Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th January 2006, 19:39   #1
BANNED

Question Need Help Choosing A Scooter!

I would like to know what automatic scooters are available in India (without gears). The budget is not the issue… Safety, styling, having adequate power and good a.s.s are the factors that matter. I would be obliged if you all could also indicate the price of the scooter you are all recommending if you can. Is there any scooter better than the century old Kinetic Honda out there? Are there any cool scooters in the Sunny segment?? Are there any new scooters headed our way in 2006?? Please do let me know... Thanks in advance!
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 20:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa/Dio is the best bet if you want reliability. The Dio is just an Activa with more radical styling and a plastic body.
There is the Kinetic Nova 135, which has more power, less quality and I dont know abou the service.
Or you could wait for the Italjet scooters to be la8unched by Kinetic, they may be worth the wait.
Then there is the TVS Scooty Pep(or pep+) which is a vehicle which is simply not worth 37000 in my opinion. Moreover, it is a bit girly, and you would look a bit silly on it.......
the Bajaj Wave is another option although I persoanlly would take the Hondas any day over it.
The Honda Dio comes in at 44000 bucks otr chennai, and the Nova price I think is very similar. Wave is 45000 I hear......

Mileage is less in the Nova, best in the Dio.

Since you mentioned the Sunny segment there is the Kine (not the kinetic honda) which is a 80cc two stroke runabout .

Or you could accompany me to the local kailankadai and Ill source you a Sunny just like mine, except a normal sunny (or scooty or scooty pep) will never keep up with mine......lol.....

Cheers,
Islero

Last edited by islero : 6th January 2006 at 20:57.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:05   #3
cnu
BHPian

Close your eyes and just pickup either Active or a Dio. Activa has got the traditional style while Dio has some modern styling. Activa costs around 40K on-road and Dio costs a couple of thousands more than Activa. Dont even consider Kinetic Nova. It just sucks.

Check out this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ter-wifey.html
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get the Honda Dio. Its really peppy and ver fun to drive. Its got the same Activa engine, but since the body is fibre it is lighter which also makes it faster. Its handling is also very good, doesn't scrape the road just in case u decide to hit the curve a bit hard
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:12   #5
BHPian

The Activa will be the way to go.
dogdiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:28   #6

i would definitely go for the dio or activa because they r fast and amazing quality
zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:40   #7
BHPian

go for the honda dio it has everything which you will want for in a scooter plus its fast and the best part is its whole body cost just 1100 bucks so if you get bored with a particular color you can change it
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

its either the dio or the activa.i would go in for the dio its got a totally different look and you dont see the same boring shape.its got an excellent peppy engine and the light body makes it easier to handle too.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 21:57   #9
BHPian

From the current crop, the Honda Activa or Dio are pretty much the only choices that I would consider.

If you want something snazzier, then the Italjet range of scooters that Kinetic is importing later this year deserve a good long look as well.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 22:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

If u need reliabilty , efficiency and everything similar just go for Honda without even a second thought...
Choose between Dio/ activa depending on your limits both share the same heart
As for the Nova its the fastest available scooter but no looks , quality etc.. Not a good buy considering when a Honda is up for grabs...
Cant comment on A.S.S of any as it depends from place to place...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

As everyone said go for Honda Activa/Dio

however if you are considering Dio & you are tall person you may find Dio's riding position bit awkward
better take test of both

and if you are buying it for some lady, then go for Pep+ it will be more practicle

Kinetic were going to bring out 50cc Velocifero but so far no news on it
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 01:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hero Honda (of CD100fame) has recently launched their first scooter. Should be just as good as the Honda twins.

Style wise, the Italjet is the best, but no idea when Kinetic is launching it.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 16:10   #13
BANNED

Thumbs up Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Then there is the TVS Scooty Pep(or pep+) which is a vehicle which is simply not worth 37000 in my opinion. Moreover, it is a bit girly, and you would look a bit silly on it.......
Cheers,
Islero
No, Islero, scooter is for a friend's daughter, da.

Thank you all very much... As per your recommendations they (my friend/ his daughter) are going to buy/ book a Honda Dio on Wednesday. Your suggestions add to confidence levels when buying/ recommending a type of vehicle one knows nothing about, thanks, Team.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 05:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

test drive the honda dio and our very own and very Indian kinetic Nova.

select the best on the basis of your test drive.

kinetic has surprisingly matched honda dio in all departments. I would buy Nova just because its Indian.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote