Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 22:48   #106
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
For how much they took back your old battery?

They reduced 100 from the Exide battery price and gave it!

Anurag!
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 18:06   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,810
Thanked: 1,845 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Got Exide Xtreme zero maintenance battery for Rs. 1200 after returning the old battery. Warranty period is 18 months. Self starter is now firing the engine with just a notch of the starter button.

The guy checked my old battery by shorting both terminals using a wire and water was coming out of two cells which means two cells are not working.

I was looking for Amco but was not available anywhere near my area.

Now this battery is labelled as zero maintenance and the person told me that there is no need to add water ever in this battery unlike the stock amco battery. Is this true? Also he has not connected the overflow pipe with this battery stating that battery is sealed?

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag2333.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag2334.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th March 2013 at 18:10.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 18:43   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Got Exide Xtreme zero maintenance battery for Rs. 1200 after returning the old battery. Warranty period is 18 months. Self starter is now firing the engine with just a notch of the starter button.

The guy checked my old battery by shorting both terminals using a wire and water was coming out of two cells which means two cells are not working.

I was looking for Amco but was not available anywhere near my area.

Now this battery is labelled as zero maintenance and the person told me that there is no need to add water ever in this battery unlike the stock amco battery. Is this true? Also he has not connected the overflow pipe with this battery stating that battery is sealed?
Congrats bluevolt for the New battery and life for the bike. Isn't it a peace of mind now since all is well?!

Connect the battery breather tube/overflow pipe even if it is a maintenance free.

The mechanic where I got my battery changed says even if it is a maintenance free check for the distilled water level every two months and top-up if necessary.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 20:18   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congrats bluevolt for the New battery and life for the bike. Isn't it a peace of mind now since all is well?!

Connect the battery breather tube/overflow pipe even if it is a maintenance free.

The mechanic where I got my battery changed says even if it is a maintenance free check for the distilled water level every two months and top-up if necessary.

Anurag.
@Anurag: How do you check for the distilled water level inside the battery? Where and how will you topup the battery with the water? The batteries are sealed and once opened, cannot be re-sealed without professional help unlike a non-maintenance-free battery.

I have been using a maintanence-free battery in my Stunner and its over 3 years now. No need of any checking or topping up anything. It just keeps working until one day when it will begin to lose charge and then its time for changing it. My friend's battery has lasted for over 6 years and its still working well.

The reason for maintenance-free batteries lasting for so long is that they are slower in charging and discharging rates. Car batteries are "usually" not maintenance-free because they charge must faster and discharge must faster too. Although, technology is improving and nowadays, car batteries do come in maintenance-free packaging too. The acid-electrolyte gets absorbed into the separator plates, so they don't spill. Besides, they are also filled with a gel-like substance which is part-distilled water, part something-else which I don't know what. But nothing spills out anywhere.

Any other battery experts can also contribute here pls?

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 22:45   #110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

@Anurag: How do you check for the distilled water level inside the battery? Where and how will you topup the battery with the water? The batteries are sealed and once opened, cannot be re-sealed without professional help unlike a non-maintenance-free battery.

I have been using a maintanence-free battery in my Stunner and its over 3 years now. No need of any checking or topping up anything. It just keeps working until one day when it will begin to lose charge and then its time for changing it. My friend's battery has lasted for over 6 years and its still working well.

The reason for maintenance-free batteries lasting for so long is that they are slower in charging and discharging rates. Car batteries are "usually" not maintenance-free because they charge must faster and discharge must faster too. Although, technology is improving and nowadays, car batteries do come in maintenance-free packaging too. The acid-electrolyte gets absorbed into the separator plates, so they don't spill. Besides, they are also filled with a gel-like substance which is part-distilled water, part something-else which I don't know what. But nothing spills out anywhere.

Any other battery experts can also contribute here pls?

Prajwal
Ohh if that is the case i am sorry for the wrong information. Gurus please help with the issues
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 23:32   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,810
Thanked: 1,845 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

I guess there is a confusion between the zero maintenance batteries which are completely sealed and ultra low maintenance batteries which do require top up once in a year or when the level drops.

The battery which I got today is sealed as it does not have a breather opening unlike conventional batteries.

Experts please chip in!
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 00:00   #112
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess there is a confusion between the zero maintenance batteries which are completely sealed and ultra low maintenance batteries which do require top up once in a year or when the level drops.

The battery which I got today is sealed as it does not have a breather opening unlike conventional batteries.

Experts please chip in!
The exide battery that I have bought does have a breather tube which he attached after fixing it but I don't see any place for checking the distilled water level or for the matter top up.

Will check my battery and revert tomorrow.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th March 2013 at 00:02.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 19:46   #113
BHPian
 
Divya Sharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 314
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Maintenance free batteries (sealed type) must never be opened for any reason whatsoever. There's no need to monitor their condition either. Plug n play. They'll give indications well in advance before dying out.
Divya Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 12:20   #114
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 381
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess there is a confusion between the zero maintenance batteries which are completely sealed and ultra low maintenance batteries which do require top up once in a year or when the level drops.

The battery which I got today is sealed as it does not have a breather opening unlike conventional batteries.

Experts please chip in!
As far as I know, the zero maintenance ones or the MF as they are popularly called, just have to be charged at regular intervals, thats all. No need of top up as they are dry and on a stretch last their warranty out! The one you got is the one which gets fitted on the ZMR as well. Why didn't you try the Amaron 9ah Beta or the Bosch 9ah one? Way superior batteries than Amco and Exide and they speed up the crank, its a delight to hear Since they are little taller than wide, the outer rod which holds the battery has to be bent and a little longer nut has to be installed at the end. Next time you do, go for these. And you wont come back for anything else!
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 20:00   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

As far as I know, the zero maintenance ones or the MF as they are popularly called, just have to be charged at regular intervals, thats all. No need of top up as they are dry and on a stretch last their warranty out! The one you got is the one which gets fitted on the ZMR as well. Why didn't you try the Amaron 9ah Beta or the Bosch 9ah one? Way superior batteries than Amco and Exide and they speed up the crank, its a delight to hear Since they are little taller than wide, the outer rod which holds the battery has to be bent and a little longer nut has to be installed at the end. Next time you do, go for these. And you wont come back for anything else!
I guess bluevolt didn't want to tamper with the fitting of the batteries of 9Ah.

Even I was thinking for a 9 Ah Amaron but later dropped it as they didn't have any stock and driving with a dead battery was making my heart weaker. So went and bought an Exide 7 Ah.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 20:14   #116
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Hi buddy!

Is your bike running on the stock MRF tires? Clocked how many miles till date?

How do you find the handling per say the stock setup?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 00:18   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,810
Thanked: 1,845 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hi buddy!

Is your bike running on the stock MRF tires? Clocked how many miles till date?

How do you find the handling per say the stock setup?

Anurag.

Yes they are stock tyres and ODO is somewhere near to 17,000 KMs.

Handling is fine as such for day to day commuting.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 11:55   #118
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 381
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes they are stock tyres and ODO is somewhere near to 17,000 KMs.

Handling is fine as such for day to day commuting.
Matey, I highly recommend you do away the normal tyres for the new tubeless MRF/Duro or Michelin ones. Way better handling and dynamics than the stock setup.

Also, if anyone needs the Amaron batteries in Mumbai, drop me a pm. Will get you the best deal
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:05   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Yes they are stock tyres and ODO is somewhere near to 17,000 KMs.

Handling is fine as such for day to day commuting.
Are you upgrading by any chance? If yes look into Michellin M45 (110/90 x 18). Straight fit and it cost me Rs 2000 and I love the composed feel and straight line stability. You loose in mileage but its ok if you accept the gain on handling terms.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 22:20   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 316
Thanked: 540 Times
Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Hi bluevolt,
Many thanks for sharing this amazing ownership review with all of us. Even I am planning to buy a new Karizma R.

Can you please give an update on the current fuel efficiency figures of your ride.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: Hero Karizma, Karizma ZMR production stopped Aditya Motorbikes 45 21st November 2016 11:36
Long Term Ownership Report Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold! a4anurag Motorbikes 116 11th July 2016 14:10
Need some help buying a 2nd hand Hero Honda Karizma... mrstyx Motorbikes 8 4th May 2009 16:18
new hero honda karizma 180 noidaboy Motorbikes 14 28th December 2006 11:05
Hero Honda Karizma for sale drifter Shifting gears 0 11th December 2006 21:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks