Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 20:18   #181
BHPian
 
bludhemn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 39
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Sorry to bump on this thread, but I had a quick question.

Can a CL350 take an original bsa goldstar silencer, apart from the fact that there may be the need of some sleeve to make a proper fit? Will it mess up the engine, ie?

Thanks
bludhemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 10:34   #182
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 319
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Just got a goldstar from Chawla Auto Spares, Karol Bagh. Luckily got to hear the thump at the shop only as there was another guy, who had come for upswept silencer for CL350. The one that i got is a little upswept and filled with glasswool but not openable.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 15:28   #183
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 604
Thanked: 527 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
How would i know if my Electra comes with the heavier crank or the lighter crank?
2007 Electra did not come with heavy crank, I think. What's the slowest speed you can chug along without stalling in top gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
If it is the lighter crank, is it possible to change this to a heavier crank?
Yes. Get yourself a G2 crank or you can add weight to the existing crank. Haven't seen mechs here in Bangalore doing it. There is an old lathe shop in Coimbatore: De-Silva. Bullet engines come from all over the south to them for lathe work and these folks have been doing this and more for ages now. Balancing the crank after adding the weight is the trickiest part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
How do i make the thump from my Bullet more louder? When i say louder, i mean meaty and bassier and not crassy!
Nothing like the heavy crank and the short bottle exhaust, but then spark plug gap, timing and tappet clearance also affects the note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Would a gold-star silencer from Sans/Pune help?
Not sure. The goldie lookalikes at Sandhya, JC road are crappy.
Easier option: get "Quality" make short bottle muffler and get an electric welder fire off one/two of the channel/ridges inside it.

Last edited by jeeva : 17th January 2011 at 15:39.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 22:11   #184
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 319
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Fitted the Goldstar, i have felt an increase in initial pickup, the bike is breathing better but at the same time i think it is not going to the top speed as it used to. Is it usual with goldstar?
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 21:22   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Fitted the Goldstar, i have felt an increase in initial pickup, the bike is breathing better but at the same time i think it is not going to the top speed as it used to. Is it usual with goldstar?
The intial pickup is more about the engine breathing a little better now due to the goldy. However, the reduction in back pressure & the consequent better breathing abilities make the engine run lean on higher rpms (say above half throttle) if the jetting is not corrected to take care of the fuel-air ratio.

Also, you read it right on this thread, a goldstar or any sort of free flow exhaust which results in reduction of the back pressure, it can have an adverse effect on the engine starting with & not limited to the exhaust valve assembly if the stoichiometric ratio is not taken care of.

Since your bike is the thunderbird, it comes with the CV carburettor & though there are articles all over the internet that you can fiddle with it to change the fuel-air settings, the degree of correction possible is fairly less.

Lastly, a bit OT, but which mechanic in Delhi do you go to?

Ride safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 25th January 2011 at 21:23.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 23:49   #186
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 319
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
The intial pickup is more about the engine breathing a little better now due to the goldy. However, the reduction in back pressure & the consequent better breathing abilities make the engine run lean on higher rpms (say above half throttle) if the jetting is not corrected to take care of the fuel-air ratio.

Also, you read it right on this thread, a goldstar or any sort of free flow exhaust which results in reduction of the back pressure, it can have an adverse effect on the engine starting with & not limited to the exhaust valve assembly if the stoichiometric ratio is not taken care of.

Since your bike is the thunderbird, it comes with the CV carburettor & though there are articles all over the internet that you can fiddle with it to change the fuel-air settings, the degree of correction possible is fairly less.

Lastly, a bit OT, but which mechanic in Delhi do you go to?

Ride safe.

Initially when i fitted goldie (without any changes in carb) it was popping on decelerating that means bike was running lean but i got the air fuel mixture setting done and voila! no popping at any speed. I touched 100 kmph on highway with it.

I stay in Vadodara not in Delhi .
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 07:57   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

i recently tried some thing on my bullet ...i went for a 2005-2006 electra Exaust i mean to say the one that came on the last CI STD 350.

I had a significant loss in the performance of the bike. the bike had a good initial Low end toruque. but the TOP was gone. i was unabel to go more than 90 on the speedo. i took off the exaust and moved back to the SANS goldie that i have again the bike had lost the initial low end torque but it was not noticable and the top end was back and now happily do 100 - 110. the engine revs freely and nicely.,
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 15:51   #188
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
...i went for a 2005-2006 electra Exaust i mean to say the one that came on the last CI STD 350.... ..
long bottle without glass wool filling? i suppose Electra's had wool inside but Std's run same bottle without wool.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 18:33   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

rennjit there used to be one model which had provision to remove the end and then take out the Glasswool... thats the model that i am talking about
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 18:51   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Initially when i fitted goldie (without any changes in carb) it was popping on decelerating that means bike was running lean but i got the air fuel mixture setting done and voila! no popping at any speed. I touched 100 kmph on highway with it.

I stay in Vadodara not in Delhi .

Well, that's good if you have already taken care of things, because popping is a symptom of severely lean running engine. But what was done to take care of the fuel air mixture? And I suppose 100 kmph is a decent top whack. What is the issue you are facing now?

As for your location, you posted that you got the goldie from karol bagh & hence got confused.

Ride safe.

@Rennjit: I might be wrong dude, but I remember seeing glasswool being removed from the last version of silencers that came on std350 at my mechanic's place (silencers with removable ends as desi has posted). So, I suppose both Electra & Std had the same end cans.

@desi: Fair enough observation since the Electra end cans or silencers are very restrictive especially in comparison to your other goldstar silencer.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 26th January 2011 at 18:57.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:39   #191
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 319
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Well, that's good if you have already taken care of things, because popping is a symptom of severely lean running engine. But what was done to take care of the fuel air mixture? And I suppose 100 kmph is a decent top whack. What is the issue you are facing now?

As for your location, you posted that you got the goldie from karol bagh & hence got confused.

Ride safe.
I got the air-fuel mixture setting done in the carb. Reduced a bit of air by tightening the air screw. Yesterday i did 110 kmph with the goldie.

My issue:
When i bought the silencer i asked for the one filled with glasswool. There was a free flow also available for Rs. 700. The silencer that i bought is a little upswept so i cannot check from inside whether its a free flow or not. The shopkeeper said its filled with glasswool but its not openable.
The changes that i have noticed in my bike are:
1. Increased pickup
2. Increased fuel efficiency
3. Decresed low end torque
I just want to be sure that its not a free flow because i don't want my exhaust valves or tappets roasted.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 15:36   #192
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
...@Rennjit: I might be wrong dude, but I remember seeing glasswool being removed from the last version of silencers that came on std350 at my mechanic's place (silencers with removable ends as desi has posted). So, I suppose both Electra & Std had the same end cans...
Strange are the ways of RE. While looking for a replacement for electra, i was offered two types of long bottle silencer (yes, with removable ends) with wool filling(~rs.1800)or without (~rs.1500), latter claimed to be of Std & its by a brand store service chief who even confirmed with someone over phone. Proper short bottle to suit electra/ std & in factory packing retails for ~1200.

Is there an openable goldie replica with mufflers inside available? I've seen ones with wool but had no mufflers, ie., one can see through its ends.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 07:49   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

I think that the PUNE goldies are the ones with the removeable end check them
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 22:13   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
I got the air-fuel mixture setting done in the carb. Reduced a bit of air by tightening the air screw. Yesterday i did 110 kmph with the goldie.

I assume that you speak of the idle air screw on the carburettor, but if it is so, I fail to understand how it can cure the problem of popping in your bike's engine on high rpms. That's because the idle air screw controls only the idle to about 1/4th throttle opening & there is no way that it can affect the fuel-air ratio at higher rpms.

My issue:
When i bought the silencer i asked for the one filled with glasswool. There was a free flow also available for Rs. 700. The silencer that i bought is a little upswept so i cannot check from inside whether its a free flow or not. The shopkeeper said its filled with glasswool but its not openable.
The changes that i have noticed in my bike are:
1. Increased pickup
2. Increased fuel efficiency
3. Decresed low end torque
I just want to be sure that its not a free flow because i don't want my exhaust valves or tappets roasted.

Free flow silencers can be with or without glasswool in them. Glasswool is simply an acoustic & thermal insulator, though the design (free flowing) might need to be modified a bit in either type.

There is no definition to what a free flow exhaust is, but simply put it is any exhaust that can reduce the back pressure & help in increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine. From the observations you have listed now, all that can be said is that the new silencer is less restrictive than the previous one & so I would say that it's "freer" flowing, again because there's no set definition. And hey, a free flow is not a bad thing if the fuel-air mixture is set right. And moreover, nothing happens so soon but be careful till you get things straight.

Lastly, can you post a picture of the air screw you were referring to above if that's not the idle air screw.
Hey, my replies in bold above.

Ride safe.

@renn: You are spot on about the ways of the RE, the company that is because till now I had been constantly under the impression that RE has stopped manufacturing their own short bottle silencer. All that I ever found with dealers was Quality, Laxmi udyog & other stuff (locally produced & not from company) sold off to customers in the name of being original. Same was the scenario in Delhi, Gurgaon & the 3 dealers at chandigarh.

Ride safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 28th January 2011 at 22:21.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 23:11   #195
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 319
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey, my replies in bold above.

Ride safe.

@renn: You are spot on about the ways of the RE, the company that is because till now I had been constantly under the impression that RE has stopped manufacturing their own short bottle silencer. All that I ever found with dealers was Quality, Laxmi udyog & other stuff (locally produced & not from company) sold off to customers in the name of being original. Same was the scenario in Delhi, Gurgaon & the 3 dealers at chandigarh.

Ride safe.
The screw marked with red arrow in the image.
Attached Images
 
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullet silencer for sale. 2 numbers Gordon Shifting gears 1 22nd April 2007 15:58
Decarbonizing your diesel car silencer at home tsk1979 Technical Stuff 16 30th July 2006 10:53
Baleno silencer touches filcord Technical Stuff 12 8th December 2005 22:20
MATIZ - Silencer noise SCH Technical Stuff 7 23rd March 2005 00:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks