Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th September 2009, 13:16   #61
BHPian

hi Everyone,

Jay have heard( read ) a lot about your 500lb & you in this forum, just loved the thread by bluu .

I have some queries, but i don't know if this is the best thread to post that.

About the silencer : I have done almost 1200 clicks on my Odo , is it necessary to run in the engine for atleast 5k kms before changing anything ? About the goldstar, i enquired Saurabh & he can ship me one, but What would be the difference between the Goldstar, the Dholki ( local made short bottle ), and retro ( short bubble from RE ) .

Another thing to go with this is that my Stock Bend pipe is turning yellow from the part it is attached into the engine. is it normal ?? i have not ridden by Bull @ 50- 60 right now & not more.. did i mention i have a standard 350 ( 26-june-09)
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 20:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
About the silencer : I have done almost 1200 clicks on my Odo , is it necessary to run in the engine for atleast 5k kms before changing anything ? About the goldstar, i enquired Saurabh & he can ship me one, but What would be the difference between the Goldstar, the Dholki ( local made short bottle ), and retro ( short bubble from RE ) .

Another thing to go with this is that my Stock Bend pipe is turning yellow from the part it is attached into the engine. is it normal ?? i have not ridden by Bull @ 50- 60 right now & not more.. did i mention i have a standard 350 ( 26-june-09)
You can plonk in the short bottle silencer made by RE. Change to the Goldie after maybe 3K because the goldie reduces back pressure. Not too good for the valves and the head early on during the run in. You can remedy this by upjetting, but then doing plug chops at this time isn't very advisable. If you like to thump along, the short bottle(retro) silencer from RE would be your best bet.

Your bend pipe doesn't have extra material on it like the AVLs do, that prevents yellowing. You can't help much. And if it is turns blue, you will have to worry as that would mean that your engine is running real hot/lean. So, don't worry about yellowing. Good that you are riding slow and easy during your run in.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 21:20   #63
BHPian

thanks a lot !! it will help a lot, i will go for the short bubble one from RE. Yeah its now constant slight yellow, not too much, for that too i got it checked thrice from the Re engineer( mailed them & they sent a pro guy), he checked the timing & also tuned the card a bit, but after that i feel like the thump has changed. but then it might be my own psycological thing .

Thanks

Shantanu
Old 12th September 2009, 01:08   #64
BHPian

Default Snarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1. You can not compare a two cylinder sound with a single cylinder. IMO single sound much "thumpier" and twins sound more snarly.

2. What is your definition of "sportier" thump?
Snarly - yes thats the word. I want the thump snarlier.

In general does anyone know what components (or lack of them) in a exhaust system make it sound sportier , freeflow is it.

A simplistic description of a muffler is a ingenious cylinder where the sound waves cancel each other out, well not totally else it would be silent.
Now in theory if you can make a cylinder where one wave cancels the other,you can build one where one wave become 2 waves . what say ?
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 16:56   #65
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I would be getting my new std this week and I would like to replace the stock silencer with either Goldstar like or the short bottle type one manufactured by RE. But I have a few queries. Can any one help me clarify it?

1. After buying a new bullet can I fit it only after the run-in period?
2. Which one offer a performance advantage, Goldie or the Short one?

Thanks
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^

Sudheer,

Do a search in the forum man. This has been discussed plenty of times.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th September 2009, 21:42   #67
BHPian

i finally fitted the shortbottle with the new bend pipe from RE itself. ITs amazing & there is no misfire too. The sound is fantabolous . Thanks Jay for the advice. costed me 1670/- for both from RE brand store
Old 15th September 2009, 07:28   #68
BHPian

@Jay : Will the short bottle silencer give a good thump along with good low end torq? I don't want to mess up with the low end torque , but can compromise on top end.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
@Jay : Will the short bottle silencer give a good thump along with good low end torq? I don't want to mess up with the low end torque , but can compromise on top end.
Niks,

Short bottle from RE plus the stock bend pipe will give you good thump along with little or no compromise in low end torque. Stay away from the goldie if you want low end torque.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 19th September 2009, 02:21   #70
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2009 at 03:47. Reason: See note.
sans is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2009, 10:18   #71
BHPian

Guys, I'm doing a bit of research on silencers for my CI 500, i'd very much appretiate if someone could post some pictures of the "pune goldstar" and the "megaphone" silencers. I've seen the delhi goldie from sans in my friend's bike, i want to knw the difference between that and the pune goldie.

The megaphone... i'm hearing it for the first time, can someone throw some light on it??
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 14:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Guys, I'm doing a bit of research on silencers for my CI 500
First, what are you trying to achieve by changing the silencer?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 19:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
First, what are you trying to achieve by changing the silencer?
what I have is the stock long bottle one that comes with cast iron 500s, i'm not so happy with the thump in lower speeds.

My primary requirement is a meatier thump with a lot of bass.. ( i hate the sound of freeflow exhausts be it short bottle or rocket or whatever)

I would also expect a bit more low end torque in the process.
Old 25th November 2009, 22:39   #74
BHPian

just go for the original Retro RE short bubble ( its not free flow ) & gives awesome bass and meatier thump , the Low end tourque increases a bit with this one.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:17   #75
BHPian

thanks, by the way, can anyone post some pics of the so called "megaphone" silencer?