Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th December 2014, 00:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Life of an Honda Activa

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was wondering if it was really costing that much.
Audioholic, not the activa, but for the Honda Dio with the 102cc engine when i asked engine replacement, they said 13k at Ananda Honda, Bangalore.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 00:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea of how much the entire engine of an activa costs? Forget engine, how much will a short block(or whatever it is called) cost?

The case again is of a 35k km run activa of my Aunt, but I have to confess that it is not one of the well maintained activas out there. The mechanic has suggested an overhaul it seems. However instead of reboring the block, I suggested her to replace the block, piston and also head if necessary. The service center quoted 22k for the job it seems so I was wondering if it was really costing that much.
WHAT ? 22 K ? Ask them to list the parts that they are going to replace.

To give you an example, I lived in Bangalore for 3 years from 2002-2005. My dad had got me a brand new Honda Dio in 2002 ( same engine as the Activas). Since my college was 22 kilometers too and fro along with the idhar udhar chakkars and road trips that I used to make on the Dio, I ended up with 70 thousand kilometers on the ODO in 3 years. Oil change intervals back then were 2500 kilometers but since my running was so much, I used to get the oil changed every 5 to 6 thousand kilometers. I have done a 1000 kilometer, Bangalore - Ooty, Kodaikanal, Mysore and back to Bangalore road trip on this Dio too.

After I left Bangalore, I gifted the same DIO to my Fua who used it till 1 lakh 69 thousand kilometers on the ODO, the engine overhaul only came at the 1 lakh kilometer mark and he spent 8 thousand on that. Of course, it was back in 2009, but still the price increase cannot be THIS HIGH for a 35 thousand run Activa.

Ultimately, he sold the bike at 1 lakh 70 thousand km on the ODO to someone for 15 thousand rupees and who knows it might still be running.

Moral of the story - Honda engines are BULLETPROOF reliable.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 00:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Audioholic, not the activa, but for the Honda Dio with the 102cc engine when i asked engine replacement, they said 13k at Ananda Honda, Bangalore.
Thanks for the quick reply! Since the Activa and Dio share the same underpinnings, I guess the cost should be same. What all does 13k include?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
WHAT ? 22 K ? Ask them to list the parts that they are going to replace.

To give you an example, I lived in Bangalore for 3 years from 2002-2005. My dad had got me a brand new Honda Dio in 2002 ( same engine as the Activas). Since my college was 22 and back to Bangalore road trip on this Dio too.

After I left Bangalore, I gifted the same DIO to my Fua who used it till 1 lakh 69 Moral of the story - Honda engines are BULLETPROOF reliable.
Having a Dio myself, yes I have no doubts on the quality of the scoot. I am not sure how they arrived at that quote but they gave a worst case estimate I think since the engine is not yet opened. As usual they(ASC) aren't the people who are bothered about informing customers about what, how much and why. They just do the job and make a bill out of it.

What I was thinking of was suppose the half engine can be brought from Honda spares, I can get it replaced with a trusted mechanic. Hence I wanted to know the cost of the same.

Suppose oil isn't changed on schedule, what kind of damage can be expected? Vaguely I can think of cylinder and piston damage. Will the head be gone too? What all will have to be replaced?
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 03:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
He mentioned that the life is just 35K km after which the engine work needs to be carried out
Utter stupidity!! Ask him if you can cross check his statement from HMSI & observe his face expressions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
1) Is it really true that the engine life of Honda is really low =>35K
2) If the life is really low, why is the resale value pretty high even though most of the Honda 2 wheeler vehicles are activa's
3) What is your opinion about this rusting pic that I posted. Do I need to change the fork as suggested
1. I really don't know, but my Uncle has one that has done 650000+ Km without having to open the engine; it rusts though
2. Pls ask the same question to the one who said about low engine life
3. Yes; Activa rusts like hell; like you, I too have a sparingly used Activa, 2005 model run for 21K km (compared to my C250R that has run 76K km since 2011); the clutch assy is a messy job that no jokers are capable of doing to perfection. The exhaust broke once in the middle of a commute due to rust & the wheel rims are also rusted.

Otherwise, it runs like a charm
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 14:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Having a Dio myself, yes I have no doubts on the quality of the scoot. I am not sure how they arrived at that quote but they gave a worst case estimate I think since the engine is not yet opened. As usual they(ASC) aren't the people who are bothered about informing customers about what, how much and why. They just do the job and make a bill out of it.

What I was thinking of was suppose the half engine can be brought from Honda spares, I can get it replaced with a trusted mechanic. Hence I wanted to know the cost of the same.

Suppose oil isn't changed on schedule, what kind of damage can be expected? Vaguely I can think of cylinder and piston damage. Will the head be gone too? What all will have to be replaced?
Hey, Sorry for the late reply, I somehow ended up missing this thread.

The biggest killer for a scooter is the constant shut down and start ups. In cities like Bangalore, where the mornings are cold, the maximum engine damage occurs when you start it in the morning. Since this is a carburated economy scooter, the engine tends to die during early morning starts, to compensate for the stalling, the rider ends up revving her up and driving with a hard throttle until the temperature rises and the scooter can idle properly on its own. Also since its a CVT transmission, to reach upto speeds, the engine will rev, and when you do that during a cold morning until it reaches its running temperature, its disaster for the engine

Since I knew this when I had my scooter, the first kilometer or so, I would ride with a very mild throttle and slowly. After that once the engine was warmed up, I would ride normally.

I did not change my oil according to Honda's recommendations, but that was because my bike was a highway run bike with my college being on a highway. In your case, if its a purely city run bike with frequent starts and stops, improper oil change can damage the piston rings and cylinder linings like you mention and make the scooter lose compression.

I don't know if you get a half engine assembly, but first things first, ask for a break up of parts and then only decide on the next course of action. Ask around in outside market if you can get the same original parts at a lower price. If yes, then your job is done.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 17:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. I will first check the vehicle and take it to a trusted mechanic to assess the damage. Honda parts are available through white channels itself. Hence that's not an issue to deal with.

Regarding habits, yes even I take the first km or two of the day very gently. I believe that's the most crucial stage. Some people have the habit of hurrying in the morning which is very harmful to the engine.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote