Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th November 2012, 16:56   #1771
Tgo
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Sold our July 2011 Silver Verna 1.6 CRDi SX yesterday.

On-Road Price: 10.74L

km run: 18500

Best/Worst FE: 22/14 kmpl (based on MID reading)

Best Drive: Straight out of the showroom 1000km in 3 days. Went to Datiya from Jaipur and came back. Kept it under 90 kmph at all times.

Worst Drive: To Pushkar and back to Jaipur over 3 days. Roads were so good, touched and maintained 110+ kmph most of the time but the car seemed like it would take off any time.

Advert for sale: August 2012, Asking 10.27L initially, changed to 9.67L then to 9.15L

Date of sale: 10th November 2012

Sold for: 8.5L

Overall experience: A Big Rip Off!
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 17:00   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Sold our July 2011 Silver Verna 1.6 CRDi SX yesterday.

On-Road Price: 10.74L

km run: 18500

Best/Worst FE: 22/14 kmpl (based on MID reading)

Best Drive: Straight out of the showroom 1000km in 3 days. Went to Datiya from Jaipur and came back. Kept it under 90 kmph at all times.

Worst Drive: To Pushkar and back to Jaipur over 3 days. Roads were so good, touched and maintained 110+ kmph most of the time but the car seemed like it would take off any time.

Overall experience: A Big Rip Off!
Wow, Did you sell it off because it handled badly ? Or the car has too much power to handle ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 17:22   #1773
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow, Did you sell it off because it handled badly ? Or the car has too much power to handle ?
There were a lot of reasons for selling it. Firstly this was the first sedan in our family. Dad has done a lot of driving around and is very passionate about it and most of it had been done in Jeeps/Gypsys/Contessa (till '92) an Omni and borrowed Esteems/Boleros/Astras (till '99) then in a Qualis (till '10) one year sabbatical in a Santro then what seemed like the most VFM car... the Verna.

The low seating position and light steering, low ground clearance were his reasons for not liking the car. I fueled the fire by bickering about the ride to which he also agreed to some extent.

We now have the 110 RxZ (O) Duster taking up Verna's parking spot in the drive way. I will miss the versatile 128PS engine of the Verna though.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 19:58   #1774
BHPian

Any one having information about TSB by Hyundai on replacement of rear springs of Verna Fluidic? Tassem buddy has got the rear springs replaced ( hopefully with warranty ) & feels rear is better planted.

I had talked to SA, who was unaware of any such TSB, might be intentionally. I got surprised when he informed me that springs are not covered under warranty. Inquired about cost of each spring with spares deptt. Those were out of stock & priced at approx 650/- each.

Inputs on this required please.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 11:16   #1775

Hey Folks,

Got a 16 GB Transcend USB Flash drive (formatted to FAT 32- the manual says FAT 32 is an acceptable format) but when I plonk the drive in, the HU only says "USB Reading". It however plays a 2 GB and 4 GB HP drive quite normally.

Is there something I am missing? If I am please could you tell me what it is that I am missing?

Cheers,
Stribog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 13:17   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog
Hey Folks,

Got a 16 GB Transcend USB Flash drive (formatted to FAT 32- the manual says FAT 32 is an acceptable format) but when I plonk the drive in, the HU only says "USB Reading". It however plays a 2 GB and 4 GB HP drive quite normally.

Is there something I am missing? If I am please could you tell me what it is that I am missing?

Cheers,
Fat32 shouldn't be a problem.
How are the hp drives formatted to? Fat or fat32?
How much is the 16 gb drive loaded?
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 15:14   #1777
Team-BHP Support

Anyone else owns an AT and thinks the brakes are terrible?

I just took delivery of my CRDi A/T and almost rear-ended a rickshaw on my 2 km drive home. It's like there is no bite at all till the very end. Apart from that, the lack of telescopic adjustment for the steering was just a complete shocker, considering I drove there in my i20 which has the feature and is the most comfortable car to drive in the house, in my opinion.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 15:51   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post

I just took delivery of my CRDi A/T and almost rear-ended a rickshaw on my 2 km drive home. It's like there is no bite at all till the very end. Apart from that, the lack of telescopic adjustment for the steering was just a complete shocker.
Didn't you test drive the car before buying? Or the test drive vehicle didn't have these issues?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:36   #1779
BHPian

Hyundai has quietly slipped the AT option on EX variants of Verna (both petrol and diesel) which prove to be substantially cheaper entry point for automatics.

The Ex-showroom prices (Delhi) are:
Fluidic Verna VTVT 1.6 EX AT : Rs. 878,158
Fluidic Verna CRDi 1.6 EX AT : Rs. 1,012,338

Checkout the prices here: http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/BuyaHyu...SF_Prices.aspx
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 17:16   #1780
BHPian

Quote:

I just took delivery of my CRDi A/T and almost rear-ended a rickshaw on my 2 km drive home. It's like there is no bite at all till the very end.
Take it this is your first AT I used to feel the same when I first got my i10 AT, when you brake, there is a general downshift as well and the car picks up speed again thanks to going into a higher rpm band. Also there is no engine braking.

This invariably happens at lower speeds, not such an issue with retardation when the car is above 60-70.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 19:26   #1781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Take it this is your first AT I used to feel the same when I first got my i10 AT, when you brake, there is a general downshift as well and the car picks up speed again thanks to going into a higher rpm band. Also there is no engine braking.

This invariably happens at lower speeds, not such an issue with retardation when the car is above 60-70.
Actually my other daily drive is a 320d which doesn't doesn't suffer from this strange problem. A downshift may be induced I agree, but it cannot cause the vehicle to speed up for sure.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 13:22   #1782
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone of you changed the gear lever to the one which comes standard with SX(O) variant? I am desparately trying to get onem but service centre keeps asking me to get them the part code and then they can order it.

I saw on some other forums that people have ordered this from local hyundai service centre.

Can anyone help me out here?

I want the below lever:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review-gear20knob.jpg  

revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 15:33   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Actually my other daily drive is a 320d which doesn't doesn't suffer from this strange problem. A downshift may be induced I agree, but it cannot cause the vehicle to speed up for sure.
In that case, I would attribute this to the 4-speed Hyundai AT gearbox, as I've faced many similar situations with my i10 AT for sure ! A good example being late slowing down for a speedbreaker with the brake pedal pressed halfway. Funnily, as I mentioned earlier, the braking is fairly competent at higher speeds.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 09:43   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Fat32 shouldn't be a problem.
How are the hp drives formatted to? Fat or fat32?
How much is the 16 gb drive loaded?
The HP is formatted to a Fat format, I have read on other forums as well that people seem to be having an issue with Transcend. Would a Sandisk or Kingston help? The drive is currently loaded to approx 8 GB.

Question on the BT functionality.

I have a BB Curve 8520, and having consistent issues with the BT Handsfree service. Every time I shut down the system and then restart it, the phone only keeps giving out the message " Connecting to Verna", so I am forced to delete the paired Verna, and then add it newly. The problems continue as when I re-pair and re-connect, the Handsfree option comes up some times, and does not come up an equal number of times, so I just have to keep deleting, adding, and connecting, and after 3-4 attempts, I get the handsfree option.

Anybody else facing this problem?
Stribog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 13:20   #1785
BHPian

I am into the 4th month of ownership of my verna diesel. The car has done about 5000km .I request fellow members to help me out with some clarifications listed below:
  1. When I strictly follow the gear shift indicator esp from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5, I find that engine starts lugging as the city traffic does not allow me to keep up with the revvs and then I have to down shift thereby resulting in frequent gear shifts. The only option is to do higher rpms on 3rd gear. I believe this will have an impact on the FE, isn't it ? How many of you actually follow the gear shift indicator strictly? Do you shift gears as per the gear shift indicator or based on the rpms?

2. In the 2nd gear, the car has a tendency to jump ahead if you don't keep the clutch pressed. I prefer to drive in the 2nd gear in a slow moving traffic instead of 1st gear and end up driving mostly using the clutch as the car is always willing to lunge forward. Is it the same with everyone? How do you go about driving in an extremely slow moving traffic?

3. When I started off, I used to get FE of around 17-18 in city but now it has come down to 15 with AC in a stop start traffic. I have never gone beyond 2500rpm till date. What could be the reason?

4. Recently I did a Bangalore - Goa trip and the FE while going with 4 guys in the cabin was 20.3 and while returning was 18.3 with 5 guys in the cabin. Does the lower FE attribute to an extra person ? What has been your experience in a similar situation.

Details of the car's performance during my Goa trip can be found at the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2965340 (GOA Reloaded - 5 days of unbridled Joy and insanity)

Your response will be much appreciated.
champ27 is offline   Reply With Quote