Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th February 2010, 11:55   #136
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Naveen,

Usually, your air screw should be turned out 2.5-3 full turns anti clockwise from a fully closed position. This is the ideal setting. If you want to richen it, you can turn it anticlockwise for one or two more turns maximum. Experiment within this boundary till you cure the popping. If you richen it further than that, you risk fouling your plug.

Cheers,

Jay
Dear Jay,
If you turn the pilot air screw anticlockwise, I thought the mixture will become leaner not richer. Also the ideal setting is specific to each machine state of tune which includes the spark plug gaps, cb gaps advance tappet clearances Jet sizes, carburettor float level etc. Normally following is the procedure for tuning the carburettor.
!. set the CB gaps, plug gaps tappet etc to company spec
2. Start the engine and warm up
3. Close the pilot air screw completely( you need to increase the idling to sustain the engine)
4. start opening the air screw CCW slowly till you can see the engine rpm increasing . that is the optimum seting.
5. Reduce the idling
Trust this helps
Regards
Suresh
Suresh Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 15:40   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear Jay,
If you turn the pilot air screw anticlockwise, I thought the mixture will become leaner not richer. Also the ideal setting is specific to each machine state of tune which includes the spark plug gaps, cb gaps advance tappet clearances Jet sizes, carburettor float level etc. Normally following is the procedure for tuning the carburettor.
!. set the CB gaps, plug gaps tappet etc to company spec
2. Start the engine and warm up
3. Close the pilot air screw completely( you need to increase the idling to sustain the engine)
4. start opening the air screw CCW slowly till you can see the engine rpm increasing . that is the optimum seting.
5. Reduce the idling
Trust this helps
Regards
Suresh
Suresh,

Anti-clockwise = Counter clockwise = rich.

Your manual mentions ccw which is the same as acw.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 23:21   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Suresh,

Anti-clockwise = Counter clockwise = rich.

Your manual mentions ccw which is the same as acw.

Cheers,

Jay
Dear Jay,
Iam aware that acw and ccw are the same. When you turn the pilot air screw CCW, You are taking the screw outwards (unscrewing). When the pilot air screw is unscrewed, it bleeds more air into the circuit and thereby makes the mixture leaner. Iam sure that you know that this is the finer control of the Stochiometric (A/F) ratio of the engine
Suresh
Old 14th February 2010, 09:08   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Jay,
Iam aware that acw and ccw are the same. When you turn the pilot air screw CCW, You are taking the screw outwards (unscrewing). When the pilot air screw is unscrewed, it bleeds more air into the circuit and thereby makes the mixture leaner. Iam sure that you know that this is the finer control of the Stochiometric (A/F) ratio of the engine
Suresh
@Suresh - On the BS29, the so called pilot air screw aka F/A adjustment screw meters fuel and not air. Turning the screw CCW meters more fuel through and vice-versa. Yes, on some carbs the F/A adj screw does meter air like you mention above, in which case what you say holds true.

On the same topic, does anybody know whether the F/A screw on the VM28 meters fuel or is it air?
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 22:09   #140
BHPian

[quote=Beast_of_Burden;1731500]@Suresh - On the BS29, the so called pilot air screw aka F/A adjustment screw meters fuel and not air. Turning the screw CCW meters more fuel through and vice-versa. Yes, on some carbs the F/A adj screw does meter air like you mention above, in which case what you say holds true.
Thanks,
I did not know that sorry for the confusion
Suresh
Old 17th February 2010, 15:10   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......... When the pilot air screw is unscrewed, it bleeds more air into the circuit and thereby makes the mixture leaner. Iam sure that you know that this is the finer control of the Stochiometric (A/F) ratio of the engine
Suresh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
@Suresh - On the BS29, the so called pilot air screw aka F/A adjustment screw meters fuel and not air.....
But mine is the BS26 - is there a difference in the A/F mixture screw on this one and the BS29?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 18:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But mine is the BS26 - is there a difference in the A/F mixture screw on this one and the BS29?
No difference.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 15:07   #143
BHPian

Friends,

Anybody has the pictures of various types of RE silencers?

Another question:

Is it possible to fit the New classic 500 silencer into TBTS?

Thanks,
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 15:27   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
@Suresh - On the BS29, the so called pilot air screw aka F/A adjustment screw meters fuel and not air. Turning the screw CCW meters more fuel through and vice-versa. Yes, on some carbs the F/A adj screw does meter air like you mention above, in which case what you say holds true.

On the same topic, does anybody know whether the F/A screw on the VM28 meters fuel or is it air?
The screw in the non-CV carburettors (VM24 & VM28) on the Bullet are air bleeds, i.e. they monitor the amount of air into the engine at idle.

Also, thanks for sharing the information about the CV carurettors, didn't know that.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 03:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

i have ordered a upswept goldstar from Sans. i hope to receive it in a week or so. this time sans have changed the design to look like ones awaiable in south i mean in Pune the famous shakeel sorts. lets see how that thing performs.

i already have a goldie from Royalmotors. it is a direct pipe bloody loud. i dont like it that loud it is so dumb to use that kinda pipe on a british single.

thanks will update the thread soon.
-------

Below attached are the pics with the goldstar on the bike, this is a old pic from 2007 october i think
Attached Thumbnails
GoldStar Silencer-bullet_1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by desideep : 26th February 2010 at 03:12.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 13:10   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post

this time sans have changed the design to look like ones awaiable in south i mean in Pune the famous shakeel sorts. lets see how that thing performs.
Would appreciate you attaching a pic as soon as you fit it. Looking forward to the performance report too since I am looking to get the same.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:24   #147
BHPian

@desideep,

you got the silencer? how is the performance?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 02:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Hey Man,
i am sorry but i have not received the Exaust yet. i have been keeping very busy

if you check the thread bellow in my signature thats what i have recently done to me bike. and i hope to fit the exaust if i receive it in next some days as soon as i hit the 1500 KM mark.

Thanks
Desi D

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...o-avl-std.html (What to do ? AVL and STD.)

Last edited by desideep : 24th March 2010 at 02:01.
Old 12th April 2010, 00:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

i received a call on 6th April the tuesday that the Exaust was ready and if i can come and collect it. thanks to Mr. Katar himself that he took pains to get it fitted to my bike.

The exaust sounds real nice. the best part it that the Thump is not too loud. but it is a very soothing thump.
Attached Images

Last edited by desideep : 12th April 2010 at 00:05.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:12   #150
BHPian

Hello friends,

I am riding my friend's Thunderbird 2003 and am going to buy the same soon. I wanted to know what silencer does it have (pls see the below photos) and how do you rate it. It is yes a bit too noisy but I do not mind.

I was thinking to go for one goldie from Sans Inc, Delhi, pls advice the what do you think the effect in performance would be.
Attached Thumbnails
GoldStar Silencer-dscn0272.jpg  

DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote