Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th January 2011, 20:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: GoldStar Silencer

^^ ricky, earlier when you had said that the bike was popping while decelerating, did you mean that the popping would occur when you would release the throttle?

If yes, then the air screw can remove the popping. However, if the popping was happening at high rpms with the throttle at any position above 1/4th to 1/3rd, then the air screw cannot do any thing. Please confirm the observation.

Also, about your concern, just try to observe if the engine feels strained at the same speed, say at 100kmph. You can make out the difference, the rpms would be higher (coupled with more vibrations) now if the bike's running lean. Also, how is the engine response in the mornings (i.e when bike is cold)? Usually, a properly tuned mixture would result in slight sluggishness when the engine is started, however this sluggishness disappears within a few minutes of operation.

Spark plug can also be another indicator, provided you have put some sort of oil in your tank along with petrol.

Ride safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 11:29   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ ricky, earlier when you had said that the bike was popping while decelerating, did you mean that the popping would occur when you would release the throttle?

If yes, then the air screw can remove the popping. However, if the popping was happening at high rpms with the throttle at any position above 1/4th to 1/3rd, then the air screw cannot do any thing. Please confirm the observation.

Also, about your concern, just try to observe if the engine feels strained at the same speed, say at 100kmph. You can make out the difference, the rpms would be higher (coupled with more vibrations) now if the bike's running lean. Also, how is the engine response in the mornings (i.e when bike is cold)? Usually, a properly tuned mixture would result in slight sluggishness when the engine is started, however this sluggishness disappears within a few minutes of operation.

Spark plug can also be another indicator, provided you have put some sort of oil in your tank along with petrol.

Ride safe.
Yes, popping would occur on releasing the throttle.

It is not happening on position above 1/4th to 1/3rd throttle because i did 110 kmph and the other riders did not notice any popping and infact they liked the thump , i will still observe it carefully next time and will update.

There are no vibrations at 100 kmph but will check if the RPMs are higher than before. What should be the RPM at 100 kmph?

In cold start i increase the idle RPM to 1100 and then ride after 2-3 mins of idling.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 20:49   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Yes, popping would occur on releasing the throttle.

Fine then, the idle air screw takes care of that.

It is not happening on position above 1/4th to 1/3rd throttle because i did 110 kmph and the other riders did not notice any popping and infact they liked the thump , i will still observe it carefully next time and will update.

Popping is easily noticeable, & since you haven't heard it yet, I doubt there's going to be any now.

There are no vibrations at 100 kmph but will check if the RPMs are higher than before. What should be the RPM at 100 kmph?

I can't be sure about what it should be, but you are the best judge here with respect to your bike. Try comparing the rpm ranges before the silencer change with the readings you are getting now. They should be similar. If so, nothing to worry.
Hey mate,

my replies in bold above.

Ride safe.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:04   #199
BHPian

@blackfire I checked today in the morning. I was doing 95kmph at 4000 RPM and i think earlier also the bike used to do the same but still i'll confirm with a friend who also has a 2002 RE Thunderbird.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey mate, I might be wrong but I feel that the rpm you have mentioned (4000) on 95 kmph is a bit high. I had a friend in my office about an year back & we had ridden between Delhi & Chandigarh on a couple of occasions & from what I recall, the rpm on his Tbird used to be around 3.5K at speeds in excess of 90 kmph.

Ride safe.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:05   #201
BHPian

Does this mean my top speed is reduced? What are the harmful effects?
Old 1st February 2011, 09:05   #202
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Hey mate, I might be wrong but I feel that the rpm you have mentioned (4000) on 95 kmph is a bit high. I had a friend in my office about an year back & we had ridden between Delhi & Chandigarh on a couple of occasions & from what I recall, the rpm on his Tbird used to be around 3.5K at speeds in excess of 90 kmph.

Ride safe.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:43   #203
BHPian

Default I am confused :-(

Hello thumpers

I am pretty new to the RE at least when it comes to owning one. I very recently got by electra UCE. I have 2 questions in mind. I was searching for the answers within the thread but I am now a confused soul. As any RE owner I too would like to hear its engine thump (at least a bit). These UCe’s are very silent and I can’t hear its heart beat. Now this is where all yours inputs come in ie.. options like goldie and original Retro RE short bubble silencers etc. Now my first question for you kind hearts would be.. Does it void my warranty? And the other question is I want the thump but I don’t want to compromise in low end torque
Please advise.
SN

Last edited by sunil.nv : 2nd February 2011 at 17:47. Reason: I dont know what happned..
sunil.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:30   #204
BHPian

Default Re: I am confused :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.nv View Post
Hello thumpers

I am pretty new to the RE at least when it comes to owning one. I very recently got by electra UCE. I have 2 questions in mind. I was searching for the answers within the thread but I am now a confused soul. As any RE owner I too would like to hear its engine thump (at least a bit). These UCeís are very silent and I canít hear its heart beat. Now this is where all yours inputs come in ie.. options like goldie and original Retro RE short bubble silencers etc. Now my first question for you kind hearts would be.. Does it void my warranty? And the other question is I want the thump but I donít want to compromise in low end torque
Please advise.
SN
Yes it will void your warranty. If anything happend to the engine after changing to an aftermarket silencer, it will not be covered under warranty.
Goldie and Short bottle have completely different thumps. The typical thump of a bullet you will get from a short bottle. You will loose on low end torque only if the silencer is free flowing or has less restriction than your stock silencer.
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:18   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it will void your warranty. If anything happend to the engine after changing to an aftermarket silencer, it will not be covered under warranty.
Goldie and Short bottle have completely different thumps. The typical thump of a bullet you will get from a short bottle. You will loose on low end torque only if the silencer is free flowing or has less restriction than your stock silencer.

Thank you for responding Ricky.. much appreciated. Now will the warranty be void if I fit the RE short bottle one that’s used in classics. If yes then I better not hear her beat!! but if no I can still maintain the warranty then how's the thump with a short bottle one?

regards
SN

Last edited by sunil.nv : 3rd February 2011 at 21:19. Reason: HTML codes..
sunil.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 08:55   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.nv View Post
Thank you for responding Ricky.. much appreciated. Now will the warranty be void if I fit the RE short bottle one thatís used in classics. If yes then I better not hear her beat!! but if no I can still maintain the warranty then how's the thump with a short bottle one?

regards
SN
If by short bottle you mean the upswept then NO, the warranty will not be void. Anything you buy from the RE showroom will not void the warranty.
I like the sound of upswept silencer on a Classic 500, haven't heard it on a Classic 350. The real thump of a silencer can be felt after carbon gets deposited in it. Listen to the thump of a upswept silencer on some bike or just go to the service center and tell them you want to hear the thump before buying it and then decide.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:56   #207
BHPian

When you say any after-market exhausts void the warranty, you mean RE will not give warranty IF they find out that you are using an after-market exhaust right?

These RE silencers are really easy to take out and fit back, you just to unscrew 2 bolts. Now, can't someone put on an aftermarket exhaust and enjoy the thump and then change to the original one, only when the bike goes to the service centre? Would the A.S.S be able to figure that out ? I don't think so.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 17:11   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
When you say any after-market exhausts void the warranty, you mean RE will not give warranty IF they find out that you are using an after-market exhaust right?

These RE silencers are really easy to take out and fit back, you just to unscrew 2 bolts. Now, can't someone put on an aftermarket exhaust and enjoy the thump and then change to the original one, only when the bike goes to the service centre? Would the A.S.S be able to figure that out ? I don't think so.
Yes they will not get to know if you were using after-market exhaust. Even i don't think the A.S.S. can figure it out but if the reason is typical like exhaust valves getting roasted etc, they may say you were using an after-market exhaust and your bike will not be repaired under warranty.
Old 5th February 2011, 09:51   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply ricky, but that was only what I remembered about Tbird from one of my rides many months back. But as I said, you need to check yourself if the bike's running at around the same rpm or not. May be you can check with some other TBird owners in your area or at your mechanic's place to confirm this.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:05   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply ricky, but that was only what I remembered about Tbird from one of my rides many months back. But as I said, you need to check yourself if the bike's running at around the same rpm or not. May be you can check with some other TBird owners in your area or at your mechanic's place to confirm this.
I am facing some problem with the clutch. It feels like the clutch is still pressed even when i leave the clutch lever completely. My mechanic said i have to get the clutch plates changed and a bhpian has also confirmed the same. This is the reason for high RPM at low speed.

P.S. - I am getting the clutch plates of CI500 this time .