Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Old 3rd May 2016, 23:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bad Experience!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
....My car however has been sold and I obviously had to inform the customer about the aicon issue which lowered my selling price in addition to the 10.3k that I spent at Unicool for no reason.
That's surprising. Did the new guy get it checked / fixed? Sid you not follow up on the used compressor chapter either?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 15:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bad Experience!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's surprising. Did the new guy get it checked / fixed? Sid you not follow up on the used compressor chapter either?
The new guy means the buyer? As mentioned in my previous post, we informed him of the issue with the AC and because of that we had to lower the price of the car. So in a way we took a double hit in terms of money. Lowered the selling price of the car and Mr. Anis still has our 10300 without solving our issue.

No, once we got a buyer for the car, we found it no point to follow up on the compressor as we knew we would be called to Ghatkopar again and that was too far for us. The buyer stays at Thane and we informed him about the situation with Unicool and tried to convince him to take the car there as whatever he would spend on the AC would be less 10300. But the buyer of course insisted on lowering the price instead as he was not will to travel so far away and said that he could possibly get a better job done at a cheaper price from his own sources. He had a point too.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)

Quote:
Hello everyone,
So based on all the positive reviews on this thread, I decided to give Unicool a try to solve the cooling issue on my 2010 Skoda Superb. The issue was that the aircon would cool when the car is in motion but stop cooling when the car was at idle

My car however has been sold and I obviously had to inform the customer about the aicon issue which lowered my selling price in addition to the 10.3k that I spent at Unicool for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Quote:
The new guy means the buyer? As mentioned in my previous post, we informed him of the issue with the AC and because of that we had to lower the price of the car. So in a way we took a double hit in terms of money. Lowered the selling price of the car and Mr. Anis still has our 10300 without solving our issue.
No, once we got a buyer for the car, we found it no point to follow up on the compressor as we knew we would be called to Ghatkopar again and that was too far for us. The buyer stays at Thane and we informed him about the situation with Unicool and tried to convince him to take the car there as whatever he would spend on the AC would be less 10300. But the buyer of course insisted on lowering the price instead as he was not will to travel so far away and said that he could possibly get a better job done at a cheaper price from his own sources. He had a point too.

First of all, this is going to be a bit long post with pictures. So bear with it.

Secondly, let me make it crystal clear, I have no affiliations to anybody whatsoever and I am putting information as understood both case wise and technically for benefit of all, in case anybody faces such a technical issue.

It was long due for my general a/c and cooling checks. Since the time I got rear a/c retrofit from Anisbhai, it has become the regular place to do so. I recently visited Unicool in this regards which is hardly a task of general a/c health checkup of half and hour atmost.

However, this Superb a/c case study was also on my radar to understand what could have gone on customer-wise and technically.

So, while the checks on my Innova were on, I pinged Anisbhai on what happened with this Superb's a/c problem. He without hesitation explained and also showed all things to me, including showing me a copy of the bill.

1. The bill as attached below.

Just putting forth to show which things can cost what, as even I did not have any idea before. Also, the bill attached herewith has no personal particulars, hence should not be any bother to anybody.

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-bill.jpg

2. The problem with customer as described by Epic.

However, Anisbhai did say that he tried communicating on occasions as rightly as possible, asked to monitor it for some days, and later when problem reported again to let take a look at it again, check other components, replacement of compressor with new, could be again faulty PCV or carbon deposits, and at a time, he said, he had a Superb standing by for scrapping from which he could source complete parts.

He did mention that he was willing to offset payment done against additional costs if involved, or if not at all possible, refund completely.

However, after knowing all, quite a few things technically and otherwise, he or any workshop for that matter could have got landed into this situation and could have deserved another chance to look at it and rectify the problem and/or handle situation accordingly as per mutual discussions.

Whatever, communications may have happened between the customer and vendor is upto both, we cannot divulge much into it, lest scrutinize it.

But something like this seems to need both ways proper communication, understanding and check/re-checks, trial and error on problem, components involved and some technical understanding as I have come to understand in other works also.

That is why I am taking it a bit further to share some technical details I could dig and digest.

It was interesting and I thought I got to share it here for all to know where problems can occur, as also I like to learn a few things.

Epic, I will still suggest, after reading all this in this post, in case you got contact to the new customer, ask him if not resolved, to show the problem to Anisbhai or show it to some really nice workshop and get rectified to satisfaction.

3. Technical problem:

Our conversation mostly happens in Hindi as he is not very well versed in English but just understands English pretty well spoken and written. So whatever I write here is as a consolidation of our talks and translation of conversation at times.

Once again, this is only as far as I got to know and I as a layman could dig and more importantly digest ( ), I am no expert, and bear with any mis-nomenclature from my end and correct the same if possible.

Upon inspection, there seems to be problem detected with compressor Rear Disc and Pressure Control Valve.

This is one such compressor as used in Superb

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-2-sides.jpg

The leftmost hole for Cooling/Evaporator coil output hose going into compressor and other hole for output hose to condenser.

The manufacturing sticker, this Sanden one manufactured in Japan, said to be similar about the Superb compressor and so the parts matched, which were swapped eventually to resolve the problem.

Name:  Compressor 3 Label.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  128.2 KB

The Rear Disc of one such compressor, specifically was dismantled from another such compressor they were working on to show me.
This hole is for Cooling/Evaporator coil output hose connecting to compressor

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-5-evaporator-hose.jpg

This hole is for Pressure Control Valve (PCV or is it POA?) fitting into Compressor

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-6-valve-hole.jpg

Pressure Control Valve, a used one and a new one by Sanden, manufactured in Japan (as per label). The job of the PCV is to control the low and high pressure of the Cooling Coil end and thus control refrigeration/cooling inside cabin.

Name:  Compressor 9 PC Valve Used.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  Compressor 10 PC Valve New.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  131.9 KB

PCV fitment into compressor rear disc - externally

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-7-valve-side-1.jpg

PCV fitment into compressor rear disc - internally

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-8-valve-side-2.jpg

The jammed PCV in the Rear Disc of compressor - the part from Superb

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-4-valve-stuck.jpg

This is the part from the Superb which has the Valve jammed inside the rear disc.

He said if no jamming, they can take it out easily by pulling. However, this seems to be totally jammed in. They seem to have tried to take it out, but the power connector cap broke from top of valve. Then they tried to wriggle out by putting wire through the hole left after cap broke. Still it didn't come out, PCV deemed to be totally jammed into compressor disc.

So they had to replace the whole rear part - disc and the valve.

Such parts do not seem to be available anew but sourced from available second hand, refurbished compressors. So they took out the Disc from the compressor in the image and put it on the compressor from Superb with the new Valve.

So I asked what about this compressor now? How will you use it?
To that, he told me that this is totally waste now until he finds a replacement rear disc for this piece. Valve can be bought anytime but not the disc.

So, I asked why the problem now when this is done.

He told that when the work was done, he was totally satisfied with the work and the cooling. However, since this kind of work will need monitoring over some time, he had asked to monitor the issue and report back.

Manual with some information showing the case of PCV stuck closed having Low Pressure high (40-60)

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-12-manual-2.jpg

Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W)-compressor-11-manual-1.jpg

He said that mostly this or even replacing the PCV resolves problem in compressor pressure control due to which cooling becomes ineffective sometimes or totally.

However, over the years due to usage, there are deposits of carbon and fine metal particles which can cause clogging in various parts and the problem may still keep cropping up.

These deposits are all over, compressor, cooling coils, condenser. So the entire system needs to be flushed. But the flushing is not completely guaranteed.

So the next best step is to replace compressor. But then again, if old refurbished compressor is bought at low prices, the chances of this happening are same.

So he can try with refurbished if needed and if problem can be solved at lowest of costs to customer, but at the end he will suggest new compressor.

So we came to costing of new compressor (as understood from him only):
A new branded compressor costs upwards of 35k.

But when he buys a compressor, the company doesn't give warranty unless the whole setup is changed. They will give warranty only when Branded New Compressor is to be bought with new cooling coil and condenser setup.

Why so?
Because of the same problem of carbon and metal fine particle deposits in the components likely to cause any problems in the compressor.

It seems a game of chance in the overall scene, components playing dodge-ball with each others inside.

So that builds up the costs to about 60k.

Whew! That's quite a lot of booty.

Well, I didn't cross-check costs, but a quick check on aftermarket compressor alone returns varied results of 10-35k. An OEM may be more.

I guess, a regular a/c service at 3k-5k in 2-3 years doesn't hurt if all flushing and cleaning happens regularly, otherwise Murphy's laws don't take long to come into play.

Whew! Now, this is too heady for me. I hope I conveyed right information and in right way. I will leave some other details to be learnt some other time and experts to digress upon.

Overall, as it occurs to me, we do need to be ready to understand what goes underneath to be able to resolve any such problem and sometimes be ready for trial and error to resolve these completely.

Last edited by parsh : 23rd June 2016 at 16:37.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 18:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Parsh,

I see that you are a regular at UniCool and Anisbhai and things seem to work for you there.

So I have only shared my individual experience at UniCool and no where said that I do not recommend him or his services so I am not sure on why the detailed investigation by you on my case and the attempt to back up Anisbhai or provide some sort of justification on his behalf on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
2. The problem with customer as described by Epic.

However, Anisbhai did say that he tried communicating on occasions as rightly as possible, asked to monitor it for some days, and later when problem reported again to let take a look at it again, check other components, replacement of compressor with new, could be again faulty PCV or carbon deposits, and at a time, he said, he had a Superb standing by for scrapping from which he could source complete parts.

He did mention that he was willing to offset payment done against additional costs if involved, or if not at all possible, refund completely.
- Anisbhai did not try to communicate with me on various occasions. It was always me who had to follow up with him. He only called me u once when he got a used compressor and that too after around 20 days.

- Anisbhai had clearly told me after checking the entire AC that the control valve was the issue and nothing else. After finishing the job, my driver was not convinced with the cooling (mentioned in my initial post) but Anisbhai and team still told my driver to go and use the car. The mistake was mine for sending my driver to get this job done as I would not have left the store if I was not convinced with the cooling of the AC. Similarly, Anisbhai should have not told the driver or any customer to go if they were not convinced with the outcome.

- The problem did not resurface after some days of use but was told to him by my driver there and then. On the way back home, the driver informed me that it is confirmed that issue is not solved. I called up Anisbhai on the same day and told him the same. Anisbhai tells me that it could be that the control valve fitted by him could be faulty. Did he not check the same at the time of fitting? This is hard to believe!!

- After the entire AC was checked and he convincingly telling me that all parts were ok and it was the control valve which is faulty; where is the question to now say that the compressor, PCV or carbon deposits could be the cause?

- After I was back from Shirdi, I called up Anisbhai to ask him the solution to which he said it could now be the compressor. I clearly informed him that I had no intention to spend on a new compressor as my car is already in the market for sale and suggested a used compressor. He was to get back to me but never did for almost a month. By then my car was sold. He called me after 20 days or so to tell me that he has a compressor and on telling him that my car is sold, he acknowledges and puts the phone down. Case closed for him!!

Quote:
However, after knowing all, quite a few things technically and otherwise, he or any workshop for that matter could have got landed into this situation and could have deserved another chance to look at it and rectify the problem and/or handle situation accordingly as per mutual discussions.

Whatever, communications may have happened between the customer and vendor is up to both, we cannot divulge much into it, lest scrutinize it.

But something like this seems to need both ways proper communication, understanding and check/re-checks, trial and error on problem, components involved and some technical understanding as I have come to understand in other works also.
Communication between Anisbhai and myself have been crystal clear. According to him, he was convinced it was a problem with the control valve but to me it seems his diagnosis was wrong! I paid 10k for a part and wrong diagnosis without my problem being solved and I HAVE ACCEPTED IT AS A BAD DEBT INCLUDING THE LOSS I HAVE ABSORBED WHILE SELLING THE CAR.

Quote:
Epic, I will still suggest, after reading all this in this post, in case you got contact to the new customer, ask him if not resolved, to show the problem to Anisbhai or show it to some really nice workshop and get rectified to satisfaction.
Good suggestion but not practical. I already mentioned in my initial post that I had already tried convincing the customer to visit Anisbhai as whatever job needs to be done, he will get a 10.2k as a rebate if it exceeds that amount. Unlike me, the customer is not silly to go all the way to Ghatkopar from Thane on my recommendation especially when the job was not done the first time around. He already told me that he has his own regular AC shop that he visits in Thane and he will get the AC rectified there. Besides, if you expect me to approach him now after two months of sale of the car then I think you are joking, right?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 20:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Epic;3965060]
Quote:
Hi Parsh,

I see that you are a regular at UniCool and Anisbhai and things seem to work for you there.
True, and sure I have definitely good experience always. It is indeed possible for someone not to have same experience and I know in past of a case not on Team-bhp where some problem cropped up but later got resolved upon re-correction.

Quote:
So I have only shared my individual experience at UniCool and no where said that I do not recommend him or his services
Absolutely, and it is indeed very good for community to get useful knowledge always from its forum members, positive or negative. And Neither have I tried to say that your quotes in your posts are to be taken in any manner.

Quote:
so I am not sure on why the detailed investigation by you on my case and the attempt to back up Anisbhai or provide some sort of justification on his behalf on this.
In which case, you should go through my post again and again and understand the context very well. I am sure the forum will understand the technology context and information well for their benefit.

About 'investigation on my case' as you say, you have clearly overlooked the intention I have clearly outlined in my post and has been evident from any of my technical posts related to cars, especially when I was installing rear a/c unit in my Innova, the digging I had to do to understand the working and installation in-depth first and then only jumping into actual installation.

Rest of communication or working transpired between you two is upto you two only and nobody and neither I am here to justify, contest or scrutinize it any other way. If there was any room for appropriate communication, time and manner to resolve the issue, it may have been adopted.

However, thanks to your case wherein work is stated to be failed, definitely created an inquisition and added greatly to my knowledge on compressors atleast, which otherwise, I may not have dug into.

Last edited by parsh : 23rd June 2016 at 20:35.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Based on the various reviews read here, I took an SX4 to Unicool on Saturday 5th Nov. The problem was a complete lack of cooling from the car. The problem had occurred all of a sudden after the car was parked for three days. I had called up Anis Bhai a couple of days earlier and informed him about the same.

I have to admit that, being from the auto industry I am slightly averse to getting things done from non authorised workshops. However, since the car is around eight years old and especially after reading the +ve reviews here I decided to take the plunge.

Overall the experience was fantastic. The workshop technicians started with a check of the cooling fan which was found to be working fine. Anis Bhai then recommended a complete AC service, which after eight years of usage was definitely overdue. During the service, after opening the dashboard the cooling coil (evaporator) was found to have a small hole on the side, obviously through which the refrigerant was leaking. The cost of a new evaporator was quoted as Rs. 2600/-. Anis bhai instead recommended repairing of the coil since the leak was in an area which could be reparied without too much hassle. The evaporator was promptly sent for repair and was done within one hour. Repair cost Rs. 400/-

End Result: After a service (including pollen filter replacement, R-134A and compressor oil refilling) and repair of the evaporator, the AC vent temperature reached around 9 degrees C while the vehicle was idling. Total cost was Rs. 3800/- all inclusive.

Definitely a place I would recommend.

Last edited by Potenza : 7th November 2016 at 16:51. Reason: Added more information.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 10:12   #22
BHPian

I have been to this place on the third week of December last year. Its definitely worth recommendation. I will be putting up my experience soon

The 2011 ANHC that i have been using extensively since the last four years, is now showing signs of aging. The AC started giving troubles and was just switching off after driving for 30 mins. This was noticed mostly during daytime. The Honda service centre guys did a quick check and recommended a complete ac overhaul, with possible compressor change. The damages estimated to be more than 30 K.
I spend a couple of evenings on the team bhp site, read most of the threads on AC problems and decieded to take a second opinion. After reading some good reviews on Unicool , decided to take try out the place.
The shop is located just behind the R city Mall ghatkopar, google maps will help to reach the place. Since i had driven down all the way from Vashi, i was allowed to jump the que of a few cars and was attended very promptly. It took the guys around 30 mins time to open up access to the ac assembly and the problem was diagnosed to be a faulty AC clutch. The component was in ready stock there and replaced promptly. This time around the ac worked perfectly.
They recommended a ac cleaning because the car is almost 4 years old. Since i had time on my hand, decieded to go ahead. The air filters were replaced, the front condenser cleaned with special chemicals and Gas refilled. Looking at the amount of dirt that came out i am convinced the authorized service centers charge you for a/c checkup and maintenance but actually do very little. Came home a happy guy having saved a considerable amount of money.

Total Damages: 4.5 K for A/C repairs (including parts) 2.5 k for a/c cleaning and gas recharge and 500 for the filter. (These are approximate charges)

what i liked: People who know their work, neat place, stock most AC components (saves time for running around to purchase) and most importantly the cost. This place saved me at least 25 K compared to Honda ASS center estimate.

I waited for a month before putting up a review. Just to check if all components are working fine. The ac is running perfectly. The place is definitely worth a recommendation

Last edited by Zappo : 11th January 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Please use the edit button on your previous post when you wish to add something more in the first 30 minutes of posting.
sidmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 21:26   #23
BHPian

Teambhpians,

I thank you all for this good forum and references here, Unicool Aircon just saved me from an engine overhaul due to incorrect diagnosis by the service center. Kudos to the troubleshooting skills, systematic approach towards problem solving and presence of mind of Anis bhai. Highly recommended and better than chevvy service!
Link attached
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4131493
sudipt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

All of a sudden the AC in my Octy vRS Mk1 stopped cooling on Sunday. Was looking for AC specialist as I wasn't too keen on taking the car to Autobahn. Reading thru the posts of this thread on Monday and it gave me some confidence. So I called up Anis Bhai and booked for Tuesday. The car was there promptly at 10AM and got taken in and work.

I had a similar issue about 6 months back. The cooling will stop one day and last time once I got the gas recharged, it worked perfectly fine for 6 months. So I knew there had to be a leak somewhere but it would be innocuous enough to only leak rarely. The technicians checked the car and based on the symptoms diagnosed a leak somewhere. They also pointed out that the main fan was weak and would need replacement sometime in the future. I also had issues like air flow slightly less, and foam/ sponge parts coming out of the vent sometimes and air leaking thru the leg vents even when the selector is on the front vents.

Mind you, my car is 11.5 yrs with only 73K on the clock. Since I wasn't sure if the AC had ever been serviced before properly, I wanted a thorough job so that I don't have to look at that department again for the next couple of years.

Based on the diagnostic, I was given the following prognosis
  1. Cooling coil might need changing if a leak was found in it
  2. Replacement of main fan.
  3. Labour and gas charging
I agreed to all the above and left the Unicool workshop at 11am after meeting Anis Bhai. Was promised delivery at 4PM. When I reached the workshop at 4:30PM, there was still checking going on and gas was getting recharged. But the technicians filled up only 650gms inspite of me telling them that the sticker mentions 750+50gms. I had to really push them to put the extra 100gms. Apart from that it was a pleasurable experience getting the work done. The AC feels like new now and my glasses are getting fogged when I'm coming out.

And it cost me Rs.8,200/-, considerably lower than what Autobahn would have charged me.

EOD a very happy customer
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 09:54   #25
BHPian

Finally took my Jetta in yesterday to Unicool. Initial diagnosis by Anisbhai pointed at a compressor problem. He said that he will see if it's repairable if not, the compressor would have to be replaced (new cost appox Rs. 26000/-).
Said I was fine with replacing should it not be repairable. Left the car at 10AM and got a call at 5PM saying it was ready.
The compressor had been repaired, gas charged and the ac system serviced. total bill of 9000/-. The AC is back to its original cooling and was fine on the almost 1 hour drive back home. Got a call from Anisbhai asking if all was fine.
Couldn't be happier. All in all a great experience. He also changed a fused brake light bulb! Awesome.

Last edited by clix22 : 12th April 2017 at 09:55. Reason: spelling mistake
clix22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 01:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Kudos to the troubleshooting skills, systematic approach towards problem solving
I have gone to unicool for an A/C problem & was very impressed with the systematic approach they took.

However, I am surprised how you thought of taking your car to them for what was obviously not an A/C problem - do they work on other car issues also?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 00:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
However, I am surprised how you thought of taking your car to them for what was obviously not an A/C problem - do they work on other car issues also?
Well they have an associate nearby, who is a mechanic, and I have taken my car for other jobs. but this diagnosis was done by AnisBhai himself!
sudipt123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote