Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th April 2011, 12:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )

Hi All,

Happy to share with everyone that i booked the RE TBTS yesterday and expecting to get the delivery on 7th April.

Will Share the experience once i get the delivery.

Regards
Harry
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )

After a lot of contemplation whether i should take the Plunge to tame the Beast or not i took the call and Booked it.

Why Thunderbird ?

Although the entire RE stable is full of mean machines but my personal choice was TBTS due to its looks and the low seating ( not that i'm a short guy - I'm 5'9 )

The new UCE engine with self start and some delicious FE

Why a New One?

Since this was my first foray into the biking/Cruiser Bike world so i wanted a machine which should be single hand driven and should be with the latest technology

Main Objective to buy a TB

Always wanted to get LEH'ed and what's better than to do it on a Bullet

Now come the questions/suggestions

1) Which helmet to buy? Pics to follow - Suggestions needed

2) Leg Guard - Looks & needs to be the best and needs to do what it's meant to do

3) Helmet Lock - Need suggestions

4) Rear Leg Guard - Is it required? I would personally like to go for it.

I'm going to keep the TBTS bone stock as i believe that it's got everything except the things mentioned above

The guy claimed that the Black one parked on the extreme left was for me
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00861201104031711.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00862201104031715.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00863201104031717.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00865201104031726.jpg

Hows the one on the Right?
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00867201104031800.jpg
Old 4th April 2011, 15:11   #3
BHPian

Congrats!

What i find a bit odd is the fact that i booked my Classic 350 in Feb and was told i would only get it in August. Did u pull some strings to get your's faster?

The TB has a waiting of 6-7 months here in BLR.
wanderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 15:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All,

Happy to share with everyone that i booked the RE TBTS yesterday and expecting to get the delivery on 7th April.
Harry

Which showroom did you buy it from in Delhi? Presuming that you are in Delhi.
How was the overall experience?
Were you able to test ride the motorcycles?
I am also interested in buying a Bullet (Had sold of my older bullet 10 yrs back while moving to Delhi). I repented selling it off and dreamed of owning one since then.
rysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Please share the cost break-up also
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harish!!

Black TBTS looks wow in an understated kind of way. Amazed how you are getting delivery so soon.

With regards to the helmet, the one on the left is better. The studds on the right with the glossy finish no doubt looks good initially but will lose out the shine pretty soon.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 16:05   #7
BHPian

Congratulations, Harish!

Suggesting replacing the stock exhaust with the off-roading exhaust that RE offers. If I am not mistaken its with in 2.5K including labour for installation. The exhaust notes are really cool on that exhaust.

Look forward to your ownership report as well as Leh travelogue.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Congrats!

What i find a bit odd is the fact that i booked my Classic 350 in Feb and was told i would only get it in August. Did u pull some strings to get your's faster?

The TB has a waiting of 6-7 months here in BLR.
Before booking the TB yesterday i had visited the showroom to check the waiting period , i booked the bike only after he told me that i would get it within 3 days of booking it. I wanted the delivery on 7th April so booked it on 3rd to keep 1 day as buffer.

Im really hoping to get it on 7th otherwise the next day o n my priority would be 11th March. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysk View Post
Which showroom did you buy it from in Delhi? Presuming that you are in Delhi.
How was the overall experience?
Were you able to test ride the motorcycles?
I am also interested in buying a Bullet (Had sold of my older bullet 10 yrs back while moving to Delhi). I repented selling it off and dreamed of owning one since then.
ESS AAR MOTORS in Jhandewalan Extn near Karol Bagh , this showroom is hardly 4kms from my Place.

OT - I stay very close to Gautam Gambhirs place and also managed to see him today when he arrived at his house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Please share the cost break-up also
Ex showroom - 1,03,414
Road tax , Ins , Regn - 10986
On Road - 1,14,400

Trying for a premium number would cost anywhere b/w 4-10 k more

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats Harish!!

Black TBTS looks wow in an understated kind of way. Amazed how you are getting delivery so soon.

With regards to the helmet, the one on the left is better. The studds on the right with the glossy finish no doubt looks good initially but will lose out the shine pretty soon.
Thanks , can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm still confused about the helmet. May go for 2 of them - Full face and Half both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulations, Harish!

Suggesting replacing the stock exhaust with the off-roading exhaust that RE offers. If I am not mistaken its with in 2.5K including labour for installation. The exhaust notes are really cool on that exhaust.

Look forward to your ownership report as well as Leh travelogue.

Cheers,
Yup there was a guy enquiring about the same when i was booking my vehicle. You're bang on with the price.

I don't think i'll go for it initially ,as i said i'm going to keep it bone stock.
Old 4th April 2011, 17:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations harish on your brand new bike. You have purchased a fantastic bike for highway riding and I am sure you have bought this bike for some long rides only. Keep this thread updated regularly and post some more pictures of the bike.

Happy Touring.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 19:10   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the bike! I've temporarily moved your thread to the Assembly Line Section (More Information about this sub-forum (The "Assembly Line" Forum section)).

Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the bike (the riding experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.). To know more about this rule, and for review guidelines, view this announcement. NOTE : The review guidelines are for a car, but they'll give you a fair idea nevertheless.

Please edit the opening post of this thread and update with a complete riding & ownership report. Pics would be great too! You have the ability to EDIT your post over an indefinite period of time; add more attachments / content / posts to your work-in-progress review thread at your own pace.

Once your thread is complete, you may report the post (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality), and a Team-BHP Moderator will move your thread out to the public forum.

NOTE : After your thread has been taken public, you are permitted to bump it up once to bring it amongst the new post listings.

Thanks for the support!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 03:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

SO finally the D-day arrived and i was as excited as a baby to go get my hands on the royal beast.

6th April 2011 - I myself went to the showroom to ensure/pressurize the showroom guys to get my Beast delivered on 7th of April and was glad that i did it because it had slipped out of their mind that i wanted the delivery on 7th April. After getting a assurance that they would order for the vehicle from their godown in gurgaon i went back home relieved however still gave a call in the evening to ensure/follow up so as to avoid any excuses on the next day

7th April - I called up the showroom at 10:30 am and the dealer asked me to come at about 12:30 pm to take the delivery. Since there was noone at home to accompany me to take the delivery so i took a metro and reached the Showroom but before that i bought the Ninja 3G helmet for Rs 1500 as it was required to take the delivery of the Beast.

My first question after reaching the showroom was "Show me my Beast" and was relieved once he showed it to me in metal.

After doing all the formalities I was directed towards the bike for the mechanic to explain everything about the bike to me.

First Impression

I used the button start and voila the Thumping sound was Music to my ears what with me taking a short ride to see if i was comfortable with the settings that the mechanic had made to the Beast.

Last edited by harishnayak : 19th April 2011 at 04:21. Reason: Addition
Old 27th May 2011, 02:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

So before i go ahead , here is how much i love the number 7 and how luck favored me.
  • Booking slip number - 007
  • Day of Purchase - 7th May
  • Meter reading at delivery time- 7 Kms
  • Registration number - 0077
  • First tank fill - Rs 770
So going back to the story

Delivery Experience -

I guess it's with all the RE showroom guys due to huge customer base in waiting but the customer experience that i had was not too good and not too bad and i would primarily owe it to lack of employees to handle the walk in customers.

Although i was handled nicely but it was a time consuming activity due to other customers already present in the showroom. As i mentioned above as well that i had to almost literally go to showroom/call them everyday in those 4 days waiting period to get the delivery on my desired date. The salesman who handled me was pretty nice but was too stressed i guess which resulted in him not smiling too much

Payment Time -

Since i did not want to run out of cash so i got a small amount financed for which there were some formalities to be done before the delivery which did not take more than an hour.

Thumping time-

The salesman finally got over with all the formalities and it was time for my Beast to thump out of the showroom for the final checks.

Once the mechanic checked everything and cleaned the bike properly he started explaining the features , accessories , processes etc and i was keen to hear him out as this was the 2nd time in my LIFE that i would be riding a RE motorcycle.

There was no rocket science in what he explained however when i asked the following questions he was like " Sir yeh jaan kar aap kuch nahin kar payenge"
  • How can i change the fuse?
  • How can i change the tyre?
  • What is the usage of the different spares in the tool kit?
Although he was correct to an extent however i did not like it the way he told me.

Took a TD and the brake seemed little loose however he mentioned that it would be Ok once you start riding it ( He was correct ) and since i felt everything was OK so i took the delivery handed him Rs 100 and left for home.

First On Road Experience

The first thing on my mind was to feed the tank and before that i went to Hanuman Mandir , Birla temple & Bangla Sahib Gurudwara ( Just passed these temples/Gurudwaras )

Got the TBTS tanked till the neck and rode back home as i had to go to work in the night shift.

Here are some pictures from the time of the delivery

Mechanic doing last minute check ups
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00899201104071400.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00900201104071400.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00902201104071406.jpg

Mechanic explaining the FUSE replacement to me
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00903201104071417.jpg

Tool kit Demo
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00904201104071420.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00905201104071429.jpg

Delivery KM Reading 0007
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00906201104071430.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00907201104071448.jpg

The proud Owner on the Bird
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00908201104071448.jpg

Last edited by harishnayak : 27th May 2011 at 02:50.
Old 27th May 2011, 03:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Post Purchase Usage/Experience

Got the Pooja Done for the Vehicle on very next day

Now I was so much in love with this thumping machine that it was all over my FB & also i was riding it across Delhi without any reason and at the same time was enjoying the attention that i was getting from other bikers.

Now i have to Admit that the TBTS had some road presence and specially when you're royally thumping on the left side of the road at speeds of 50kmph.

Considering the Delhi weather which was touching 40's it was almost impossible for me to go to office on it and enter all sweaty so i decided to ride it early morning everyday to quickly clock the Kms and reach 500 km mark and get the first service done.

On the very 2nd day i hit the Jaipur highway after almost thumping across Delhi , went till Manesar , had a burger at Mc'd and returned back with about 130 kms on the ODO.

Accessories -

Got the following accessories installed for my Bird from Karol Bagh
  • Leg Guard
  • Helmet lock
  • Seat cover
  • Sipper Holder
Some realizations -
  • Fuel - Reached home after 130 kms and the fuel needle had not even budged
  • T-shirt - The white T-shirt that i wore had almost gone black which i realised only after reaching home.
  • Feeling - Priceless
After the initial usage the next week went by with only about 250 kms on the ODO and then finally managed to clock the 500 kms on the 17th Day.

The first service was scheduled at 500kms and got it done from the Maya puri outlet which took about 2-3 hours and about Rs 650 for the oil change.

Here is what the Service booklet said

4 Free services
  • 1st Service - 500 Kms
  • 2nd Service - 3000 Kms
  • 3rd Service - 6000 kms
  • 4th Service - 9000 Kms
The allowed speeds after the 500kms mark is upto 70kmph however i was excited enough to do till 100 and loved it too - Not sure if this was a wise decision to take.

Concerns
  • Had initial issues in changing gears ( I guess it was me and not the bike )
  • Initial pick up is not too good
  • There are rubber holding compartment which have gone loose - Bad explanation but would explain with pictures
  • Rusting -Spotted rusts at multiple locations
Registration Number - 0077

I had a long time longing for a VIP number but never bothered to get one for my previous vehicles however this time i decided to go for it and inquired about the same with the dealer.

The dealer told me that they can direct me to an individual who can get that done for me and upon calling him i figured out that i would have to cough up about 6K for the number of my choice and no prizes for guessing that i did not even blink my eyelid before taking the call and asked him to get 0077 for me.

He asked me to pay the sum of 6K at the time of delivery and that he would get the number for me. I did the same and got the number in about 10 days time however kept riding the Beast in Temp number for exactly a month cos i wanted the number to pasted on 7th May

Mileage

Now comes the real burner. After getting a tank full and keeping the trip meter at 0 i waited till the bike went on reserve again and to my SURPRISE it returned me a whooping 45 kmpl..I was like WOW.

The second tankfull however returned me 40kmpl and currently i'm waiting for the 3rd tankful to get over before i can gauge the impact of the 1sr Free service that my Birdie went through

Longest Ride so far

Joined a Bullet riders group call India Bull Riders and 50 of us Thumped all the way to Kanak Garden water resort in Murthal - This is where i touched 100 kmph at multiple locations and loved the ride all the way to and back from there.

Current status

Oh i forgot to mention that i've christened my TBTS as " BIRDIE " and almost all my friends colleauges call me by that name as i'm obsessed with the Machine to the CORE.

KMS Done so far - 1200

Here are some pictures of BIRDIE going through the above description

Sipper Holder - I love it..Its simply Awesome
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00021201104241324.jpg

Name:  IMG00080201104291755.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  103.0 KB

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00081201104291756.jpg
Seat cover
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00082201104291756.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00909201104071531.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00913201104071606.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00914201104071607.jpg

Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00920201104080807.jpg
Getting the traditional POOJA Done at our Temple
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00929201104080836.jpg
About 25 Bullets along with BIRDIE at a meet
Name:  IMG00950201104101000.jpg
Views: 5193
Size:  116.7 KB
Leg guard being installed
Booked the Royal Beast - TBTS ( Ownership report )-img00963201104101211.jpg

Last edited by harishnayak : 27th May 2011 at 05:09. Reason: Addition
Old 30th May 2011, 23:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

This weekend i had occassion where i had to take the bike out instantaneously and did not have enough time to let the engine warm up. So far i've been following what the dealer told me - which was to keep the engine at idle for about a minute or 2 before riding so that the oil flows properly in the engine and lubricate it properly.

However i tried riding w/o doing that and faced jerks for quite some time before the bike started to move normally.

Would it affect the engine if i don't let it idle when i start it for the first time on a particular day?
Old 31st May 2011, 00:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
This weekend i had occassion where i had to take the bike out instantaneously and did not have enough time to let the engine warm up. So far i've been following what the dealer told me - which was to keep the engine at idle for about a minute or 2 before riding so that the oil flows properly in the engine and lubricate it properly.

However i tried riding w/o doing that and faced jerks for quite some time before the bike started to move normally.

Would it affect the engine if i don't let it idle when i start it for the first time on a particular day?
No it will not.
Though its nice to let the engine idle for 1-2 mins before starting off.
It wont hurt the engine,not in this hot weather at least.
So when are you riding out to the Himalayas?
and yeah Congrats
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote