Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 12:01   #1936
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Is this exactly the same 1.4 thats' there in the i20? They are budget bound and car home price <10L and 1.4 EX fits the bill well. They TD Sunny, Scala etc, but had to reject them for some or the other reasons best known to them.

Regards,
Yep, it's the same engine, in the same tune as the i20 crdi. If it was me, I would pay the 50K difference and buy the 1.6 crdi. I own an I20 Crdi (though it's the earlier 5-speed one) and the turbo-lag can be a pain in traffic.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 12:13   #1937
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,421
Thanked: 670 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Yep, it's the same engine, in the same tune as the i20 crdi. If it was me, I would pay the 50K difference and buy the 1.6 crdi. I own an I20 Crdi (though it's the earlier 5-speed one) and the turbo-lag can be a pain in traffic.
I agree with you. I tried explaining that to them but their logic is going in different direction (50k for 200 cc more vs 50k for diesel) . I too own a i20 Crdi, 6 speed manual. But i wasn't sure if its the same engine in Verna.

Thanks.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 13:48   #1938
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,681
Thanked: 1,456 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadav View Post
Guys - I am getting < 10 kmpl in city roads (Gurgaon). I am being very careful not to cross 2K rpm at any point on time. The MID display shows from 9.5 to 10.2... but in actual if i calculate (tank full to full method), it comes out to 9....Mine is Petrol Feb 2013 model with 5800 kms onboard. Can anyone with Petrol version please share? Slowly, i am getting frustrated with this now....

Regards,
- Raj
Hi @ryadav

Hyundai petrol cars are no match to Honda or Toyota in terms of efficiency. My cousin's Honda City manages ~12 kmpl in Gurgaon. I believe this is fair mileage from a 1.6L petrol mill. The difference is also because of wider tyres on the Verna (195mm as compared to 175mm on the City). But, it is still equal to or better than most other contemporaries (SX4, Vento, etc.).

However, IMO your efficiency should increase as you cross 10K kms on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Any Verna 1.4 Crdi owners here? A friends' dad is planning to buy the 1.4 Crdi EX variant. I checked the prices and there is about ~50k difference between 1.4 & 1.6 EX variants. Since the useage is 95% city based (45 kms one way to factory, so 90 kms / day & hence diesel is a must) as her dad never drives on the highways so feels that 1.4 should be enough for their useage.

Is this exactly the same 1.4 thats' there in the i20? They are budget bound and car home price <10L and 1.4 EX fits the bill well. They TD Sunny, Scala etc, but had to reject them for some or the other reasons best known to them.

Regards,
I do not think your friend will loose out much on the mileage front if they go for the 1.6L mill (1-2 kmpl at max). Moreover, 1.6L mill will be a better performer on those few occassions when they try out the straight roads. I would suggest going for the bigger mill.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 14:06   #1939
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 24
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Thanks Cardeep. I agree that Hyundai is far behind in terms of efficiency. My Ford Fusion 1.6 Petrol earlier used to give a consistent 12+ kmpl regardless of idling and revving up instances. Let's see, i have another 4K kms to go before i see any improvement.
You have a Petrol or Diesel one?
ryadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 15:54   #1940
BHPian
 
Fusion2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 146
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadav View Post
Guys - I am getting < 10 kmpl in city roads (Gurgaon). I am being very careful not to cross 2K rpm at any point on time. The MID display shows from 9.5 to 10.2... but in actual if i calculate (tank full to full method), it comes out to 9....Mine is Petrol Feb 2013 model with 5800 kms onboard. Can anyone with Petrol version please share? Slowly, i am getting frustrated with this now....

Regards,
- Raj
I drive a 2012 Petrol 1.6 in Gurgaon too... I get 10.5 to 11 kmpl during monsoon (when the roads are bad and traffic is much more stop/start). Otherwise, when the roads are in better shape, and with smoother driving conditions, I get 11.5 to 12, even with the ACC on all the time.
On a trip to Mussoorie I got about 13. I've done about 11,000 on the meter, and don't often go above 2K rpm either...
Fusion2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 10:52   #1941
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 24
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I drive a 2012 Petrol 1.6 in Gurgaon too... I get 10.5 to 11 kmpl during monsoon (when the roads are bad and traffic is much more stop/start). Otherwise, when the roads are in better shape, and with smoother driving conditions, I get 11.5 to 12, even with the ACC on all the time.
On a trip to Mussoorie I got about 13. I've done about 11,000 on the meter, and don't often go above 2K rpm either...
Are you part of the Fusion Yahoo group as well?
ryadav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 20:42   #1942
BHPian
 
Fusion2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 146
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadav View Post
Are you part of the Fusion Yahoo group as well?
I did join it a long time ago, but never really participated in that group. I sold my Fusion last year.

I guess we are going a bit OT here

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 12th September 2013 at 20:46.
Fusion2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 08:46   #1943
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 24
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I did join it a long time ago, but never really participated in that group. I sold my Fusion last year.

I guess we are going a bit OT here
OK. I was curious since i am the moderator of that group. Anyways, thanks
ryadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 11:52   #1944
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,681
Thanked: 1,456 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadav View Post
Thanks Cardeep. I agree that Hyundai is far behind in terms of efficiency. My Ford Fusion 1.6 Petrol earlier used to give a consistent 12+ kmpl regardless of idling and revving up instances. Let's see, i have another 4K kms to go before i see any improvement.
You have a Petrol or Diesel one?
Hi @ryadav

I have already suggested that the mileage of your Verna Petrol would get better by 5-10% after 10K kms on the odo. But, still wider tyres & heavier build do adversely affect your mileage 1-2 kms per litre of petrol. If it still pinches, you may go for CNG sequential kit which would help save fuel bills. I have seen quite a few premium cars in NCR running of these kits & CNG prices in Gurgaon are cheaper than Delhi, if I'm not wrong. You will loose out 200 litres boot space at max.

Hyundai & Kia have taken giant strides in engine & automobile development, & barring few niche makers they are as good as any other auto manufacturer in terms of petrol engines, & have own diesel engine R&D in Korea.

Competitors cannot ignore them at the moment, & for same buyers, unless they plan to loose a genuine option at the time of purchase of new vehicle.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:05   #1945
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Fluidic Verna: Slow Pickup

Hi all,

I have been facing this small issue ever since I bought home my Fluidic Verna (VTVT). The car has a really slow pickup on low RPMs. For example on gear 1 - from 1000 to1700 RPM, the pickup is really slow, and then the car shoots like a bullet. Almost similar behaviour happens on 2nd gear. From 1400 to 1800 very slow speed gain, and then it is an uncatchable bullet!

I asked the service advisor about it (at 10k service), and his response was that aisa hi hota hai sir.

It is a petrol car, and not a diesel one, so such behaviour should not happen ideally. I am confused! Someone help

PS: Mods, I tried finding similar thread, but couldnt help. Please merge if necessary

Last edited by furobiker : 13th September 2013 at 12:06. Reason: added detail
furobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:10   #1946
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 24
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @ryadav

I have already suggested that the mileage of your Verna Petrol would get better by 5-10% after 10K kms on the odo. But, still wider tyres & heavier build do adversely affect your mileage 1-2 kms per litre of petrol. If it still pinches, you may go for CNG sequential kit which would help save fuel bills. I have seen quite a few premium cars in NCR running of these kits & CNG prices in Gurgaon are cheaper than Delhi, if I'm not wrong. You will loose out 200 litres boot space at max.

Hyundai & Kia have taken giant strides in engine & automobile development, & barring few niche makers they are as good as any other auto manufacturer in terms of petrol engines, & have own diesel engine R&D in Korea.

Competitors cannot ignore them at the moment, & for same buyers, unless they plan to loose a genuine option at the time of purchase of new vehicle.
Hi @Cardeep,
It is not really pinching since my running is very less, 200-250 kms in a month. But i was under the impression that FE for Verna 1.6 is as good as other's in the same segment. Atleast i should see double digit FE..
CNG has never been my cup of tea, have never liked it and now with the looooong queues on all CNG stations in Gurgaon...NO.
ryadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:19   #1947
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,681
Thanked: 1,456 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryadav View Post
Hi @Cardeep,
It is not really pinching since my running is very less, 200-250 kms in a month. But i was under the impression that FE for Verna 1.6 is as good as other's in the same segment. Atleast i should see double digit FE..
CNG has never been my cup of tea, have never liked it and now with the looooong queues on all CNG stations in Gurgaon...NO.
For 200-250 kms per month, your running is very less, probably your car doesn't even gets warmed up properly for optimum performance & mileage. Hope fully your mileage will increase as desired by the winters, & thereafter as more miles you put on (maybe ~ 11 kmpl). But, it won't be something like 12+ what my cousin manages on her City in Gurgaon.

CNG does not makes sense for your kind of running... & yes CNG queues are really 3-4 times longer in Gurgaon as compared to Delhi or Faridabad (my location).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:22   #1948
BHPian
 
KALINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PUNE
Posts: 689
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Fluidic Verna: Slow Pickup

Hello Furobiker,

I am not an expert. But my observation is same for my Hyundai petrol cars. I had Santro & Getz (Used a total of 8 yrs). Both had the slow pick up in low RPM. I believe this is the known issue with all Hyundai petrol cars.

But I do not observer such issue with Honda / Maruti etc..

This is my personal experience do not have any technical explanation.

The only solution I can think of is "ECU Remapping" + Airfilter upgrade. No idea if any external chip is available for Petrol car.

Last edited by KALINGA : 13th September 2013 at 12:24.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:23   #1949
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Fluidic Verna: Slow Pickup

The easiest solution would be to drive another verna VTVT and do a comparison. Or you could confirm with the spec sheet on when the peak torque is generated.
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 12:25   #1950
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,425
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Fluidic Verna: Slow Pickup

Agree , it could be the characteristics of the car , from what i remember from all the test drives i took of the car it was a slow starter till the engine was spooling at a decent pace.

Your experience was different with the test drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The easiest solution would be to drive another verna VTVT and do a comparison. Or you could confirm with the spec sheet on when the peak torque is generated.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review Stratos Official New Car Reviews 387 5th July 2016 11:49
Hyundai Verna 1.5 CRDi Diesel Automatic Test Drive - My Views VSG12777 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 12th January 2011 10:43
Hyundai Verna(VGT) test drive(torture drive) tsk1979 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 3rd October 2008 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks