Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th March 2011, 14:55   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Don't leave out R15 amidst these.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 15:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Now, the budget now seems to be a bit more than 75K ( a few grand more.. is ok too.. but still! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Don't leave out R15 amidst these.
+1. Check out the R15 too. Test it on an open road with little traffic. Revv it past 6.5-7k rpm and then up shift. Feel the difference. Also be informed that the low end torque is not as good as the others that you have tested so far. So you need to work the gears during city rides.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 15:59   #63
BHPian

Hi

I own a Fazer (Cost around 80k OTR Chennai), my dad owns a FZ16 and we had owned Apache and Pulsar earlier. My two cents/inferences/feedback, some of which are very subjective.

1) Fazer is FZ16 with the front fairing. The fairing adds to the look and is useful while driving on windy highways at good speed. It greatly helps with the stability. The steering and seating position are slightly tweaked for comfort over the FZ16. On the flip side, the turning radius is a big let off for city driving and parking.

2) FZ 16 is a better choice for a city bike but the rear set and the riding posture are not that great.

for #1 and #2, 6 adjustable shocks, road grip and breaking are awesome.

3) Apache was great when I first bought it and after 12K on the ODO, it rattled like hell. The worst thing is that the engine vibrates at 4k-6k rpm band where you are most likely to operate. The breaks were great initially but it became worse as time went on. Changing the tyres helped a bit but from my experience, break settings needs to be spot on (It is difficult to get it spot on). Else it will skid like hell. . If you are prone to back pain, better avoid apache. However, for outright performance, 0-60 frills, Apache is the best.

4) Have driven Suzuki GS150 of my friends many times. A good allround bike with good handling. The 6th gear is almost the same as the 5th of Apache/FZ and hence does not provide any superior overdrive. On the flip side, you have 6 gears for speads below 60 which I don't think is neccessary. Secondly was not very happy with the slightly stiffer suspension at the rear

5) Unicorn: The ideal commuter bike with great all round performance but not a great looker. Have not driven the dazzler and hence cannot comment.

6) Would avoid the hunk as it was not advised to me by a family friend who runs one of the HH authorized service centers.

Would suggest
1) Unicorn
2) GS150 if you are looking for commuter bikes or

FZ16 if you like something more trendy.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 25th March 2011 at 16:04. Reason: removing typos
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 16:05   #64

A couple of friends have Unicorn and the one complaint I heard from both is that the rear suspension though great for the rider, had negative reviews from the passengers to be hard especially on longer rides. Do keep it mind while test driving Unicorn.
int3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 16:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
2) FZ 16 is a better choice for a city bike but the rear set and the riding posture are not that great.
Can you elaborate on the riding posture not being great.
When I did a short test ride, the posture was quite relaxed and comfy. May be coming from the RTR i felt that way.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 16:29   #66
BHPian

Hi driverace!

I would suggest for a Hero Honda Hunk for the following reasons:

Pros:

1. Sturdy bike with good road manners.
2. Average depends on the way you ride, but in city I regularly get around 50 kmpl.
3. With the new gimmiks of LED tail lamp, Digital console and rear disk breaks, it is a nice proposition.

Conc:
1. I do not know for how long you plan to keep this bike. So not sure if JV break between Honda and Hero will effect you as a prospective buyer.
2. HeadLights are not something which are strong point of this bike. Would surely need to upgrade.

Apart from HH Hunk, the all new Unicorn Dazzler is a very good bike. Even this has dual disk breaks.

FZ 16 and Apache sure are good bikes too. Have ridden a Apache but somehow do not feel the ride position to be the best. FZ is very sporty but not sure of its average and A**.

Cheers!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 25th March 2011 at 16:30.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 17:27   #67
BHPian

Hello Ace,
Read your review on RTR 180,
As an apache owner, it brought smile to my face while reading the praises, and overall review language even made me giggle as the words used to describe events were "right in place"
Now i agree it has a lot of vibrations in that rpm range, but here is what i would like to share from my 2.5 years experience
1. When you are in urban traffic, the chances are very few where you will go beyond the 4K rpm and stay there, and when you want to ride this beast on highway, it will jump thru 6K range so quickly that you will not even feel it, i mean when i drive it at say 90-100 KMPH it is still steady and your driving posture makes you push it even further with confidence

IMHO you can consider this bike seriously as your budget is also not very high

One problem, which was not mentioned in your review is the front suspension (When you ride on rough patches, you feel like you are riding without front shock absorbers, it is really poor)
I hope to hear more from you

Cheers
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 22:30   #68
BHPian

@ace ,
Dude ,you are checking more bikes than needed ! Just hold on ! List down your preferences , and go for the bike which match those . You will be hell confused at the end .
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 10:53   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post

Would avoid the hunk as it was not advised to me by a family friend who runs one of the HH authorized service centers.
Any particular reasons he asked you to avoid Hunk?
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 11:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
+1. Check out the R15 too. Test it on an open road with little traffic. Revv it past 6.5-7k rpm and then up shift. Feel the difference. Also be informed that the low end torque is not as good as the others that you have tested so far. So you need to work the gears during city rides.
+1 again.
But beware of the riding posture of R15. It has more sportier stance and might put lot of pressure on your wrists and may cause back pain as well. No doubts about the performance of the bike but I would not use it for in-city commuting.
akhil_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 11:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
@ace ,
Dude ,you are checking more bikes than needed ! Just hold on ! List down your preferences , and go for the bike which match those . You will be hell confused at the end .
+1
Don't do too much research or else, you will end up buying something which was, not what your heart intended to buy.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:29   #72
BHPian

Looks like we have found ourselves our in-house test rider for bikes! :P Like others mentioned, it is not good to test ride so many bikes. Narrow down on 3 bikes max. Then, filter them out by doing test rides once again and make sure you take the bikes on a longer route and ride a bit harder. I feel it's either the FZ or the Apache for you
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:53   #73
BHPian

Why exactly is test driving too many bikes not a good idea?

rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 23:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Can you elaborate on the riding posture not being great.
When I did a short test ride, the posture was quite relaxed and comfy. May be coming from the RTR i felt that way.
Abhinav, Yes, it is much more comfortable when you come from the Apache family. However, the riding posture is a bit more sportier(not relaxed) when compared to Unicorn and GS150.

@rishab.k: Our family friend did not mention any specific reasons but his advise was to avoid anything other than Splendor from the HH stable.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 23:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Why exactly is test driving too many bikes not a good idea?

Test driving too many bikes will create lots of confusion. It will not give you clear idea about any bike as you will keep on testing and all bikes have both pros and cons. So preferences should be noted and then shortlist the bikes suitable for one's requirement. For example, say I have to go only for 180 CC categories, and then I will have options like P180, RTR 180. This will make things much simpler. (only my point of view)
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote