Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st March 2011, 22:56   #31
BANNED

Default Re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Why dont you check out Honda Dazzler too. Agree looks department is something not all will be happy with, but Unicorn engine tuned for slightly higher perfomance. Disc's on both wheels. Bangalore OTR is around 77K.
Pro's I would list out are Honda reliablity on a trusted Unicorn engine. Con's comes very near 180cc pulsar price on road and the looks which is not for everyones like.

I too been in a search for bike with same requirements as your's since past 4-5 months. Almost booked ZMR however many suggested against putting 1.13 Lac(bangalore OTR) on a brand which still not sure with their future plans after a 3 year time frame. So dropped the ZMR plan and the same with Hunk too which otherwise I felt was a great city bike.
I just dont understand how you can vouch for a honda engine straightaway . My friend has a unicorn , the valves got fried at just 12,000 kms . I do understand it is just one off a case , but again most of the engines are built to last and in my opinion nothing beats a yamaha engine in terms of durability after owning honda , yamaha , suzuki .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 23:39   #32
BHPian

Smile Re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@driveace,
I am also sailing the same boat as yours. Will a keep a watch on your thread. Also planning to TD some of them this weekend. Will update what i will find through TD.
Point noted rk_sans.
So team TD is gearing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
TVS RTR 180 Period. or at least TVS RTR 160. Open the throttle and you will get the answer why you should go for it. Mileage city under ripping 40 kmpl for RTR 180. For 160 you get 45+
Ok, I will check the TVS 180 Period bike too!
I will try to convince the guy for a 180 TD too.
I am getting the 160 TD anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
^^^
My friend's TVS Apache 180 returns mileage of 25-30 under hard ripping and 40-45 under normal riding. But I must say 180 RTR is one of the most fun-to -ride motorcycle.

@ACE, I strongly recommend you consider Yamaha SZR; keep that bike in your TD list for sure.
Apache Mileage since hovers around 40ish, Its surely ok.
the SZr TD, I will add to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
The pains of being a newbie :(. Had quoted this along with RTR 160/180 and Honda Unicorn. But I guess it got missed out due to fast replies from other members.

Anyways FYI, In Bangy,
RTR 160 costs around 75k onroad
GSX150R costs around 72k onroad
Uni costs around 72k onroad
Newbie has to be_new for a while! ~ Ace.
Well,
I have read your reply too, and yes, I have called up the Suzuki guy!
He will reply by tomorrow! (Geez, he needs one day to decide when he can come for TD!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I just dont understand how you can vouch for a honda engine straightaway . My friend has a unicorn , the valves got fried at just 12,000 kms . I do understand it is just one off a case , but again most of the engines are built to last and in my opinion nothing beats a yamaha engine in terms of durability after owning honda , yamaha , suzuki .
I guess, just like your friend who lost his valves at 12K might not be a fan of Hondas now!
Ok,
come on, we all have our (limited) first hand experiences, and (extended) networked_reviews.

Like we are all praise for Porsche!
how many have driven/owned them to vouch for!?
We rely on the reviews, right?
( Ok the analogy may not be perfect, but, I hope you get my point!)

Besides, the guy has done similar research_work before going for the Dazzler, so, he must have seen something really good in it!?

Let our aim be:
To put down really good material for us all to see through the pros/cons and the core_metal of the bikes under consideration!
(and offcourse, to help me buy a bike that will make me smile every damn mile! )

Thanks,

Ace.

Tomorrow's scheduled TDs :

TD1 : Apache 160 FI
TD2 : Yamaha Fz-S

Last edited by driverace : 21st March 2011 at 23:42.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Tomorrow's scheduled TDs :

TD1 : Apache 160 FI
TD2 : Yamaha Fz-S
AFAIK, production of Apache RTR Fi has been stopped. Instead, Apache HyperEdge is available. Nothing Hyper about it apart from cosmetic add-ons similar to HH products
akhil_007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

You can't wrong with either the RTR-180 and or FZ-16.

Avoid the RTR-160 FI IMO.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents:

If I were you, I would go for the Karizma R closing my eyes. Its one of the best products available in India. Great styling, superb engine, excellent ride.

Even though the Pulsar 220 has better top speed, Karizma has much better brakes which are more critical than top speed.

If you can not stretch the budget, then I would recommend Yamaha SZ R. SZ-R has good looks, and it should give you 55-60 FE. And the price also suits your budget.

For further reading and a lot more information, there is another forum called XBHP, which is I guess a sibling of Team BHP and is only dedicated to two wheelers.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
AFAIK, production of Apache RTR Fi has been stopped. Instead, Apache HyperEdge is available. Nothing Hyper about it apart from cosmetic add-ons similar to HH products
Hmm,
the sales guy told me he has the Double disc version of 160.
(which I assumed to be the FI one.)

Quote:
RTR apache 160 with rear discs (67,000)
RTR apache 160 with rear discs and MPFI (74,000)
RTR apache 180 (72,000)
Its not FI?
Hmm, will check today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You can't wrong with either the RTR-180 and or FZ-16.

Avoid the RTR-160 FI IMO.
Ya, Roger that.
About the FZ-16 (more later!)
Just had the TD and WOW!
Big smile! (BiG!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
My 2 cents:

If I were you, I would go for the Karizma R closing my eyes. Its one of the best products available in India. Great styling, superb engine, excellent ride.

Even though the Pulsar 220 has better top speed, Karizma has much better brakes which are more critical than top speed.

If you can not stretch the budget, then I would recommend Yamaha SZ R. SZ-R has good looks, and it should give you 55-60 FE. And the price also suits your budget.

For further reading and a lot more information, there is another forum called XBHP, which is I guess a sibling of Team BHP and is only dedicated to two wheelers.
Hmm, I consider your input on the Karizma, (along with bluevolt's)
called the HH guy for Karizma TD too.
waiting for that.

About the budget:

hmm,
Well, this is no hard and fast budget matter.
Just, self governed budget! (read post #1 for more on this! lol)

Methinks, the Fz / 180s are definitely still under the "75ish mark"
But, StiLL,
I have called the Yam guy from today with Sz tomorrow.
Lets check that too!

care,

Ace.

(Fz TDed! report by night.)
(Waiting for the A-pache)
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm,
the sales guy told me he has the Double disc version of 160.
(which I assumed to be the FI one.)

Its not FI?
Hmm, will check today.
An RTR-160 with FI or not come along with disc brakes at both the front and rear. You have to ask for it.

I don't like the ergonomics much because of 17" front and 18" rear wheels.
The RTR-180 comes with 17" wheels at front and rear and is the apache to ride.

Quote:

Had the brakes been that superior, the braking distances would have been much less, but it isn't so.

The Karizma may feel nicer to drive due to its smooth torquey engine.

BTW I own neither at the moment
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:48   #38
BHPian

Overdrive suggests the Yamaha FZ16 as the most fun to drive motorcycle. Its the lord of the streets, due to its precision braking, easy to pop up wheelies in open parking lots of malls or colonies to impress girls...... and a very forgiving bike (read comfortable) to take out on weekend rides.......its the best bang for your money currently............though opinions may vary.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:34   #39
BHPian

Post Re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Fz - S Test Drive:

First Impression:

You look at the Fz. I mean, just stand couple of feet away, and take a good look at it..
And you clearly see the lines drawn by this bike.
Initially when I saw Fz (in commercial), I thought it was indeed a "new" design as in India atleast.
and, now, in person, it stands out even more.
You get the feel of power that this bull-machine might have!
Radical (as the Swat cats would say!)

the TD vehicle was cleaned chaka-chak (obviously!).

so, without any further ado,
I took the key and mated it to the bike to get started!
Life came to it!

The Drive:

" Its One down, All up.." The guy told me..

Nope, It is all up up and away!!

I mean, put it in gear, and revv the bike just a little,
you cannot but feel the grunt here!
Put it in gear, and just release the clutch, and the Fz gets shot ahead! (literally)
(No exaggeration!)
I do have a Pulsar 150 Gen 3. at home, (which my bro uses now), So, that is kinda my base line of comparision.
I was smiling wide while shifting all the way up to top.
And, At like 70 kmph, I started to shift down,
all the way down to 2nd at 40kmph!

Believe me you, It was a acoustic treat to listen to the notes the engine was giving out.
Ripped the bike all over the RPM meter!

The control that it offered! ( OH MY GODD!)

Then, I took a bit of a curvy route around the Campus,
I could flick the bike, to lean a bit more lower than what I would do on my Pulsar,
And, It did not scare me at all!!
The wide truck tyre in the rear you know,
really does its job better than you think it does!!

I just messed around with the gears, and braked here and there.

Boy, the braking was like as insipiring as the pickup!
I mean, I braked hard from 65 kmph to almost a stop,
(using front - disc only),
and there was no any doubt of whether I had done anything wrong there!
(If you know what I mean).
The front of the bike holds well while braking as well, as it does while low speed riding.

The wide handle only makes it more comfortable to nick/push it around as desired.
( I am not sure, how it would feel when riden continuously for like hours, but I can tell you the stance and feel was amazing!)

In short:
This bike is Awesome. I am all gaga about it!

Conclusion:
One of the best bikes I have driven till date, for sure.
(The rest, I have to TD, but that is till now..)
Super pros:
Stand out bike (has distinct character)
Stance and feel (5 Stars from me!)
Definitely Driver's bike!

Pros:
Pickup & Drive (Already the best so far!)
Torque at 3-4-5k rpms in all gears to 4th. (amazing!)

Probable Cons:
Agressive looks may not be to everyones taste. ( But, I love it, absolut!)
Nothing more that's coming to mind, really!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Note:
I think I will take Fz as a Benchmark for all the TDs to follow.
Coincidentally I have TDed it the first,
and it sure raises the bar and expectations from others alike!

Now, I am aware, that all bikes are not having the USP as that of the Fz. but, comparison is what we are to do..

So lets bring the contenders on!

Today its a date with the Apache-160

Updates on that later.

Good Morning!

care,

Ace.

P.S. And, yes, there was this feeling I was having all the time, that this bike would transform into an Autobot (any minute now) !!

Last edited by driverace : 23rd March 2011 at 07:36. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^ It was really nice to read the TD experience of FZ. It surely is a smashing bike.

In my last post, I had recommended Karizma R to you. On a second thought, as a word of caution, as we all know, Honda is going to provide technical support to Hero only till 2013-14. I am not too sure what will happen to all the HH bikes then. Even though its too early to gauge anything, there is a possibility.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ It was really nice to read the TD experience of FZ. It surely is a smashing bike.

In my last post, I had recommended Karizma R to you. On a second thought, as a word of caution, as we all know, Honda is going to provide technical support to Hero only till 2013-14. I am not too sure what will happen to all the HH bikes then. Even though its too early to gauge anything, there is a possibility.
Tanks, man!

About the Karizma R,
I see, you agree with my concern on page 2. Post #24

Quote:
Concern about HH's stand in the market post-breakup with H.
hmm, that's a point of concern for sure, If we are planning to buy a 90K bike! (or for that matter any bike!)
The split is confirmed on a thread on tbhp.
hence, only the outcomes of it need to be gauged/estimated.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Note: I think I will take Fz as a Benchmark for all the TDs to follow.
Coincidentally I have TDed it the first,
and it sure raises the bar and expectations from others alike!

Oh boy. That's a tough benchmark mate. The vibrations on an otherwise wonderful RTR160 might put you off. I am not sure about Yam service centers, but TVS ones aren't that good. I own a 9 year old Fiero. RTR 180 could thrill you. I would stay away from HH as of now as I tend to keep my machines for long. Bajaj, P220 has more good reviews then bad, never ridden one to actually evaluate it.

My TD List would look like this

1. Yamaha FZ - Done - 4 stars?
2. TVS RTR 160/180 - To Do
3. Bajaj P220 - To Do - Comment: Do it around sun set. Check out the Head lights.

All the best

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got to this thread a bit late and find that you have already test driven the bike I had in mind when I saw the title!!!

FZ, specially the FZ S, is the way to go given your requirements. FZ S is technically the same as FZ with just cosmetic changes albeit very good cosmetic changes and paint schemes. Mileage as quoted by owners is in the range of 35-38kmpl in city with mild ripping. If driven with a mild right hand, then they were able to extract up to a max of about 42kmpl. So consider this as well. Nothing comes close to the build quality, handling and the fun to ride factor.

As pointed out, RTR series are great handlers and I would place them a close second to the FZ series but the stock TVS tires suck and also vibrations in the 4-6k rpm range will be irritating. Not sure how well damped they are in the RTR180.

My RTR160 used to give me around 40kmpl in stock condition in the city runs. I always ride fast and hence was happy with the mileage. Of course its a different beast now and am all smiles

Edit: P220, with fairing has got amazing headlights no doubt. But i felt it was a behemoth to handle in traffic and the headlights were not easy to align. My low beam was pointing at the trees and the high beam was pointing at the moon!!! Also its not a well balanced bike and has a front weight bias which can be taxing on your shoulders during rides in heavy traffic. Check out both the one with the fairing and the street fighter version which is identical to the P150/180 in looks but has the 220 engine.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd March 2011 at 20:41.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up on the Yamaha, Ace! Sounds like a really fun bike - and it looks really awesome too! I just wish it came with a round headlight (For that Ducati Monster look )!

Please write about all the other bikes you test-ride!

Last edited by anekho : 23rd March 2011 at 21:00.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:21   #45
BHPian

Hi Ace,

Do check out the GS150R, such a lovely bike. It has got a good engine with respectable BHP and torque figures and rides very well. The bike doesn't get buffeted around in heavy winds and the 6th gear is a boon in highways for cruising. 80Kmph at 6th is bliss and feels as if the bike is tottering in neutral gear.

The engine is relaxed and I get a mileage of 45-50Kmpl even after ripping it to office daily. However it will not give the pickup in the initial stages like the RTR twins, but what is guaranteed is a strong mid range (4-6K rpm). I have topped it at 115Kmph on a deserted highway in the morning and there is no irritating vibrations in the handle bar or foot peg at any RPM bar the mild ones during 3.5K RPM.

The sore point is the service, they took two days to get my bike ready during my last service as they are not having the infrastructure to service a large number of bikes; and the poor headlight, which is adequate but not strong like the TVS ones.

And the TD report was good, think this thread is going to be a guide to all the 150CC's in the market
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote