Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2016, 23:48   #241
BHPian
 
amrisharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: siliguri/Darj
Posts: 505
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
First part to check is the fuel pump. Especially since you mention it's sounding faint compared to usual. Are the headlights and horn working normally with the new charged battery ? Does it crank normally when you push the starter, or it the cranking feeble ?

One thing I suggest - disconnect the battery and check for loose wiring/connectors, leave the battery disconnected overnight, maybe use the opportunity to charge it overnight and try the next day. This is in case of any residual charge in the system causing the ECU to act up.
Thank you for the advice. I will do what you have mentioned and see what happens. All symptoms point to a weak battery. I will check it out.

The confusing thing is I tried using my battery to start my friends pulsar 220 Carb bike and the battery is good enough to start that bike, but the same battery when used in my 220fi within minutes is only enough to run the fuel pump. I hear the buzz of the fuel pump and then when it stops and I push the start button, nothing happens and the low battery warning comes up. Any idea as to why my bike is demanding so much more power from the battery?

Last edited by amrisharm : 10th January 2016 at 23:49.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 22:06   #242
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 747
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Thank you for the advice. I will do what you have mentioned and see what happens. All symptoms point to a weak battery. I will check it out.

The confusing thing is I tried using my battery to start my friends pulsar 220 Carb bike and the battery is good enough to start that bike, but the same battery when used in my 220fi within minutes is only enough to run the fuel pump. I hear the buzz of the fuel pump and then when it stops and I push the start button, nothing happens and the low battery warning comes up. Any idea as to why my bike is demanding so much more power from the battery?
As I said, verify the battery first, which it appears is not the problem. The P220 does this all the time, the low battery indicator starts blinking in seconds if the ignition is on and any light is on, erring on the conservative side. If the horn is loud like normal, and headlamp glows bright, the battery is likely healthy.

Get the starter relay , starter motor (front of the crankcase) and starter clutch (inside the crankcase to the left) checked. I've had a similar problem and it was due to the starter clutch. Not sure of the exact term though. Motor is around 1.5-1.7k I think.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 00:38   #243
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 189
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
As I said, verify the battery first, which it appears is not the problem. The P220 does this all the time, the low battery indicator starts blinking in seconds if the ignition is on and any light is on, erring on the conservative side. If the horn is loud like normal, and headlamp glows bright, the battery is likely healthy.

Get the starter relay , starter motor (front of the crankcase) and starter clutch (inside the crankcase to the left) checked. I've had a similar problem and it was due to the starter clutch. Not sure of the exact term though. Motor is around 1.5-1.7k I think.

Hi Ricci

I am not sure if you remember me. But I know you through pulsar 220 FI group on orkut. I was one of the mods alongside Venkat sir back in the days of Orkut between 2007-09 before the traction or attraction around orkut slowly started falling off the radar and migrated onto Facebook.

Itís nice to see you here on Team-BHP. I joined in late but will catch up to bhpians pace soon.

Besides, I still own this brilliant piece of machinery but the dependability has certainly reduced to a great extent making it clock just 500kms a year. But I was thinking if the spares are available for this decade old FI unit? Because Iím planning on getting it serviced but I was forced by the service centre guys to switch to carb which I rejected on their face. How are you holding up with this antique?

You still have Zma in your porch?

Your DP makes me rewind back to Orkut days. Nostalgic!

Anyways nice meeting you mate after a very long time.

Thanks,
Guru (RV)
gururajrv is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 14:48   #244
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
But I was thinking if the spares are available for this decade old FI unit? Because I’m planning on getting it serviced but I was forced by the service centre guys to switch to carb which I rejected on their face.
I know the question was directed towards Ricci, but since I saw that you are in the Mys/Blr region I can definitely confirm that bike is very much serviceable.

You mentioned Venkat sir in your post, his place AutoService still services the Fi and can order spares if needed as well. Especially for the electrical/electronics part of the bike I still go to AutoService. For mechanicals, I depend on my local trusted mechs from time to time, but if you have the patience to leave the bike with AutoService for a couple of days they usually do a good job.

PS: Good to see another Fi owner holding onto this ageing machine.

PS: I had forgotten this thread existed, my last post here was 9 years back

Last edited by praful : 26th September 2017 at 14:50.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 16:58   #245
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 189
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I know the question was directed towards Ricci, but since I saw that you are in the Mys/Blr region I can definitely confirm that bike is very much serviceable.

You mentioned Venkat sir in your post, his place AutoService still services the Fi and can order spares if needed as well. Especially for the electrical/electronics part of the bike I still go to AutoService. For mechanicals, I depend on my local trusted mechs from time to time, but if you have the patience to leave the bike with AutoService for a couple of days they usually do a good job.

PS: Good to see another Fi owner holding onto this ageing machine.

PS: I had forgotten this thread existed, my last post here was 9 years back
Thanks Praful. I have visited auto service couple of times. Only problem itís a bit far from the place Iím currently put up. Iím now near Sarjapur Road. Yes, Iíve a mech who helps me fix the bike by usual service through khivraj. But I was wondering if the spares are still available and happy to know itís purely available based on the orders placed.

I will never give up on this bike at any cost - itís been with me through my ups and downs . It completed a decade last month with me but I havenít been riding it very often due to dependency is more on my car now and a lil compulsion to stick to car strictly comes from my better half and mother India!

Anyways, my bikeís completed 57.5k kms till date and is running strong. But I would want to be sure that in case there comes any requirement for injector / fuel filter or any related parts, I would want to be sure Iím covering myself.

Feels good to revive myself talking about bikes and especially 220 FI which I call Classic!

Thanks,
Guru (RV)
gururajrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 17:21   #246
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Thanks Praful. I have visited auto service couple of times. Only problem itís a bit far from the place Iím currently put up.
It is almost as far for me as well, I'm right next door in HSR Layout. But I typically drop off the bike on a Sunday afternoon and collect the next weekend or the weekend whenever the bike is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
But I was wondering if the spares are still available and happy to know itís purely available based on the orders placed.
Common or fast moving spares are usually available off the shelf. But if you blow a slow moving part like the Fuel Pump or ECU then you might have to wait a few weeks for the part to arrive.

At 57K, the only thing you need to be worried about is the health of the bore apart from the usual wearables.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 23:28   #247
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 189
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Do you get pursued by any mechanic forcing or suggesting to switch to carb? That’s really a turn-off if we ever switch to old tech when we’ve already have a taste of this brilliant piece of tech! Somewhere I feel Bajaj could’ve invested more time in after sales service availability along with increased focus on the spares and quality - besides focusing on developing the product to be more stronger instead of rolling back to carb in 2009. DTSI 220 was also a mean machine no doubt. But somewhere I couldn’t convince myself from switching from FI to carb because I bought this machine because it had FI first ever on an Indian bike and the pure crisp power delivery I experienced cannot be explained in words. I was bowled over on its looks when it was first showcased in 2006 auto expo and I had made up my mind for replacing p-150 with its tech laden big brother p-220 alone.

Anyways I can keep going on and on if I talk about this bike. We can connect more often through forum if we ever come across any issues. Glad to meet another FI owner still riding on his 220!

Last edited by bblost : 27th September 2017 at 00:12. Reason: Typo fixed.
gururajrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 07:22   #248
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 362
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

My previous pump went kaput as the bike was lying unused for 2.5 years. What I understood from some old timers was that the 2007 1st lot pumps are not available with bajaj.
Right now, it had a ktm duke pump in it and I have not felt any problems over a recent long ride I did.
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 07:59   #249
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 189
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
My previous pump went kaput as the bike was lying unused for 2.5 years. What I understood from some old timers was that the 2007 1st lot pumps are not available with bajaj.
Right now, it had a ktm duke pump in it and I have not felt any problems over a recent long ride I did.
Good to know at least weíve a real-time replacement for our ride. But surprising to know duke holds an alternative fuel pump. Are dimensions just the same and is a direct fit to our tank?
gururajrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 12:17   #250
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Do you get pursued by any mechanic forcing or suggesting to switch to carb? Thatís really a turn-off if we ever switch to old tech when weíve already have a taste of this brilliant piece of tech! Somewhere I feel Bajaj couldíve invested more time in after sales service availability along with increased focus on the spares and quality - besides focusing on developing the product to be more stronger instead of rolling back to carb in 2009. DTSI 220 was also a mean machine no doubt.
If a mechanic tells me to switch to carb, I switch the mechanic

The Fi was probably a little ahead of its time, and I emphasise on 'little'. Bajaj did not equip and train their service centers well enough to handle the electronics on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
My previous pump went kaput as the bike was lying unused for 2.5 years. What I understood from some old timers was that the 2007 1st lot pumps are not available with bajaj.
Right now, it had a ktm duke pump in it and I have not felt any problems over a recent long ride I did.
My 1st pump was replaced in 2014 and IIRC the pump was pretty much the same. The KTM pump is dimensionally different and won't fit AFAIK. The fuel filter, however, has changed and is similar to the KTM's fuel filter now. Previously the filter had one inlet and exhaust ports, now there are two inlets and one exhaust port.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 23:18   #251
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 747
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Hi Ricci

I am not sure if you remember me. But I know you through pulsar 220 FI group on orkut. I was one of the mods alongside Venkat sir back in the days of Orkut between 2007-09 before the traction or attraction around orkut slowly started falling off the radar and migrated onto Facebook.

Itís nice to see you here on Team-BHP. I joined in late but will catch up to bhpians pace soon.

Besides, I still own this brilliant piece of machinery but the dependability has certainly reduced to a great extent making it clock just 500kms a year. But I was thinking if the spares are available for this decade old FI unit? Because Iím planning on getting it serviced but I was forced by the service centre guys to switch to carb which I rejected on their face. How are you holding up with this antique?

You still have Zma in your porch?

Your DP makes me rewind back to Orkut days. Nostalgic!

Anyways nice meeting you mate after a very long time.

Thanks,
Guru (RV)
Hi Guru,

Nostalgia, in black and white too!
The ZMA is long gone, back in 2008 after a bitter experience with HH's biggest, supposedly best dealer.
Yes, the 220 is still with me and running sort of alright. It does need a little attention, having been under my BIL's use last 6 months - I've upgraded to a Dominar now, and will likely sell the 220. Odo reads around 13k since I changed it due to broken mounts, real running is around 43k km.

I had the fuel pump changed in 2015, still on original injector and ECU, changed the starter relay, batteries and usual wear items of course. As far as service goes, I get it serviced like the carb 220 except for leaving the FI components untouched. Unless there's problem with it, there's no reason to open it. I've been getting my 220 serviced at BK Auto in Pune, and apart from fuel pump replacement, haven't had EFI/ECU/engine opened ever. Maybe mechanics feel like they've not done the job if they didn't fiddle with the carburetor, hence the push to switch.

You must remember Varun Narula, he's on the forum too (@narula123).
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 07:37   #252
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 189
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Guru,

Nostalgia, in black and white too!
The ZMA is long gone, back in 2008 after a bitter experience with HH's biggest, supposedly best dealer

Yes, the 220 is still with me and running sort of alright. It does need a little attention, having been under my BIL's use last 6 months - I've upgraded to a Dominar now, and will likely sell the 220. Odo reads around 13k since I changed it due to broken mounts, real running is around 43k km.

I had the fuel pump changed in 2015, still on original injector and ECU, changed the starter relay, batteries and usual wear items of course. As far as service goes, I get it serviced like the carb 220 except for leaving the FI components untouched. Unless there's problem with it, there's no reason to open it. I've been getting my 220 serviced at BK Auto in Pune, and apart from fuel pump replacement, haven't had EFI/ECU/engine opened ever. Maybe mechanics feel like they've not done the job if they didn't fiddle with the carburetor, hence the push to switch.



You must remember Varun Narula, he's on the forum too (@narula123).
Hi Ricci

Oh! Never knew you sold ZMA way back then! But your pic makes me nostalgic all the time. Both the bikes were termed arch rivals back in the time but youíd both of them. I still remember the posts weíd on the forum and the daily discussion around the niggling issues the first lot faced.

Glad to know your 220 is still around but the dominate has taken prominent spot in your daily commute which is a wonderful bike

Nice to catch up with all the biker brains here Rico, after really a long long time. I do remember Varun as well. My brains reeling back to 2007 days already on Orkut

Letís keep this thread alive for our beloved 220!
gururajrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 17:44   #253
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 4,828 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Please suggest a good tire for Pulsar 220. Both front and rear. Thanks.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 11:33   #254
BHPian
 
LordSharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In Transit
Posts: 57
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please suggest a good tire for Pulsar 220. Both front and rear. Thanks.

There are a couple of brands you can choose from, depending on the budget and quality you seek. MRF and Michelin would be lower on the cost and quality is good. Pirelli would cost more and the quality is much better. It also depends on the city you live, for example, I'm in Bangalore, and sourcing MRF & Michelin tyres was easy. Pirellis are a bit difficult to find.

Now MRF Zappers are factory fitted on the bike. They are decent enough. The sizes are 90/90 x17" (front) and 120/80 x17" (rear). You can easily go up to 100/90 x17" (front) and 130/80 x17" (read).

Here are couple of options you can evaluate

1. Michelin (Pilot sporty are the cheaper ones and Pilot street are the costlier ones)

Front (This is what I have as of now, cost me 1.6K and superb) , Rear

2. Pirelli

Front - Sport Demons are the cheaper Pirellis

Front - Diablo Rossos are the costlier ones.

3. Metzelers- See if you can find the tyres for P220 rim size, I am assuming it could be difficult. 4. MRF Masseters- Worth a try.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:12   #255
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please suggest a good tire for Pulsar 220. Both front and rear. Thanks.
Right now the market isn't that great for the 220 rim size. Unless you have a specific need for the bike, the best bet is to go for the stock MRF's Zapper FS front and Zapper C/Zapper Vyde for the rear.

There are a couple of options for the front, you could choose the R15 V1/V2 front tyre i.e. Zapper FY/FY01 both "fit" and grip very well, however, you run the issue of having a smaller sidewall and thus easily can bend a rim if you take a pot hole at higher speeds. The Pirelli sport demon is another decent option, but is quite difficult to source in the 100/80 size (it does not sell here in the 90/90 size). While the grip is excellent initially, the grip levels drop drastically after 2-4K.

For the rear there are even lesser options, I am presently running the Himalayan rear tyre. This is a good option for touring, if you don't mind the slight drop in acceleration and more importantly loosing out on the benefits of a Tubeless tyre.

If you are willing to pay a fat price for tyres there are better options that you can look at import market scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
There are a couple of brands you can choose from, depending on the budget and quality you seek. MRF and Michelin would be lower on the cost and quality is good. Pirelli would cost more and the quality is much better. It also depends on the city you live, for example, I'm in Bangalore, and sourcing MRF & Michelin tyres was easy. Pirellis are a bit difficult to find.

Now MRF Zappers are factory fitted on the bike. They are decent enough. The sizes are 90/90 x17" (front) and 120/80 x17" (rear). You can easily go up to 100/90 x17" (front) and 130/80 x17" (read).

Here are couple of options you can evaluate

1. Michelin (Pilot sporty are the cheaper ones and Pilot street are the costlier ones)

Front (This is what I have as of now, cost me 1.6K and superb) , Rear

2. Pirelli

Front - Sport Demons are the cheaper Pirellis

Front - Diablo Rossos are the costlier ones.

3. Metzelers- See if you can find the tyres for P220 rim size, I am assuming it could be difficult. 4. MRF Masseters- Worth a try.
Having personally used the Michelin Pilot Sporty, it is a tyre I don't recommend anyone. The only time I've seen the tyre work reasonably well is when the tyre is heated up quite a bit i.e. track days. Any other times, especially in the wet the grip levels are just abysmal.

I've used the Pirelli Sport Demon as well, read my comments above about it.

None of the Metzelers or the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's fit on the 220 rim. Even if you manage to somehow fit them on, they don't seal for long. One slight pothole and they loose air.
praful is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motormaniaís Pulsar 220 DTS-i Ė Initial impressions and long term ownership review Motormania Motorbikes 10 11th May 2016 17:13
Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M abhayshanu Motorbikes 203 1st March 2011 14:27
Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi: Intial owner reviews... CrAzY dRiVeR Motorbikes 31 17th June 2010 15:26
Pulsar 220 DTS-FI Launched at killer price himanshugoswami Motorbikes 48 13th March 2007 14:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks