Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th February 2012, 00:38   #1606
PhX
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Suspension is good though, eats up all the bumps and pot holes

My dad rulled the Verna because of the Average back seat and space and ineffective AC.
These 2 paragraphs sum up the Verna for me. Add to that the audio which is worst in class from what I've seen. Enough reasons to not go for the Verna in my book.
PhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 16:42   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the petrol verna for a test drive today. My dad is getting a company paid car due to his promotion.The rules allow us to buy any petrol(no diesel) car below 10 lakhs ex-showroom.The car will be used as a family car on weekends and dad will be chauffeured to work from monday to friday.So we wanted a car that will have a decent back seat and space to accommodate four people with the very occasional 5th passenger.Should be powerful enough because i will be driving it after the driver goes back home at the end of the day.
Although this is not the right thread to discuss which petrol sedan under 10 lacs would suite you the most, given your requirements a Honda City or a Fiat Linea T-Jet would be most suitable

Quote:
Another grouse was the AC,did not chill the car fast,very slow to at least make my dad fell cool even though the temperature was set to lowest with max blower.The car was stable at speeds of 130,did not go higher due to traffic.Suspension is good though, eats up all the bumps and pot holes

My dad rulled the Verna because of the Average back seat and space and ineffective AC.
The Linea T-Jet scores on this front, as it has rear AC vents (same is the case with Vento as well). However the Linea T-Jet has the added advantage of a turbocharged engine & the car will pull like a wild horse once in the turbo zone.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 19:09   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Although this is not the right thread to discuss which petrol sedan under 10 lacs would suite you the most, given your requirements a Honda City or a Fiat Linea T-Jet would be most suitable
I know this is a Verna thread so just gave a little background(guess it was too much) on how i came to TD the Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The Linea T-Jet scores on this front, as it has rear AC vents (same is the case with Vento as well). However the Linea T-Jet has the added advantage of a turbocharged engine & the car will pull like a wild horse once in the turbo zone.
Dont want deviate too much from this thread but the fiat service in Goa is pathetic,so Linea is out!!
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 22:38   #1609
BHPian

Hi All,
Just casually going through the manual of my 1.6 CRDI Verna. Shocked to note that the engine oil consumption has been mentioned as 1 lit for 1000 km. I had no idea that engine oil is ever consumed. I have done more than 7.5 k km. on my car & the engine oil level is ok. If it's consumption is at above rate, then by this time engine oil should have been dried up completely.

Some one in this thread had mentioned that the engine oil level of his car is going down. Would like to have opinion/feedback of others.

At last my pen drive problem ( coming back to the first song) has been indentified by me as a problem with the horn relay as it always coincides with blowing of the horn, more so at night with head lamps & fog lamps on. Hope to replace the relay on my next visit to the service station.

Drive safe.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 01:22   #1610
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
At last my pen drive problem ( coming back to the first song) has been indentified by me as a problem with the horn relay as it always coincides with blowing of the horn, more so at night with head lamps & fog lamps on. Hope to replace the relay on my next visit to the service station.
Glad that you identified the problem

Btw, consumption of 1L per 1000km sounds really steep. That means you would need to replace oil almost once a month (or even more for some people, I suspect). Maybe a misprint in the manual?
PhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 14:58   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
The fluidic owners can you please give me a detailed review on the comfort of the back seats ?
I have booked a fluidic verna SX(o) , but now my dad got a feedback from a fluidic owner about the uncomfortable back seat .
Now we are having second thoughts.
I agree with Swiftfurios here. It all depends on the comfort that one feels when sitting. My friends who travelled with me felt really comfortable in the back seat of my Verna. He actually liked the comfort at the back. Pls go for a TD and then take a decision. All the best.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:41   #1612
Senior - BHPian

"Every one who has driven the Verna knows how bouncy the car can get at high speeds. High speed stability is infact so poor that enthusiasts opt to buy cars which as sharp like the Fiat Linea or the Ford Fiesta. Now this could change as we hear that Hyundai could soon give the Fluidic Verna a slight suspension update."

Could The Hyundai Verna Get A Suspension Update? | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
volkman10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 19:18   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Good if this news is true, however source and credibility of this piece of news is a question mark. Even if true, I suspect hyundai will bother since the car is anyways doing extremely well. People dont buy hyundai for its handling, do they? It's USP is different. Having said that, I will be extremely happy to be proved wrong by HMIL.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 01:24   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
The fluidic owners can you please give me a detailed review on the comfort of the back seats ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You should NOT rely on what others have to say because the expectations need not match. Its better that the actual people who will be subjected to the seats feel is first hand. I have seen both negative & positive feed-backs on the rear seat comfort on Verna, guess that's more to do with the type of physique people have. Some people find it good & some bad, no one provides their physical status for comparison, leaving me confused!

For eg, ask anyone in the forum about Manza rear comfort & you are likely to get all positive responses. Ask the same to me, I will say it's average or below par [after travelling in the Manza rear seat for close to 6 hours up & down together] with 3 medium built guys! I was freakin tired after the 6 hours!
Very much agree with Swiftnfurious. People really need to experience cars, especially the seats/ergonomics to decide. However will add a bit, from what I remember from my TD. The seats are low. they were specifically made lower for the Indian model, to allow for more headroom. This makes them physically uncomfortable for taller people; mainly due to the knees getting raised a bit more than normal and lack of under-thigh support.

The rear seat felt visually cramped with the front seats towering in front. Would be even worse for shorter passengers. The narrow window, which started pretty high and ended pretty low, didn't help matters either.

The rear legroom, however was good. A lot better than the Fiesta.

@Swiftnfurious, Mate it may be possible that the Manza felt uncomfortable due to it's ride and probably excessive tyre pressure. Other reasons for being tired could be less effective cabin insulation, vibrations creeping into the cabin and excessive gear changes (less smooth movement). Since it is OT here, will not continue further.

Quote:
When i used to use the clutch to change gears my knee used to rub against the lower part of the dashboard, very irritating.I am 5 9', slightly on the heavy side so don't know if its because of me only.
Surprising! I with my 6' and biggish frame, felt very comfortable in the Fluidic's driver's seat. Was rather appreciative of it, especially for the left leg comfort and support. Could it be due to the seat not being adjusted properly?

Quote:
Coming to the engine, Average for 123 horses! my mom's figo (1.2)felt more lively than this.The test car had covered 15k, was not pulling much in lower Rpm range for a 123 hp engine. I was driving it like a sports car, changing gears at 3000k to 3500rpm but the car did not excite me.
The Verna's engine has a very refined and smooth feel. It picks up well, but one doesn't really feel the surge like one may feel in, say a Vento of an Optra. It's power to weight ratio is the highest in the segment (even higher than the 2 litre Opra), and also the quickest to the 100 mark in the segment. It just doesn't give that feel. That may also be considered very good by many, as the car keeps you well insulated and the engine feels very refined.

Quote:
Thought the car was not serviced properly so dont want to blame the engine on the whole,maybe if i get a properly maintained one my observations may change.
That may be the reason, mate. Another TD may be worthwhile to get a proper picture about this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
"Every one who has driven the Verna knows how bouncy the car can get at high speeds. High speed stability is infact so poor that enthusiasts opt to buy cars which as sharp like the Fiat Linea or the Ford Fiesta. Now this could change as we hear that Hyundai could soon give the Fluidic Verna a slight suspension update."

Could The Hyundai Verna Get A Suspension Update? | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Thanks for that news, Volkman. If this one ends up with a well sorted out suspension, one may really be able to enjoy the wonderful engine of this car. Right now, it is such a mismatch - brilliant and refined engine, with a very unsorted suspension.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th February 2012 at 01:25. Reason: typo
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 20:24   #1615
BHPian

Dear All,

My car's rear sensor has again malfunctioned. It keeps on producing a continuous beep even if there is nothing behind the car. This has happened for the second time in my 6 months old car. I do n't feel confident of the quality control being done at Hyundai. The reliability has become an issue for me. Now again, I have to take the car to authorized service station ( 250 km away) for getting it fixed. One of the faulty sensors has to be replaced. It will not cost me, but what after the warranty is over. This is the third problem in my car including the problem in horn relay.

Has any body faced sensor problem yet? I am so used to it now, it is very difficult to reverse the car without the sensors working properly.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 21:33   #1616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..My car's rear sensor has again malfunctioned. It keeps on producing a continuous beep even if there is nothing behind the car. This has happened for the second time in my 6 months old car. I do n't feel confident of the quality control being done at Hyundai. The reliability has become an issue for me.
This is something I was expecting to happen over & over. My answer is, take the car to the service 7 keep getting it replaced. Once it conks off, try & get all the sensors changed from an after market shop for cheap. If you have a 4 year warranty, then you are safe for 4 years!

You could also try and make some hue & cry over this, but being Hyundai, I am not sure whether we should have some positive outcome [reading all i20 issues and care-free nature showed by the company].

Slightly off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@Swiftnfurious, Mate it may be possible that the Manza felt uncomfortable due to it's ride and probably excessive tyre pressure. Other reasons for being tired could be less effective cabin insulation, vibrations creeping into the cabin and excessive gear changes (less smooth movement). Since it is OT here, will not continue further.
I remember the car was driven aggressively with frequent gear shifts! I am 6'2" - so I guess under thigh support was also less for me!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th February 2012 at 21:35.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 21:57   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

My car's rear sensor has again malfunctioned. It keeps on producing a continuous beep even if there is nothing behind the car. This has happened for the second time in my 6 months old car. I do n't feel confident of the quality control being done at Hyundai. The reliability has become an issue for me. Now again, I have to take the car to authorized service station ( 250 km away) for getting it fixed. One of the faulty sensors has to be replaced. It will not cost me, but what after the warranty is over. This is the third problem in my car including the problem in horn relay.

Has any body faced sensor problem yet? I am so used to it now, it is very difficult to reverse the car without the sensors working properly.

Thanks
Yes!!! the same happened with me as well within 3 months of buying the car. Gave it to the service station and they fixed it in 30 minutes saying they dont think it will happen again. My dad had taken the car and he did not ask what was exactly wrong. All he was told was after the daily wash, make sure the water does not stay on the sensors for too long. This looks like an issue that is repeating in more than one car. Will let you know if this happens again. Did your A.S.S guys say anything?
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 18:29   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Yes!!! the same happened with me as well within 3 months of buying the car. Gave it to the service station and they fixed it in 30 minutes saying they dont think it will happen again. My dad had taken the car and he did not ask what was exactly wrong. All he was told was after the daily wash, make sure the water does not stay on the sensors for too long. This looks like an issue that is repeating in more than one car. Will let you know if this happens again. Did your A.S.S guys say anything?
They had replaced just one of the faulty sensors. This time they will replace another faulty one. Last time, I had inquired about the price of one sensor. What I remember it is approx. Rs. 1650/- for one. Do n't come cheap. They did not advise any thing else.

What is the cost of sensors alone, if purchased from after market? Will they work fine like the company fitted ones? Any idea by any one?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:39   #1619
BHPian

I have got 2nd service done for my Verna CRDI. I have discussed about the thud sound that comes from the front suspension when we move over potholes. The technicians have done the front suspension tune-up. Now that problem has been solved. I have been driving from the past 2 days and went over potholes to test. The suspension is okay with out any thud noice. One problem solved.

I explained the USB skipping back to the 1st song problem when we honk. They tried working on some relays, but could not sort out the problem. Appreciate if someone from the forum can give me step by step instructions to be followed to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 21:36   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
I have got 2nd service done for my Verna CRDI. I have discussed about the thud sound that comes from the front suspension when we move over potholes. The technicians have done the front suspension tune-up. Now that problem has been solved. I have been driving from the past 2 days and went over potholes to test. The suspension is okay with out any thud noice. One problem solved.

I explained the USB skipping back to the 1st song problem when we honk. They tried working on some relays, but could not sort out the problem. Appreciate if someone from the forum can give me step by step instructions to be followed to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
Ditto for my ride, I was begining to live with the heartbreaking thud sound when the second service cured it. The car is thud free for over a month now
For the USB bit, just ensure you use a genuin USB, the fakes are notorious for forgetting the sequence of playlist and starting from the 1st song.
dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote