Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Old 20th December 2015, 20:15   #1
BHPian

Default Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)

My 10 year old Activa has often remained unused for long periods of time, the only occasional usage was usually on account of a conscious effort to keep it in running condition, and some intentional long trips once in a blue moon. Add to that the awful quality of cleaning done by the local car wash person did not do much help to maintain its looks. This meant that I needed to dust it eight out of ten times before I revved up its engine. The only saving grace was that I have rarely parked it without shelter. Time for it get some heavy duty cleaning I thought.

Looked up this directory and came across Auto Shine at Kandivali West. Turns out they do not 'wash' vehicles, however the person on the other line was helpful enough to provide the contact of Vinod Service Centre at Kandivali West. Called him up to check if they work on Sundays. He asked me to come before 2 pm as they break for lunch.

This place is between SV Road and Link Road, and this is the approximate location. The address is: Vinod Service Centre, CTS. 1342, Keshav Industrial Estate, Shivaji Road, Kandivali West, Mumbai - 400067, Near Atul Tower.

I reached there by 1:45 PM. The FNB (Friendly Neighbourhood Boy) walked up to me and asked me if I wanted a normal wash, or a diesel wash, and added that the diesel wash was not available. Fine, so a normal wash it is. Quoted a princely sum of Rs. 60. Sixty?? And here I was fidgeting around with dusting the vehicle every time I needed to take it out. Taught me a lesson - pay attention, look around, things are easy to get done if one makes a l-i-t-t-l-e effort. Please go ahead - I say.

So while the Activa gets its much deserved wash, I am offered a seat by the owner and I look around. The service centre has enough open space, could see two cars and four two-wheelers. I was told that they also do car washes. Rs 200 for a normal wash, and Rs 350 for a diesel wash (I do not know what that means, the owner said they use diesel). The car is moved up on a ramp, which to any car owner's comfort is not elevated, but has the gulley dug up below it for the cleaner to go underneath and spray the underside of the vehicles, so no danger here. I always have this fear of a makeshift ramp crashing down, having seen it happen once in a Maruti authorised service centre. Get a Jopasu duster (Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review), get such a wash done once or every two months and I can safely relieve the services of the local car wash guy who anyways does more harm than good.

Back to the topic then.

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-01-resize.jpg
A white Activa being pampered. Mine is in the background.

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-02-my-turn.jpg
"My turn now"

Name:  03 Closeup.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  76.8 KB

By the time it was 2 PM, the gates were to be shut, or the staff would have to ensure that they would service every incremental vehicle which came in - the owner ordered. Lovely options. Talk about maintaining work-life balance. Can take a leaf out of these people's booklet I would think.

20 minutes up, and the job is done. The only downside I thought was that they do not have sufficient drying procedures, and the vehicle remains wet. They just mop it off. But then, that’s asking for too much. Itne mein aur kitna chaahiye. I do not know however, how it is for a four wheeler.

Here are the after-pictures. Apologies - I did not click the before-pictures, but yes, the Activa was very dirty then.

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-01-resize.jpg

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-03-resize.jpg

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-04-resize.jpg

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-06-peel-resize.jpg
The water pressure did this. Need to get a new one now.

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-07-water-resize.jpg
Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-08-water.jpg
Water seeping from the cracks to the seat cover. Will remove this.

So, the pros, and some lessons learnt for me:
  • Fast, cheap and efficient way to maintain my two wheeler.
  • Ensured that I sit back and relax, look around, observe the trees, fidgety personality that I am.
  • Ended up having a long pleasant ride back home getting snacky bits from a FNR (Friendly Neighbourhood Restaurant) for a leisurely lazy late Sunday family lunch.
  • Take my kids out on a ride.
  • And, I was finally able to finish off my first blog and post it here. Took me more time to write this post than it did for the Activa to come out sparkling clean.

The Activa has now turned a spoilt brat. It has demanded a polishing session. Where, is the question. Auto Shine probably.

Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)-after-05-resize.jpg
Squeaky clean.

Last edited by krackr : 20th December 2015 at 20:38. Reason: 1.45pm = 1:45 PM. And inserted "no danger here"
krackr is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 11:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Directory. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 21:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
....Rs 350 for a diesel wash (I do not know what that means, the owner said they use diesel). The car is moved up on a ramp, which to any car owner's comfort is not elevated, but has the gulley dug up below it for the cleaner to go underneath and spray the underside of the vehicles, so no danger here...
I believe they use diesel to rub away the tar on the running board / lower body of the vehicle. And it's nice to see a ramp & place offering an underbody wash.

That's something which is not always available, even with detailers, in Mumbai! I found one HP pump is Sakinaka, Andheri East who offers, but they are hell bent that they will do diesel wash along with a full car wash and NOT wash underbody alone and also will charge 450/- for the package.

Am too finicky to use such services as I have seen a garage in Bangalore use "Tide" to wash the car!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Cheap Car & Bike Wash - Vinod Service Centre (Kandivali West, Mumbai)

Thanks for the info

I was searching for a wash near my home- looks like i will try this on friday
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:58   #5
BHPian

I had dropped in yesterday at the centre- the centre is closed on Thursday

FYI
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:22   #6
BHPian

i went there earlier today to get my car washed. It is quite value for money. Good thing is that they have a vacuum cleaner, most places generally just use compressed air to blow the dust away.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 21:59   #7
BHPian

Had gone there on 23 Jan
Sorry for being late in updating

I had a lovely experience.

My GT was really dirty and needed a thorough wash
I went there around 11 and there was one car in progress for washing.

I opted for the Diesel Wash. The workers there really slogged off to clean the paint marks on the vehicle. Apparently somebody had dropped oil paint streaks on my hood and earlier was unsuccessful to clean them. This time the diesel did the trick.

I have no pics to show the quality of work but I will definitely return to clean my car with these guys

Special thanks to krackr for the find
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   Reply With Quote