Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 14:47   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,865
Thanked: 2,213 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

I think you should get your car tested at Honda once. Compression test, check all 4 cylinders, check your throttle body etc and rectify whatever is wrong and then go to Jain and ask him to tune again..
Also, decarbonization might just help.
Another culprit could be the high tension electric harness running to your engine.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:13   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I think you should get your car tested at Honda once. Compression test, check all 4 cylinders, check your throttle body etc and rectify whatever is wrong and then go to Jain and ask him to tune again..
Also, decarbonization might just help.
Another culprit could be the high tension electric harness running to your engine.
Throttle body has been cleaned both by Honda and Mr Jain, I think there is no high tension wire in Civic as the ignition coil is on top of spark plug cap. There is no problem in pickup hence have not thought of compression test and decarbonisation, but still will check with Arya Honda and again send the car to Mr Jain. I'm suspecting some tuning issue which is not getting addressed.
saurabhkum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 10:31   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,553
Thanked: 884 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Throttle body has been cleaned both by Honda and Mr Jain, I think there is no high tension wire in Civic as the ignition coil is on top of spark plug cap. There is no problem in pickup hence have not thought of compression test and decarbonisation, but still will check with Arya Honda and again send the car to Mr Jain. I'm suspecting some tuning issue which is not getting addressed.
Hi , after the throttle body cleaning i hoped honda ran a diagnostic scan and did what is called a ecu reset.This sets the idle rpm properly which otherwise would hover around 1k. Does the car have a similar issue while running on petrol.

Also how much did the coils cost you ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 10:20   #79
BHPian
 
HimuraKenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai/London
Posts: 244
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
The problem which I'm facing is that the car sometimes stalls. It happens when the car is at low speed and I leave the accelerator or when I'm at standstill and press the accelerator to move forward.
Does this happen on petrol as well?
If it doesnt happen on petrol, it would probably mean that there is something going wrong in the fuel delivery system. Since you said that there is not CNG filter installed, it is possible that the gas injectors are clogged. I also suggest getting a CNG filter installed. It is a cylindrical tube like thing.
The quality of gas pumped by MGL is not the best because it frequently has particulate matter and compressor oil.
HimuraKenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 10:28   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Does this happen on petrol as well?
If it doesnt happen on petrol, it would probably mean that there is something going wrong in the fuel delivery system. Since you said that there is not CNG filter installed, it is possible that the gas injectors are clogged. I also suggest getting a CNG filter installed. It is a cylindrical tube like thing.
The quality of gas pumped by MGL is not the best because it frequently has particulate matter and compressor oil.
Sorry for not updating the current status. After I got the ignition coil changed I had not sent the car for tuning as any part change needs tuning to be done again. The car was sent to Suraj last week and now it's back to perfect.I think the filter thing needs to be re-checked. Will get that checked.
saurabhkum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 23:18   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 98
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Sorry for not updating the current status. After I got the ignition coil changed I had not sent the car for tuning as any part change needs tuning to be done again. The car was sent to Suraj last week and now it's back to perfect.I think the filter thing needs to be re-checked. Will get that checked.
Hey Saurabhkum, have not posted here for a bit. Glad your issue got resolved. My stalling in traffic happened just once or twice in the last few months, but recently I have observed the car shuddering with the A/c on, when using CNG, which it doesn't do when I switch to petrol. ALso there is a bit of a jerk when I accelerate.
Have spoken to Mr. Jain, and he said that they will look into it. I am confident that the issue will be fixed once they do.
Just thought I'd update too though.

Ang.
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 14:38   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,553
Thanked: 884 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
Hey Saurabhkum, have not posted here for a bit. Glad your issue got resolved. My stalling in traffic happened just once or twice in the last few months, but recently I have observed the car shuddering with the A/c on, when using CNG, which it doesn't do when I switch to petrol. ALso there is a bit of a jerk when I accelerate.
Have spoken to Mr. Jain, and he said that they will look into it. I am confident that the issue will be fixed once they do.
Just thought I'd update too though.

Ang.
Any update on the issue ? Was it resolved.

Even now my car after running fine for 20k Kms is now giving the jerking issue even after a TB cleaning etc. Suraj kept the car for 2 days and the issue still seems to have come again within a day. The car in CNG feels lethargic and slow as if it's choking. The spark plugs were changed in June and a full major service was done by Honda prior to giving the car to Suraj.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 17:27   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Just go to the nearest FNG and ask them to adjust the plug gap to 0.8 . You can very well use the iridium plugs also. Mostly the problem will be solved. Just ensure they have the blade to set the correct gap. I learnt it hard way. Let me know if this solves the problem.
Also one more thing which I learnt hard way is that there is no need to leave car overnight to get the tuning. Earlier I was given explanation that it needs to be tuned and then checked for both cold and warm engine. The optimum engine temperature ( of coolant ) which is a parameter for switching from petrol to CNG is attained in less than 2 minutes.
saurabhkum is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 21:20   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 98
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Just go to the nearest FNG and ask them to adjust the plug gap to 0.8 . You can very well use the iridium plugs also. Mostly the problem will be solved. Just ensure they have the blade to set the correct gap. I learnt it hard way. Let me know if this solves the problem.
Also one more thing which I learnt hard way is that there is no need to leave car overnight to get the tuning. Earlier I was given explanation that it needs to be tuned and then checked for both cold and warm engine. The optimum engine temperature ( of coolant ) which is a parameter for switching from petrol to CNG is attained in less than 2 minutes.
How do they adjust the plug gap to 0.8? And where did you pick up the iridium plugs from if I might ask? Yes I have the same problem right now, going to Mr. Jain's tomorrow to drop off the vehicle for the service with the shuddering/ stall
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 21:35   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,553
Thanked: 884 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
How do they adjust the plug gap to 0.8? And where did you pick up the iridium plugs from if I might ask? Yes I have the same problem right now, going to Mr. Jain's tomorrow to drop off the vehicle for the service with the shuddering/ stall
I am currently running on the Honda's OE spark plugs which are of the Iridium type. You can try those if you like. Your CNG guy must have replaced the spark plugs with standard NGK spark plugs and must have given you the Iridium type back. Carry those to a FNG who have a proper "feeler gauge" to check the spark plug gap. Get it adjusted from them. I left my car for 2 days at Mr Jain's and it came back even more lethargic than before and the problems remained.

I took the car to Honda and got my original spark plugs fitted which were lying with me adjusted to 0.8 mm and my car's issues though not totally resolved (some minor jerks are there now and then) but the lethargic characteristic is now gone and the car feels much smoother than with the standard NGK spark plugs.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 10:50   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,553
Thanked: 884 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Guys I always switch to CNG after the engine has reached its proper operating temperature. This takes around 5 mins of driving at least. What I have noticed is that when I switch in lower gears and lower speed the overall drive in CNG is a bit jerky now and then. However if I switch to CNG at higher gears and higher speed I find the drive in gas mode is much smoother.

I do not know if this is something I am imagining but I have noticed this most of the time. I would also like to add that this characteristic behavior occurs only during the first switch over of the drive. If I were to drive on petrol and then move to CNG later while driving it does not affect the vehicle performance. Itís as if the CNG ECU learns the first time it takes over and remembers the settings throughout the drive. Have any of you noticed any similar pattern while driving?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 12:13   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,553
Thanked: 884 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Had taken the car to Suraj last week to pull out the CNG cylinder for hyrdotesting. It is a one hour job and will take a couple of visits one to pull out the cylinder and the other to refit same. The original plate had expired on Jan 2017 and was renoved and while getting the cylinder fitted back i got a gas voucher. This time i did not had to run to and fro to the RTO for the voucher and don't have to do same for the plate as well since Suraj Gas is handling it for me for a additional fee along with the hydrotesting charge. Got the Cylinder back in two days but i waited till the voucher was received by them as it is illegal to fill gas without plate or voucher. The plate is expected sometime next month and i would have to go to Suraj's place to collect same.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LPG Autogas Bunks zaphod Shifting gears 14 18th November 2010 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:17.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks