Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th March 2011, 10:46   #1
BHPian

Default RE Thunderbird handle wobbling

Hey bhpians

I have 2002 RE Thunderbird, recently i met with a small accident in which a bike hit the front tyre of my bike and after that the handle got a little distorted. I got the bike repaired, following repairs were done :

1. T bar below the number plate was welded and trued.
2. Front jumpers trued.
3. Cone set was changed.

After the repairs the handle started wobbling at speeds above 40kmph and the bike goes to left side. It used to go to the left side even before the repairs but the handle did not use to wobble. I went to the guy who does the wheel true, he said the bearings need to be changed as there was some play in the front tyre. I got the bearings changed but still the problem persists. I know the front tyre needs to be trued but can anyone tell me if it will be improved of the front tyre gets trued? I am not able to digest that there is so much wobbling at such a low speed of 50-60 kmph just because the front tyre is not trued.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 10:59   #2
BHPian

Default Re: RE Thunderbird handle wobbling

Please get your front wheel spokes tuned, so that the rim is perfectly aligned on either side, and without any distortion. Also ensure the lining of the tyre is beded correctly in the rims. This will not cost you more than Rs. 40 and would be the easiest way to shortlist the probable causes for this problem.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Agree.
Having had a very similar accident on my RE TB about 5 years back, and apart from doing everything that you have done, and what Bradhey has added, get your Front Shockers checked for their alignment. Also, consider replacing the "T". It never comes back to being really TRUE, with Repairs.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Welding the T-stem wasn't a good idea. It very difficult to get it perfect.
Does the front tyre have uneven wearout (left/right)?
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ Agree.
Having had a very similar accident on my RE TB about 5 years back, and apart from doing everything that you have done, and what Bradhey has added, get your Front Shockers checked for their alignment. Also, consider replacing the "T". It never comes back to being really TRUE, with Repairs.
Shockers were also trued. They are working fine. Can you tell me the cost of T-stem?
Old 30th March 2011, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't recall from 5 years back, buddy. But, the whole job cost me around 8K in those days, which included the Rim, Front Fender, T, Shockers, Cone and some other small components. Like Jeeva said, Re-welding the "T" will not do much good. Secondly, it is very difficult to detect slight bending of the front shockers.
By the way, while you are at it, and getting the "T" replaced, do consider going in for a different "T" that would give your handle somewhat more leaning angle. It makes the bike immensely more fun to ride.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Why was the T stem welded? It broke?

And ask the question in one thread only. It gets a bit difficult to track the answers.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 15:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Welding the T-stem wasn't a good idea. It very difficult to get it perfect.
Does the front tyre have uneven wearout (left/right)?
I don't think so, will check and update soon.

Quote:
Don't recall from 5 years back, buddy. But, the whole job cost me around 8K in those days, which included the Rim, Front Fender, T, Shockers, Cone and some other small components. Like Jeeva said, Re-welding the "T" will not do much good. Secondly, it is very difficult to detect slight bending of the front shockers.
By the way, while you are at it, and getting the "T" replaced, do consider going in for a different "T" that would give your handle somewhat more leaning angle. It makes the bike immensely more fun to ride.
Isn't it necessary to change both the T stems for a different leaning angle?
There are 2 T-stems one is at the handle which is not iron (some other material like aluminium) and one is below the front number plate (iron) from where the bike gets locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why was the T stem welded? It broke?

And ask the question in one thread only. It gets a bit difficult to track the answers.
The iron one was welded, it did not break it got bent.
Old 30th March 2011, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Oh yes, it requires more than only one mod. But, it is totally worth it. But, don't go for anything too fancy if you want to retain the driveability.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Oh yes, it requires more than only one mod. But, it is totally worth it. But, don't go for anything too fancy if you want to retain the driveability.
I think the chassis also needs to be modified to change the rake angle because both the T-stems are joined to the pipe in between which is attached to the chassis. It has to be welded again and i don't think i will go for another welding work (that too on chassis) .
Old 31st March 2011, 09:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^^ That's why I said go in for a slight lean. That can be managed without any major mods. A longer Chopper style job needs a huge number of changes.

In fact if you were in Delhi/Gurgaon, I'd have recommended you to speak to a guy here, who does these jobs beautifully. He runs a business called Metalartzian.

Last edited by roy_libran : 31st March 2011 at 09:35. Reason: Adding content.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
The iron one was welded, it did not break it got bent.
So it wasn't welded. It was heated and banged back in shape.

Change it. Better be safe then live with a wobbly bike.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:26   #13
BHPian

Hey guys, got the issue solved.
I went to guy who does the wheel true, he rotated the wheel and told me there is some problem in bearing. I had got the bearings changed last week only so i went to my mechanic, he said it was because of the disc brake as my disc brake is slightly uneven. I told him to remove the brake callipers and then check, still the vibrations were there then he opened the bearings and they were gone, got them replaced and voila! no vibrations at all. I did not even need a wheel true now, the bike is running smooth now.