Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th March 2014, 18:26   #2071
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I have 2011-Sept Verna 1.6 CRDI & also have driven my sis's 2014 i-20 Asta petrol. My Verna is extremely notorious at rear due to it's soft rear suspensions which is clearly evident on wavy roads with full load, at speeds as slow as say 60/70 & beyond. I found 2014 i-20 is way better in this regard.

For me, steering of my Verna pose no problem till 130 kmph. Rather I enjoy the light steering in city & at parking slots. i-20's steering felt almost the same to me.

No experience of 2014 Verna yet. If any one has, please share. If it has stiffer rear suspension set up, can older Verna be made the same by replacing rear springs, suspension etc. If yes, what can be the approximate expenses ?

Cheers
I believe there was TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Hyundai and another BHPian, Amyth went ahead with this replacement under warranty recently.

For cars under warranty this replacement is free but if you are off the warranty it would cost around 10K is what I heard. I will let Amyth and other BHPians who have gone ahead with such a replacement to provide additional details.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:20   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I believe there was TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Hyundai and another BHPian, Amyth went ahead with this replacement under warranty recently.

For cars under warranty this replacement is free but if you are off the warranty it would cost around 10K is what I heard. I will let Amyth and other BHPians who have gone ahead with such a replacement to provide additional details.
My car ( Sept-2011 model) is out of warranty now. I had inquired about the TSB when my car was under warranty. SA informed me that the TSB was not applicable for my car after checking the VIN number.

I will be ok only if the rear suspension becomes stiffer. Inputs plz. from those who have already done it. Is it worth spending 10k or thereabouts ?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:23   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
My car ( Sept-2011 model) is out of warranty now. I had inquired about the TSB when my car was under warranty. SA informed me that the TSB was not applicable for my car after checking the VIN number.

I will be ok only if the rear suspension becomes stiffer. Inputs plz. from those who have already done it. Is it worth spending 10k or thereabouts ?

Thanks
To my knowledge they change all 4 springs. I have had the chance to be a passenger on an older Verna (1 year old) with updated Springs and the suspension feels definitely much stiffer and the bottoming out problem on speed breakers is greatly addressed. I do not have much to say about highway driving experience since I have only been in the car within city limits.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:32   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
To my knowledge they change all 4 springs. I have had the chance to be a passenger on an older Verna (1 year old) with updated Springs and the suspension feels definitely much stiffer and the bottoming out problem on speed breakers is greatly addressed. I do not have much to say about highway driving experience since I have only been in the car within city limits.
The rear suspension is so pathetic that, if you are five inside, you can n't cross a speed of 60 kmph on wavy roads. Same road you can cruise at 100 kmph easily if you are alone or have just one passenger at front. Not much problem on broken roads though. Do you think only replacing the springs will do the trick or the entire suspension system need to be replaced.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:38   #2075
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
The rear suspension is so pathetic that, if you are five inside, you can n't cross a speed of 60 kmph on wavy roads. Same road you can cruise at 100 kmph easily if you are alone or have just one passenger at front. Not much problem on broken roads though. Do you think only replacing the springs will do the trick or the entire suspension system need to be replaced.
I got all 4 springs replaced recently under warranty and it has definitely improved the ride quality. I suggest you go over my post to get more details regarding this.

For a complete review

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...reet-hawk.html (Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk)

Successful Suspension Replacement for Fluidic Verna:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...et-hawk-4.html (Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk)
Amyth Prabhakar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 10:29   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Do we have any feedback from users of 2014 Hyundai Verna ?
Have booked my beauty and have delivery slated in mid April. Will be sharing an ownership review by April end.
TheBigH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 13:22   #2077
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Got a dark grey Diesel Automatic SX last evening. Currently at 3M for some minor work. So far I've driven it around 50 kms, and I can tell you the drive is fantastic!! The car feels like a petrol to drive - super silent!! Installed leather seats at the dealer end along with freebie auto windows and 3M under body coating. Will post pics soon.

Opted for this car over the new Honda City and I'm extremely happy with the decision! The Honda costs 1.5L more for the top end and its petrol. Not to mention the 5-6 month waiting period.

Last edited by NIP : 27th March 2014 at 13:27.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 14:18   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Got a dark grey Diesel Automatic SX last evening.
Congrats NIP. When I bought mine last year, the Verna diesel was just 50K costlier than the Petrol Honda City and the decision was a no brainer.

I would like to know your experience on whether suspension/handling has improved in the 2014 version. I did replace my front springs because it was making too much thud noises. The noises reduced marginally, but did not go off completely.
Voyager-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 19:05   #2079

Mod team note: Fixing Quotes, please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
My car ( Sept-2011 model) is out of warranty now.
You could have opted for extended warranty. Mine is May2011 model with odo reading 47k and is still under warranty. I had checked with my service advisor during my last service and I was told Verna currently has 5 year warranty. I paid around 8k for my third year warranty.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th March 2014 at 19:36.
manumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 22:01   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumike View Post
[b]Mod team note:

You could have opted for extended warranty. Mine is May2011 model with odo reading 47k and is still under warranty. I had checked with my service advisor during my last service and I was told Verna currently has 5 year warranty. I paid around 8k for my third year warranty.
I have not opted for extended warranty. Even if I had, I doubt if Hyndai would have replaced all the springs under warranty. Suspension problem, particularly the rear ones are from day 1. But they had not replaced the springs when I had raised the issue sometime in June-13. The car was under warranty then.

I will be more than happy to spend around 5.5 k, which is the approx cost of replacing all four springs, provided the problem is solved. Fingers crossed.

How is your experience about the suspension ? Have you replaced the springs?

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 27th March 2014 at 22:03. Reason: addition
Old 28th March 2014, 10:56   #2081
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Got a dark grey Diesel Automatic SX last evening. Currently at 3M for some minor work. So far I've driven it around 50 kms, and I can tell you the drive is fantastic!! The car feels like a petrol to drive - super silent!! Installed leather seats at the dealer end along with freebie auto windows and 3M under body coating.
Congratulations. Feedback on the AT please? I am to make my down payment in the first week of April and would appreciate feedback on anything which I should watch out for. Are you getting teflon? I have refrained from it and had also thought of under body coating from 3M. What all are you getting from 3M? Any feedback will be helpful.
TheBigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 08:56   #2082
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Congrats NIP. When I bought mine last year, the Verna diesel was just 50K costlier than the Petrol Honda City and the decision was a no brainer.

I would like to know your experience on whether suspension/handling has improved in the 2014 version. I did replace my front springs because it was making too much thud noises. The noises reduced marginally, but did not go off completely.
Its till too early to say and I've not driven the older model much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
Congratulations. Feedback on the AT please? I am to make my down payment in the first week of April and would appreciate feedback on anything which I should watch out for. Are you getting teflon? I have refrained from it and had also thought of under body coating from 3M. What all are you getting from 3M? Any feedback will be helpful.
The AT is brilliant, you should have no doubts here. Regarding 3M, do not go for teflon. I got the paint protection thing done which is more like a good wax polish which will protect from dust and minor scratches for about a year. They also have a clear wrap (sticker) which I got near the door handles, door sides and running board - extremely useful !! Under body I got free from the dealer.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 14:45   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
The AT is brilliant, you should have no doubts here.
Did you also get the extended warranty? If you don't mind, would you mind sharing the price breakup and the total on road price via PM? Also, can you please let me know what state did you register the car in since registration costs differ from state to state. I will have a Gurgaon registration. Many thanks in advance.
TheBigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 13:23   #2084
BHPian

I've recently purchased a 2011 Verna SX, and was wondering if it had Dual Zone ACC? The website mentions that it has full auto air conditioning which lets the driver select one climate level setting and the passenger another.

Does the older one have this too?
mzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 15:00   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a dark grey Diesel Automatic SX last evening.
Are you planning to put up an ownership thread? Do you feel the lack of 5th gear on highways? Did you notice what RPM the engine will be doing when you are cruising at 100, 120 kmph in 4th gear?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote