Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:09   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Ok, perfect time to ask my question here. I guess what you call "popping" is the misfire/backfire that happens on Goldie silencers. So loud that most of the times, other commuters on the road turn back to look. Please correct if wrong.

I have a Goldie (don't know who was the creator or the father, don't have a name to go with it like Shakeel, Pune etc) which is completely without any packing. I can actually see through it from end to end - it is shaped like a Goldie thats it. But I like the sound, so no worries. But I get this "popping" sound too. Gordon said that this can be rectified by a larger jet - how can I get this done? Any mech I can approach?
Another question - since I have such a Goldie with no packing at all, if I ride my bike for long distances without changing the carb settings, can this adversely affect the engine?

Last question to JayPrashanth - where and how can I get a Shakeel Goldie? Guys in RTMC have loads of jokes about how long it takes to get a Muneer Goldie, so if the Shakeel Goldie is better, how can I get one?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:34   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ok, perfect time to ask my question here. I guess what you call "popping" is the misfire/backfire that happens on Goldie silencers. So loud that most of the times, other commuters on the road turn back to look. Please correct if wrong.

I have a Goldie (don't know who was the creator or the father, don't have a name to go with it like Shakeel, Pune etc) which is completely without any packing. I can actually see through it from end to end - it is shaped like a Goldie thats it. But I like the sound, so no worries. But I get this "popping" sound too. Gordon said that this can be rectified by a larger jet - how can I get this done? Any mech I can approach?
Another question - since I have such a Goldie with no packing at all, if I ride my bike for long distances without changing the carb settings, can this adversely affect the engine?

Last question to JayPrashanth - where and how can I get a Shakeel Goldie? Guys in RTMC have loads of jokes about how long it takes to get a Muneer Goldie, so if the Shakeel Goldie is better, how can I get one?
I've PM'ed you Shakeel's number. Sustained high speed riding with a goldie on could burn your exhaust valve if don't upjet. If you ride a Enfield with a VM carb, you can find plenty of jets on JC Road. Having said that, there are plenty of wrong sized jets floating around in JC road. Best option is to purchase a few drill bits and drill out the JC road jets according to your specs.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:34   #93
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Naveenroy, I think what you have is the free flow goldie which you get from Sandhya motors, Bangalore.

And Yes @Jay, I too have this question.. long rides and goldie, can that cause any problems to the exhaust valve?

Regarding this popping, is that the thug thug sound that comes when you ride in high rev and then sudddenly let go of the throttle? If it is, then I had this issue with my short bottle silencer in my erstwhile AVL mac 350. And my mech rectified it by adjusting the carb tuning...
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:14   #94
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I've PM'ed you Shakeel's number. Sustained high speed riding with a goldie on could burn your exhaust valve if don't upjet. If you ride a Enfield with a VM carb, you can find plenty of jets on JC Road. Having said that, there are plenty of wrong sized jets floating around in JC road. Best option is to purchase a few drill bits and drill out the JC road jets according to your specs.

Cheers,

Jay
Jay could you also PM me shakeel's number.. Thanks.

Also on a similar note.. I know that upjetting the carb is a long process, trial and error by checking with combinations of main jets, pilot jets and several plug chop tests.. I am really interested do do this, but due to time constraints I would like to get this done by a professional mec.
As you guys are from bangalore, I want to ask you, is there anyone in bangalore who does this pretty well? Like someone specialised in this?
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:21   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I am really interested do do this, but due to time constraints I would like to get this done by a professional mec. As you guys are from bangalore, I want to ask you, is there anyone in bangalore who does this pretty well? Like someone specialised in this?
Hehe, you took the words out of my mouth, help please.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:41   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,420
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

I have the Pune Goldstar on my bike and running stock jets, without a single misfire. Its just tuned to the right mixture setting.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 00:37   #97
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Why does that popping sound occur, though? A lean mixture causes it but how does it affect the exhaust valve?
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 08:39   #98
BHPian
 
raghu4222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Hi Guys,

I have a Machismo 350 '06 and have fitted a goldie out here @ bangalore. I do feel a drop at the higher gears, but the initial is good for me. And the sound it gives is jus awesome!!!

Raghu
Attached Images
  
raghu4222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:15   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a Machismo 350 '06 and have fitted a goldie out here @ bangalore. I do feel a drop at the higher gears, but the initial is good for me. And the sound it gives is jus awesome!!!

Raghu
Raghu,

Imho, you are feeling a drop in the top end due to the smaller rear tyre and not the goldie. Could also be that this feeling is being alleviated due to the lack of upjetting too.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:04   #100
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
..Best option is to purchase a few drill bits and drill out the JC road jets according to your specs..
Could you pls say how you guys check orifice size of a drilled jet or rather how you make sure that what you got is exact size wrf specified no:
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 20:09   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Could you pls say how you guys check orifice size of a drilled jet or rather how you make sure that what you got is exact size wrf specified no:
To measure exactly, my friend has a pin gauge set which are nothing but numbered wires. This can measure the jet orifice. Basically it is a trial and error process. Once the orifice number is noted and corresponded it to the jet size, jets are drilled out. The disadvantage with this method is that we need a orifice-jet number chart from the manufacturer or a set of original jets to match with. This, because orifice numbers vary from the numbering on the jets.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 06:12   #102
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Why does that popping sound occur, though? A lean mixture causes it but how does it affect the exhaust valve?
Lean mixture creates very high temperature hot gases. This will eventually burn out your exhaust valves in high speed sustained run. The rich incoming fuel mixture helps cylinder head cooling to some extent.

Last edited by sudharma : 5th December 2009 at 06:15. Reason: Correction
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 06:41   #103
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Lean mixture creates very high temperature hot gases. This will eventually burn out your exhaust valves in high speed sustained run. The rich incoming fuel mixture helps cylinder head cooling to some extent.
Thanks for the response, Sudharma. Ok, that's the exhaust valve. Why the occasional loud popping sound on killing the throttle at high RPM, when the mixture is lean?
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 18:13   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 137
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Why the occasional loud popping sound on killing the throttle at high RPM, when the mixture is lean?
I had the same popping issue on my LB500, it was cured by adjusting the idle F/A mixture screw. Here is something I found on the Mikuni site.

Mikuni American Corporation

Why This (normally) Happens:

1) When the throttle valve is in the idle position, fuel does not flow out of the main system (needle, needle jet, main jet). Fuel is only delivered to the engine by the pilot (idle) system.
2) The combined effect of the closed throttle and elevated engine rpm is to create a fairly strong vacuum in the intake manifold. This vacuum, in turn, causes a high air flow rate through the small gap formed by the throttle valve and carburetor throat.
3) Under these conditions the pilot (idle) system cannot deliver enough fuel to create a normal, combustible air/fuel ratio. The mixture becomes too lean to burn reliably in the combustion chamber. It gets sent into the exhaust system unburned and collects there.
4) When the odd firing of the lean mixture does occur, it is sent, still burning, into the exhaust system where it sometimes ignites the raw mixture that has collected ---- the exhaust then pops or backfires.
5) Completely stock Harleys do not do this until open-end mufflers, such as the popular Screamin' Eagle slip-ons, are installed. The exhaust must be both free-flowing and have an open exit for the popping to occur.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 00:20   #105
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Beast of Burden,

Thanks for your input. It was very helpful. That answered my question. I guess in a Bullet the popping would be really bad for the exhaust valve because of the exiting burning mixture as well as the hot lean-burnt exhaust as explained by sudharma.

It even validated my brother's explanation of the extra loud popping sound due to a leak where the muffler meets the header pipe. He gave me that reason for the sound when my bike used to do that when I was ten years old. I still remember the soot under the bend pipe...

By the way, I richened the air fuel mixture a little. Now, the popping has almost gone and the machine has a solid punch - well, as solid as a normal 350 can be. Heh heh!
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullet silencer for sale. 2 numbers Gordon Shifting gears 1 22nd April 2007 15:58
Decarbonizing your diesel car silencer at home tsk1979 Technical Stuff 16 30th July 2006 10:53
Baleno silencer touches filcord Technical Stuff 12 8th December 2005 22:20
MATIZ - Silencer noise SCH Technical Stuff 7 23rd March 2005 00:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks