Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 30th April 2011, 12:18   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

A pic of the rear split seats folded. Image sourced from Hyundai Accent Gallery: Safe, Small Cars - More Interior Than Corolla & Civic | Hyundai Hope the Indian version too sports all possible goodies listed in the US site. Fingers crossed!

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 4340
Size:  50.7 KB
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 12:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Further, due to the 6 speed transmission, your engine is relatively less strained (around 2000 rpm at 100kph) which also leads to better fuel economy.
Absolutely agreed. In my current Indica I can barely manage to cross 70kmph, at 2000rpm, in 5th gear, still able to extract 18+kmpl on a regular basis. So if the Verna can manage 100kmph @ 2000rpm on 6th gear, then I am sure the fuel economy would be phenomenal.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 13:08   #168
BHPian

Smile Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Guys let me ask you something. how many of you guys consider yourself as an average Indian looking for a daily commute vehicle? We all love our cars and wish for the impossible from the next car. I think we can and we should crib about the handling.If we don't, then who will?
The cars looks great and ticks almost all the right boxes for many. I think the new verna will be a phenomenal sucess unless they kill it by the pricing. Heck Dezire was selling like hot cake in this country. Given the A$$ and the network Hyundai have, you won't be standed long away from a service centre too.

On another note did any of you guys see some pictures with the new verna sporting led running lamps in the fog lamps? I am shopping already
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 14:16   #169
BHPian

Too be really frank and honest here, the panel gaps are making this car look ugly. It's only my opinion. Look at the four competitors that Zappo has pitted it agaisnt and you'll see the difference. Major Turnoff! (No Salute :P)
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 14:38   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Too be really frank and honest here, the panel gaps are making this car look ugly. It's only my opinion. Look at the four competitors that Zappo has pitted it agaisnt and you'll see the difference. Major Turnoff! (No Salute :P)
@ creative
I wouldn't be worried at the panel gaps till I see the production versions. They did manage to make i10 with minimum panel gaps. I believe they will surely take care of that when making a car twice the price?
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 16:31   #171
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Deb. You have covered every aspect of the car in minute details and is one stop shop for a prospective buyer.

Looks wise, I am glad they atleast smoothened out the shapeless curves of the transform and made it much more linear. But, i am not sure if my eyes are faltering but, it looks pretty much inspired from an ANHC. Overall, I dont think i like the looks from any angle including the side stance in which most cars look their best.

There is also no great improvement in the interior design and dash looks exactly like previous generation except the quality now looks slightly better. I just so wish they had chosen a black theme instead of that beige tone that has been beaten to death by all manafacturers. I now despise this color tone and feel it looks good only in very high end cars.

I too echo the feelings of disappointment on the suspension set-up. I drove the Verna extensively and comparatively by Accent Viva used to handle much better at 140kmph+ speeds. Hoped it would be the key parameter for them to sort out in this version, but I guess it didnt happen.

Btw, whats the curb weight of this car? I dont think weight has increased much from previous version. If yes, then considering it has 126BHP, it's power to weight ratio would be awesome. It would be a killer as long as its in a straight line. Again, i assume tyre upgrades are mandatory as they look skinny to me.

Overall, a good package for a straight line speed enthusiast and not so particular on handling, buyer

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th April 2011 at 16:32.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

Another question, maybe a more stupid one!

If someone is looking for Altis/Civic/Laura, would it make sense to instead but Verna. What i get is all for Disc brakes (Same as them), Little less power, better feature music system than them, safety same as them.

So apart from little less power (And surely lot less money) i am getting this which is much the same if i am fine with the powermill, or am i missing something (Like leg room space, boot space etc)?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:09   #173
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Overall good review.
Let me ask a dumb question:
There is a whole lot of discussion about this new car being compared with VW Vento and ANHC. Is this comparison fair? I always believed that Manza, Dzire, Etios, Aveo, Fiesta and old Verna belong to one category and ANHC/Vento belong to a slightly higher category. May be the belief was based on the visible size of the car. May be I am missing something big. Does anyone have outer dimensions of ANHC, Vento and New Verna handy for a quick comparison?

Edit : Just saw the comment posted immediately before mine. Now Verna is getting compared with Altis/Civic/Laura also. More confusion.

Last edited by SDP : 30th April 2011 at 17:12.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:09   #174
BHPian

@mayankjha - A very logical thought & not stupid at all. The only thing you are missing out on will be snob value. But if your the type who prefers enjoying your car rather than what others think of it, its an excellent choice.
And if you end up buying the top end variant, you get everything that the segment above offers & then some. Extras which even the segment above dont have is the Ionizer, Rear view cam integrated into the rear view mirror, all four discs (as already mentioned by you) & 6 airbags instead of 2. Couple these with the number of & quality of hyundai service centres & that you will paying less & it seems like the sweetest deal

@SDP - The Etios & Dzire belong to the entry midsize category. The Aveo, Fiesta, Verna, ANHC, Vento & Linea belong to the C segment. The Manza lies somewhere in between.

Last edited by Xehaust : 30th April 2011 at 17:14.
Xehaust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:23   #175
Team-BHP Support

To add to that the Verna 1.6 diesel is quicker than the Altis and the Civic. Similar bhp in Verna diesel compared to Altis and Civic. So it's not like cheaper but lesser power.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:56   #176
BHPian

Brilliant review. I've been looking at all the reviews on sites like AC, ZW, plus the videos. Don't see them doing an analysis as comprehensive as this.

There's normally a section titled "Small but significant things". Didn't see that this time.

As an urban driver, I don't get out on the open road much, but could someone tell me where are you legally permitted to drive at speeds of 100+ km/hr? On highways? If yes, what are the speed limits there or are there none?

I think this car is meant to be a city slicker, not meant for these extreme speeds.

If Hyundai had put in a sun roof, paddle shifts and cruise control, that would've been the icing or am I being too greedy?

Badge value to me is meaningless. Give me a feature rich, reliable car any day than a fuel guzzling, large carbon print, cost ineffective one!

This car is a winner in my opinion. Simply put - value for hard earned money, showing you how some brands rip you off with high costs with poor returns.
incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 18:42   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
@mayankjha - A very logical thought & not stupid at all. The only thing you are missing out on will be snob value. But if your the type who prefers enjoying your car rather than what others think of it, its an excellent choice.
And if you end up buying the top end variant, you get everything that the segment above offers & then some. Extras which even the segment above dont have is the Ionizer, Rear view cam integrated into the rear view mirror, all four discs (as already mentioned by you) & 6 airbags instead of 2. Couple these with the number of & quality of hyundai service centres & that you will paying less & it seems like the sweetest deal
And how about space as compared to Civic, Altis, Laura in terms of Leg room esp in the rear, and boot space. I am sure it will be less but how much less is the question. Maybe need to hit the showroom and see for myself.

I am sure this would push the others to give more for the same cost.
Old 30th April 2011, 18:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

And i think paying 4+L OTR just for the snob value would be foolish and would rather save that money for my next car . Just checked the Autocar and as far as rear leg room is concerned its about 9-10 cms (about the size of my palm) less than Civic and Altis but equal to Laura. This data is for the old Verna not sure if the new one is more spacious.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 30th April 2011 at 18:55. Reason: Forgot to add data
Old 30th April 2011, 18:53   #179
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review Zappo.

Hyundai finally replaced the fugly Verna with a good looking one. good for them. Public's going to like the looks, diesel, features, 16 inch wheels. Public is not going to care about handling past 140.

But they sure will find the lack on low end torque disappointing. I wished they had tuned it differently - but then again - Hyundai would have been looking at a tall gearing and a better ARAI number.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 19:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

The ARAI approved mileage of 1.6 petrol automatic is IIRC about 15.8xx. kmpl and diesel automatic is 19.xx (high 19s) kmpl.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote