Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Nice review but its lacks detailed pictures

1. Rear window visibility picture.
2. ORVM visibility picture
3. IRVM visibility picture
4. Full front seat picture
5. Front legroom for min/max after seat adjustments.
6. Foot well picture.
7. Rear seat folding pictures at various available options.
8. Under body/ Road level shots to get an idea of ground clearance/ to know how well the equipments are tucked together.
9. Rear center Armrest storage compartment picture
10. Rear passenger height clearance.
11. inside shot of glovebox
12. front storage space near gear/ arm rest
13. Head rest pictures with their angles
14. Seat adjustment lever pictures
15. Room lamp
16. stack controls
17. Spare tyre/ and the tools offered and how well it put together
18. Side view from the rear bunch.
That is some keen observation!We have become spoilt by GTO's reviews havnt we?

You have mentioned some very useful points,hope they get answered.
But still reviews like this verna here even sans those minute details are much more useful than any auto mag review.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:08   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
2) I read somewhere long back, that top end model of 'ANHV' will have 4 speakers +2 tweeters, were they visible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
- while I saw the 4 door mounted speakers I am not sure about the tweeters. Initially I thought the slats on the dashboard top near the A pillars have the tweeters. It is possible the there is a pair of tweeters hidden there somewhere but those slats also gave out cool air. And yet, there were two more slats on the dash corners facing the front passengers...
Tweeters are placed on the front doors inside the ORVM flap cover (known as front door delta cover)
Name:  Tweeter.JPG
Views: 4512
Size:  17.7 KB

Quote:
- There is no rear AC vent and as far as I remember no rear power socket either.
Like in the i20 the rear vents may be placed under the front seats.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:09   #198
BHPian

@avishar,
That is very true. I have been reading all the reviews in the net. This is the best we have. Zappo did put a lot of effort into it. But I guess we are all spoiled by GTO.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:49   #199
BHPian

I gathered data on the interior dimensions of the old Verna and new Verna from US web sites - since the US accent and Indian verna are same. Surprisingly though the wheelbase is longer with new Verna/Accent, leg space seems be less.

New verna (Hyundai Accent Trim: Safe, Small Cars - More Interior Than Corolla & Civic | Hyundai)

Wheelbase: 101.2 inch (=2570cm)
Leg room (in., front / rear) 41.8 / 33.3

Old Verna (2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4-Door Features and Specs)

Wheelbase: 98.4 inch (2499cm)
Leg room front (in) 42.8
Leg room rear (in) 34.3

I thought this was not probably right, so I looked at a few other sites and found the same data as above for the old accent/verna.

No wonder the pics in this review did not seem to show great legroom at the rear. I had higher expectations due to the longer wheelbase.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 18:19   #200
BHPian

I wonder why sidindica is not posting any more info since a while. I am sure scoop master knows something about the pricing by now.

@mohan, that was a bit shocking info it true. Does it has to do something the the lay out of the engine? I can't understand how they can manage to have less space inside otherwise

Last edited by Zappo : 1st May 2011 at 19:44. Reason: No back to back posts please.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:57   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
That is some keen observation!We have become spoilt by GTO's reviews havnt we?
Well, we had a total of close to may be 200 pics to begin with. Everything can't be uploaded or put up. nor is that desirable, particularly on a web page. It's a matter of picking a good combination of pics to go with the review rather than everything that you have. The idea is to convey enough details and showcase the important aspects of the car to arm each of you with enough details so as to help you make an informed decision when it comes to that. I am sure for small details like a view of the shallow (2 inch) storage space/tray under the back center arm rest and many other such details we can always check the real car out, when it comes to that.

I see a huge debate on these pages on the driving dynamics at 130, some even taking it to 130 at the corners. Then someone said the "the back steps out of the line" and started debating on that.

Please do read the review carefully once more. You do not need to drive at the corners at 130. Even on a beautiful stretch of straight tarred road if you encounter a small dip (very regular on Indian highways) or a small undulation and the car pitches, rocks and shows signs of body roll you will not like it one bit, take it from me. And that is the grouse here. Not the corners at 130 kmph speeds. Similarly the back stepping out of line has been said in the context of twisties you encounter on the ghats and when for some reason you need to stand on the brakes all of a sudden. This is when the back threatens to step out of the line.

Finally, IMO, you need good dynamics not necessarily to attack corners at 130 km/h but just to ensure that every unevenness on the road does not give you butteerflies in your tummy. And that's when the high speed dynamics become important, at least to me.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st May 2011 at 20:03.
Zappo is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 20:14   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
@mohan, that was a bit shocking info it true. Does it has to do something the the lay out of the engine? I can't understand how they can manage to have less space inside otherwise
I dont know. Is it also due to increased boot space? Passenger/Cargo volume info from the same sites:

Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 89.7(new) 92 (old)
Cargo volume (cu. ft.) 13.7 (new) 12.4 (old)

Overall length (in) 172.0 (new) 168.5 (old)
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 20:28   #203
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I gathered data on the interior dimensions of the old Verna and new Verna from US web sites - since the US accent and Indian verna are same. Surprisingly though the wheelbase is longer with new Verna/Accent, leg space seems be less.

New verna (Hyundai Accent Trim: Safe, Small Cars - More Interior Than Corolla & Civic | Hyundai)
In the US they offer 6 speed auto tranny
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 21:16   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Like in the i20 the rear vents may be placed under the front seats.
Thanks for that info. If that is really true, then I would strike off one of the deal breakers. I don't want the back benchers to be at the mercy of the front AC grills in the scorching heat of Indian summer when I am paying a million rupees for my car. However are these rear AC vents really effective? Everyone loves the blast of cold air directly on the face. Is this possible with such a kind of design? Zappo or current i20 owners your inputs would be highly appreciated in this case.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 21:26   #205
BHPian

Guys went to book the new verna 2011,he told me launch by 11 may,he said hyundia has started production of the car,told me 75k for booking,well iam gonna xchange my current verna vgt.By the way if u people are watching ipl,the ad is saying coming 11 may,so confirmed by hyundia.i think people are making a big deal about the handling,being a current owner of verna vgt,civic auto.i love driving the verna,i mainly got it for the diesel engine and power it has and sales and service of hyundia.for daily use from home to office and back i dont think u will push the car to 130 or tell the driver go fast,infact my verna has gone more out of town than my civic.Civic is a awesome car no doubt, but for daily use verna is amazing,people are saying soo much power is waste,i dont think,its soo much fun to drive in small bursts I touch 110 to 120 in my verna in no time,having a car with no abs,i havent had any problem in handling the car,i think if u are a good driver u know how to handle different kinds of car,and adjust acoordingly Iam surely buying the 1.6d sxo.booking it tommorow,only confused between the colors frankly speaking i have pushed my verna more hard than my civic.i love both my cars,but civic i use only on weekends.i went to see the vento d , but was dissapointed by the features they were offering in a 11 lac car.iam sooo happy i waited for the new verna RB just dying to get one with all those feartures whic are not even in my 16 lac civic.
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 21:47   #206
BHPian

@KPS, I too saw that. I even configured a car with all the bells and whistles. Guess what was the final price ~$17000 which will be around 7.65 lakhs. Here we won't get the 1.6 SX for that price. Lucky them.
Old 1st May 2011, 22:28   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for that info. If that is really true, then I would strike off one of the deal breakers. I don't want the back benchers to be at the mercy of the front AC grills in the scorching heat of Indian summer when I am paying a million rupees for my car. However are these rear AC vents really effective? Everyone loves the blast of cold air directly on the face. Is this possible with such a kind of design? Zappo or current i20 owners your inputs would be highly appreciated in this case.
The ANHC too has AC ducts under the seat, but trust me, it really makes no difference, No one sitting at the back of my car have really felt it. In fact, the Vento that has rear AC vents, doesn't have a seperate blower and doesn't have a good throw too
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 23:24   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even on a beautiful stretch of straight tarred road if you encounter a small dip (very regular on Indian highways) or a small undulation and the car pitches, rocks and shows signs of body roll you will not like it one bit, take it from me. And that is the grouse here.................

when for some reason you need to stand on the brakes all of a sudden. This is when the back threatens to step out of the line.

Finally, IMO, you need good dynamics..just to ensure that every unevenness on the road does not give you butterflies in your tummy. And that's when the high speed dynamics become important, at least to me.
Thanks Zappo for clarification. That is one point for me that gets tick in Vento's favor
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:09   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I drive the i20. The rear A/C vents under the seats make absolutely no difference to the cooling. Cooled glove box / Rear Ac vents are there just to make up numbers on that long feature list!
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:04   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
And how about space as compared to Civic, Altis, Laura in terms of Leg room esp in the rear, and boot space. I am sure it will be less but how much less is the question. Maybe need to hit the showroom and see for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
And i think paying 4+L OTR just for the snob value would be foolish and would rather save that money for my next car . Just checked the Autocar and as far as rear leg room is concerned its about 9-10 cms (about the size of my palm) less than Civic and Altis but equal to Laura. This data is for the old Verna not sure if the new one is more spacious.
WRT space, we will have to wait for the official specifications to be available. Yes, i do think its better to check out the car & see for yourself as sometimes, numbers cannot alone tell you the real story. For example, cars with concave backs in the front seats liberate more leg space even though on paper, the dimensions may look small due to the numbers.
As for the old verna specs, the new one has a bigger wheelbase so it should probably be more spacious.
Completely agree with the thinking of saving those 4+L for the purchase of the next car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Verna just cannot be compared with a C+ segment car just because of its nearly equivalent powermill or some additional goodies. C+ segment cars have a much better overall drive feel in terms of ride and handling due to their longer wheelbase and better suspension characteristics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree with mobike008 that if someone is going for a C+ segment car, he will not look at a C segment car. The Civic and Cruze are leagues ahead, not only in space and comfort but also in handling.
Err, youll mean the D Segment. As for the better space, comfort & handling, it all depends on the requirements of the buyer. If a car of a lower segment satisfies his/her needs well, no reason to buy a higher segment just because it offers more.
And let me tell you, if you think that its a rule of the thumb that the higher the segment, the more comfortable & spacious the car, thats a very wrong notion. Just have a look at the C class/3 series as a case in point.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote