. Love those alloys too. I have few queries:

1) "Kitna deti hey"? Sorry for the cliche, but you know its a 2 wheeler, so just wanted to know. I don't ask the same question to any car owners, because I think its senseless.

I use Shell Super unleaded - I get flat 56, IOL/BPCL - 50 - 53. Only thing in Shell is you get refinement and engine response is pretty smooth or probably I feel so.

2) How high is the pillion rider seating position? Or in other words, how difficult or simple it is to climb on the pillion position?

Its little high indeed. People shorter than 5.5" will have difficulty in climbing. But on the flip side, you are guaranteed with a Merc like ride quality. Even for my friends(guys), at times I have to tilt the bike for them to climb the pillion seat.

3) How are the spares' costs?

Suzuki = Costly. But dont worry so far she did not cost me a penny. You know, she is a good homemaker. She is quite calculative in her expenses.

4) What is final OTR you got?

69K - chennai

5) What are the warranties/free bees offered?

Free Insurance, saree guard, tank cover, hand grip, bike full cover

I hope I have not bombarded too much, but I am too much interested in this bike. "Love at first sight- Sequel" may be...
My advice would be not to go by these reviews, rather, go for a test drive. Suzuki has made sure that its service guys are well trained in treating customers. So they would be more than happy to help you out with your questions(anymore which in case I may not be able to answer) amd during your TD. Do TD and post your experience. All the best.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
+1. Not sure if its the pics that is doing this or what. But the tacho is an eyesore so are the SEL and ADJ buttons on the console. Everything else about the digital display is
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
+1. Not sure if its the pics that is doing this or what. But the tacho is an eyesore so are the SEL and ADJ buttons on the console. Everything else about the digital display is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
My advice would be not to go by these reviews, rather, go for a test drive. Suzuki has made sure that its service guys are well trained in treating customers. So they would be more than happy to help you out with your questions(anymore which in case I may not be able to answer) and during your TD. Do TD and post your experience. All the best.

@RDNA and Abhinav, Why is the tacho an eyesore? IMHO It's more of functional than looks. I would have loved to have a RTR style tacho, but this is more effective. Sure looks out of proportion, but serves the purpose, so not much of a complaint.

@Ajay
I did get a chance to compare Unicorn and my girl side by side. Found that Unicorn's pillion seat is higher than in the suzuki. Even my mom(who is the regular pillion rider) felt unicorn's seat was higher. I will put the pic soon.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 3rd March 2011 at 17:49.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:15   #36
BHPian

Update, As Ajay raised the question of pillion seat height, let me give you guys a visual example
Attached Thumbnails
Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-uni-vs-gs.jpg  

Old 6th March 2011, 08:21   #37
BHPian

A very striking feature of her:

she can adjust the height of her vision like the four wheelers do! I probably think the only/first indian bike to sport such a feature.

This is possible by turning a screw either clockwise for higher or anti-clockwise for lower beam focus. I was wondering this right from day 1, as the reflector assembly was hanging alone and had huge play between the doom assembly and the reflector. I have seen this in cars which have beam adjustment(which is mandatory now), so I had searched for it and finally found it in my user manual. will post the pic of the user manual instruction soon.

I tried it yesterday and its wonderful and pretty simple too. It has indeed lot of play. The reflector can be adjusted for about 3-4 degree higher or lower.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:42   #38
BHPian

As promised here goes the pic of the beam focus adjustment:

A screwdriver can access the zone from below the headlight doom assembly. Its equipped with teeth in which any normal star screwdriver fits in. Rotating it clockwise makes the reflector assy move up and anti-clockwise provides the opposite result.
Attached Thumbnails
Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-headlight-beam-adjustment.jpg  

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th March 2011 at 10:44.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot AplhaKilo. It clears one hurdle towards finalizing on this bike. Looking at the technology this bike has to offer, it sure sounds like a winner to me already.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks a lot AplhaKilo. It clears one hurdle towards finalizing on this bike. Looking at the technology this bike has to offer, it sure sounds like a winner to me already.

Anytime mate! pleasure is mine. Afterall i would be happy to see another happy and satisfied husband. There are speculations and rumours that her heels(brakes-rear) are very weak, but trust me no bike has good brakes. I am very much satisfied with the brakes and I feel its better than my previous Bajaj where in I had to change the shoes at every 8k kms. It all depends on our technique of braking. But do go for a test ride and share your thoughts.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th March 2011 at 11:01.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi AlphaKilo,

I'm on the look out for a commuter bike, and TDed the Unicorn and GS150R a few weeks back. Overall, I liked the latter more than the Unicorn; however, the dealer told me that a new version of this bike [mostly cosmetic changes] is on the cards in a couple of months, hence Suzuki have reduced production of the current version. Even if I do book it now, it'll take more than a month for delivery [no bikes available in stock]. I got this same answer from all the 3 dealers that I visited in Pune.

Do you have any idea if this is true, or is Suzuki just focusing more on the SlingShot instead?

EDIT: I also sent this question via an email to the id given on the Suzuki India website, but haven't heard from them yet.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th May 2011 at 13:37.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi AlphaKilo,

I'm on the look out for a commuter bike, and TDed the Unicorn and GS150R a few weeks back. Overall, I liked the latter more than the Unicorn; however, the dealer told me that a new version of this bike [mostly cosmetic changes] is on the cards in a couple of months, hence Suzuki have reduced production of the current version. Even if I do book it now, it'll take more than a month for delivery [no bikes available in stock]. I got this same answer from all the 3 dealers that I visited in Pune.

Do you have any idea if this is true, or is Suzuki just focusing more on the SlingShot instead?

EDIT: I also sent this question via an email to the id given on the Suzuki India website, but haven't heard from them yet.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Mate,

First of all, my hearty wishes for your new purchase. I too heard the same rumours that a new version of GS is on the cards and that a member in another forum has seen it. But not sure how true it is. But then if you can wait, I would advice you to wait for a month or two, before you decide upon anything. But as far as my knowledge goes, Suzuki is planning to bring in their 250cc Baby king direct in competition to Ninja and CBR250. But even I would love to see a GS with technical changes or atleast a rear disk. And if you had heard if from the dealer, it would be wise to wait and watch what the new bike is all about.

All the best!
Old 30th March 2012, 16:00   #43
BHPian

Let me revive this thread for you Alphakilo. i was actually looking for my 4th bike
( i cant say girlfriend like you since im already married :P). My priorities were set.
Needed a bike that was "roomy" and comfortable for 2 people to traverse long distances. A used pulsar 220 came to my mind first up. Saw a lot of bikes. Some good but very pricey while other in a sad state. Hunted for quite a while till my impatience go the better of me and my wife.

Headed straight to the nearest Honda showroom to chk out the Unicorn and the Dazzler. After waiting for some ten minutes, someone finally attended to us. While the Unicorn was dismissed at first sight, the Honda guys did not even have a Dazzler for display. Not like i haven't seen the bike but still. Then there was the colour dilema. Only black available and about Rs. 1500 extra for the deluxe dual colour edition. The cocky attitude lame reasoning for not having a bike was enough to make us leave.

headed straight to the Suzuki showroom. Now i had ridden the gs befre but it was almost a year and a half back and i had no recollection of how the bike felt. Now the state at the Suzuki showroom wasn't much better but i was attended to promptly. Prices discussed we finally asked for a test ride. It was absolutely love at first ride for both of us. Very comfy seats, makkhan gearshift( thats a good thing since there are all 6 of them) and a very creamy power delivery. Im sure there will be other 150 cc commuters which will accelerate and handle better but i did not need acceleration or handling. Very good ride quality too compared to the stiffly sprung mono shocks of the dazzler. That settled it for us. Colour was a no brainer. Picked the white. Delivery tomorrow and the pics too.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 16:51   #44

I am quite inclined on the gs150r and cannot stand the Unicorn's looks! I have few or say a pile of questions. lol..

How good a purchase would it be in the first quarter of 2013? I live in Hyderabad and hardly see this model on the roads.

Does anybody here think that it would be an issue to service the vehicle at local mechanics? And any spare part issues 4 years down the line since I am planning to keep it for a longer time?

Nobody seems to have heard about this bike in my friend's circle and they keep repeating 'resale value'! How bad is the resale value?

I have zeroed in on the white colour and wonder what the folks here have to say about it.. I mean, would it look worn out and aged(ugly) in few years?

And last but not the least, the 'rust' question. Somehow, the word rust doesn't leave the GS alone on Google search! Has Suzuki worked on the rust issues and does anybody here know if the recent bikes continue to have the rust issues?

Some suggestions and inputs. :-) Thank you folks.
didgeridoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 23:12   #45
BHPian

Reviving this thread..
I bought a 20 month old GS150R (black) with 16000 km on the odo last week. Will use this thread to provide my observations.

Initial thoughts:
1. The engine is butter smooth
2. 6 forward gears - Bike even pulls from 25kmph in 4th gear without stalling. Good midrange torque.
3. There are few items that warrants a trip to service center. WIll update as I get it done
4. I am 6'2" tall and the seat is a pain. I plan to put some more cushion and reduce the dip to suit my height.
4. The owners manual says serving interval as 50 days or 2000km. Can't believe on such small interval.
5. Running on stock headlamp bulb now. PLanning to upgrade the bulb to Philips premium. Headlamps are alternator driven.
6. Want to fit a ladie's handle, but not able to find a location, hopefully the service center people can fit one.
arjithin is online now   Reply With Quote