Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th September 2012, 22:53   #1756
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

The rear sensors again failed. Problem is it sometimes work normal. If I take the car to service station, it may work ok there. Even the faults are not consistent. Any idea, how much the sensors would cost outside & will those be more reliable than the stock. I am so much used to this feature that it is very difficult now to live without.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 13:03   #1757
BHPian

Need some help.

Contact names from my phone book is not getting synchronized through Verna's bluetooth. When I receive calls via car's bluetooth, only numbers get flashed and not names. I am using a Samsung phone.

The strange part is it syncs up seamlessly with a Nokia phone and the names are correctly displayed.

What could be wrong here? Can someone please help me out?

Thanks
champ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 12:46   #1758
BHPian

Got the front bumper replaced. Did the job outside to save on cost of painting. Cost of bumper purchased from dealer was only Rs 1,200/-. I could not believe the price when I heard it first. The material is a type of hard plastic & is extremely brittle . In case of minor dash, the bumper cracks rather than just getting out of shape. Do n't know what exactly is the material used for the bumper. Rs 2,100/- was the cost of painting. The outside painter has done a good job.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 09:27   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Took a test drive of Verna yesterday. Surprisingly, the suspension felt stiff. Asked the SA as to whether Hyundai did anything about their soft suspension to which he confirmed that the suspension is being retuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
This could be a sigh of relief for me. Can we get someone to find out what exactly they have done with the suspension?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am still not sure whether a "re-tuning" can make a noticeable difference in the handling, but gurus could clarify!
Over the weekend, I spoke to another SA from another dealer. He confirmed that the newer models are coming with a stiffer suspension. I asked him for details and he said, earlier it was softer coils and now its a bit high tension coils.

Anyways, did a bit of lurking around and spoke to an official in the service bay about the issues faced by Verna. He said nothing has been done to the suspension. I wonder who is lying about it.

Can anyone having any better touch with their SA or anyone having any insider information confirm this?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 8th October 2012 at 09:34.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 16:21   #1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk
I have planned to book 1.6 SX CRDI in a couple of weeks time. Verna Owners do please share the most practical mileage you get from your beauty and maintenance cost. Did any one get any discounts or other offers from any dealer in Tamilnadu, your directions will be highly useful when i step in for booking the vehicle.
I can only speak from my limited experience. Have had my 1.6 CRDI SXO for about 10 days now. Just clocked about 850 Kim's on it. In the city, did about 200 Kms mostly in traffic and got about 12-13 Kms per litre. Am sure it would give more, given the fact that i was deliberately being over-cautious. On the highway did about 650 Kms and it yielded a consistent 22 kmpl!!! Was pleasantly surprised!
writeramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 20:22   #1761
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Anyways, did a bit of lurking around and spoke to an official in the service bay about the issues faced by Verna. He said nothing has been done to the suspension. I wonder who is lying about it.

Can anyone having any better touch with their SA or anyone having any insider information confirm this?
This is what I hate about sales people in India. The way they take customers for a ride whether it is explaining non-existent features in a Mobile phone or non-existent upgrades to a car costing much more. They lack the knowledge and commitment of and to their job.
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 09:07   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
This is what I hate about sales people in India. The way they take customers for a ride whether it is explaining non-existent features in a Mobile phone or non-existent upgrades to a car costing much more. They lack the knowledge and commitment of and to their job.
I did some more reading up on the net and on another forum. I got the information from an owner's thread that new coils with below dimensions were fit in his Verna VTVT under warranty in June:
Height increased from 176.7mm to 182.7mm
Outer diameter increased from 148.2mm to 151.7mm
Wire thickness increased from 12.1mm to 12.3mm

But as per his report, this change also didnt solve his suspension issues.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th October 2012 at 03:01. Reason: Removing link on request, thanks
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 18:46   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Visited the car again.

1) Suspension. Was as crashy as old generation small cars. IMO, i20 has better suspension as compared to Verna. Probably the weakest link in the entire package.

2) Rear seats. Just like i20, the outer edges of rear seat are tapered, which does not help. Sitting behind driver's seat, my right leg was severely short on comfort and left was also not happy. Way too low seats for comfort. Space is not impressive, it could have been better, but looks like form over function has taken over Hyundai.

3) Good front visibility. Better than i20. Rear visibility is non existent.

4) ORVM must be one size bigger.

5) NVH was nice. Others must learn from Hyundai atleast in this regard. Specially Maruti and Toyota. Honda for me is still the benchmark along with Chevy. Chevy 1.2 which my friend has felt like a vaccum chamber after K10 Waggie. I admit that Waggie has a larger cabin which can get boomy, but here I am talking more about engine noise entering cabin. Aveo, despite being old, can offer a very stress free drive ( in a scenerio where driving is as good as fighting ) due to a very silent cabin.

6) Noisy blower. Could have been better. A/C was not as effective as my trusty old, dated, but probably the best, Baleno. Even our Innova cools faster. The TD car had just 18K on odo.

7) Heavy clutch. Clutch felt heavier than Innova, which was certainly not expected.

8) Good switchgear.

9) Gearshifts were rubbery, though soft ( not smooth ). Lacks positive action. Drive a Fiesta and/or Swift or even the new Alto 800 to know what is smooth gear shift.

10) Rear camera very useful.

11) Steering. Another chink in the armour. Biggest problem is its way too light, forget feedback. And the car rolls generously. Just like in a waggie an S-Manoeuvring where the car becomes tilted and gives a feeling of tipping over, verna handled just as a Waggie. Certainly not expected for a saloon which is quite low slung. Even the bigger, heavier, taller Innova feels better.

12) Build. Doors felt super light. Lighther than even i20. Those who do not like bootlid Dzire, well give Verna a try. Feels similarly flimsy. Did not add to positive feeling. Even my old Baleno scores better. SX4, Fiesta, Linea have better and stiffer builds.

Overall positives :
Engine
Silent cabin
Features like rear Camera

Overall Negatives :
Pathetic suspension
Relatively heavy clutch
Poor seats
Low overall visibility
Feels very flimsy
Scraps a lot
Useless steering for highway

The point is, when the car was launched, the excitement of features was there. Now, when the feature-backed excitement has died down, the negatives surface out faster. Anybody buying this car must TD the car more than once, so that in the second TD, a better, deeper view of the car as a package comes out.

This engine ( diesel 1.6 ) must be given to Swift, SX4, Swift Dzire, Ford Fiesta and Linea. Yes, its quite nice.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 23:47   #1764
BHPian

My friend is replacing his Verna's rear bumper after a hit from a scooter, left a big cut on the bumper.He asked the local A.S.S about the total cost of replacing the bumper with labor etc and was told it would be about 30k!! Is this a realistic price?? He will be replacing it on Monday but i wanted to know if the service guys are not fleecing him.

Thanks
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 00:07   #1765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1
My friend is replacing his Verna's rear bumper after a hit from a scooter, left a big cut on the bumper.He asked the local A.S.S about the total cost of replacing the bumper with labor etc and was told it would be about 30k!! Is this a realistic price?? He will be replacing it on Monday but i wanted to know if the service guys are not fleecing him.

Thanks
30K??? Are they gold plating the new bumper? I don't expect it to cost more than 7 or 8K. Ask him to check with another A$$ too. And also a reputed independent garage.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 08:52   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

Thanks
No idea about rear bumper, but 30k is just ridiculous, probably they have added a zero too many. I can give you an idea on front bumper replacement price which can be a very good indicator for the rear as well. I had replaced the front bumper around a month back.

Price of front bumper Rs 1,200/-
Painting/fitting/labor etc: Rs 2,100/- ( done in HASS)
Total: 3,300/- ( approx)

Painting/fitting price quoted by Sell-service outlets was approx Rs. 3,500/-. Would have gone for this, but did not as it was 250 km away from my home.

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 28th October 2012 at 08:56. Reason: correction addition
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 19:11   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
30K??? Are they gold plating the new bumper?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
No idea about rear bumper, but 30k is just ridiculous...
My original price quote was wrong, its ~10k for total replacement of the rear bumper instead of the 30k, i think i should lay off those chips
I guess this quote is fair enough for a car in this segment.

Thanks.
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 04:00   #1768
BHPian

Has anyone faced problems playing music from USB drives on the Verna?

I have found that the player will play a song for a while, and then suddenly skip to the next song.

Is there any limit to the USB drive size or number of songs that can be on the drive?

Any pointers / suggestions would be appreciated.
Fusion2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 14:58   #1769
BHPian

After all the debate in my mind I have decided on buying a Verna.

Its looks amazing. (Hope the newer version is a long way from now considering its already more than a year since launch.)
Very comfortable driver seat (not bothered about the back seat)
The gizmos are very likable. (reverse camera esp)
Diesel.

Dislikes-
All the talk about suspension
Very bad performance on highway
Hyundai's service

But I dont see any other car which looks so good and performance like this in the diesel segment.
Sunny I already own and Vento/Rapid did not impress me.
When is honda coming up with the Diesel engine (anyways it will cost a bomb)
Or Should I go for a Duster. ? (there my mind is playing games with me)

Verna ranking high up in the chart. Just need the final push.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 12:26   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
After all the debate in my mind I have decided on buying a Verna.

Its looks amazing. (Hope the newer version is a long way from now considering its already more than a year since launch.)
Very comfortable driver seat (not bothered about the back seat)
The gizmos are very likable. (reverse camera esp)
Diesel.

Dislikes-
All the talk about suspension
Very bad performance on highway
Hyundai's service

But I dont see any other car which looks so good and performance like this in the diesel segment.
Sunny I already own and Vento/Rapid did not impress me.
When is honda coming up with the Diesel engine (anyways it will cost a bomb)
Or Should I go for a Duster. ? (there my mind is playing games with me)

Verna ranking high up in the chart. Just need the final push.
It all depends on what your preferences are. What are the absolute "musts" for you and what you can live without. If high speed handling is what you are looking for then i suggest you look for other options. I see from your post that you have already ruled out 2 serious contenders, so not many options left for you.But if you are a sedate driver and like to go easy on highways, don't look any further.

During my limited 3 months of ownership of Verna diesel, I can safely say it's an excellent car for city driving. I guess I don't need to mention anything about the frills and gizmos it comes with. However, when it comes to high speed (120+) performance and handling, it is definitely not at par with the competition. The softer suspension make the ride bumpier at high speeds. Please note all of this happens only when you work up some real high speed. I have experienced this during my recent Bangalore- Goa trip.
If you are not the one who would constantly like to throw your car around the corner and are content driving at 100- 120 on highways, this is the car for you.

I have done 3 long drives already in the first 3 months and I am absolutely happy with the car as I have understood its strengths and weaknesses and drive the car within its limits.
champ27 is offline   Reply With Quote