Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:07   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't know what these vibrations are as I have not ridden a 500 with just 1000km on the odometer. What I can tell you is give the bike another 2000km on the odometer and then take it slowly beyond 70kmph. Do not change the oil. Just check levels and do the next oil change once the bike shows 4000km on the odometer. You did not mention if the oil filter was changed when you got the first oil change done. Not that it will reduce any vibration but still.

If all this running in does not work, there is some serious component mismatch in the engine that is causing the vibration.

You should check if this vibration exists if you rev the engine freely when in neutral. There is no load on the engine when you do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Console yourself Siva sir,

I would suggest you to check the chassis and engine mount bolts and clamps once again to make sure nothing gets loosened on the run. It might be a weird suggestion but this check made me to sort out a minor vibration in my bull.

Since you had already done up everything from engine perspective, do also get the oil filter and carb cleaned to make sure no dust stagnates and stops the free flow of fuel or oil.

In other case start the engine and close the exhaust mouth with something. Then revive it hard while on the stand/neutral to check if there is any vibration from the engine mount.
Oil filter and oil changed twise after I bought this bull. All the bolts have been rechecked. Diffidently not the vibration from mounts.

As I told you till 70kmph the bike runs like smooth cake, only when revving up it frustrates me like anything. I really can't express the way I'm disappointed on this deal of this bike.

I regret my decision of taking this bike, lost a lots of money(over 1.1L at this point) and now time also getting wasted. Looking for any kind of solution to solve this issue.

May be I will also be talking to the ex-owner of this bullet from chennai(whos address is printed on this RC book to see if he has observed anything previuosly) to get some additional information about the services/mechanic he visited and changes he has done.

Last edited by trammway : 23rd March 2011 at 15:20.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:26   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Do you feel vibrations in the handle or the whole of the chassis vibrate?

What's the story with the head, is it from 535 if not then and you have the stock 500 head. Is it running OEM valves/ springs?

As much as I have learned from my C5, I can think of very few things to cause such high vibrations.

I know you have got new parts but sometimes even new parts can be faulty or develop problems.


1. 3x crank shaft bearing- check for play at booth ends of the shaft by removing the side covers and move the shaft up/down. Remove the head/block and rotate the crank- this way any problems associated with it will show it's ugly face.

2. Big end bearing not set right.

3. Crank weights either not from 500 or not balanced right when assembling the crank after a new big-end.

4. It may sound dumb but trust me this little thing can cause vibrations on unimaginable scale. It's the engine support bar which supports the engine head to the chassis/tank. Check it out if this is loose or broken.
5. check primary chain (not too tight or loose), clutch assembly.

Usually push rod gets damaged either due to improper/ too tight clearance or valve/spring issue.

If it's the head then you should feel rattling and not much vibrations.

I know exactly how you feel but there is no easy way out unless you can sell it off to a unsuspecting buyer even if you have to bear a small loss.

Or be patient, forget everything for a week and pretend as if you don't own a Bullet then start fresh after a break when your mind is fresh. Getting frustrated is no option for likes of you and me. I am just saying from your experience.

Another option is to find a genius mechanic with decades of experience on bulls. This kind of guy will diagnose the problem very easily.

Last edited by Randhawa : 23rd March 2011 at 16:29.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:37   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Do you feel vibrations in the handle or the whole of the chassis vibrate?

What's the story with the head, is it from 535 if not then and you have the stock 500 head. Is it running OEM valves/ springs?

As much as I have learned from my C5, I can think of very few things to cause such high vibrations.

I know you have got new parts but sometimes even new parts can be faulty or develop problems.


1. 3x crank shaft bearing- check for play at booth ends of the shaft by removing the side covers and move the shaft up/down. Remove the head/block and rotate the crank- this way any problems associated with it will show it's ugly face.

2. Big end bearing not set right.

3. Crank weights either not from 500 or not balanced right when assembling the crank after a new big-end.

4. It may sound dumb but trust me this little thing can cause vibrations on unimaginable scale. It's the engine support bar which supports the engine head to the chassis/tank. Check it out if this is loose or broken.
5. check primary chain (not too tight or loose), clutch assembly.

Usually push rod gets damaged either due to improper/ too tight clearance or valve/spring issue.

If it's the head then you should feel rattling and not much vibrations.

I know exactly how you feel but there is no easy way out unless you can sell it off to a unsuspecting buyer even if you have to bear a small loss.

Or be patient, forget everything for a week and pretend as if you don't own a Bullet then start fresh after a break when your mind is fresh. Getting frustrated is no option for likes of you and me. I am just saying from your experience.

Another option is to find a genius mechanic with decades of experience on bulls. This kind of guy will diagnose the problem very easily.
As per the shop owner who supplied the rest of the parts, the head looked like RE535. However some of the parts manual do claim that the RE535 and RE500 shares the same head.

The valve and springs were replaced by Powertwin, but it was checked during last rebuild in the lathe.

The bearings/parts/weights are some thing which the lathe and parts dealer checked. The seating and play were checked by Mechanic and looked fine.

I agree with you about the bar that connects engine head with chassis/tank, but that is fitted perfectly tight. Primary chain and Clutch are the only things I didn't change

I will have the head serviced once again to make sure I didn't leave the valve and springs issue open. Now what I need is a Genius mechanic who can give FAIR and Unbiased information about this RE500.

Last edited by trammway : 23rd March 2011 at 22:39.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 10:59   #94
BHPian
 
bradhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Agra
Posts: 288
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Such mechanics exist only in dreams.....! Every mechanic will read the problem according to his past experience, which will differ from person to person.
In my opinion, you must replace all crucial components, even if it warrants a complete rebuild of the engine.
Most important of all please get the balance of the crank verified at least by two specialists before plonking it back into the engine.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:55   #95
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I will have the head serviced once again to make sure I didn't leave the valve and springs issue open. Now what I need is a Genius mechanic who can give FAIR and Unbiased information about this RE500.
Hi Sir,
Not sure if you already know about this person, but do check out mechanic Shankar in Thiruvanmiyur.

Cheers
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 00:39   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi Sir,
Not sure if you already know about this person, but do check out mechanic Shankar in Thiruvanmiyur.

Cheers
You are right, I was also referred by many of my friends to Shankar. But when I visited his garage he refused to even see the bike saying he cannot handle the load as excessive work is pending with him. Hence didn't even see bike.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 21:30   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Hi, friends, I am at present restoring a 89 bullet, I will be starting painting on it ,it is held up due to Rains in mumbai.
Today I got Tank monogrammes and GOLDEN WATER STICKER SET .
It has stickers for rear m/guard,toolboxes,petrol tank,etc .
Can someone pls give me instructions how to fix these water sickers, STEP BY STEP pls.Regards..........
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 20:18   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,713 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
You are right, I was also referred by many of my friends to Shankar. But when I visited his garage he refused to even see the bike saying he cannot handle the load as excessive work is pending with him. Hence didn't even see bike.
Trammway,

I taking a guess that you have the 500 still with you and bumping an inactive thread after 3.5 years.

What was the reason for the vibrations and was it fixed .
How is the bike doing now, if you still have it.

The thread was active before I joined Tbhp and I had given some inputs too through a member .
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 20:44   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Trammway,
I taking a guess that you have the 500 still with you and bumping an inactive thread after 3.5 years.

What was the reason for the vibrations and was it fixed .
How is the bike doing now, if you still have it.
The vibrations never stopped and I hardly rode the motorcycle. As of now I let the bike to rot as much investment pumped without any result, kind of disappointed and also not ready to sell it off.

Apparently yesterday I was dusting off the bike and found the rubber hoses from/to carburetor has been worn out and also battery was dead. In a hope to fix the bike again, I called another mechanic here locally this time to check all the mounting bushes of the engine are in good condition.

The gears in the bullet also very rough and not shifting easily hence the mechanic told me that he will check all the issues before suggesting me to invest more or not

I have only one suspect left out that is the head that some one said 535s and some said it is 500s. So I only need to change the head to 500s to see if that solves. Since it is also trial and error, I don't want to buy a head for the R&D and looking for some loaner for one trial and if it work i will go ahead purchasing one. Unfortunately, the CI 500s are rare and no head is in avail hence still disappointing.

The purchase is a sure flop and busted my bullet dream, My investment or pleasure never again on a Royal Enfield.

Last edited by trammway : 11th September 2014 at 20:46.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 21:09   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,713 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
The vibrations never stopped and I hardly rode the motorcycle. As of now I let the bike to rot as much investment pumped without any result, kind of disappointed and also not ready to sell it off.


The purchase is a sure flop and busted my bullet dream, My investment or pleasure never again on a Royal Enfield.
It was a bad purchase is what I would say.

The reason I say that is because there are plenty of CI500 owners who are happy with their purchase whether first or second hand.

I would not suggest pumping in more money on it now because prices of parts have increased in last 3-4 years and you can't be sure if the bike would be fine after that.

I have a 96' 500 (it is there in a photo 2 pages back) which I picked up in almost scrap state. I ran it in that state for a year and almost 9k kms till it seized up partially and spent a bomb and re-building the whole bike including new barrel and piston. But, I went the Authorized Center way and got the complete job done at one . The result being that I had peace of mind since all parts were original and re-built by a RE trained mechanic.
Tax and VAT and what not came up to quite a bit for me, but in return the bike was showroom condition.
I still have it with me and in the process of giving it away. It has run 40k kms with only the main bearing and rings replaced after the re-build.

I hope you get a good price even if you plan to sell it off.
Thanks for the update.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 23:19   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 332
Thanked: 289 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I have only one suspect left out that is the head that some one said 535s and some said it is 500s. So I only need to change the head to 500s to see if that solves.The purchase is a sure flop and busted my bullet dream, My investment or pleasure never again on a Royal Enfield.
Well, I hope that the guy who sold you the bike stepped up and accepted some blame!

TO answer your doubt about the 535 vs. 500 head, I am very sure that there is no difference. Your bike's problem is elsewhere.

In Pune, the mechanics charge approx Rs.4,000 as labour for opening and assembling the engine. I think that this is what needs to be done. After opening the engine at a good workshop, you will know what the problem is.

But I admire you for not tryin to sell it and pass on your problems to the next guy!

Anyway, I also have a 500 C.I. and the engine is in the process of rebuilding right now.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 23:20   #102
r.K
BHPian
 
r.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
The purchase is a sure flop and busted my bullet dream, My investment or pleasure never again on a Royal Enfield.
Trammway. Don't lose hope machi. Take it to Shankar. He will refuse but pester him. He'll give in. He and his son are very sincere in their work and they know their stuff. If he keeps refusing, tell that Karthik from Kottivakkam, Shailendra from mylapore referred u to him. If anyone can help you with it, it is him 'cause he prefers to ready bullets in stock form. No modifications.

I have a '94 CI 350. I'm looking to sell it and get a CI500. 350 is great for city use, but just doesn't cut it for long distance trips, especially with pillion. Do you have any contacts currently? Greatly appreciate your help. And lovely thread. Bullets teach their owners a LOT of patience.

Last edited by r.K : 11th April 2016 at 23:24. Reason: Grammar
r.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra" Majumdarda Motorbikes 497 21st November 2017 20:43
Royal Enfield - Troubleshooting and technical support thread crazy4s Motorbikes 127 19th October 2017 09:43
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500 arjithin Motorbikes 35 20th February 2016 20:26
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs grplr02 Motorbikes 128 11th June 2014 15:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks