Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Old 21st February 2013, 20:46   #31
SAS
BHPian

Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I found this website for simple CNG cost savings calculation vs Petrol:

http://www.mahanagargas.com/CNGCalcu...&lKey=Mw%3d%3d
Nice.. pretty accurate. I wish Mahanagar gas also bothered to update the list of CNG outlets... Also more outlets / dispensing units at current outlets are required to reduce the queues...
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 01:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have given my Santro to Suraj auto gas. I'll be getting the car back on Monday. I'll post a detailed report then.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 18:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I have given my Santro to Suraj auto gas. I'll be getting the car back on Monday. I'll post a detailed report then.
Hi did you get your car? How's the performance on CNG and how much did it cost to convert it?
Waiting for a report.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:33   #34
BHPian

I had gone to Suraj AutoGas last week for a check-up of my CNG system. But I guess I'll stick to the guy from whom I got it installed since I have more faith in the installer from whom I got it done (No offences meant to anyone) .

Without dropping any names - I didn't find the people whom I interacted with, really professional.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 01:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hi did you get your car? How's the performance on CNG and how much did it cost to convert it?
Waiting for a report.
I was waiting to spend more time with the car before posting a report. There is a drop in performance with cng but tbh its not a big deal in bumper to bumper traffic. I have paid 31k so for an open loop lovato cng kit so far. Ill post a more detailed report after spending more time with the car
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:55   #36
BHPian

My Civic has done almost 4000 Kms after the installation of CNG Kit from Suraj Auto Gas. The results are amazing. The Avg FE per KG of CNG has been between 14.35-15.70 Kms. This FE is calculated based on my monthly usage and the total CNG used so this seems to be pretty accurate. So the per km running cost is between 2.16-2.36 Rs per Km which I think is phenomenal. Even if I add 0.50 to 0.75 Rs per Km for Petrol cost ( as the car runs on petrol after every start) then also total cost will be less than 3 Rs per Km. This translates into minimum savings of Rs 5 per km vs the petrol cost. With this I should be able to cover the cost of installation in flat 11k Km.This was all about costing and FE now about performance.
With sequential kit and the quality of work done by them I must say it's very difficult to find out if the Car is running on Petrol or on CNG. The car is totally smooth as if there is no difference on petrol or on cng. The RPM is steady no fluctuations with or without AC.
In case if someone is thinking of getting CNG installed then probably this is the place to be.
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:09   #37
BHPian

Thats good. My ohc 1.5 exi automatic has done 13000kms on cng and i'm absolutely happy with it. I spend 300 bucks every other day or till the car completes about 150-170kms per 9 kg fill or so , and being chauffeur riven and absolutely no headaces of going in crowded bombay places wheee scratches dents etc is a bothering. .its absolute practical headace free joy btw I got my installation in vashi from a good guy !

For this 13k kms I would have spent 13000x8rs=104000 on petrol without realising

But on cng I have spent 13000x2rs=26000 on gas.

Plus I m proud CNG user that I have polluted the environment relatively less (I hope)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th April 2013 at 07:30. Reason: extra emoticon removed
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Thats good. My ohc 1.5 exi automatic has done 13000kms on cng and i'm absolutely happy with it. I spend 300 bucks every other day or till the car completes about 150-170kms per 9 kg fill or so , and being chauffeur riven and absolutely no headaces of going in crowded bombay places wheee scratches dents etc is a bothering. .its absolute practical headace free joy btw I got my installation in vashi from a good guy !

For this 13k kms I would have spent 13000x8rs=104000 on petrol without realising

But on cng I have spent 13000x2rs=26000 on gas.

Plus I m proud CNG user that I have polluted the environment relatively less (I hope)
Are you running a sequential kit or closed loop? What are the highway mileage figures for your city?
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post

Are you running a sequential kit or closed loop? What are the highway mileage figures for your city?
I have sequential kit. On highway with 325rs worth gas I can travel 200kms.
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:15   #40
BHPian

I spoke to Mr. Arun yesterday. He has quoted around 29-30k for open loop kit for my car. I have a Spark.
Now I'm confused, which kit should I opt for? open loop or closed loop ?
Old 27th April 2013, 17:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I guess I'll stick to the guy from whom I got it installed since I have more faith in the installer from whom I got it done
If I remember correctly, your installer was Greenglobe from Mulund, right?
What do you go to him for? Since I installed my kit - around 2 years now, the only time I have gone back is to change spark plugs (because he had some special spark plugs recommendation) - but his labour charge for spark plugs is so high that next time I will get it done with my service - I now know the brand and model number he recommends.

What other reasons are there to visit the installer?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 19:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to Mr. Arun yesterday. He has quoted around 29-30k for open loop kit for my car. I have a Spark.
Now I'm confused, which kit should I opt for? open loop or closed loop ?
I was in the same dilemma. I had heard the closed loop is superior in all ways and it is only 2.5k more. But i figured maybe he isnt comfortable installing it and decided to get an open loop system which has been pretty good so far.
Old 27th April 2013, 19:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I was in the same dilemma. I had heard the closed loop is superior in all ways and it is only 2.5k more. But i figured maybe he isnt comfortable installing it and decided to get an open loop system which has been pretty good so far.
Which brand's kit did you get?
Also how long do you need to run the car on petrol after starting it?
Old 28th April 2013, 01:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which brand's kit did you get?
Also how long do you need to run the car on petrol after starting it?
I got a Lovato kit. I leave the car on gas. I think it may switch automatically. Other than that i run my car on petrol once in a while because apparently that helps the engine last longer.

Performance on gas isnt too bad at all. Its not like i expected. The first day it hits you a bit but then when you adapt your driving style to the difference it becomes fine. Climbing some slopes is a little slow but all you really need to do is drop a gear to keep up.

I just calculated around 16 km per kg in bumper to bumper traffic with the ac on all the time. Including idling of about 30 mins. That is roughly 2 rupees per kilometer.
khanak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 01:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had gone to Suraj AutoGas last week for a check-up of my CNG system. But I guess I'll stick to the guy from whom I got it installed since I have more faith in the installer from whom I got it done (No offences meant to anyone) .

Without dropping any names - I didn't find the people whom I interacted with, really professional.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
Care to elaborate on your experience?