Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th April 2010, 12:35   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hello friends,

I am riding my friend's Thunderbird 2003 and am going to buy the same soon. I wanted to know what silencer does it have (pls see the below photos) and how do you rate it. It is yes a bit too noisy but I do not mind.
Its a free flow indore silencer.A bit loud silencer but doesn't effect the engines performance noticeably.
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 13:59   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

I am riding my friend's Thunderbird 2003 and am going to buy the same soon. I wanted to know what silencer does it have (pls see the below photos) and how do you rate it. It is yes a bit too noisy but I do not mind.

I was thinking to go for one goldie from Sans Inc, Delhi, pls advice the what do you think the effect in performance would be.
DesertKing,

It looks like good old short bottle (may be after market) silencer.

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:26   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

It might be a free flow indore silencer if its loud.
Its not a short bottle as a short bottle has a small neck.
Nonetheless,diff. states may call it by different names.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:50   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans View Post
It might be a free flow indore silencer if its loud.
Its not a short bottle as a short bottle has a small neck.
Nonetheless,diff. states may call it by different names.
Yes, the silencer is loud + it makes some noise of mis-firing specially when I use gear breaking (downshift the gear and release cluth when on higher speed). Thanks for your help.

PS :: does this misfiring indicate something?? To everybodies wonder, I like the misfiring sound, just eager to know (will not opt for sure) if it can be increased without any harm to the engine and power/performance.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the silencer is loud + it makes some noise of mis-firing specially when I use gear breaking (downshift the gear and release cluth when on higher speed). Thanks for your help.

PS :: does this misfiring indicate something?? To everybodies wonder, I like the misfiring sound, just eager to know (will not opt for sure) if it can be increased without any harm to the engine and power/performance.
Misfiring is due to wrong tuning of the carb.U might be running too lean or too rich.
Though many do not like it at all,I am not aware of its long term effects on the engine.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

the exust that you are using should be a freeflow according to your discription. i think that you should go for SANS Goldstar. i have had it on for some days now. as i mentioned that the the thump is really nice. i also had a another goldstar on the bike. if you check on the previous page i have a photo of that on my STD it was very loud and had the same missfiring problem. but the missfiring was taken care of by tuning the carb but then the drop in the FE was not something that i really wanted.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 12:55   #157
BHPian

Sorry for going OT on this thread. Pls help me on the below thread by sharing your knowledge there, I am dying to own the Thunderbird and need all of yours help...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ng-doubts.html
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 18:05   #158
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Where can I get the goldster Silencer in Bangalore. I want to put it on my CI 500
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 00:45   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma View Post
Hi guys,
Firstly about the Pune-made goldstar by shaqueel is the best sounding and is a of very good quality. There are two types of goldstars: One is for the bullets which were manufactured before 2001/2002, they had a smaller (and had a smaller diameter) bendpipe compared to that of the new ones, both cost the same. Rs1500/- w/o chrome plating and courier. His number is +91 9822994432, Aashu Fabritech Pvt Ltd, Wanowarie, Pune. I got mine for Rs1700/- w/o chrome plating and he had sent it through the Pune-Bombay Taxi Service. I had to collect it from Dadar Taxi stand, which was a pain! But I got it the very next day of ordering it.

The Delhi made goldstar comes for Rs 1300/- with chrome plating and is not inclusive of courier charges, it is made by Sans Inc, the guy's name is Saurab Katar, his number is +91 9999251103. Although I am not sure of the quality, but it seems his work is decent enough and I will be checking it out next week in Delhi.
Dwaraka, why don't you get it from Pune?
Delhi is another option as well. If you browse through the pages you'l get the numbers of the fabricators.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 22:49   #160
BHPian

@SANS : leaving out the thump what would be the difference between the two grilled silencer and the single one ? you use glass wool as well ?
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 23:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
@SANS : leaving out the thump what would be the difference between the two grilled silencer and the single one ? you use glass wool as well ?
Thump is the prime thing which matters.
There is no other difference as such.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:12   #162
BHPian

OK. Not sure if this thread is still alive, as the last post was made some 4 months back. A lot has changed in the recent past with RE products.

@ Jay and others:

I have a machismo 350, 2008. I got a Goldie from Shakeel ( 1.5 yrs back) and put it on my Machismo. The plan was to upjet and use a free flow filter with the Goldie. Did not materialize, blame it on my laziness.

I liked the note of the Shakeels Goldie at low revs, but at higher revs, the thump was lost, taken over by this loud shrilling noise. Too loud for me taste. (i was using the Goldie with the cat-con removed from the OEM bent pipe). with the Goldie, i could feel reduction in back-pressure, and also reduction in initial pickup.

I removed the Goldie, put a short bottle, did some acoustic experiments with the CEAT mudflaps (meant for mini trucks) clubbed with silencer end rubber ring, and was satisfied. Thats how my machismo 350 is running today.

About 6 months back, i got the delivery of my classic 500. From the very beginning, i bought the up-swept silencer (made and marketed by RE as off roading silencer). the Up-swept for the C5 (classic 500), has to be bought with the bent pipe. This bent pipe DOES NOT have a cat-con. (hence marketed as off road, as the latest emissions norms are not met).

Anyhow, i was not satisfied with exhaust note of this up-swept silencer either on my C5.

All this while, i still had the Shakeel's Goldie with me ( the one bought for my machismo 350)
Now i am planning to make some mounting modifications, and use that Goldie on my C5. I tried putting the Goldie (holding with hand) with the bent pipe of up-swept (without the cat-con), and started the bike to get a feel of the sound. The bike sounded much better at idle, but with little throttle, the sound became very loud and shrill. ( the bike was stationary, as the Goldie was not mounted to the bike, but held with had to get a feel of the sound)
have decided to modify the mounting points on the Goldie anyways, and get test it out.

A few issues which comes to my mind:

the C5 has a fuel injection instead of carb, so up-jetting etc is out of question. What i can do max is use a free flow air-filter. The C5 is got an AIR FLOW SENSOR, which senses the amount of air intake, and compensates petrol accordingly (based on the mapping). I am hoping that with a free flow air-filter (K&N), the Airflow-sensor would sense increase in the amount of air and accordingly adjust the petrol mixture. However, i am not too sure about all this.

Was wondering, if i use the Goldie on the C5, will it have any other adverse affects? will it fry/melt the exhaust valves? Would there be any difference in performance?

Also, the dia of the Goldie is slightly larger than the bent pipe. How can i adjust that? (what type of packing can be used?

Guys, throw in your suggestions / inputs for these new breed of enfields, so that they can sound at-least 80% of what a well tuned standard would.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 24th September 2010 at 13:15.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 11:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Also, the dia of the Goldie is slightly larger than the bent pipe. How can i adjust that? (what type of packing can be used?
Is the dia of your bent pipe the same as electra? AFAIK, there is a converter available, to convert the small bent pipe mouth to the larger one of a Goldie. I've seen it on my friend's Electra, he used it when he upgraded to a Goldie. Its available at Sandhya.

Regarding the upjet for an FFE, i've no idea about the newer breeds. Is it possible to somehow re-map the C5?

Do you have the open-able Shakeel Goldie? The later ones (including the one I have) comes with an open-able back where you can stuff in glass wool. I'm running a shakeel Goldie with glass wool half filled, and i can bear the sound even at 100+.

Another suggestion, there is another breed of goldies, sold by Sans from Delhi. Those are not free flow, but comes with baffles in them. If sound is the only reason why you want to upgrade to a Goldie, you can give the Delhi Goldie a try. I have a spare one which I tried on my bike for sometime, PM me if you want to try it on and check the sound.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 12:56   #164
BHPian

@ jingaboysr

The goldie which i got from shakeel is NOT open-able type.
Its a single piece goldie, with a perforated sheet metal bent like a flower petal in side. There is not glass wool.

Yesterday, i managed to fit that old Goldie on to the C5. ( abit of cutting and welding of mounting points.)

the C5 with goldie sounds very different compared to either stock or up-swept. Its much loud. The beats are clear, loud and bassy at low revs, and the bike sounds very good at speed of 50kmph in 4th gear / 60 kmph in 5th gear.
BUT, as soon as the engine is revved, the thump changes in to a loud snarl/roar. (the typical character of the goldie replicas).

The engine feels like its breathing easily, the back-pressure seems to have reduced. Also, i think, there is slight reduction in initial pickup. (i may also feel so, as i was a little reluctant to rev hard, cos of the sound and scared of heating the exhaust valves.

Talking more about the goldie, the beat its making it a little louder than what i would prefer. So i am planning to cut the goldie, remove the petal shaped perforated sheet, fit another perforated sheet tube, and fill the gap between the perforated sheet tube and the outer wall with glass wool. Have already spoken to a sheet metal tinkering and he would do it for me. I am hoping that would reduce the loudness, slightly and made the beat even more heavy on base. Got to chrome plate the goldie again so might aswell explore the glass wool as well before plating.

Sound is the main reason for me switching to goldie. Performance boost would be an added advantage. (contrary to popular belief, i feel C5 is way underpowered), for all the newness / price.

Here is pic of yesterdays fitment of the old goldie.
Attached Thumbnails
GoldStar Silencer-image0105.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 14:49   #165
BHPian

Here is my Glodie

May be you can try to make the silencer openable, so that you can insert/remove glass wool as you wish. The guy whom I gave for chroming told that the glass wool would melt inside when they chrome it, so I removed it and got it chromed.

Insertion of glass wool did not make the low end more bassy in my case, it reduced the sound. That's the reason why I run my bike with glass wool loosely filled in.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote