Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 27th April 2014, 00:54   #2146
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
We did a test drive of about 5-6 Km and as expected could not reproduce the thud noide.
I assume you guys tried to replace the noise at the rear. The noise at the front can be easily reproduced when going over speed breakers. In my 19K kms of driving the Nov'12 model Verna, I too did not hear the thud noise from the rear, but I need to say that only on few instances my car was fully loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Somewhere i feel lucky that I didn’t get the delivery of Xcent, Verna is definitely a better car and also a segment above.
Overall price difference was INR 1,50,000.00
Hope it will serve me well.
No doubts on this. The 1.5L additional spend is well justified. One thing which I find irritating in Verna is the lack of a true seat height adjuster compared to i10 Grand/Xcent/i20 or equivalent cars in Verna's segment (Verna has only a seat tilt adjustment).

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 27th April 2014 at 01:06.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 14:37   #2147
BHPian

Got the much awaited delivery of my new Hyundai Verna 2014.
Initial experience : Suspensions are much better, didn't scrap a single speed breaker with 4 people in car. headlights are also good if not bad, I found them better than my Polo. Would shortly update buying experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review-copy2_igp6483.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review-copy2_igp6484.jpg  

Last edited by Cooltronics : 27th April 2014 at 14:37. Reason: spell check
Cooltronics is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 16:15   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Initial experience : Suspensions are much better, didn't scrap a single speed breaker with 4 people in car. headlights are also good if not bad, I found them better than my Polo. Would shortly update buying experience.
Congratualations! The Verna is sure a stunning car. Now with improved GC and suspension, this sure is a compelling buy for anyone who wants a C2 segment car.
Regards,

P.S. Do you mean 'scrape' instead of 'scrap'
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 18:51   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I assume you guys tried to replace the noise at the rear. The noise at the front can be easily reproduced when going over speed breakers. In my 19K kms of driving the Nov'12 model Verna, I too did not hear the thud noise from the rear, but I need to say that only on few instances my car was fully loaded.
Actually, since the rubber pads on my rear suspension was replaced 2 weeks back, I was concentrating to try to get the sound from front. But as luck would have, could not reproduce it. In the end I almost gave up and got fed of banging the car in potholes.
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:26   #2150
BHPian

Default Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I'm thinking of getting the new projector headlamps unit installed, read in another thread that it would cost around 23k at the dealership. Anyone any info? Shall I go for it?
raviacc2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 23:20   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Actually, since the rubber pads on my rear suspension was replaced 2 weeks back, I was concentrating to try to get the sound from front. But as luck would have, could not reproduce it. In the end I almost gave up and got fed of banging the car in potholes.
I did not try wit potholes, I think you should experiment with speed breakers.

In my case, for the first 8-10 speed breakers, I could not reproduce the thud from the front. This was because, all the speed breakers around the service center were properly laid (smoother ones). But I hunted around and found a speed breaker which is unscientific (tall and hemispherical, like a tree trunk laid on the road) and then I could easily reproduce the noise at 10-15 kmph. You too can find such speed breakers in your area and bring the Service Manager to that place for the test drive.

Quote:
Congrats on your car. I would love to see an ownership thread, and hear more about how the car rides on highways with the upgraded suspension, and of course the projector lamps.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 27th April 2014 at 23:26.
Old 27th April 2014, 23:28   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I did not try wit potholes, I think you should experiment with speed breakers.

In my case, for the first 8-10 speed breakers, I could not reproduce the thud from the front. This was because, all the speed breakers around the service center were properly laid (smoother ones). But I hunted around and found a speed breaker which is unscientific (tall and hemispherical, like a tree trunk laid on the road) and then I could easily reproduce the noise at 10-15 kmph. You too can find such speed breakers in your area and bring the Service Manager to that place for the test drive.
As you mentioned, an unscientific speed breaker (which has practically no gradient, but a sharp bump), results in the loud thud.

Is this issue pertaining to only the new (2014) version (stiffened) suspension? Is this a cause of concern, since the ride & handling other wise is much improved. I will take it up during my 1st service (having already crossed 600 km in 10 days)
kosh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 23:44   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the new projector headlamps unit installed, read in another thread that it would cost around 23k at the dealership. Anyone any info? Shall I go for it?
Seriously - only 23K? ORR Advaith SAs & Service guys kept on referring to a total spend of 80K!!!
I was left wondering, these guys are worse than Honda & Ford guys, charging exorbitant amounts for any accessories / after market fitments.
kosh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:53   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
As you mentioned, an unscientific speed breaker (which has practically no gradient, but a sharp bump), results in the loud thud.

Is this issue pertaining to only the new (2014) version (stiffened) suspension? Is this a cause of concern, since the ride & handling other wise is much improved. I will take it up during my 1st service (having already crossed 600 km in 10 days)
This issue is common in the pre-2014 models. However, since yours is a 2014 model and you are still facing the issue, in spite of the stiffened suspensions, I infer that the issue persists in the 2014 models also. My guess is that the frequency of the noises may have reduced and also the speed at which the thud noise comes should be higher (>15 kmph, instead of 10-15 kmph).
Old 28th April 2014, 15:15   #2155
BHPian

can any one please tell me the prescribed tyre pressure in Verna SX ? I am driving my new car since few days but somehow feel tyres are under inflated as cornering also on slow speed feels slippery OR is it because of the new tyres ?
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 15:34   #2156
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
can any one please tell me the prescribed tyre pressure in Verna SX ? I am driving my new car since few days but somehow feel tyres are under inflated as cornering also on slow speed feels slippery OR is it because of the new tyres ?
When you open the right door, on the B Pillar there is a sticker with the tyre pressure details. Check it out

If I recollect right, it is 30 psi without load and 32 psi with load.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 16:36   #2157
BHPian

I am facing this intermittent issue on my 2012 SX CRDI (done 19,500 kms).

When I spend long time in traffic jams (read: 1st gear stop and go traffic continuously for 20-30 mins), the gear lever would first get hard and then it would fail to engage any gear. If I force it hard towards 1st or 2nd gear, the lever would move to that position, but when I try to release the clutch, I would hear grinding noise indicating that the gear has not engaged properly.

When this occurs, I stop the car (without switching off), bring the gear lever to neutral, shake it left and right multiple times, then depress the clutch and move the gear lever to various gear positions without releasing the clutch. Repeat this few times till I feel that the hardness in the gear lever goes off. The gears would then engage properly.

I have always faced this issue only when spending prolonged duration in crawling traffic and I never faced this issue in regular city traffic or highways.

My 20K service is due shortly, but it is difficult to recreate this issue as I need to spend a minimum of 20-30 minutes crawling the car and this issue is intermittent. I am not sure if the Service Adviser would be willing to do this. If I can identify some probable causes, then I can ask the service center to perform appropriate tests.

Your inputs would be appreciated!

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 28th April 2014 at 16:48.
Voyager-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 01:21   #2158
BHPian

Guys, I have completed 800 KMS on Verna and im getting FE of 14 in B2B traffice. Car mostly runs on 3rd/2nd gear. I believe this is on lower side, specially on 1.4 CRDI.

It's my first diesel and I'm changing the gears as and when the ECO mode tells me, somewhere near to 1900-2000 RPM. Is it correct shifting or shall i do it closer to 1500 RPM.
raviacc2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 07:24   #2159
BHPian

How easy is it to drive the petrol Verna 1.6l in city traffic. Does it demand frequent gear changes?
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 11:37   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have completed 800 KMS on Verna and im getting FE of 14 in B2B traffice. Car mostly runs on 3rd/2nd gear. I believe this is on lower side, specially on 1.4 CRDI.

It's my first diesel and I'm changing the gears as and when the ECO mode tells me, somewhere near to 1900-2000 RPM. Is it correct shifting or shall i do it closer to 1500 RPM.
Usually FE increases a bit after first oil change.
To take max FE, avoid sudden accelration and braking. Follow the ECO mode.

FE greatly depends on the driving conditions. My 1.6 give around 15 in heavy traffic. But on the highway, with the 6th Gear, it does not come below 20, if driven sanely. Also, the MID FE figure is a little too optimistic, mine shows around 17 in city whereas when calculated on takfull method, I get 15.
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote