Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th April 2013, 11:12   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

My Karizma R has done roughly 1500 KM's in the past 50 days and as of now I am getting FE of 35 to 38.

Almost all of my driving is in City, though I start late for work and leave for home also late, so am able to avoid the traffic.
snowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 17:49   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Hi bluevolt,
Many thanks for sharing this amazing ownership review with all of us. Even I am planning to buy a new Karizma R.

Can you please give an update on the current fuel efficiency figures of your ride.
I am constantly getting 35-42KMPL from the bike depending on my riding pattern.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:28   #123
BHPian

Hi bluevolt,
Pardon my ignorance but just saw that Karizma doesn't have crash guards. Now my mind was set on this bike but because of no factory fitted crash guards i am now in a dilemma whether to go for this bike or not.
Crash guards not only save our legs during a fall but also prevent damage to the bike in a great extent.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 01:32   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi bluevolt,
Pardon my ignorance but just saw that Karizma doesn't have crash guards. Now my mind was set on this bike but because of no factory fitted crash guards i am now in a dilemma whether to go for this bike or not.
Crash guards not only save our legs during a fall but also prevent damage to the bike in a great extent.
Hope I can answer this on behalf of Bluevolt.

Yes the Karizma doesn't have a crash guard from factory but this can be done outside. You may have to remove the premium sports engine cover and fit the desired crash guard.

No, You want that engine guard but still have the crash guard, then, get a single bar fixed between the engine cover and top fairing. I have many friends who have done this modification but no instance of fairing damage or front fender damage upon heavy disc usage.

Regards,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 20:55   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hope I can answer this on behalf of Bluevolt.

Yes the Karizma doesn't have a crash guard from factory but this can be done outside. You may have to remove the premium sports engine cover and fit the desired crash guard.

No, You want that engine guard but still have the crash guard, then, get a single bar fixed between the engine cover and top fairing. I have many friends who have done this modification but no instance of fairing damage or front fender damage upon heavy disc usage.

Regards,
Anurag.
Thanks, but still a bit concerned how well this after market work will serve its need.

Why would Hero give preference to looks over safety, or should I blame Hero Honda. I mean they should have provided the crash guards right from the first gen Karizma and on a positive note they could have counted the change in color of the crash guards as a saperate update on their every so called 'new versions'
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 21:17   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but still a bit concerned how well this after market work will serve its need.

Why would Hero give preference to looks over safety, or should I blame Hero Honda. I mean they should have provided the crash guards right from the first gen Karizma and on a positive note they could have counted the change in color of the crash guards as a saperate update on their every so called 'new versions'
Buddy if you are concerned then why don't you remove the engine guard and install an OEM guard for Achiever or Unicorn or any commuter bike from the Hero stable. Hope the clamping points are common for all bikes.

Regards,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 11:32   #127
BHPian

Hi guys,

My ZMA has clocked about 2300 kms. During the run-in I never crossed 4k rpm. However now when am quite aggressive, there is a kind of khat-khat noise after 5k RPM from the engine. Is that normal ? The pick up of the bike is fine and am getting around 35km/liter.

I had taken it to the service center and they said there was little noise from the taped after the bike gets hot. They supposedly adjusted it. But its still there.
Please advice.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 17:09   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Hi bluevolt,
Understandably there is a potential danger when we don't see our bikes fitted with crash guard. In ZMA, they had not provided rather came with engine guard, I really don't know what's the real purpose other than just show-off. Infact it delays the engine cooling.

Let me come to leg guard. I heard that Honda Stunner can be fitted without much discomfort to the design. However, you'll have remove the engine guard.

There will be some unusual protrusion seen and might not gel with the look, but thinking of safety we can compromise a little bit. But, having said this, you can also go buy a straight crash bar just like in Yamaha RX series and plonk on to the bike. Yes, I have it on my ZMA. Trust me it is compact, helps to minimize the impact from the crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-imag0054zma.jpg  

SriramEfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 04:25   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
I really don't know what's the real purpose other than just show-off. Infact it delays the engine cooling.
The engine guard is mainly for style and to enhance the looks/stance of the bike and it does its job well. If you look at the design of the guard the inner area directs air towards the engine, even the slats at the base too direct air towards the engine.

I remember reading somewhere saying the bike was designed in the wind tunnel, not sure whether its the first model or the R model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
But, having said this, you can also go buy a straight crash bar just like in Yamaha RX series and plonk on to the bike. Yes, I have it on my ZMA. Trust me it is compact, helps to minimize the impact from the crash.
I too suggest the same type of crash bar if one doesn't want to remove the engine guard and the single bar doesn't hamper the looks.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:51   #130
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a thread/post on XBHP where a member has done the crash guard retrofitting from Honda Stunner's crash guard IIRC. Please search on XBHP's Karizma thread, you will get the complete procedure on how to fit the crash guard without removing engine cover. I will post the link I could find.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th May 2013 at 14:54.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 17:27   #131
BHPian

Not the right thread for the question that I have but it is the latest active Karizma Thread, so here goes.

My Karizma stops when it starts to rain, now this sounds amusing but is really irritating when you are driving in the rains and the engine just goes kaput.

After repeatedly trying to button start it, it sometimes responds and starts only to splutter to death after some time.

The journey of 20 minutes from work to office and back home gets converted to 90 minutes of agony and irritation.

Any pointers why this might be happening, I gave it for servicing and the guy said he was never able to reproduce the issue so I gave it to another Hero Dealer today.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:49   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
Not the right thread for the question that I have but it is the latest active Karizma Thread, so here goes.

My Karizma stops when it starts to rain, now this sounds amusing but is really irritating when you are driving in the rains and the engine just goes kaput.

After repeatedly trying to button start it, it sometimes responds and starts only to splutter to death after some time.

The journey of 20 minutes from work to office and back home gets converted to 90 minutes of agony and irritation.

Any pointers why this might be happening, I gave it for servicing and the guy said he was never able to reproduce the issue so I gave it to another Hero Dealer today.
Does this happens only when it is pouring or it happens later on also? I suspect water entering in fuel tank or spark plug area or some crucial wiring harness. Get it checked.

Or it may be an airlock problem which sometimes happen when fuel lid is covered with water? I have experienced this in my bike as bike won't start after rain and I have to remove the fuel cap and place it back again.

I can think of these reasons only.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:06   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Does this happens only when it is pouring or it happens later on also? I suspect water entering in fuel tank or spark plug area or some crucial wiring harness. Get it checked.

Or it may be an airlock problem which sometimes happen when fuel lid is covered with water? I have experienced this in my bike as bike won't start after rain and I have to remove the fuel cap and place it back again.

I can think of these reasons only.
The bike stalls as soon as it starts raining. I had given it for routine servicing during which they cleaned the carburetor and also said that water has not entered the tank.

As for removing the lid and putting it back on again does get it started but I do not think doing that is the solution since it is infeasible when it is raining.

I have a feeling that this has got something to do with some electrical part which gets affected when it starts raining since the bike runs just fine otherwise.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a feeling that this has got something to do with some electrical part which gets affected when it starts raining since the bike runs just fine otherwise.

Then water must be entering some electricals like near spark plug etc.
Old 12th June 2013, 23:42   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Is it something to with any kind of air lock happening through the fuel tank? How does the engine feel? Is like short of fuel supply?

Do you find water inside the seat once it starts raining? May be water is seeping in lightly through air filter box. Check the CDI and the wiring once which sits on the right side of the rear cowl.

Anurag.