Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th October 2013, 18:51   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Procured this oil from some outside shop (looks genuine?) for Rs. 210 and got the engine oil replaced. I was not getting time to take the bike to SVC and get service done so just changed the engine oil, lubricated levers/chain oiling etc for Rs. 230 all done in 15 mins.

I don't know how Hero recommends 6000KMs oil change when ZMA owners change every 2000 KMs. (third pic)

Rest there are no issues with the bike; current ODO reading 18050KMs and mileage is around 36-38KMPL.

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag0628.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag0629.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag0630.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 14th October 2013 at 18:53.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 14:08   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I don't know how Hero recommends 6000KMs oil change when ZMA owners change every 2000 KMs.
What they recommend is 6000 kms oil drain and every 2000 kms top-up.

But my question is the oil level will not dip right?! So what is the quantity that a customer would top-up, 100-200 ml may be?!

I can't keep the oil till 6000 kms as it feels horrible and rough. I change the oil every 2000 kms.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 10:35   #168
BHPian

I am having an issue which I just discovered today.

I am using Pirelli SD 110/90 on my Karizma for the last 500 kms or so. I realized that the tire is touching the swing arm because of which a part of my tires edge have eaten off. What can I do about it ?

Also can I use this tire or do I need to buy another one. If you see a P-SD, the part where the side walls meet the treads, it is actually protruding out a bit to give it a fatter look. That's the part which has eaten off a bit.

Please advice.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 11:36   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am having an issue which I just discovered today.

I am using Pirelli SD 110/90 on my Karizma for the last 500 kms or so. I realized that the tire is touching the swing arm because of which a part of my tires edge have eaten off. What can I do about it ?

Also can I use this tire or do I need to buy another one. If you see a P-SD, the part where the side walls meet the treads, it is actually protruding out a bit to give it a fatter look. That's the part which has eaten off a bit.

Please advice.
Lol. We are in the same boat with the same bike but different tyres.

My Karizma R is on Michelin M45 (110/90 x18) and it had been rubbing itself to the chain cover and swingarm. I am planning to get rid of the chain cover. Though now it doesn't rib the swing arm as the side wall point that touches had worn out to be Ok. Was initial worried as great would build up by the tyre has held up good. 23K in 4 yrs.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 00:26   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lol. We are in the same boat with the same bike but different tyres.

My Karizma R is on Michelin M45 (110/90 x18) and it had been rubbing itself to the chain cover and swingarm. I am planning to get rid of the chain cover. Though now it doesn't rib the swing arm as the side wall point that touches had worn out to be Ok. Was initial worried as great would build up by the tyre has held up good. 23K in 4 yrs.

Anurag.
It wasn't the swing arm actually. My bad. It was the rod/arm connecting the rear drums to the frame. I had a few washers placed where it was screwed on to the drums which made the rod come out a bit. Now its not rubbing the tyre. The negative point, I have to keep checking if the bolt is tight or not, because the pin which was there could not be fit anymore.

I now have a different query here. I realized I am maybe a little harsh with this bike and use it at high RPMs. Its mostly always over 5-6k RPM because either I use it mostly on highways or when I take her out in the city I use the roads which lets me pelt. I never red line though. So was thinking of shifting to synthetic oil. Right now I change the oil every 750 kms or less.

Which is the best synthetic oil suited for the ZMA ?
Its just 3400 kms old, so is it advisable to shift to synthetic now or should I wait for some time more ? The bike had a proper run in as specified by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 9th December 2013 at 00:28.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:53   #171
BHPian

Quote:
So was thinking of shifting to synthetic oil. Right now I change the oil every 750 kms or less.

Stick to the mineral oils.
One of the research work mentioned here on team-bhp states that there is hardly any difference in oil especially if you are not using the bike for racing. Already changing the oil at 750 kms is an overkill!!!

Replace the oil at 2000 kms. What matters most is the change of Engine oil filter everytime you change your oil. Because for Honda bikes the engine oil filter is not located outside conveniently hardly any mechanic changes the same.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:06   #172
BHPian

Quote:
It wasn't the swing arm actually. My bad. It was the rod/arm connecting the rear drums to the frame. I had a few washers placed where it was screwed on to the drums which made the rod come out a bit. Now its not rubbing the tyre. The negative point, I have to keep checking if the bolt is tight or not, because the pin which was there could not be fit anymore.

I now have a different query here. I realized I am maybe a little harsh with this bike and use it at high RPMs. Its mostly always over 5-6k RPM because either I use it mostly on highways or when I take her out in the city I use the roads which lets me pelt. I never red line though. So was thinking of shifting to synthetic oil. Right now I change the oil every 750 kms or less.

Its just 3400 kms old, so is it advisable to shift to synthetic now or should I wait for some time more ? The bike had a proper run in as specified by the manufacturer.
Its the connecting rod of the rear brake.You need to bend it a bit and put in a washer.There are people who run on 120s as well.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:37   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had this problem and moreover the tyre has a few cracks on it so changed both the Front and Rear tyre to Michelin Sirac Street (100/90 x 18). Both tyres costed me 3K incl fitting charges.

Quote:
My advice please stick to Mineral oil. Synthetic oil doesn't make sense.

Use Motul 3000 (20W40 or 15W40), it is a mineral one that I use and keep changing oil every 2000 kms. Check the oil filter and change it too with the air filter.

I change the oil + oil filter + air filter every 2000 kms.

750 kms change interval is to short even if your ripping it.

Quote:
Which is the best synthetic oil suited for the ZMA ? Its just 3400 kms old, so is it advisable to shift to synthetic now or should I wait for some time more ? The bike had a proper run in as specified by the manufacturer.
Old 9th December 2013, 16:50   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right now I change the oil every 750 kms or less.
Change interval of 750 Kms is way too less. You are wasting money + fresh oil as well.

Change after every 2000KMs only and stick to mineral oil.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 18:06   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Stick to the mineral oils.
One of the research work mentioned here on team-bhp states that there is hardly any difference in oil especially if you are not using the bike for racing. Already changing the oil at 750 kms is an overkill!!!

Replace the oil at 2000 kms. What matters most is the change of Engine oil filter everytime you change your oil. Because for Honda bikes the engine oil filter is not located outside conveniently hardly any mechanic changes the same.
Quote:

My advice please stick to Mineral oil. Synthetic oil doesn't make sense.

Use Motul 3000 (20W40 or 15W40), it is a mineral one that I use and keep changing oil every 2000 kms. Check the oil filter and change it too with the air filter.

750 kms change interval is to short even if your ripping it.
Quote:
Change interval of 750 Kms is way too less. You are wasting money + fresh oil as well.

Change after every 2000KMs only and stick to mineral oil.
Actually, I hardly use the bike. I ride it for hardly 1k kms in 3 months and its time for servicing. I have the oil changed then. When riden, it is used for 250-300 kms in one shot mostly highway runs. Now since I am out with people with a Duke and CBR 250, I need to maintain a speed of over 100 kmph on the highways to keep up. I don't want to her to go through pain, so whatever reduces that. If its new oil that helps, so be it.

Even for my esteem, I have the oil/oil filter changed every 3k kms.
Old 9th December 2013, 18:25   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Actually, I hardly use the bike. I ride it for hardly 1k kms in 3 months and its time for servicing. I have the oil changed then. When riden, it is used for 250-300 kms in one shot mostly highway runs. Now since I am out with people with a Duke and CBR 250, I need to maintain a speed of over 100 kmph on the highways to keep up. I don't want to her to go through pain, so whatever reduces that. If its new oil that helps, so be it.

I am also just the same type of usage of the bike but no ripping it whatsoever.

I can understand your love for the machine but it doesn't make sense to change oil so frequently.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 18:28   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to be blunt! but thats sheer wastage and a burden on mother earth. Just think about the used oil, its so difficult to dispose it of in an environmentaly friendly way. Just think over it.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 20:07   #178
Senior - BHPian

And Hero Honda recommends 6000KMs oil change interval for Karizma!
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 21:08   #179
BHPian

Quote:

Do you change the air filter at every 2000 km? Will cleaning by pressurized air won't do? Oil filter should be replaced alongwith oil but air filters do not need so frequent replacement IMO.
100kmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 21:35   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And Hero Honda recommends 6000KMs oil change interval for Karizma!
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Do you change the air filter at every 2000 km? Will cleaning by pressurized air won't do? Oil filter should be replaced alongwith oil but air filters do not need so frequent replacement IMO.
Yes buddy I change all the three at a time. Have been following the same since I bought the bike in 2009.

Anurag.